Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: quackdave ()
Date: April 15, 2010 04:11AM

Hey, sorry Stoic. I could have referenced you by name, but am so tired today from my scrolling, Googling and cross posting, etc. that I got lazy.

That being said: Kudos for getting on Ray's mailing list and posting the very incriminating "Still In Business" shingle hanging outside Ray's soon-to-be-liquidated place of business.

qd

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: April 15, 2010 05:58AM

Re the SDPD response to my letter asking for them to look again at Colleen's death, I think it worth noting that law enforcement have to be guided by the available evidence and the likelihood of securing a conviction when deciding whether or not to prosecute a case. Cases involving persuasion and manipulation are notoriously difficult to prove to a legal standard.

Quack Dave cites some cases where LGATs have been found liable for a subsequent death but I think those are likely to be civil cases where the burden of proof is less rigorous. Civil cases are normally brought by family and there are many reasons, both financial and emotional, that family may not want to prolong the pain of losing one of their own.

I wasn't expecting much of a result in writing to SDPD but I do think it important to register the interest and keep the case in the minds of the investigators should anything else that is relevant come up. Evidence and witnesses often take time to come forward. If anyone else was interested in writing please do still go ahead. I didn't post the reply in order to put anyone off, this is far from a lost cause.

If Arizona secures a conviction in Ray's case this might motivate SDPD to revisit Colleen's case, and the Arizona proceedings may turn up more convincing evidence of manipulation.
Regardless, it is still important, whatever the response, that SDPD understand that Colleen's case is of far wider interest to a great number of people than they may think at this time. So still write if you are so inclined.

Re: James Arthur Ray - mirror neurons, sociopaths and no empathy.
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 15, 2010 06:54AM

Good link. There is some interesting research in that area.
But here is the amazing thing.
The Gurus have known this by experience, for many years.

For example, Byron Katie knows very well that when she is saying or doing _______, that the people in the audience are EXPERIENCING it just by watching.
Even if it is talking about another person.
That is called Pacing and Leading, from NLP. James Ray would have learned Rapport, Pacing and Leading from his studies in NLP in Hawaii, and from Tony Robbins.

So even though the Gurus didn't know its the mirror neurons actually firing in their followers, they could SEE the audience experience those emotions from the stage as they do their LGAT show.
They create Rapport, and then Pace and Lead the audience to where they want them to be. Its a manipulation.

And in terms of Empathy, no questions the minds of the Gurus are shooting blanks and are duds. Their mirror neurons don't fire when YOU suffer, even though they try to pretend they do sometimes with fake tears.
They know that they can make YOU feel empathy, with their crocodiles tears and Stories.

But they don't feel the empathy for their victims.
They really just don't care.
Its obvious James Ray couldn't care less, and he's not even aware of how abnormal that is. He probably thinks it makes him superior.

So the outrage the public feels is based on having a normal empathy response, whereas the Guru is always dissociated from that empathy response for the followers, and others.
They feel empathy for themselves, their pets, maybe a couple family members, their car, house...

But not for those damn needy followers who are always whining and complaining.
That is why Guru's like James Ray make a RULE that their staff and followers cannot even SPEAK to him unless spoken to.

wc

Fascinating stuff Anticult. Thank you. RE:mirror neurons. This was just published yesterday:

First Direct Recording Made of Mirror Neurons in Human Brain
[www.sciencedaily.com]

Date: April 22, 2010 03:14AM

James Ray has continued posting his horrible shill videos on his own site and on YouTube, the latest is on the formation of a group---of course he wants viewers to join his group so that he can continue with his ladder of exploitation.
Comments are open at the link below:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jeand ()
Date: April 22, 2010 02:20PM

Thank you,Anticult,for that posting. This week is hard for those of us who lived through the OKC Bombing.I watched the documentary on msnbc about Timothy McVeigh and have been reminded how sociopaths can appear in the world in different ways, although their desire to control other people is a common agenda.

A few weeks ago, when someone called Ray a "hillbilly from Oklahoma I posted this on SD's blog: I’m proudly from Oklahoma City,am educated, and hail from generations of scholars and successful landowners. That said, Death Ray is not “from” Oklahoma and is not a hillbilly. Daddy Ray was/is a shyster who served as a preacher in a Pentecostal Church of God in Tulsa.I don't know where the Rays are originally from,but JAR was born in Honolulu. During the 60s and 70s,Tulsa was a place of tremendous wealth,opulence & culture,which may be why Jimmy "felt" poor. In this article, a former Ray classmate questions Ray's poverty story: [www.azcentral.com].

