Negative and abusive response
Posted by: maryjoycegreen ()
Date: November 27, 2009 05:25PM

I want to start by saying Thank you to the members of the board who have sent positive and supportive comments to me personally. It was very hard sending my Life Story to
www.bbc.co.uk/mystory/stories/family-and-friends/151208/ Title: The Impossible Dream. Yesterday I recieved the first negative and aggressive emails but I expected a lot more. I just wanted to say how it uplifted me to recieve the kind words from individuals from this Forum THANKS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negative and abusive response
Posted by: Mary Struggler ()
Date: November 28, 2009 12:33PM

I can imagine the negative responses. I get them all the time in response to my blog. They say I'm a liar, I'm not helping my cause by making up stories, I'm paranoid, I need psychiatric help to distinguish reality from fiction, etc.

It shakes me, yes, but I know that I am helping people by talking about my former organization. These types of responses come from members or supporters who are trying to discredit you and/or to cow you into shutting up. I'm particularly shaken by a recent e-mail blitz with over a hundred hateful e-mails, all of which I pained myself to respond to, just to have the replies come back daemon.

I'm in this for the long haul. You sound like you are too. I don't know if it'll ever get better or not but I know I'm not going to curl up into the fetal position and let my former organization win. That's the price people like you and me pay for telling our stories. I can live with it. You can too. We become stronger in the process. Good luck.

Mary Struggler

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 28, 2009 11:33PM

If a group is deceptive and abusive, and adroit at PR image management, daring to go public with abuse reports is a tough thing to do.

The first persons who dare to break the code of silence often get horrible flak.

The more abusive a group is, the deeper the shame implants installed in members,
and the longer it takes for people to find their voices and speak up.

It can take years. So all one can do is think long term, make sure you get excellent
social support and dont burn out. Plant seeds of information for other persons to use.

Date: December 05, 2009 05:53PM

Thanks for your supportive comments Mary. It is a comfort to know I am not alone in my views or the negative views that come our way. Take care.

Date: December 05, 2009 05:55PM

Thanks corboy for your comments. We have to stick together and confront and face the negative views that come our way. Take care.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.