Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Kiesha Crowther/Little Grandmother - Tribe of Many Colors
Posted by: Crescent ()
Date: December 04, 2010 09:45AM

The Tribe of Many Colors is a group which endorses a New Age interpretation of Native American spirituality, as well as theories about 2012 and pole shifts. It revolves around a woman named Kiesha Crowther, who calls herself Little Grandmother. She claims to be recognized by elders from many different indigenous tribes as well as Buddhist lamas: "The Sioux, the Salish, the Cherokee, the Cheyenne, the Hopi, the Inuit, the Aboriginal people, the Waitaha, the Maori, the Maya, the Zulu, as well as the lamas of Nepal and Tibet". However, not a single elder from any tribe has ever stepped forward to publicly support her claims, as far as i'm aware of.

The "Tribe of Many Colors" mostly seems to be comprised of New Agers on the internet. There are no actual physical communities (yet) that i'm aware of, though i do know of some communities that are not directly affiliated with her, like squatters who have New Age beliefs, who support her message.

-

There is an extensive topic about her on a watchdog forum called New Age Frauds. I am also an active contributor to this topic.

[www.newagefraud.org]

She also claims to be recognized by something called "The Continental Council of Indigenous Elders". According to the people on the New Age Fraud forum however, this is a group of well known people who fraudulently present themselves as being part of a Native American tribe, or being somehow recognized by them, or possessing authentic knowledge of indigenous spirituality. According to New Age Fraud, they in fact have little to do with anything "indigenous" or "elders".

She has held quite a lot of speeches and workshops throughout the United States and Europe (where most of her followers seem to live), and the tickets for these events are quite expensive. Still, from what i've read so far, many of these events have been fully booked. For example, a quote from the above mentioned forum topic, from someone who attended one of her events:
"I wanted to share a first hand report about Keisha Crowther, who this week (october 27 and 28) did three public speakings in a small church in the town of Zeist, the Netherlands. Three times a full house, so all in all Crowther attracted some 1200 people, who paid 39 euro (54 dollars) to see her."
This equals a total intake of roughtly 60.000 USD in two days. I don't know how much she's getting from this, but i suspect it's quite a lot.

-

Her brief biography:

Approximately two hundred years ago, North American Indigenous tribes prophesized a fair-haired girl would become a great Wisdom Keeper/Teacher in our time. That time has arrived according to the Sioux-Salish elders recognizing their predicted Wisdom Keeper as the little fair-haired child Kiesha Crowther. As a child, Kiesha often ran away from her turbulent home life, spending time in the wilderness where she bonded with the animals, including a Great Horned Owl that brought her rodents and fish. Then one day she was visited by a Lady of Light. The next morning everything was different--she noticed the world was filled with light, dots and amazing colors. Voices in the wilderness taught her great wisdom, but she was unable to share this knowledge with her family or friends, fearing their ridicule.

This is the official website & forums of the "Tribe of Many Colors":
[www.tribeofmanycolors.net]

This is her personal website, does not seem to be used a lot:
[littlegrandmother.net]

She has a lot of videos on Youtube and Vimeo, which have been viewed quite a lot:
[www.youtube.com]

She also has a personal Facebook page which is one of her primary means to keep her followers up-to-date, as well as a "Tribe of Many Colors" page:
[www.facebook.com]
[www.facebook.com]

There could be more facebook pages like these, which i have been denied access from.

-

What i consider to be dangerous about all this, is that Kiesha Crowther is a proponent of the 2012 movement, who believes that "immense energies" will come to planet earth in the year 2012. I'm going to quote something from one of her radio interviews, which can be found on the "Tribe of Many Colors" website. Some words may be a little off, but this is how i remember it:
"I say this with all of my knowing, and all of my being. People who are not living in the heart, will not be able to cope with the new energies. To fully enlightened beings, death does not look like death".
From what i've seen, she is also promoting this in her speeches and workshops, though usually in a slightly more subtle way.

The notion of "living in the heart" makes a considerable part of her message. She actively promotes the concept of not thinking, and discarding anything which is perceived as negative. Her signature way of saying this, which i think could potentially also be considered as cult-specific jargon, is "changing the channel".

As such, "People who are not living in the heart, will not be able to cope with the new energies" could be interpreted in a few different ways. The interpretation which seems most plausible to me is that according to Kiesha Crowther, only very friendly people, people who hold on to New Age beliefs, and perhaps people from indigenous tribes (as she promotes herself with these), will survive the year 2012. And, as 'living in the heart' makes a considerable part of her message, she is at the same time encouraging people to become part of the "Tribe of Many Colors", and attend her events, because these provide an excellent way to survive the alleged 'energetic holocaust'.