I believe Ray is the product of religious abuse and learned how to con people out of their money at an early age. His father most likely forced him to attend long,crazy church services where the congregants were tithing 10% of their income,and probably giving more. Pentecostal churches have traditionally been a hotspot for scammers.My Grandma became Pentecostal and our mother had to tell her not to send money to the snake oil-peddling radio evangelists. Many Pentecostals are wonderful people,as was my Grandma,although their practices can be over the top. One time I saw inside a “Holy Roller” service from a side door at the church.There were people stomping their feet,shouting,speaking in tongues,and getting “slain” in the Spirit. (That’s when the preacher butts the palm of his hand against someone’s forehead and they fall back into someone’s arms,then lie contorting and writhing on the floor.)Some of these churches practice snake handling and feet washing,and some don’t allow females to cut their hair,wear makeup or pants,and require subservience to males. All Pentecostals believe in faith healing or “laying on of hands”.

With the oil collapse of the early 80s,few deep pockets were left in Tulsa into which James Ray could slide his hands. Also,the Bible Belt is not the most ideal place for developing alternative spiritual followings,though Oklahoma has had its share of small-time faux gurus. What else was a preacher's son, junior college drop-out, salesman named James Arthur Ray to do? The answer was obvious:disguise himself as a New Age self-help leader and move to California in search of greener($$)pastures, where he,ultimately, would create his very own Steinbeckian tragedy.

Posted by: Jeannika ()
Date: April 23, 2010 12:22AM

I got three (3) emails from Jame Ray International this morning ... everyone of them telling me to go watch his latest video.

As stupid as this must sound, I'm having a hard time understanding who and what James Ray really is, and why he does the things he does.

I don't understand how James Ray can move forward and act as if everything in his business as usual. It's almost as if the events of October never took place, his actions never caused anyone physical or emotional pain, no one died, he was never indited for manslaughter, he doesn't owe hundreds of thousands of dollars to thousands of people and there are no court cases pending.

He's so insulated, that it's almost like he's living in some sort of alternative universe.

His personal Facebook page states "I've reached my max number of friends. Please join me on my official fan page:" Which by the way, is a lie, if he's talking about official Facebook policy. There are thousands of Facebook sites with more friends connected than he has on his sites.

His official Facebook Fan page has the following message posted.

Welcome to the Official Fan Page of James Arthur Ray! You are highly encouraged to share, connect, learn, support and grow in this community in a POSITIVE way. (Anything else will be promptly deleted).
Thank you for joining!

I can only guess what constitutes a POSITIVE post. I'm guessing regarding the sweat lodge deaths are not tolerated.

He's constantly posting on Twitter. Tweets which at best are insensitive, but appear (to me) downright cruel and hurtful. There seems to be no common thread or reason for what he writes. He seems to need people to hear him, believe he's the victim, that he and God are really REALLY close (the same person actually) that he wants to help people, etc., etc., etc., along with a lot of twisted misquotes from various people.

James Ray posted the last of his seven "FREE" self-help videos this morning. His face looks plastic and strange, his eyes droopy and red. He looks physically ill to me, (my husband thinks he looks stoned - "swacked" - his word). In the context that he's supposedly broke, a thief, a cruel bastard with three manslaughter charges hanging over his head ... none of what James Ray says makes any sense. I mean what sane individual would value advice from someone as flawed as James Ray obviously is?

On May 3 he starts talking, excuse me, broadcasting his so called internet radio show. I can't help but wonder just how much actual interaction will actually take place ... and how many negative commenters will be bleeped or simply disconnected from the show?

To date I've been unable to locate an internet radio program and/or host named Business Broadcasting, let alone a show called “Living in the Flow”, linked to his name. The cool email address he posted for show topic suggestions, "LivingintheFlow@live.com", is a free email address from Microsoft's www.live.com.

The media hasn't seemed too interested in covering the events in Sedona. It seems a lot of people forgot it ever took place, if in fact they ever knew. It's strange (in a bad scary sort of way) that when the deaths occured almost all the media covered weeks was the made up story about a boy floating through the sky in a balloon.

I don't know how many of you ever visited Disneyland's Carousel of Tomorrow? There was a song they played at the end that spoke about how wonderful the future was going to be, which keeps running through my head. It's become my alternative universe James Ray theme song.

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow waiting at the end of every day. Tomorrow's a dream away."

