Current Page: 67 of 155
Re: James Arthur Ray - NLP mastering metaphors hypno-persuasion
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: March 02, 2010 08:18AM

Yes, they deliberately distract the minds of those who enjoy thinking about abstract ideas and concepts and philosophies. They just fill it up the conscious mind with CONFUSION content, which can be non-dual blah blah, or anything else, including Seduction, pop-sych, self-help, MLM, there is no limit.
As mentioned, they can even use the content of covert persuasion, to DO other types of covert persuasion at the same time, that is very common and very tricky. The best do the exact thing they are saying they are NOT doing, at the same time, often to amuse themselves as an in-joke.

Also, the more naturally IMAGINATIVE you are, the easier it is to get put into a "trance" and then persuaded without your awareness. Put it this way, if you get choked-up watching toilet paper TV commericals, and cry to cheesy love songs...WATCH IT! Those who are naturally suggestible have to learn how to manage that, or they will jump from one Guru system to the other.

As far as a Guru being "stupid", its an important issue. A serious mistake is to underestimate any Guru, and James Ray has been underestimated by many, but so far not the authorities.
Its not a done deal what is going to happen, its going to be up to a jury, and experts in engineering belief are also good at engineering doubt. If they can put enough doubt into a jury...god forbid.
Ray has had his bail reduced, has no visible assets, carefully avoided being interviewed by investigators, is putting out his PR spin-doctor propaganda, still has followers, can continue doing his seminars in the US, and will continue until the last appeal using Other Peoples Money.
Its a long way from being decided.

But these LGAT Gurus take specific seminars on their way up, to learn precisely how to do their covert influence techniques. There are actual seminars, manuals, books, you name it. They look at the process completely opposite to the targets.
They are like a detached puppeteer, or perhaps like a movie director thinks about a movie compared to the audience caught up in the Story. The Guru has done the same persuasion routines hundreds and thousands of times, and calculates moves a chess game.
Of course, the most intelligent and ruthless gurus are not the ones getting caught, and don't push people to die right at their seminars.
There are some very clever Gurus who deliberately market themselves as mere "motivational speakers" when in fact they are running very complex persuasion patterns and huge companies with many levels to them. But they know to sell themselves in the media, you need to present yourself as a simple AW-SHUCKS kind of person, to appear non-threatening to the audience, and deliberately dumb-down the content and self-presentation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: buffman ()
Date: March 02, 2010 08:25AM

In hypnotherapy, analytical or hyper-intellectual clients are notoriously difficult to lead into trance--even when the client wants to change but changes only intellectually and not emotionally. The recommended technique is to elicit confusion, usually through some sort of wordplay. This can work well in a therapy context, but clearly is problematic in a manipulative context. Manipulative groups like LGATs often rely on just overpowering people through long hours, group conformity, and physical endurance tests which is a more direct way to overpower the rational faculty.

There are several key defenses against this kind of manipulation. One is to learn how it works, as Anticult is doing. The second is to learn how to be even more clearly rational by engaging in something like cognitive-behavioral therapy. The third is to explore such non-rational states yourself through self-hypnosis or meditation so that you already know the territory.

Robert Anton Wilson said in an interview I once heard that if he was ever captured by the CIA and they tried to brainwash him by giving him LSD, the first thing he'd recognize is that he'd be given LSD! Similarly, hypnosis isn't scary in general if you can lead yourself through various states of mind. But knowing that, you are even more likely to get the heck out when someone like James Arthur Ray starts messing with your mind.

Date: March 02, 2010 08:39AM

An additional point, the best conversational hypnotists can do their work, without the target knowing it is even happening. James Ray has a very average skill in this area, but VERY dangerous as he is so ruthless and targets very soft-targets.
A trained-eye could notice what James Ray was doing in a few seconds on Oprah, as he was running such basic patterns. But sadly, a naive untrained audience has no experience in this area are very easy targets.

Learning the specific skills is a great self-protection, as 90% of these Gurus are not that great at the techniques, so they can be spotted pretty easily by somene with training.

The other perhaps top 10%, that is a different kettle of fish, they can get to almost anyone, as they are so flexible in their approaches. They can take a completely opposite position, and align themselves with their own potential critics, by going after a "bad apple", which by contrast makes them look better.

Date: March 02, 2010 11:52AM

Someone make a good point that maybe James Ray is trying to reposition himself in the market with a rebranding.
For example, he can't claim in public he is an expert in "wealth" as he has said he is broke, even if millions are socked away in various places.

James Rays father was a preacher, so it could very well be that Ray wants to reposition himself in the New Age spiritual-religious racket, which is a huge market, and the last refuge of a scoundrel.
He could just start another "foundation" and get the tax-protection of a church, and then peddle the New Agey pseudophilosophies, like so many others.
So that could be another reason for moving into a direct religious zone in his recent tweeting.