A quote from the www.newagefraud.org forums about this:

nemesis
I am familiar with these workshops called "living in the heart", "opening the heart", "awakening the heart" etc.

There is a lot of it about and it is a con man's dream.

Basically vulnerable, naive people are told that "big changes" are going to happen in 2012 and that the "old ways of being" (thinking with the brain / mind, being concerned about the future, worrying about money and material things, worrying about what other people think) are bad.

In order to survive 2012 people need to awaken the heart / live in the heart / open the heart / whatever.

This means

1. living in the "now" and not worrying about the future (effectively relinquishing your mental capacity for discernment and critical thinking)

2. relinquishing material things - who needs money and material things when 2012 is just around the corner?

3. understanding that what we think is reality is just a dream / illusion

4. becoming "open" to new realities (no matter how incredible they sound)

5. rejecting external pressures from society, friends and family so you can be your "true self"

6. following a spiritual guru / leader (who kindly agrees to relieve you of the burden of your material things). You learn unconditional love from obedience and devotion to your guru regardless of whatever bad things he or she may do to you.

7. burning karma / working off your karmic debt. The guru will give you tasks, challenges and ordeals to undertake that will help to cleanse you of bad karma accumulated over many lifetimes, in preparation for the big changes in 2012.

8. going to live in a spiritual community so as to devote yourself to spiritual pursuits. By this time you have no money, no home, no car, nothing. Your guru has everything that was once yours and now he owns you too. You can be put to work in a factory, picking cotton, even working in a brothel, all unpaid and all in the cause of paying off your karmic debt. If you don't like it, tough. You have nowhere to go to and no money to get there even if you did. Welcome to slavery, 21st century style.

Kiesha Crowther has often attempted to authenticate her claims about the year 2012 by mentioning a Mayan priest called Alejandro Cirilo Perez (aka. Wandering Wolf), alleged grand elder of the "National Mayan Council of Indigenous Elders" in Guatemala. However, Perez has, several times, publicly denounced the 2012 theories:

[www.ipsterraviva.net]

Many have begun to take seriously the “prediction” that the world will implode within the next two years. But according to Mayan Elder Grandfather Don Alejandro Cirilo, all we need to fear about December 21, 2012 is a slight chance of cloud cover, and “heart attacks caused by too much thinking”.

It seems that Kiesha Crowther has become aware of this inaccuracy in her message, and thus is now endorsing the theories proposed by a well-known figure in the New Age/2012 movement: Bernard Perona (aka. Drunvalo Melchizedek).

-

One of the reasons for me to post to the Rick Ross forums, is that in spite of the forum topic about Kiesha Crowther on New Age Fraud, she has quite a lot of followers who are not willing to examine both sides of the story, and see those forums as: something evil; and/or a disinformation outlet for Native Americans who want to keep their spirituality and prophecies a secret; and/or a malicious propaganda machine of governments who try to keep the public 'enslaved' by denying them access to 'higher truths'. Or whatever else they can think of, to justify their unwillingness to take a look at these forums, and open up to the factual information presented there. Kiesha Crowther supports and encourages them in this, by talking about taking legal action, about how this is a very negative forum, and about how it contains topics about other spiritual teachers who she supports, like Bernard Perona (aka. Drunvalo Melchizedek) and the 'Thirteen Indigenous Grandmothers' and thus, according to her, is not a trustworthy resource.

She has published a response to the New Age Fraud forums here:

Quite a lot of her followers seem to be taken in by this response.

Because of this, i would greatly appreciate it if the people who are active on the Rick Ross forums share their views on Kiesha Crowther and the Tribe of Many Colors.

-

The other reason for me to create a topic here is because of the following video:
[vimeo.com]

A quote from a comment about this video, from the topic on the New Age Fraud forums:

Spandex~Atom
At 5:30:
"...........these peoples prophecies for hundreds of years have been talking about a time on our planet when the poles would shift again, and now it is upon us........for hundreds and hundreds of years the prophecies from indigenous tribal people have been saying "a time would come when Mother Earth would shift and be reborn into her Heaven...(video edit/cut)...and at this time, the people living on planet Earth would have to switch from living a mind-consciousness into a heart-consciousness if they wish to 'enlighten' during this shift...(video edit/cut)...they spoke of a people who would come to the planet, the strongest of the strong of all souls and all spirits to arrive...(cut)...and these people would shift the consciousness from mind-consciousness into heart-consciousness, and change the world...(cut)...and these people would be called 'The Tribe of Many Colours'...(cut)...and we are The Tribe of Many Colours...(cut)...it is us that they were talking about...(video edit/cut)...we are the ones we have been waiting for...(cut)...the pole shift is happening, it is not going to happen, it has allready begun...(cut)...it is no longer a story the Elders are saying will happen, they are saying it Is happening ...(cut).....due north is no longer due north. It is changing all over the planet...(cut)... and the poles will not stop shifting until it is completely shifted....(cut)... "
7:40
"...the ozone layer Is dissappearing. The planets temperature has risen in 2 degrees. ...(cut)... although 2 degrees does not affect the human body it affects wildlife immensely..." (goes on to explain while tears come to her eyes how everything is going wrong in many ways and how the sea life is dying in great ammounts)
10:00
(about the gulf oil spill):"....underneath where it spilled ...(cut)... is a chamber larger than Mt.Everest ...(cut)... full of oil and toxic gas ...(cut)... that is large enough to split North America in two ...(video edit/cut)... even if the smallest ammount of gas leaks out...(cut)... it will kill life in 20 miles inward of land automatically ...(cut)...and that's just if the smallest ammount leaks out...(cut)..."
10:58
"...it is a Universal Law that Mother Earth is sacred to all beings ...(cut)...and it is a Universal Law that Mother Earth will go on ...(cut)...but that humanity will be removed before we kill her ...(cut)...and so now we realise how important the next couple of years are ...(cut)...the poles are allready shifting...(cut)...she will be reborn ...(cut)...but if we wish to go with her we must start living from the heart...(cut)...the more loving you are, the more intelligent you become...(cut)...it is our only chance...(cut)...this is not a story, this is really happening, this is real...(cut)...so many of us are going throughout our days not even being aware of what is happening...(cut)...but this is happening...(cut)..."
11:48
"instead of living in fear...(cut)...what the grandfathers are telling us is is to start living from the heart...(cut)...because the more loving you are, the more intelligent you become...(cut)...if we start being love...(cut)...we get the answers of how to save our planet, and we get to stay...(cut)...if we do not, our children will not have a future...(cut)...this really Is our situation...(cut)..."
12:38
"you were chose...(cut)...because it is said that we are the strongest of the strong souls ever to be on planet Earth...(cut)..."....etc etc

The disjointed video edits increase in frequency and visual dissonance, especially with the introduction of quick transition effects. (creating cognitive dissonance is a technique used to induce suggestability)Together with the photo flashes and the monotone speech, intense repetition , etc, it all adds to a very hypnotic state inducing piece of work, imo. This is so obvious to me that I believe it's too much of a stretch of the imagination to believe it is accidental or unintentional.
In my inexpert laymans opinion, this is a cult-style brainwashing video, unintentional or not.

I would greatly appreciate any comments about this video, as there don't seem to be many or even any people on the www.newagefraud.org forums, who have experience with cult tactics. The video is apparently not made by someone in her 'inner circle' or by someone who got paid; the video channel on which this speech was published contains a lot of different videos of people who are not affiliated with the 'Tribe of Many Colors', as far as i can tell. Still, it's an alarming video.

-

My main reason for wanting to investigate her claims is because i consider myself a former follower, who is concerned about what is going on. Also, my name and place of residence have been published on the "Tribe of Many Colors" forums, by the website admin, as a result of my posts on the New Age Fraud forums. It seems to be purely an act of intimidation, but of course it's not something i'm happy about. Requests to get this information deleted have been denied.

I've tried my best to accurately present all the necessary basic information.
If more is needed, i would be happy to answer any questions, and of course i would suggest anyone interested in investigating this issue to take a look at the [www.newagefraug.org] forums.

Crescent

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kiesha Crowther/Little Grandmother - Tribe of Many Colors
Date: December 24, 2010 02:34AM

Kiesha Crowther is now urging her supporters to wear quartz crystal pendants and to tell their loved ones to do the same, and that these will somehow protect them from the alleged massive bursts of 'energies' coming to earth.

It has also now become evident that the prophecy from Native American spirituality which Kiesha claims to be fulfilling (and claims to be recognized as such by tribes and spiritual traditions from around the world), is that of White Buffalo Calf Woman.

White Buffalo Calf Woman (Lakota: Pte Ska Win), a sacred woman of supernatural origin, is treated as a prophet or a messiah and is central to the Lakota religion. Oral traditions relate that she brought the extended Lakota nation of the Teton Sioux their "Seven Sacred Rituals".