The public James Arthur Ray doesn't look or sound like the monster he is, which is the scariest fact of all. I'm assuming the average person wouldn't pick up on the fact that he's a pathological liar. So there's a good chance he's going to attract new people into his fold. The question is ... how much more harm will his words and actions have caused before he has his day in court? What will it take to finally get James Arthur Ray to shut up and stop pretending he's something he's not?

Thanks for letting me rant ...

Love and Care,
Jeannika

Date: April 24, 2010 06:57AM

Death Ray is back in business with a paid subscription podcast:

[azstarnet.com]

Posted by: jeand ()
Date: April 24, 2010 12:16PM

I read the email for his "show" Senor Reporter has it posted. Beside being very poorly written,if he were one of my students, I would give him a D on it, it is just strange. Is he compelled to control people and market himself? He can't seem to go in any other direction,operating completely on his reptilian automatic pilot.

Re: James Arthur Ray - Living in the Flow of lies radio
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 24, 2010 08:07PM

One can see the crude sales techniques being used by James Ray in trying to sell his paid podcast radio show.
[azstarnet.com]

Of course, he does the lame reframing sales Newspeak, calling the rip-off cost an "investment". Its not an investment, its a rip-off price, but its a standard sales tech to try and make seminar junkies feel better about pissing their money away.
He then even uses the lame technique of saying its $39 a month "forever", which means nothing of course. More lies, like the lies about "refunds" that never happen. Just brazen lying.

Those few people who might pay for this, are PAYING James Ray to propagandize them to buy more of his crap.
Worse, he then drops the price to $1.94, like he is selling stolen steak knives on a street corner.

Yes, James Ray has absolute contempt for those who fall for these techniques. That is why he insults them so openly with his awful cheap infomercial tactics.
But even $1.94 for one month, is FAR too expensive.
Paying only $1 for a dose of a poison that can ruin your life, is very expensive.

This audio program James Ray is selling is a WORM on a HOOK trolling the internet for innocent fishes, and then they will be reeled in, and cleaned out and gutted, one at a time.

So its a horrible mistake to say that James Ray should make some money, so there is something there for the lawsuits against him.
First off, he is not going to make much money from this, its just a HOOK to try and find some SUCKERS he can then bilk for real money.
Second, any money made will be INSTANTLY SPENT, so no one is going to get one cent of it. You can take that to the bank.

This is just a TEST to try and find out the NAMES of the few James Ray followers left who will SPEND MONEY on his stuff. Then once they are identified, he can zero in on them more specifically.

All of this propaganda from James Ray should be boycotted.
Any content that turns up from James Ray needs to be analyzed and exposed.

The text of the email trying to sell his bogus "radio" show podcast, needs to be analyzed and exposed for what he is trying to promise people. Its the same old song and dance, trying to promise WEALTH and HAPPINESS.
That from a guy who says he is completely broke, and on his way to criminal prosecution for manslaughter.

Coming from a truly sick mind, who has contempt for anyone who believes that level of blatant bullshit.

Date: April 25, 2010 01:47AM

I agree that the excuse of earning cash to pay off his creditors (and his lawyer bills) is hardly reason enough to allow him perpetuate his scam on the next generation of vulnerable customers.

We seem to have forgotten that Death Ray's bankruptcy is self-declared, he also claimed to have earned close to $10 mill last year. While that claim may have been inflated, until his financial holdings are forensically examined I refuse to believe that he doesn't have a major stash of cash in hard to reach accounts.

JAR didn't get into his particular line of business in order to benefit humanity, he got into it to because it is very lucrative and he understands that money equals power in modern society--why else engage such high powered and expensive legal representation if not in the hope to buy the celebrity verdict that both OJ and MJ managed to secure. Money talks in a capitalist economy and we are fools to pretend that it doesn't.
I am also convinced that JAR is so far down his own rabbit-hole that he has built his entire identity around the power that he can wield over other people, and that it is this possible loss of power-far more than the money- that is driving him to continue touting himself as some kind of saviour to his followers, the answer to their prayers.
That makes him extremely dangerous as he has already abundantly shown the lengths that he will go to in order to maintain this view of himself to himself as much as to any audience.
Nobody else gets any consideration in JAR's world, he is continuing to behave this way because if he stops his carefully crafted persona will crack and crumble.

To this end he is shilling for new devotees via YouTube, email, podcasts etc, he won't stop until he is locked up. His final vid in the shill series of seven is linked to below:

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.