One thing is for certain, for the scammers out there who are skilled in LGAT group covert persuasion, and want to get rich as quick as possible, getting into the New Wage spiritual racket is the way to do it. The protections and advantages they get as they are a New Wage "religion" are almost limitless.

Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 03, 2010 12:15AM

Anticult wrote:

Also, the more naturally IMAGINATIVE you are, the easier it is to get put into a "trance" and then persuaded without your awareness.

That may mean if you are a person who coped with early stress by escaping into daydreaming or self induced zone out states, you may be vulnerable.

Ive met people who (this was pre-ipod hand held device days) coped with shitty childhoods by creating fantasy movies in their heads and escaping into them whenever
they needed to 'get away' from a bad situation at school and at home.

If you go through your childhood or adolescence by using daydreaming of this kind, WATCH OUT..you may be very trance inducible.

For that reason--stay away from anyone whose stories go on and on and on, whether its a human potential leader or some con artist on the street who bombs you with Too Much Information.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 03, 2010 12:31AM

Anticult

The Guru has done the same persuasion routines hundreds and thousands of times, and calculates moves a chess game.

Yes, and some of these master game players know the stories very commonly used
on the human potential circuit--some stories are ancient and are part of the teaching tradition in Hinduism or Buddhism.

So....guys, there may be some persuasion technicians who are Out There as 'story tellers.'

Gurus and LGAT leaders are slowly coming into scrutiny. So to a slight extent is yoga.

But story teller has a benign ring to it. There are actually persons who practice story telling as a marvellous and honorable vociation--such as Joel ben Izzy.

But...we let our guard down around story tellers and they can gain access not only to the trust of adults but also to kids.

So..if someone shows up in your neighborhood or library event as a story teller FACT CHECK THEM!!! See if they were mixed up with LGATs. See if they start developing a
'scene' or following or an aura of unquestioning authority.

Common Teaching Stories

[forum.culteducation.com]

The Clay Pot Story/Cliche

Flowers and Flowers in the Vase Teaching Cliche

The Snake and the Rope

That same story can be emancipatory if used by a someone genuinely interested in your well being but can turn into trance inducing poison if used by an ego driven leader who wants to get into your head and impregnate your inner life with his or her image and parasitize your inner garden with their crabcrass.

A real guru or true helps you see what naturally grows in your inner garden. That person will not plant his or her crab grass in there.

A real story brings you home to your own roots.

A power theft story-teller estranges you from your roots and enables the story teller to colonize your inner life.

I say this as one who emerged from childhood knowing more about my parents emotions than I did about my own.

Their stories intruded upon my age appropriate attempts to get a sense of what I experienced.

I still have access to my parents stories, but have shoved them further to one side and know myself better. But I needed to prune back my parents' crab grass first.

Again, Story Tellers--its an honorable vocation and some like Joel ben Izzy bring us home to ourselves.

But there may be a few Story Tellers out there who are serving themselves and not their listeners and you need to know this.

It is a venue that has not yet attracted scrutiny.

The same story can emancipate or it can imprison, depending on the agenda of who is
using it.

Posted by: buffman ()
Date: March 03, 2010 04:15AM

corboy
That same story can be emancipatory if used by a someone genuinely interested in your well being but can turn into trance inducing poison if used by an ego driven leader who wants to get into your head and impregnate your inner life with his or her image and parasitize your inner garden with their crabcrass.

A real guru or true helps you see what naturally grows in your inner garden. That person will not plant his or her crab grass in there.

A real story brings you home to your own roots.

A power theft story-teller estranges you from your roots and enables the story teller to colonize your inner life.

I say this as one who emerged from childhood knowing more about my parents emotions than I did about my own.

Their stories intruded upon my age appropriate attempts to get a sense of what I experienced.

I still have access to my parents stories, but have shoved them further to one side and know myself better. But I needed to prune back my parents' crab grass first.

Again, Story Tellers--its an honorable vocation and some like Joel ben Izzy bring us home to ourselves.

But there may be a few Story Tellers out there who are serving themselves and not their listeners and you need to know this.

It is a venue that has not yet attracted scrutiny.

The same story can emancipate or it can imprison, depending on the agenda of who is
using it.

Well put! Both saints and psychopaths since the beginning of time have told stories for various ends.

Analyze the stories people tell--whether an LGAT guru, a religious text, or the latest movie. Analysis "ruins the story" by taking you out of the trance, which is why few people discuss movies after watching them in any depth. Fundamentalist groups refuse to critically analyze their stories, a sign of authoritarian control. But if the story is truly life-enhancing, the message will survive the most rigorous critical analysis.

