Current Page: 2 of 155
James Ray Death Lodge "refused to speak with officers at the scene"
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: October 12, 2009 02:48AM

One thing that is almost unbelievable about these types of events, is that the news media and even critics of the New Age systems, often have only a superficial understanding of what motivates these gurus.
They also don't understand the complex and sophisticated techniques being used on people.

For example, in the James Ray Death Lodge link above [christinewhelan.wordpress.com] there are many comments. A few of them are clearly from followers of James Ray.
But there is one lady who described how she was injured within a few feet of James Ray, and he did not care at all. He thought it was funny. That is the reality of this.

These LGAT guru's know that people end up in the hospital, and have psychotic breaks from their seminars. THEY KNOW THAT PEOPLE DIE, from suicides which are triggered.
That is why they have those disclaimers about people dying, and getting hurt.
They see it at every seminar.

And they don't care. Its just collateral damage for their business.
Even worse, many of them start to literally get-off on the power they have over people.

So its a terrible mistake when even the soft-critics of the New Age say these guys have remorse for what they do. The certainly don't.
Their disclaimer proves they know EXACTLY what they are doing to people. They know people are dying, but it usually happens AFTER the seminar, in suicides, not at the seminar. They throw people out of the seminar if they start to have a breakdown.

Sociopaths don't feel bad if others get hurt. Even when they feign it for the media.

And notice in this case, media is reporting that James Ray refused to speak with the police on the scene.

[www.cnn.com]
QUOTE: "Waugh said investigators are looking into evidence that "may turn this into a criminal prosecution." Investigators are looking into similar events held previously in other locations by Ray, who refused to speak with officers at the scene, Waugh said"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 02:51AM by The Anticult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: James Ray Death Lodge "refused to speak with officers at the scene"
Date: October 12, 2009 02:55AM

[www.examiner.com]
Family Woman who died in 'sweat lodge' was in top shape

A 38-year-old woman, one of the two victims who died after sitting in a sauna-like sweat lodge at a scenic Arizona resort was an avid surfer and hiker who was "in top shape," a family spokesman told the Associated Press.
Kirby Brown of Westtown, N.Y., had no pre-existing health conditions that would have stopped her from participating in a safe activity, according to her cousin and family spokesman The death of two people and illness of 19 others indicates that "something went horribly wrong."
Brown was one of two people who died in a sweat lodge during a spiritual cleansing ceremony at the Angel Valley Retreat Center put on by author, James Arthur Ray. Authorities have identified the other victim as 40-year-old James Shore from Milwaukee.

Date: October 12, 2009 03:13AM

[www.azcentral.com]#
Sweat-lodge leader mum about ritual
Sheriff: Adviser refuses to describe day of deaths

by Dustin Gardiner - Oct. 11, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

A spiritual adviser and self-help author whose saunalike sweat lodge ceremony left two people dead Thursday has left the state and is refusing to tell detectives what happened during the spiritual-cleansing ritual, Yavapai County Sheriff Steve Waugh said.

At a news conference Saturday, Waugh said detectives are focusing their efforts on James Ray and his staff to determine if criminal negligence resulted in the deaths of a man and woman. Ray's staff reportedly set up the sweat lodge at a New Age resort near Sedona.

"We will continue this investigation down every road that is possible to find out if there is culpability on anybody relative to the deaths of these individuals," Waugh said. He said it could be three to four weeks before they knew if criminal charges will be filed.

A spokesman for the Sheriff's Office said Ray gave detectives "necessary personal information, his title and role in the event, but refused to comment on the circumstances inside the dome."

Ray and his spokesman have declined to comment on the circumstances of the deaths.

The two victims have been identified as Kirby Brown, 38, of Westtown, N.Y., and James Shore, 40, of Milwaukee.
Emergency responders took 19 people to hospitals for burns, dehydration, respiratory arrest and kidney failure. All but one, who remained in critical condition Saturday night, was released.
He deleted several earlier posts that initially appeared on his Twitter account hours before the deaths: "Still in Spiritual Warrior ... for anything new to live something first must die. What needs to die in you so that new life can emerge?"

Ray is a co-author of the popular book, "The Secret." He owns a multimillion dollar self-help company, James Ray International, which purports to offer individuals the tools needed to attain "harmonic wealth," which is also the title of his latest book. His frequent TV appearances include "Oprah" and "Larry King Live."

