Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What is The Secret?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 03, 2011 08:12AM

For a URL to the full text of Ari B.'s How The Secret Saved My Life, go here.

[sguforums.com]

This post was discussed here. There are rumors that pissed off humorless people flagged the review and tried to have it removed from its original venue on Amazon (in the book reviews for The Secret).

This list of comments includes a review for Prometus' Colon Cleanse.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 11:56PM by corboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sile ()
Date: November 09, 2011 10:41AM

The Secret is interesting.

The packaging and lingo is far too--I dunno, infomercially for me. However, it did open my eyes to realizing how much I focus on the problem, rather than the goal. That alone made it worth the read.

We're probably all aware of the basketball experiment in the 1970s (?), where half the athletes actually practiced free throws, and the other half stood at the free throw line envisioning themselves making free throws--the envisioners' stats improved more than the actual shooters'.

In other words, there are proven cases in which envisioning the desired goal is not only important, it's actually more effective than traditionally-accepted methods of attaining the goal. So, it would seem "envisioning positive outcome" really does have bearing on the outcome, at least in some cases.

Maybe the message is simply that we underestimate the power/effectiveness of our own minds.

Posted by: yasmin ()
Date: November 10, 2011 12:41AM

Hi Sile,
Yes the basketball study was interesting;apparently if you want to learn a physical skill, practicing in your mind can be helpful.Equally some studies have shown that setting long term goals helps people achieve them.
yet inmo,people sometimes take these basic facts and move on to "I can control the world with my thoughts" a whole different kettle of fish..
Have never yet met anyone from the "people are sick because they aren't highly evolved enough to realize they can change their reality with their thoughts" brigade who can demonstrate significant visible solely thought based changes to their own physical body.
Hair color for example. Have yet to meet anyone who can change their hair color by their thoughts.Yet if they are able to change their underlying dna, think away illness etc, hair color should be an easy one..And very easy to demonstrate.Look, its brown,and now its red.
Yet these same people are sometimes willing to blame others for not being "spiritual enough" to make much more dramatic changes within their own bodies.
( It is my personal belief that faith, prayer etc have an important part in my and many other peoples lives. But I am also a believer in" Pray to God , but row towards the shore." Or in another version "Pray to Allah, but remember to tie up your camel" )
To give another example, drinking poison and imagining you can think away its effects is bloody stupid.( and unless you have a good friend and a hospital near by, likely to be your last mistake.)
I think the problem is that in some cases, ideas like the secret stop people from taking obvious sensible actions.A case in point would seem to be the James Arthur Ray sweat lodge. I suspect he believed that because he was thinking right, nothing bad could happen. Unfortunately, the real world does not work that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2011 12:43AM by yasmin.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.