Tony Robbins tells a lot of stories, largely about his own greatness and success. Unfortunately few of his stories hold water when you find out more of the details since most contain lies or half-truths. Worse yet, some of James Arthur Ray's stories are direct copies of Tony Robbins already fake stories!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 04:17AM by buffman.

James Ray - covert persuasion storytelling to install core beliefs
Date: March 03, 2010 05:41AM

An interesting point about strategic Storytelling used in persuasion to modify core beliefs without the subjects awareness.

They can be classic stories, that sound like fables.
But they are even more effective when they don't sound like stories anymore, and just like conversation.
Miilton Erickson used that method in his Teaching Tales.
Then the NLPers came along and modified that.
Then later you had guys like Tony Robbins and others, who came along and also did the stories, but made the subjects of the stories THEMSELVES. That was incredibly powerful, as the stories and language patterns had impact, but also enshrined images of the Successful Tony Robbins deeply into peoples minds. Then people become attached to the Guru in their minds.
Later on people like Byron Katie come along and make it even more abstract, constantly telling you HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS of times, her Byron Katie Official Story about cockroaches and alleged enlightenment, and at the same time telling you to drop your story. The audience doesn't even perceive the irony and hypocrisy of that, and its right in your face.
They tell all these stories, and their audience doesn't know the "stories" are not true, they are constructed very carefully.

As stated, later on many of these stories turn out to be fabricated and exaggerated. They try to get out of it later, by saying that the stories were told as "teaching stories" and so the content was actually fictional. Or in the case of Byron Katie, when she gets busted in the mainstream media for fabrications in the stories, she would just say she lost some memories when she was bitten by the alien cockroach. Byron Katie is more clever that these others, as she made her stories basically uncheckable and vague.

So the most effective stories, just sound like things people talk about.
For example, if a speaker tells a story about the first time he was hypnotized, he is hypnotizing you by telling that story, plus using embedded language patterns, and metapors and many other techniques at the same time.

They tell these stories, and they know the foundation of human BELIEF and consciousness is based on stories.
Every sacred book of various religions are literally just stories, which some people believe as fact, and others don't, as they might believe another one. The Mormon religion is literally based on a Story written by their founder, for example, as well as every other one, one can think of. And most of the human species organized their lives around those stories, and other stories.
If anyone can think of any primary religion that is NOT based on a story, please point it out!

So the LGAT leader knows all these things of course, they learn that on Day 2 after they learn how to hide their money.
So they construct their own Stories and cosmology, based around THEMSELVES and then tell that story a thousand times to their followers to install it deeply in their minds and core beliefs.
Once the official Guru Story is installed deeply into your mind fused into your core beliefs, the Guru is installed sometimes for life, if not for decades. B-i-n-g-o.

Can anyone think of any LGAT Guru, or other Guru, who primary technique is NOT a form of storytelling about themselves?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 05:48AM by The Anticult.

James Ray - a World Savior beyond evil, power over life and death
Date: March 03, 2010 06:15AM

There are some horrendous former tweets from James Ray that have not appeared in this thread, and were cross-posted on the Droid site.

There is an extremely omninous and disturbing tweet from James Ray, the morning Colleen Conaway died. How can he get away with "pushing buttons" and talking about people still being "alive" during his seminar, and a few hours later one of them dies, and nothing happens?
No wonder he kept pushing it further, as he got away with it before and would have assumed he could get away again.

The other tweets show that James Ray has embraced the ruthless selfish power-seeking most people call "evil" and is trying to manipulate that concept in peoples sleep-deprived minds.

He also directly embeds himself in his followers minds as a "World Savior", by using his esoteric elite knowledge tactic, which he is still using.
James Ray has taken the most extreme and fanatical Guru and even cult techniques, and embedded them inside the LGAT system he put together.
A self-proclaimed World Savior who is beyond evil, manipulating the power of life and death over the followers, how much further can it go?

Off to a big start! Everyone is awake and alive after a big breakthrough last night. Did I say today is going to push some buttons? :)
10:04 AM Jul 25th, 2009 via txt
[twitter.com]
*Above is from the day Colleen Conaway died*

We’re continually plagued be apparent evil (live backwards) until we realize that this evil arises from our own ignorance of who we are.
5:09 PM Sep 22nd, 2009 via txt
[twitter.com]

A little known esoteric secret is that world saviors always come in thru the house of business/material affairs.
4:21 PM Aug 31st, 2009 via txt
[twitter.com]

Major breakthrough experience going on… We’re still going strong!! Sleep is SO over rated :)
2:21 AM Sep 12th, 2009 via txt
[twitter.com]

Re: James Ray - a World Savior beyond evil, power over life and death
Posted by: Yakaru ()
Date: March 03, 2010 06:28AM

If you check the dates, you'll see a break of four days after the lunch time tweet. The only other time he stopped his constant tweeting for more than a day was after the death lodge.

Current Page: 67 of 155

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.