Research Help
Posted by: Jmiller1616 ()
Date: January 11, 2005 07:13AM

Hello everyone;

I am doing a research paper for my english class on the relationship between religious movements and social, economic, and political changes going on at the same time. I was wondering if anyone had any information for me on such things. So far I have Heaven's Gate, Jonestown and a couple of other millenarian cults/movements. I'd be greatly appreciative of any help you guys can give me.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Research Help
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 11, 2005 08:34PM

Professor Janja Lalich has a new book 'Bounded Choice' on the way decision making patterns are affected when one is in high demand groups.

She examined Heaven's Gate in great detail, and because she is a sociologist, paid close attention to the social context at the time the group began and as it developed over the years. Lalich was also in a political cult that hoped to change the world, and describes the social background she was in at the time she joined.

Dr. Lalich is a faculty member in the Department of Sociology at Cal State, Chico. She may be able to point you toward additional books and articles.

Good luck with your paper.

Research Help
Posted by: Toni ()
Date: January 11, 2005 08:37PM

There is a special section on the AFF website to help those who are researching coercive persuasion / thought reform/ cultic recruitment. They can provide the various appropriate references for your research paper.

This is a great topic for you to bring to the attention of your classmates! These groups are so successful partially because the general public denies the existence of their effective tactics ... good to know to watch out for 'the big bad wolf in sheep's clothing'

The RickRoss.com website has a wealth of information - click on the above links to various parts of this site, for newpaper articles, etc.

Also, I suggest that you click around on the following link for research help :

www.csj.org

Research Help
Posted by: Jmiller1616 ()
Date: January 11, 2005 10:50PM

Thans alot for the information. That looks like it will be a great help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.