The prophecy is that she will return as a white buffalo calf.

"Quote from Arvol Looking Horse, 19th generation keeper of the original Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe of the Lakota, Dakota, and Nakota Nation of the Sioux (which Kiesha Crowther lays claim to, as being initiated and recognized as a shaman by them):

[www.manataka.org]
"Inikag’a is the oldest ceremony brought to us by Wakan Tanka (Great Spirit). 19 generations ago, the Lakota/Dakota/ Nakota Oyate (people), were given seven sacred rites of healing by a Spirit Woman – Pte San Win (White Buffalo Calf Woman). She brought these rites along with our sacred C’anupa (pipe)
to our People, when our ancestors were suffering from a difficult time. It was also brought for the future to help us for much more difficult times to come. They were brought to help us stay connected to who we are as a traditional cultural People.

In our Prophesy of the White Buffalo Calf Woman, she told us that she would return and stand upon the earth when we are having a hard time. In 1994 this began to happen with the birth of the white buffalo, not only their nation, but many animal nations began to show their sacred color, which is white. She predicted that at this time there would be many changes upon Grandmother Earth. There would be things that we never experienced or heard of before; climate changes, earth changes, diseases, disrespect for life and one another would be shocking and there would be also many false prophets!

My Grandmother that passed the bundle to me said I would be the last Keeper if the Oyate (people) do not straighten up. The assaults upon Grandmother Earth are horrendous, the assaults toward one another was not in our culture, the assaults against our People (Oyate) have been termed as genocide, and now we are experiencing spiritual genocide!"

Kiesha Crowther's supporters are now trying to justify this claim by saying that she is somehow a white buffalo calf, and that the Native American nations are stubborn, racist and primitive not to believe in her, a white woman from outside the reservation.

There are about 5 other white women today that have a website (that people on fraud watchdog forums have found so far), who also claim to be White Buffalo Calf Woman.

The comments in this video reveal the beliefs held among Kiesha Crowther's followers that she is a white buffalo calf: [www.youtube.com]

Official statement from Salish elders (text) regarding Kiesha Crowther on Youtube:
[www.youtube.com]
The same statement as a forum post:
[www.newagefraud.org]

Posted by: maggy ()
Date: December 28, 2010 01:27AM

She now has this link in her site containing, IMHO, a very lame excuse for the statements she made that she is the shaman for the Sioux-Salish people. She claimed to have been initiated by a person named Falling Feather who was not given permission by the tribe. She wasn't even sure if Falling Feathers was from the Flathead reservation or not.

At the bottom she claims that
"those who are closed to the message of love and healing to the planet right now will bicker and accuse - and refuse to see the big picture -as well as the validity of the tribe of many colors."
Wow, here she leaves no room -that those who are questioning her validity are "closed to the message of love and healing."

I feel this woman knows exactly what she is doing including the way she insinuates that the people who question are not on the love and healing path- convincing her followers not to listen to those who are discerning. If she is indeed preaching love and oneness... this is pretty divisive!

"Approximately two hundred years ago, North American Indigenous tribes prophesized a fair-haired girl would become a great Wisdom Keeper/Teacher in our time. " How did these tribes prophesize together 200 years ago?

Can you explain to me who the rest of the Continental Council of Indigenous Elders are?
I am aware of Don Alejandro Cirilo, of the Maya National Council of Elders- in this interview, he says do not believe those who are instilling fear regarding 2012:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 28, 2010 04:35AM

maggy
She now has this link in her site containing, IMHO, a very lame excuse for the statements she made that she is the shaman for the Sioux-Salish people. She claimed to have been initiated by a person named Falling Feather who was not given permission by the tribe. She wasn't even sure if Falling Feathers was from the Flathead reservation or not.

She claims Falling Feathers passed away recently, but that he was a member of a tribal council of Salish elders. Some people who are in contact with/enrolled in native American tribes have tried to find out about this, but couldn't find any mention of him or his passing.

maggy
At the bottom she claims that
"those who are closed to the message of love and healing to the planet right now will bicker and accuse - and refuse to see the big picture -as well as the validity of the tribe of many colors."
Wow, here she leaves no room -that those who are questioning her validity are "closed to the message of love and healing."[/quote]

According to her, these people will die in the year 2012. She mentions this in one of her radio interviews available in the official Tribe of Many Colors website.

maggy
"Approximately two hundred years ago, North American Indigenous tribes prophesized a fair-haired girl would become a great Wisdom Keeper/Teacher in our time. " How did these tribes prophesize together 200 years ago?

