Current Page: 100 of 155
Re: James Arthur Ray - breach of contract, consumer fraud, FTC
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 04, 2010 08:34AM

Good thing people are fighting back against these LGAT seminar scam-artists and crooks. These sorts of scams are going on all over the place.
"breach of contract, consumer fraud and unjust enrichment."
3 women ripped off for thousands each. It sure sounds like consumer fraud to try to sell "nothing", then cancel it, and keep the money. That's fraud.
Maybe the FTC will also be looking into these scams and rip-offs. The FTC Federal Trade Commission can fine and try to send people to jail too.
Kevin Trudeau [www.skepdic.com]
Search:

kevin trudeau ftc

If there are 1000 people who got scammed for a conservative $5,000 each, that is 5 million dollars.
Hopefully when the courts liquidate James Rays assets, those who have gone after it will get a chunk of their money back.

In the Gentle Wind Project scam [www.culteducation.com] which was covered in these threads by the actual people involved, some people got some money back from the Attorney General.

This is yet another reason why one should NEVER EVER pay in advance for these dishonest fly-by-night LGAT seminar companies, like James Ray International, or ANY of the other ones. They ALL run their companies in debt without assets, they are all run as shell companies, for this very reason.

When a salesperson tries to force you to pay in advance for anything you tell them NO NO NO, and NO. The customer has the power, as long as they remember that.
Never let a professional salesperson make you sweat, turn the tables.
An even easier strategy is to decide to never attend another rip-off LGAT style seminar again in ones life.

Posted: 04/03/2010

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz.—An Arizona self-help guru charged with manslaughter in the sweat lodge deaths of three people has been sued by several people who contend they lost out on thousands of dollars paid in advance for self-help seminars that were never conducted.
A lawsuit filed late Friday in Maricopa County Superior Court contends James Arthur Ray and his Carlsbad, Calif.-based company, James Ray International, misled plaintiffs during sales pitches for the events and haven't responded to calls or letters requesting refunds.

Ray has been named in other civil lawsuits that accuse him and the owners of the retreat where he held a deadly October sweat lodge ceremony of negligence, fraud and other actions. Sweat lodge ceremonies commonly are held by American Indian tribes to cleanse the body.

The lawsuit accuses Ray of breach of contract, consumer fraud and unjust enrichment. It names three plaintiffs but estimates up to 1,000 people are similarly situated.

Susan Smyser of Las Vegas, paid nearly $8,000 for two events; Patricia Franklin of Mesa paid almost $3,350 for two events; and Kim Wilson of Los Angeles paid more than $12,500 for four events, according to the lawsuit.

The plaintiffs contend Ray used prepaid fees to cover past events or fund his own wealth. They also say he lacked the assets or capital to conduct events or refund advanced fees without continued sales and collection of those fees....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 08:54AM by The Anticult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: James Arthur Ray - breach of contract, consumer fraud, FTC
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 04, 2010 09:13AM

Amazing how Kevin Trudeau tries to spin his own frauds and convictions. They are actually posting the information about his frauds on his own website, their spin seems to be to try to make Kevin Trudeau's followers think that the "government conspiracy" is trying to put Kevin Trudeau in jail, for revealing "health secrets they don't want you to know".
So they try to use his frauds as evidence of a government conspiracy against him.
Talk about Reframing.
Trying to a fraudster into a Freedom Fighter. Only one thing will stop a guy like that...the Graybar Hotel.

Maybe the FTC will also investigate James Arthur Ray. Those who have complaints can make them.

www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm
FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection - Consumer Information
...The Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency, collects complaints about companies, business practices,

_______________quote______________
[www.ktradionetwork.com]
Kevin Trudeau held in criminal contempt, facing jail time

February 22, 2010 by Andrew
Filed under Chicago Sun-Times, Kevin In The News

Chicago Sun Times

By Natasha Korecki

Kevin Trudeau, the slick, silver-tongued infomercial king and best-selling author amassed a fortune over years of persistent, late-night hawking.

This week, he made the wrong sales pitch.

Trudeau was found in criminal contempt of court Thursday and nearly had handcuffs slapped on him after he asked his supporters to email the federal judge overseeing a pending civil case brought against him by the Federal Trade Commission.

