Attitudes at work:Dealing with non-Jews can be tricky
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: July 13, 2002 12:19AM

As I mentioned in "The Ancient Israelites", dealing with some non-Jews, especially religious ones, can be tricky. They always seem to try to invalidate the experiences of non-orthodox Jews.
I think they have Jews stereotyped and want to keep it that way to make it easy to deal with Jews.
I had talks with some, who thought they knew more about Judaism than I did. It seems the only Jews who they think know anything are orthodox Jews and I'm not sure if it's because that's what their churches teach them, or that's what the orthodoxy has everyone believing.
One woman at work told me, "... it's in Aramaic", when discussing a certain prayer. It wasn't, it was in Hebrew. And another prayer, specifically the Kaddish which IS in Aramaic she tried to tell me was in Hebrew.
Another person, a former boss, who I usually got along with very well, gave me some bunk about my not knowing "ancient Hebrew", ie, "authentic ancient Israelite expressions of devotion acceptable even to Christians of the modern era."
If I had my wits about me, I should have told him that "I went to ancient Hebrew school".

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.