They didn't...

maggy
Can you explain to me who the rest of the Continental Council of Indigenous Elders are?

It's most likely a group of public speakers who are well-known in the New Age movement. They have come together at some loosely native-American-styled, New Age spiritual events, like this one:
[www.earthworksforhumanity.org]
It's uncertain who exactly this council is comprised of, but there are many indications that there isn't much 'indigenous' or 'elders' about this council. Most of the 'members' that i know of, like Bernard Perona (aka. Drunvalo Melchizedek), John Kimmey and Adam DeArmon (aka. Adam Yellowbird), are not enrolled in any tribes. In fact, John Kimmey was formally asked by the Hopi Nation to quit posing as a keeper of Hopi prophecy. The tribal preservation office was especially angered by Kimmey making money off his claims about prophecy. Kimmey at first agreed to stop, then reneged on his promise.

Date: December 28, 2010 06:26AM

The denial that she didn't claim to be the shaman for Sioux - Salish people is amazing, after all those videos were posted.

"It is absolutely imperative that I keep the message very clean and very clear. This means being vigilant that the message or my name does not get used to promote anyone’s business or ego-related agenda, to create the appearance of any kind of inner circle, or hierarchical structure."

Interesting, she said this in:
[littlegrandmother.net]
It sounds a bit like a projection, IMHO.

"The council is asking all of us to spread the message that each of us as individuals are responsible for living from the deepest parts of our hearts and we can share our wisdom or what works well for us with those we love but the hierarchy of teacher-student, or master-devotee is over."

No more teacher-student, master-devotee. Yet she speaks like a teacher all over the world, and claims to get messages from ancestors, guides, etc...
If she advocates just speaking from her heart, then she would not need any of these messages from other sources, right?

"Little Grandmother is not a organization; the message has nothing to do with making anyone wealthy, including myself. The message is of love and of enlightenment and we can all do this together."
She contradicts herself again, because it is known that she charges for her speaking engagements. ( I think 60,000$ in 2 days is nothing to sneeze at:).

She quotes from Jamie Sams (1993) and Ed McGaa re "Rainbow Tribe"(1991) - I guess she cannot use that, so she calls it "The tribe of many colors". This is not a new concept at all.

Here she speaks about it, ... over 6 years later. There have been Rainbow Tribe gatherings since 1972, and her statements, and what she claims the structure of the "Tribe of Many Colors" are so similar to what is written on the Rainbow Tribe's website: [www.welcomehere.org]

It seems like everything she says is copied from someone or someplace, maybe just better marketing so it is reaching more people?

Date: December 28, 2010 08:31AM

Thank you., Crescent, for answering my questions.

It seems the more I research and learn, the worst it gets.

Date: January 13, 2011 07:33PM

Here's an article on Kiesha Crowther which includes all anti-fraud research about her to date, including genealogy and all her claims of elders supporting her debunked.

[www.indybay.org]

Tribe of Many Colors or Tribe of Many Dollars?
By Dr. Al Carroll

Kiesha Crowther AKA “Little Grandmother” has garnered a lot of attention, over a thousand followers, perhaps millions in cash, and even more controversy in less than two years. Falsely claiming to be the “shaman” for the “Sioux Salish tribe,” Crowther has gathered an all white, mostly European “Tribe of Many Colors” around her with bizarre claims. Native activists and former followers have vowed to oppose her and expose her.

From Santa Fe to Sweden, Denmark, Germany, and the Netherlands, and soon to that most “American Indian” of places, Palm Springs, Kiesha Crowther draws crowds of hundreds with each gathering of ceremony selling, charging from several hundred to up to $6,000 a person. Crowther is a small red haired woman of 33, yet looks young enough to be a teenager. Adding to the strangeness, Crowther calls herself “Little Grandmother” (she is not one) and often talks in a little girl voice with fanciful (and largely false) stories about her childhood.

Crowther mixes in stories of vulnerability with dire prophecies of doom and fantastic claims, none of which are true. She claims to be the “shaman” for the “Sioux Salish tribe.” She claims to be the descendant of famous Lakota and Salish leaders, with a “fullblood Indian mother” and a grandmother supposedly on the reservation. Crowther claims to be made “shaman” by an alleged Salish elder named Falling Feathers. She claims to be recognized by dozens of tribes from New Zealand to United States to the Arctic Circle to Scandinavia to Central America. She claims to have been recognized by Native tribes at as young as age eight and to be the fulfillment of a supposed prophecy about a “fair haired girl.” She even suggests in one video that she is the returned White Buffalo Calf Woman of Lakota prophecy, a claim sure to outrage the Plains Indian tribes that hold the prophecy sacred.