U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman said he was flooded with hundreds of “harassing, threatening and interfering” emails, locking up the judge’s email system and shutting down his Blackberry for part of the day.

“This is direct contempt — that’s how I view it,” Gettleman said. “He interfered with the direct process of the court.”

Gettleman hauled Trudeau into court a day after he posted a message on his Web site with his appeal. Gettleman ordered Trudeau to turn over his passport, pay $50,000 bond and warned he could face future prison time.

Gettleman, on his own authority, can sentence Trudeau to up to six months in prison. In addition, the judge referred the matter and the emails to the U.S. Marshals Service, which investigates threats to judiciary.

“This is the first time we are addressing an email blast or something that’s disrupted the court’s email system,” said Acting U.S. Marshal John O’Malley.

Trudeau, who also hosts his own radio show and has served prison time for credit card fraud, appeared in court tanned and tieless, wearing a black mock turtleneck and navy blue suit coat.

Trudeau, who has a residence in Hinsdale, refused to talk after court, even remaining silent when twice asked his age. He’s 47.

After being called on the carpet by the judge, he sent a follow-up email to his supporters telling them:

“That was a mistake. It was wrong to make that request,” Trudeau said. “Please do not under any circumstances communicate with the court or Judge Gettleman.”

“I don’t have confidence in your client,” Gettleman told Trudeau’s lawyer. “I do insist that, if he is to avoid custody today, he post bond.”

The Federal Trade Commission has labeled Trudeau a fraud and got a court order in 2004 to curtail his business.

Trudeau has sold millions of books, in part with the pitch that the government is trying to keep him from telling dieters the truth with his “The Weight-Loss Cure They Don’t Want You to Know About,” which has become a best-seller.

Gettleman previously has banned Trudeau from making infomercials for three years, fined him more than $5 million, then raised that fine to more than $37 million — the amount the FTC figured Trudeau made on the book via his infomercials. An appeals court said the ruling was too broad and sent it back to the judge. Gettleman was still weighing the matter when he was deluged with emails Wednesday.

Trudeau has pitched miracle health cures, also saying the government wants to keep the public from knowing about natural remedies.

In a recent on-air radio broadcast, Trudeau talks about wanting to land a TV show. If Fox gave him the chance, he said he’d be: “Bigger than O’Reilly. Bigger than Glenn Beck.”

Stephen Barrett, the creator of Quackwatch.org, has for years labeled Trudeau a fraud.

“He struck me as somebody who (believes he) is omnipotent. That is, no one can touch him,” Barrett said. “That’s almost been the case.”

Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: April 04, 2010 05:46PM

In the case of Trudeau's following I would think that he is tapping into a feeling of deep discontent with his "what 'they' don't want you to know about"---the 'they' can be whatever body or entity the follower feel aggrieved about, wealthier folks, the government, doctors, 'the illuminati', --any body of persons who can be perceived as 'other', not 'us'

What keeps them under Trudeau's control is the commitment they have made by buying his product, buying into his worldview, another of Cialdini's principles of persuasion:

'Commitment and Consistency - If people commit, orally or in writing, to an idea or goal, they are more likely to honor that commitment. Even if the original incentive or motivation is removed after they have already agreed, they will continue to honor the agreement. For example, in car sales, suddenly raising the price at the last moment works because the buyer has already decided to buy.'

[en.wikipedia.org]

The continuing commitment in the face of such clear evidence to the contrary was also illustrated by Festinger and others in his book "When Prophecy Fails"

[en.wikipedia.org]

Zizek, a modern academic philosopher, has an interesting take on this: that it is not belief that drives the believer to the extremes that suicide bombers and sucidal cults adopt, but rather doubt, which he terms 'suicidal doubt'
He postulates that as articles of faith are by their nature unprovable, doubt is present in the minds of even the most ardent of believers and it is the continuing effort to overcome or disprove the doubt that drives the behaviour to ever greater extremes.
The following link is one man's interpretation of this, Zizek himself is Slovenian and not particularly easy to listen to unless you have a real interest in the controversial ideas he puts forth.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 05, 2010 04:12AM

DeathRay has posted his second 'teaching' video to YouTube, the one with the thinly disguised LGAT sales ladder.
I'm not suggesting that this makes worthwhile watching, just that the YouTube venue allows for some honest feedback should anyone feel so inclined:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Jeannika ()
Date: April 06, 2010 12:37AM

I meant to post this earlier, but my husband and our dogs were attacked by a pit bull last week. (My husband's better and both dogs survived surgery ... they're OK now as well)

Thank you for the wonderful responces to my last post. You guys blow me away. The wealth of collective knowledge on this site is priceless.