Date: October 12, 2009 04:11AM

[excerpt of comments for reference]
_______________QUOTE________________________
[christinewhelan.wordpress.com]
Comment 20.
"I attended a James Ray event in Dallas in January, and I was injured, and James Ray did not care – not in the least. He was using a teaching tool to demonstrate that what you wanted was right out in front of you – simply take it. He was holding out his teaching CD’s. People from the audience were standing up and taking them. On about the 4th one, I stood up. I was sitting on the front row. A man came up from behind me, jumped on my back, knocked me to the ground and took the CD. Instead of urging people to be careful or asking me if I was okay, James Ray CONGRATULATED the man for having the courage to take what he wanted. He never even stopped his high pressure sales tactics to ask if I was okay. This happened less than six inches from his very feet.
After the event was over, I waited a long time to tell him that I was injured. I am disabled with Multiple Sclerosis and injured my ankle and knee as the result of being knocked down – and also had an injured back, neck, and shoulder from the man jumping on my back.
Do you want to hear how James Ray responded when I informed him that I was hurt in the incident? He smiled BROADLY and said “It sure got crazy, didn’t it?” And he laughed. He literally did not give a darn about me or anyone else in attendance. So sad.

I’m so sad for those who lost their lives and health by trusting this man. He is nothing more than a con artist preying on the vulnerabilities of people seeking spiritual guidance.

Comment by Leslie | October 10, 2009 | Reply

Oh, and about my previous post – I did send a letter to James Ray International encouraging them to adopt more safety procedures to ensure the welfare of attendees.

I never heard any kind of response.

I’m sure James Ray isn’t smiling broadly right now, but I’m also certain he wasn’t concerned for those people’s well being until their deaths affected his bottom line.

Comment by Leslie | October 10, 2009 | Reply

_____________QUOTE__________________________________

Date: October 12, 2009 05:40AM

There are now reports the James Ray death lodge has been "dismantled"?
[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Can anyone think of a police scene, where 2 people died, and dozens were hurt, where the evidence was tampered with so quickly? That seems bizarre.

There has been some talk already that since the Sedona area is such a MASSIVE financial New Wage tourist area, that the local authorities might be biased against a proper investigation.

James Ray Death Lodge - DEATH WAIVER
Date: October 13, 2009 03:24AM

An update to the James Ray Death Lodge article.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]
QUOTE "One of those victims was a close family friend. In her late 50s and in good health, she collapsed at some point during the ceremony and has no idea how long she was unconscious in the hot lodge before someone noticed her. She was intubated at the scene and rushed to a local hospital where she spent two days in the intensive care unit with liver and kidney malfunctions from severe dehydration. The nurse on duty said she was one of the lucky ones, her daughter told me."
Read more at: [www.huffingtonpost.com]

It seems the writer knows one of the people injured. So people were going unconscious, and no one cared. Now these people could have damaged their liver and kidneys for life.
The severe dehydration would probably be connected to the "fasting" from food and water that occurs at these LGAT seminars. Lethal.

No wonder these "seminars" force people to sign those "DEATH waivers", as they know full well they are pushing people into psychologically and physically life-threatening situations.
It has been PROVEN that people pushed into extreme psychological stress can easily have some type of mental breakdown.
The LGAT seminar guru knows this, and thus makes them sign the waiver. They know people are dying, and ending up in emergency wards at every seminar.

And they know they are pushing people into physically lethal situations as well.
How many people in previous years and seminars also got severely sick, and had kidney or liver damage?

So its no wonder these LGAT seminar all have the DEATH WAIVERS they force people to sign. They know perfectly well that people get severely hurt.
James Ray International Waiver of Liability [forum.culteducation.com]

And now they are saying they are shocked at what happened? How can they be shocked, when what happened is described in their waiver?

For All Those Affected by the Tragedy in Sedona [blog.jamesray.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 03:33AM by The Anticult.

Re: James Ray Death Lodge - DEATH WAIVER
Date: October 13, 2009 03:50AM

___________QUOTE___________________
[www.abc15.com]
"Attendees told detectives they paid between $9,000 and $10,000 for their stay and participation in the program, which including a three-day fast and various spiritual exercises before the sweat lodge culmination.

Investigators said the goal of the sweat lodge cleanse was to achieve "an out of body experience."

The plan was for participants to sweat for eight 15 to 30 minute rounds.

Deputies said 50 to 60 people were crammed in the make-shift tent, which was only 30 inches on the sides and 53 inches in the center.

