Re: Can I ask something controversial?
Posted by: real servant ()
Date: May 18, 2009 08:25PM

This is a great thread I stumbled upon - many views are similar to mine.

At the risk of being promotional, to anyone who enjoyed this discussion, I would reccomend the following book:

The Seeker's Guide (previously published as The New American Spirituality)
by Elizabeth Lesser

Seekers Guide on Amazon

its about being spiritual in your own way but being aware of and avoiding the potential pitfalls.

best wishes on your journey

Posted by: Suitor ()
Date: May 20, 2009 04:31PM

nativeflower
well to those who know me..and those who dont....I think I have come to peace with myself about the cult I was in...after seeing a therapist and taking apart the cultic ideas one by one. well I feel like me again! however a wiser, more skeptical me.

the controversial thing I wanted to ask.... is after this backround info.

(disclaimer note: I am not sharing this with an agenda to preach in any way, but to share of my journey as I dealt with my own recovery)

well it started with totally redefining my notion of God...or no god.
I tried being athiest...I really wanted to be..and I envied you who could just say there is no god. Unfortunately ..or fortunately ..not sure which.. I have a belief in God that "I just know" which many athiests seem to hate that sentance....well I guess either you believe or you dont is what it boils down to. However, neither belief or lack there of, in my view, is wrong..just like different personality types

Anyway so I tried being athiest.....did not work ..so I just stood at bay from my God. Then I experiemented with different beliefs....I took a religion class at college..learned alot about the majority of religions. I then decided to look for "truths" in each religion and discard the rest.
this worked...I decided to search for things that show up in all religions...or at least most religions and concentrate on that. Well that helped me some in my quest for where I belong. I then wrote a paper compairing and contrasting old testiment Christianity with Wicca for my religion class term paper.....mostly for kicks...lol testing the limits of conservatism. :D
then I really became fond of some of the Wiccan ideals of nature and the goddess. so I checked it out for a few months..and decided that the ideals are great ..but the rituals are boring and I refused to join a coven or any organized form of religion. So I took what I felt to be true and continued to move on with my search.

so what is the controversial question? after examining all these religions, and dabbling in some while running from others...I decided that I don't fully fit in ANY religion..but I, however, have a belief is some higher being of sorts. So I have been thinking..is it wrong to just compose my own religion based on my personal beliefs of what is truth to only me. Of course....this is to be my religion not to be shared, preached or taught to anyone else. Just my own journey to what I believe in my heart of hearts. Is that wrong?? I know its a strange thought, but is it in anyway immoral??

any info would be greatly appericated...and again ..I am in no way trying to preach or proclaim...just questioning

best wishes 8)
JoAnne

In retrospect, we all develop our own theology/beliefs. In this journey, my ONLY obligation is to the Messiah. My instructions can only come from HIM. I, like you , was searching. I was searching for the truth to the purpose of this life. But my string was being tugged by YHSHWH-GOD ( Jesus). HE drew me to HIM. Now, I don't recommend you develop your own religion. because as humans we were all living in our own religion before we heard the call of the Messiah. The religion was that of the world. And all things in the world. Some of us were abstinent from drugs, alcohol, and other toxins. Yet led a "good life" according to the law, and the world standards. But I led that life void of the Messiah. So what was my motive for living so squeaky clean?
Because I felt it was the "right-way" to live?
Was it because that is what the culture expected of me?
Was it due to my parental-childhood rearing?
Because that is what a good "American" did?
Perhaps all the above.
Yet I was not living for YHSHWH-GOD ( Jesus). I prefer the original Hebrew name when I refer to God. I recommend others do, but "Jesus" is fine.
So, I was a "good person" for various reasons. However, I was not a person whose motives for living was because of YHSHWH-GOD.
Motive is crucial in our lives. it is crucial when making key decisions, analyzing a situation or person.
So, today I live for YHSHWH-GOD ( Jesus). I do so as a choice. Because HE called me to surrender to HIS call. I do not live according to my own religion. I live my life according to how I feel GOD interprets the Bible to me.
I do not attend a church. My fellowship is with two friends, either phone,( they live 100 miles from me), INTERNET e mails and forums as this. And visits to my friends. And I listen to Charles Stanley daily on the radio or Internet.
I did attend a church for about two years. I did not feel the "main-stream" church was right for me, so I stopped attending. That was 16 years ago. Now, on rare occasion, I do go too a local church that offers a contemporary worship service, I enjoy and ignites HOLY SPIRIT within me. But I have no fellowship there.

My decision to by-pass the traditional "church" was something I felt was conducive to my growth in GOD. I would highly recommend you earnestly seek Jesus on this matter. Should you decide to walk according to HIS love/instructions.
It is my utmost desire you give Jesus a realistic opportunity in your life. You will not regret your decision. Jesus will not disappoint you. But I assure you, people will.
People who call themselves "Christians". And submitting to Gods will and HIS instructions is not always easy or without struggle.
If YHSHWH-GOD ( Jesus) was not real and active in my life, I would not be writing this to you.
Nothing feigned, imagined, or otherwise "out there" regarding GODS existence. HIS reality is as present as the breaths I take.

I hope this helps you in your quest to find the truth.
Sincerely, "Suitor."

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 20, 2009 09:00PM

Suitor:

Please don't use this message board to preach your religious beliefs, which is against the rules.

Date: May 21, 2009 05:16AM

rrmoderator
Suitor:

Please don't use this message board to preach your religious beliefs, which is against the rules.

I responded to a question. Is revealing my faith in "CHrist" considered preaching my religious beileifs?

Date: May 21, 2009 09:04AM

Suitor:

Yes.

I would say that post came across as preaching.

Date: May 22, 2009 05:10AM

rrmoderator
Suitor:

Yes.

I would say that post came across as preaching.

OK. Could you tell me what is accpetable? And the purpose of this forum please?

Date: May 22, 2009 05:27AM

Suitor:

Last response.

The purpose of this message board is not to share your faith, witness, offer testimony or attempt to advise others about their beliefs.

The purpose of this board is to discuss the behavior of destructive cults, controversial groups, movements and leaders.

The focus is behavior not belief.

Date: May 24, 2009 07:31PM

rrmoderator
Suitor:

Last response.

The purpose of this message board is not to share your faith, witness, offer testimony or attempt to advise others about their beliefs.

The purpose of this board is to discuss the behavior of destructive cults, controversial groups, movements and leaders.

The focus is behavior not belief.
I see. However, the original post asked a question that was left open ended. So, I was not intending to convert the poster. But sharing my experiences to give her something to ponder, as I felt that by her question she was seeking a direction.
Thank you for your answer...
Suitor

Date: May 24, 2009 10:13PM

Suitor:

Please avoid doling out religious advice at this message board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.