Yet not a single one of these claims are true. Most are extremely obvious lies.

Who Is The Real Kiesha Crowther?

The real Kiesha Crowther was born Kiesha Rae Kreps in Sanford, Colorado, to a white middle class background, with a truck driver father and a mother owning small businesses. Her mother’s maiden name is Rodda. The Salish tribe she claims to have ancestry from do not have a single known person named Crowther, Kreps, or Rodda, either enrolled or known to the small and close knit community. (Most Salish have Irish last names given them by missionaries. A few Salish have traditional names, but none are ever translated into English.) The Salish elders in fact issued a public statement, saying officially she is not their “shaman,” asking her to quit claiming so, and pointing out no Salish had ever even heard of her. Their statement in full is at the end of this article.

Contrary to Crowther/Krep’s claim of a “fullblood Indian” mother and grandmother, there is no evidence of any Native ancestry in her family line. Her family ancestry has been traced back to her great-grandparents from England. Every census form lists all of her ancestors as white. No one else in the family has ever claimed to be or identified as American Indian, including her mother and grandmother. The only Natives in the family are two children (with no relation by blood) adopted by an uncle near Missoula, Montana. Kiesha Crowther’s mother and other family members have in fact urged her repeatedly to quit lying about the family ancestry.

Kiesha Kreps was raised as a Mormon and baptized into the Mormon Church at age eight at the same time she claims to have been recognized by Indian tribes and living alone in the woods. Crowther was married in the Mormon Church in Littleton, Colorado, and was a practicing member of the church only two years ago. She is married with two children, but separated from her husband and estranged from her entire family due to her “calling.”

In fact, absolutely no one in her family backs her claims of Native ancestry or being a “shaman.” A source very close to the family called her a “fraud” and “elaborate liar.” Numerous stories Kiesha Crowther tells at paid ceremonies are described as “lies,” such as claiming to have lived alone in the woods, nursing a dying owl, and being recognized by tribal leaders. The young Kiesha Kreps was actually fairly popular in school and not the lonely isolated kid she claims. Crowther's stranger lies include once giving a "Viking treasure ring" to her sister, who then noted one could see the trademark symbol on it.

The same source close to the family also claims Crowther’s veterinary degree is fake and came from an online degree mill, with the "degree" printed in notebook style paper rather than the stock paper degrees generally come on. It was also confirmed an animal rescue group Crowther claimed to have started is phony. The same source says Crowther plagiarized the poems she claimed to write and largely copied the paintings and other artwork she did.

Even Kiesha Crowther’s online biography as an artist is filled with falsehoods. She claimed to have been awarded Poet of the Year in 2003, 2004, and 2005 in separate cities. The “awards” are given out by the International Society of Poets, a pay to publish outfit that will include you in vanity editions for twenty five dollars each. She claimed her poem “Reach For My Hands” was made into a song by the “Willow Folk Group.” There is no sign of such a group, but there is a Willow Folk Festival in England. She claimed one of her poems was published in a book, “Poems for Peace,” chosen by former First Lady Laura Bush. There is no sign of the book nor of Laura Bush’s involvement, unless one counts her refusing to show up at a gathering of poets reciting poems opposed to the Iraq War. Crowther’s bio also claims she was “awarded the Life Experience Bachelors and holds a Masters Degree of Art from Almeda University.” Almeda University is an unaccredited online degree mill. In a 2004 expose by CBS News, a reporter successfully got his dog awarded a degree from Almeda.

How It All Began For a Would Be Shaman

Kiesha Crowther/Krep’s claims of how she became a “shaman” have changed rapidly and dramatically in less than two years since she began. In April of 2010, Crowther made the claim she originally had gotten a phone call from a group of all the Salish elders who told her she was the “fair haired child of prophecy” and they had a sacred bundle waiting for her made centuries ago.

But in June of 2010, that account changed. She claims instead an unnamed “Sioux man” made her a shaman.

That same month, Crowther also claimed she was made shaman by a group of “grandmothers” of both the Salish and “Sioux” tribes.

(Note for non-Native people: Natives generally don’t refer to the “Sioux” since this is an outdated outsider’s term. The actual tribes are called the Dakota, Lakota, and Nakoda, often called collectively the Lakota. There are dozens of Lakota bands at reservations and reserves. The Salish is an entirely different people and culture.)

