Please help with my research?
Posted by: hayleybay ()
Date: August 17, 2010 07:14AM

Research suggests that having faith in traditional religions is associated with better health and wellbeing. Recently, belief in traditional religion has decreased and increasing numbers of people are finding faith in New and Non Traditional Religious groups. I am an honours student at Victoria University of Wellington, NZ (supervisor: Marc Wilson) and am interested in the effects membership in these groups has on people – whether membership in non-traditionally religious groups show similar advantages. If you are or have been involved in a traditional or non-traditional religion and are 16 years or older, I would appreciate your contribution to my research by completing a 20 minute survey at the following link: [www.surveymonkey.com]

Thanks so much!
Hayleybay :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please help with my research?
Posted by: yasmin ()
Date: August 17, 2010 11:39PM

Hi Hayleybay,
I suspect you might have a problem with selection bias if you use people from this site to identify whether or not people in general have good experiences with new religious movements; it is after all a site dedicated to helping people recover from destructive or negative group experiences.
Unlikely you will get many positive reports from anyone.
A bit like going to a site dedicated to victims of abusive priests and asking for good reviews of traditional religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 11:49PM by yasmin.

Posted by: shakti ()
Date: August 17, 2010 11:47PM

What Yasmin said. Yes, not a very scientific place to get results from. We're biased as heck around here. But who can blame us? Read the stories on "Gentle Wind" for example, if you want to see the kind of stuff we are hardened by...

Posted by: AbundantLifeNow ()
Date: February 13, 2011 10:02PM

I was in a cult myself for a short time but I didn't know it was a cult then. Now I'm doing some more research into cults as a part of my healing.

Has anyone heard that there is a book being written about the Jesus Christians Cult and if you know who the author is could you send me the persons name in a private messages as I need to get in touch with them. I have some info for the book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.