Falun Gong Cult on streets of NYC
Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: December 17, 2004 11:15AM

Hi all -

The Falun Gong cult has been aggressive recruiting and spreading misinformation throughout Manhattan, NYC in the past few weeks. Thus far I have seen them in the following places:

- outside the Helmsley Building downtown, 140 Bway, near Ground Zero. They have set up a about 20 people in between the bomb barriers, along with a person sitting in a cage, a person sitting with their hands tied behind their back w/fake blood, and a person tied up in a semi-crucified position w/fake blood. Also people handing out cult literature.

- around the intersection of 33rd and Bway, near Koreatown and the Garden, on the traffic island

- outside CNN studios around 52nd and Sixth, also with person in semi-crucified position and a large banner

- outside of Grand Central, on the corner of 42nd and Vanderbilt, handing out cult literature, near Modell's

These are some of their larger operations, and they also have smaller recruitment operations scattered throughout the city.

Matt

Posted by: huw ()
Date: January 04, 2005 08:44PM

They're not recruiting, just informing people about the persecution taking place in Mainland China. The practitioners in cages, etc are demonstrating torture methods used in labour camps to force practitioners to renounce the practise.

When you say 'misinformation' what do you mean?

Posted by: Scott1 ()
Date: January 19, 2005 11:33AM

I work on Wall St in New York and encounter Falun Gong protestors every single day. While normally sensitive to the plight of persecuted groups, these folks have definitely gotten on my nerves. It's not the photos of tortured people. We all need to see what's going on the world. It's the persistence of the leaflet people. How many times can I read the pamphlets? I'm not the secretary of state. My influence over the Chinese government is quite limited. Also, as someone mentioned in a prior post, the 'actors' in the cages, staging the abuse by Chinese authorities, seems like torture in itself. These folks are even out there now in the bitter winter cold. Something is odd about all of this. I do often sense that I am encountering a cult. But I don't know. Just an impression.

Posted by: Linnie52 ()
Date: March 17, 2005 07:58AM

Hi all,
Yes, I too have seen the Fauln Dafa Practitioners giving out the pamphlets in Manhattan and holding up banners, etc. I started Falun Dafa exercises solely with the intention of health improvement but then realized that there is also principles and beliefs one must adhere to in order for healing to occur. I am Catholic and do not intend to change my religion and beliefs. I think the idea of doing good which they encourage is fine - they are also peaceful, which is also fine, but the ideas for my own spirituality make me uneasy. However, I am not an expert and do not know if this is a cult. I think they are trying to recruit support for their cause regarding persecution in China, which is fine too. Did the city grant a permit for this? I know that the Borough President of Brooklyn has endorsed Falun Dafa on Falun Dafa Day last May. Why not write letters to the US officials for support? I guess they want to expose the mistreatment in China and this is their way of doing so. Perhaps word gets out to the Chinese govermnment more easily this way...public displays, etc. rather than letters to US officials. Not sure about it all. Just thinking out loud.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 17, 2005 08:56PM

I have received very serious complaints from families about Falun Gong.

Some of those complaints centered upon someone not taking medication and/or receiving proper medical care because they believed the group practice and/or Li Hongzhi would heal them.

Li Hongzhi teaches this and disturbing emails I have received from Falun Gong true believers confirm it.

It seems like Mr. Hongzhi wants it both ways.

That is, to make health claims that entice new recruits, but then carefully take steps to avoid any responsibility by creating a premise for plausible denial.

No scientific study has provided objective evidence that might substantiate any of the healing claims regarding the exercises.

Li Hongzhi is a racist and bigot.

See [www.cultnews.com]

A new Web site has interesting information about the group.

See [antifalun.ce.ro]

Re: Falun Gong Cult on streets of NYC
Posted by: maxlong ()
Date: July 30, 2019 10:54AM

The right to peaceful assembly is a subcomponent of the very first constitutional amendment and a cornerstone to our modern understanding of “freedom.” However, in this time of social turmoil, it is necessary to ensure that these rights— these privileges— are not being abused by certain parties.

One case of such abuse lies in the example of a group known as Falun Gong, which exploits the aforementioned right to peaceful assembly to a fault. Falun Gong, a spiritual movement that originated in China before recently spreading to the West, preaches a way of promoting health by being open to “universal energies.” The group has come to spread its practice in major metropolitan areas by handing out flyers in the street and hosting periodic parades.

Now, these parades are proving to be a severe headache for much of the populace of these affected areas. Despite the rights listed in the first amendment giving Falun Gong practitioners the legal ability to host their gatherings, citizens of the areas in which the parades occur have to deal with the repercussions in their everyday lives. The parades contribute to traffic jams, noise, and litter, while the police resources used to direct traffic and block roads serve as a major drain for taxpayer money.

On another note, there is a possibility that members of Falun Gong practice with motives other than health in mind. Due to the persecution of Falun Gong in mainland China, many who seek political asylum come to the United States. As such, the excuse of political asylum is often used as a guise for “practitioners” to gain quick entry to the country, all-the-while delaying the entry for other groups who end up having to wait longer to be processed into the nation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.