In December 2010, Crowther’s story changed dramatically. No longer was there any mention of groups of women elders, nor of “Sioux men.” Instead she now claims there was a single Salish elder she calls Falling Feathers who made her “shaman for the Sioux and Salish tribes.”

There is no evidence at all that Falling Feathers ever existed, other than Crowther’s claims. Crowther claims he was an important elder, so widely known she assumed he was speaking for all Salish elders. The Salish elders have never heard of him and neither have any other Salish contacted for this article. His alleged name does not fit typical Salish names, which are either Irish or traditional Salish names not translated into English.

Conveniently, Crowther claims Falling Feathers recently died. There is no mention on tribal sites of a prominent elder dying recently. Crowther’s supporter, manager, and longtime friend Jennifer Ferraro also claims Falling Feathers was a member of the “governing council” for the “Confederated Sioux Salish.” Neither of those exists, but there is a tribal council for the Confederated Salish and Kootenai. The Lakota bands and tribes, as mentioned before, are spread across over two dozen reservations and reserves.

Only a few days after her December statement, Crowther changed her story in the most drastic way yet. She now claims to have never been teaching Native ways at all. This despite dressing up in American Indian regalia (though it was a shirt only worn by Native males), using what she seems to have believed was American Indian face paint, using what she claims was a Native pipe, and claiming her initiation came from Native elders, or alternately, a single Native elder who has passed away no one else ever heard of.

Crowther has also continually claimed the endorsement of numerous indigenous elders and other religious leaders, without evidence. Many of those she claims are Native elders actually are imposters.

She claims the endorsement of Cherokee elders. None of the traditional Cherokee elders in the Eastern Band ever heard of her.

She claims to have been recognized as a shaman by “lamas of Nepal and Tibet.” There are hundreds of such Buddhist teachers, but the only one she ever named was Lakha Lama, whom she met in Sweden. Lakha Lama gave her a blessing when Crowther asked for one, but this is neither an endorsement nor recognition, only kind words. Buddhist lamas, like American Indian traditionalists, also condemn teaching for a fee, especially very high fees as Crowther does.

Crowther also for a time claimed Sammi elders in Sweden authorized and endorsed her. Then her claim was removed from her websites. She further claimed Inuit elders gave her a crystal “from the North Pole” and that she was “giving the crystal back to the Sammi” when she buried the crystal in Sweden. There is no land, only ice at the North Pole. Crystals do not form in ice, only in land. Geologists consulted for this story say it likely is an ordinary crystal bought in a shop for less than 200 dollars, one dug up by strip mining.

On one of her visits to Sweden she claimed all Native tribes recognized and endorsed her, and that she was shaman for all of them. Since there are over 500 tribes in the US alone, the absurdity of this claim is obvious.

More recently, Crowther also claimed she was made shaman by a “Sioux” named Grandmother Lota or Lootha. Crowther also claims to be related to “Sioux” she calls Ciqalah Lotah and Ciqala Jensen. Fluent Lakota speakers we spoke to pointed out those words do not exist in the Lakota language. No one in any of the Lakota communities we contacted ever heard of Crowther or the people she claims to be related to or authorized her.

Crowther also claims the endorsement of Don Alejandro Cirilo Perez, sometimes called Wandering Wolf. Perez is a Mayan leader who appears on a number of New Age sites. However, there is no evidence of Perez ever endorsing Crowther. Perez is actually on record as strongly disagreeing and even mocking the claims of Crowther and other that the world will end in 2012. The maker of a documentary on Perez and Crowther denounced in fierce terms the “exploitation” of Perez by New Agers such as Crowther.

Crowther also is an associate of and claims the endorsement of two imposters who falsely claim to be Native elders, Adam DeArmon, a white New Age operator in Sedona, and John Kimmey, a white New Ager barred from the Hopi reservation and condemned by Hopi spiritual leaders for selling ceremony and making false claims.

The (All White) Tribe of Many Colors

Why would a self styled “shaman” who spent most of two years claiming Native elders authorized her suddenly claims to have never been doing Native teachings? Numerous family and friends of Crowther’s followers, as well as former followers, began to ask Native activists about the authenticity of her claims. By September of 2010, the chorus of criticism began to rise and put Crowther and her management on the defensive.

Crowther’s following she dubbed the Tribe of Many Colors has some striking characteristics. It has absolutely no Native members at all (including Crowther.) Outside of a member of Crowther’s management team, all seem to be exclusively white. Much like the Tea Party, they are also prone to throwing around the claim that they are hated supposedly for being white.