Love and care,
Jeannika

On Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - The day AFTER Mr Ray posted his first (I've gott'a passion to help and provide value, video) ... I received the following email from James Ray International (the company he states is currently defunct).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"fromJames Ray <jamesray@jamesray.com>
tojeannika

dateTue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM
subjectHigh Velocity: The "X" Files
mailed-byvps3880.inmotionhosting.com
Images from this sender are always displayed. Don't display from now on.
hide details Mar 30 (5 days ago)

High Velocity E-Zine
The "X" Files

Dear Jeannika,
The world's greatest achievers are and always have been working with Harmonic Wealth®. Those with Harmonic Wealth are creative and innovative. They always find a way to bring home the results. They get the job done!

Are you ready to learn a powerful technique to increase your creativity? Well if so, here's what I'm going to ask you to do. First, I am going to assume you have a goal that you want to achieve. If not, that's the first step. You need to decide what you want to create in your life. Make sure it's big, bold and exciting.

Once you have your goal, get a blank piece of paper and draw a large "T" on it so that it fills up the entire page. On the left side, I want you to write, "Why I Can't." And on the right side of the "T", I want you to write, "How I Can."

Lots of success programs tell you what to do, but only the Harmonic Wealth Weekend shows you how to think and create the life you really want...

As with anything in life, there are obviously several reasons why you can't. But the reality is that these reasons are nothing more than dream stealers and energy drainers. They will keep you from realizing your goals and dreams. So on the left side of the paper, put a big "X". Once you've drawn the "X", there's no room for the ideas as to why you can't.

Now, get busy... From this moment on, only allow yourself to focus on all the reasons it will work or all the creative ways you can accomplish your goal. Get as many as you can. No idea is a bad idea, and you can edit them later. When your mind begins to wander into how it won't work or can't be done, pull out the weeds and get right back to the actions that will bring you your fruit.

To your continued wealth and happiness," (how swarmy one man be???)

"James Arthur Ray
President/CEO
James Ray International

P.S. Conventional wisdom is wrong again... Balance is bogus! Only harmony yields happiness and real wealth... Join me for two full days of complete immersion into insights and technologies that are guaranteed to help you achieve true Harmonic Wealth® in all areas in your life: Financial, Relational, Intellectual, Physical and Spiritual.
Reserve your seat early! Click for dates, locations and more information..."

Attached was the following link:
[harmonicwealthweekend.com]
-----------------------------------------------------------------

It would seem that James Ray International isn't nearly as dead as Mr Ray would have us believe. It's obvious his YOUtube blatherings and mass emails are just a preamble to him holding seminars again. I wonder how that's working out for him?

Jeannika

Posted by: wondriwhy ()
Date: April 06, 2010 06:58AM

That phrase that JAR uses "Balance is Bogus" Is probably the most annoying phrase I have ever heard anyone ever use..It means absolutely nothing!! As does most of what he says..

Jeannika
I meant to post this earlier, but my husband and our dogs were attacked by a pit bull last week. (My husband's better and both dogs survived surgery ... they're OK now as well)

Thank you for the wonderful responces to my last post. You guys blow me away. The wealth of collective knowledge on this site is priceless.

Love and care,
Jeannika

On Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - The day AFTER Mr Ray posted his first (I've gott'a passion to help and provide value, video) ... I received the following email from James Ray International (the company he states is currently defunct).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"fromJames Ray <jamesray@jamesray.com>
tojeannika

dateTue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM
subjectHigh Velocity: The "X" Files
mailed-byvps3880.inmotionhosting.com
Images from this sender are always displayed. Don't display from now on.
hide details Mar 30 (5 days ago)

High Velocity E-Zine
The "X" Files

Dear Jeannika,
The world's greatest achievers are and always have been working with Harmonic Wealth®. Those with Harmonic Wealth are creative and innovative. They always find a way to bring home the results. They get the job done!

Are you ready to learn a powerful technique to increase your creativity? Well if so, here's what I'm going to ask you to do. First, I am going to assume you have a goal that you want to achieve. If not, that's the first step. You need to decide what you want to create in your life. Make sure it's big, bold and exciting.

Once you have your goal, get a blank piece of paper and draw a large "T" on it so that it fills up the entire page. On the left side, I want you to write, "Why I Can't." And on the right side of the "T", I want you to write, "How I Can."

Lots of success programs tell you what to do, but only the Harmonic Wealth Weekend shows you how to think and create the life you really want...

As with anything in life, there are obviously several reasons why you can't. But the reality is that these reasons are nothing more than dream stealers and energy drainers. They will keep you from realizing your goals and dreams. So on the left side of the paper, put a big "X". Once you've drawn the "X", there's no room for the ideas as to why you can't.

Now, get busy... From this moment on, only allow yourself to focus on all the reasons it will work or all the creative ways you can accomplish your goal. Get as many as you can. No idea is a bad idea, and you can edit them later. When your mind begins to wander into how it won't work or can't be done, pull out the weeds and get right back to the actions that will bring you your fruit.

To your continued wealth and happiness," (how swarmy one man be???)

"James Arthur Ray
President/CEO
James Ray International

P.S. Conventional wisdom is wrong again... Balance is bogus! Only harmony yields happiness and real wealth... Join me for two full days of complete immersion into insights and technologies that are guaranteed to help you achieve true Harmonic Wealth® in all areas in your life: Financial, Relational, Intellectual, Physical and Spiritual.
Reserve your seat early! Click for dates, locations and more information..."

Attached was the following link:
[harmonicwealthweekend.com]
-----------------------------------------------------------------

It would seem that James Ray International isn't nearly as dead as Mr Ray would have us believe. It's obvious his YOUtube blatherings and mass emails are just a preamble to him holding seminars again. I wonder how that's working out for him?

Date: April 06, 2010 02:27PM

I think JAR's use of the phrase 'Balance is Bogus' is very deliberate and calculated. Initially that phrase does seem meaningless and stupid, but it is calculated to plant an idea in receptive minds--and to throw those receptive minds off-balance where they will be more vulnerable to JAR's control.

Its part of the undermining of accepted understanding. We are all aware that we need a certain balance between extremes to remain on an even keel, to remain moderate in thought and behaviour.
By introducing the 'Balance is Bogus' idea JAR is hoping to plant doubt, which would give him a chink to worm his way into the minds of those receptive to him.
Once he has that way in he can plant more of his nonsense and gobbledygook, which means only what JAR intends it to mean and confuses the victim to the point that they cede control of meaning to JAR.

So I agree that such a phrase is stupid and meaningless but it can be a very powerful way for JAR to establish control over someone who is at a vulnerable point in their life and looking for some better answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 02:27PM by Stoic.

Date: April 07, 2010 03:18AM

Yes, Stoic, that does make sense..It just really bothers me everytime I read it..It just seems like one of his stupid little catch phrases that mean nothing, but then he thinks he always playing his little tricks on people..Even doing the odd hand gestures on his perp walk in his orange jump suit..Which did make him look like he was walking like a chicken.. LOL

Posted by: Cosmic Connie ()
Date: April 07, 2010 04:17AM

No doubt JAR also thought the alliteration in "Balance is Bogus" was catchy. Although he may have had deeper and more sinister motives, I'm sure that the main point of the slogan was simply to make him stand out from the crowd of New-Wagers and others who call for some sort of balance in life. As wondriwhy said, though, it's just one of his "stupid little catch phrases that mean nothing." Obviously, "harmonic," in the sense that JAR uses it, is equally meaningless.

Jeannika, I hope your husband and the dogs have a speedy recovery.

Date: April 07, 2010 04:43AM

Yes, Jeannika..I hope all of you are okay...those pits can do a lot of damage before they are stopped..

Current Page: 100 of 155

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.