Such a claim falls apart because many of her critics are themselves white, especially former followers. The claim is even more striking because of the racism in some of the imagery and words used by Crowther and her “tribe.” In one trip to Sweden, Crowther spoke about the alleged superiority of Swedish people over all others. Crowther frequently claims all Native elders, or even all Native people, are supporting her, waiting for her, and depend upon her and her message even for their very survival. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. Most Natives never heard of her. Those that have are strongly opposed to her.

Who is behind Crowther’s rapid rise among New Age leaders? Our source very close to the family says Crowther has no computer skills nor business or organizing acumen, nothing that could account for her success except a vivid imagination. The same source attributes everything Crowther has done to two people and one group; Adam DeArmon AKA Adam Yellowbird, a white New Age operator in Sedona; Santa Fe Soul, which sponsors some of Crowther’s talks; and especially Crowther’s longtime friend Jennifer Ferraro. Our source described Fierro as a failed performance artist who claims to be Native but is actually Italian and Greek. Online discussions between Crowther and Ferraro seem to show Ferraro as the real brains of the operation, the power behind the throne, her manager, website operator, and even her director. Crowther defers to her in public talks, and Ferraro frequently talks in one messages to Crowther like a mother to a small child.

Our source close to the family is worried the Tribe of Many Colors will "become another Jonestown" and is at a loss for how her family can get her to see sense. Whether the “tribe” self destruct violently is yet to be seen, but they are extraordinarily intolerant of dissent or criticism of any kind. Its website was heavily censored, with any daring to question Crowther kicked out. Recently their website was so overwhelmed by dealing with criticism it was taken down entirely. Crowther’s inner circle, especially Ferraro, have begun throwing around legal threats at any who dare to critique Crowther. Ferraro, though she is not a lawyer, sent threats to sue to at least five people. The “tribe” also sent infiltrators to sites critical to Crowther to gather information on critics.

There are currently plans for a book by Crowther, and two documentaries, one favorable to her and one critical. There are also ongoing plans for protests of Crowther’s ceremony selling by Native activists and her many non-Native critics. The Salish tribal council is considering legal action. The controversy is not going away.

Dr. Al Carroll is a historian, professor, former Fulbright Scholar, and activist for Native causes. His first book is Medicine Bags and Dog Tags: American Indian Veterans From Colonial Times to the Second Iraq War from University of Nebraska Press.

Research for this article includes contributions by numerous activists, former followers, Sky Davis and T. Tavares, and a source very close to the Crowther family. Annika Banfeld translated articles and radio interviews from Swedish to English.

Statement of the Salish Elders:

"The Culture and Elders Committee of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation protect the intangible cultural resources of the tribes including language, songs, stories etc.

"No tribal Elders or elders have met with nor do they condone the claims and actions made by Kiesha Crowther.

"She is not their 'shaman', she has no right to claim this title and the Elders and elders of CSKT of the Flathead Reservation would like her to cease and desist immediately from making such false claims that erode the traditions that members of the CSKT Culture and Elders Committee are trying to preserve."

The posting of this statement came with the permission and urging of the Salish elders. Anyone doubting this message's authenticity can contact the Flathead Reservation.

Date: January 13, 2011 11:58PM

Wow. Thank you for that informative post.

I emailed Grandfather Alejandro's Shift of the Ages Site a couple of weeks ago,
and the coordinator responded (by email) that Wandering Wolf does not support Kiesha Crowther's teachings,
and that she mentions his name without his permission.

Date: January 14, 2011 12:35AM

Thanks for sharing that, i never thought of checking that claim up for validation... doesn't surprise me though. I think i have never met a more elaborate liar than Kiesha Crowther... When i first found her videos and her messages, it generally felt positive, and it seemed plausible to me that she was really recognized by the "Sioux/Salish" tribes, because i didn't know anything about them or about indigenous spirituality. I guess this is the case for many if not all of her supporters.

Later on it just got scarier and stranger with the 2012 mumbo jumbo and more and more talk of Crowther's supposed extremely extraordinary abilities, and i noticed how i personally had actually regressed in my emotional development since i found this Tribe of Many Colors stuff... i was overly sensitive and could get really angry about very small issues, things that i would otherwise just laugh about. Stuff like this is bad for people's psyche. I've learned a lot though and i'm fully recovered now, lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 12:40AM by Crescent.

Date: January 14, 2011 05:34AM

The coyote is as good of a teacher as anyone else! Lol... Congratulations to you, me and everyone who are passing this discernment test! Another lesson learned, a thousand more to go, lol:)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.