They said Ray's staff made the sweat lodge from plastic tarps, blankets, wood and other materials.

Sedona resident Anna Lisa Brown said she sees people constantly shuttling in to town for similar retreats.

"I was surprised that people would put themselves in that situation, but not surprised, because people are looking for things to fulfill themselves to give them purpose," said Brown.

Although some Sedona residents called the Angel Valley community "a cult,"...

Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 13, 2009 07:04AM

Here is an article from a British website for athletes on the importance of hydration.

[www.serpentine.org.uk]

A new paradigm has been presented regarding the function and role of water in human biochemistry. It is now generally believed that it is the water in our bodies that regulates all functions of the body, including the activity of all the solutes that are dissolved in it.

This is contrary to the previously held belief that the solute composition is the governing factor of all biological functions of the body, i.e. the water is just the packing material. Life on earth could not exist without its unique physical, chemical and electrical qualities. Why then if water covers 70% of the planet and makes up 70% of our bodies, is chronic dehydration pandemic? Perhaps it is due to its abundance that we take it so much for granted.

The most elaborate dietary regimes and costly nutritional supplementation can only work if a person is well hydrated.

When you become dehydrated a cascade of chemical events take place. Your body naturally begins to increase production of histamine. Histamine is present in all body tissues and produced by the mast cells found in connective tissue. Not only is histamine a mediator in inflammation, but it acts as a neurotransmitter, directing and operating the subordinate systems that promote water distribution to various tissues and organs. These subordinate systems involve the action of the hormones vasopressin and renin-angiotensin, as well as prostaglandins and kinins. When levels become excessively active the mucus membranes of the lungs, for example, can become irritated and in time the muscles and tissues that make up the breathing mechanism can go into spasm, resulting in severe breathing problems and at worse asthma . This in addition to long term damage to the immune system is bad news indeed for the athlete.

When the core temperature rises while training the blood that would otherwise be available for the muscles is used for cooling via respiration and perspiration. The body will do this automatically as temperature moves out of the preferred narrow range. It is this loss of water that ultimately impairs physical performance and interferes with normal cognitive function. Intense exercise can increase heat production in muscles 20 fold. Don't be fooled by lack of thirst and not feeling thirsty. These sensors are inhibited by strenuous exercise.

Fluid replacement is a much misunderstood and frequently misguided aspect of nutrition and performance. Here are some guidelines:

Prehydrate – By drinking extra water for the 2 days preceding the event and continue up to 20 minutes before the start. Your stomach requires that much time to empty. Carbo loading will increase your water loading yield. In order to store each gram of glycogen, the body has to store 2.7gms of water. It is possible to consider yourself optimally hydrated when you urinate frequently and your urine is clear.

During performance take all the plain water you can get. This is particularly important for events of 30 minutes and over. Ideally water intake should match sweat loss and a prehydrated athlete has more water to spare, meaning better times and improved recovery. Cold water leaves the stomach far more quickly than room temperature water. Sip, don't gulp and stay away from the carbonated drinks that slow absorption. The single most important factor that affects the rate of water emptying is its glucose content. The more glucose present, the slower the gastric emptying time. This includes commercial sports drinks containing high levels of simple sugar – don't be fooled by the false feeling of increased energy. For events of 1.5 to 2 hours or longer some additional glucose and electrolyte support may be beneficial. Fructose is the preferred choice as it doesn't stimulate insulin release like glucose does, and also replaces liver glycogen better.

Rehydrate – With plain, cold water, sipped, not gulped. Avoid everything in the goody bag until you are at least four glasses ahead, to avoid cramps and possible nausea. Continue to drink extra for the following 12 – 36 hours. To establish when hydration has been adequately recovered, you should weigh yourself prior to training or competing and again afterwards, ensuring you have drunk the equivalent amount of water lost. As a rough guide 1 pint of water equals 1 pound of lost weight. If you calculate water loss as a percentage of body weight, losing more than 1% of bodyweight can have serious consequences. The major electrolytes lost during exercise in sweat can be found in fresh fruit and vegetables, (including salt). Ensure you diet contains plenty of these.

The message is use water for what it is, the main component of your body and keep it as pure as possible, either bottled or filtered. Drink small regular amounts frequently. Drink your water fridge temperature. Do not rely on the thirst mechanism. Rehydrate using the one pint to one pound principle. Consider electrolyte replacement when exercise exceeds 1.5 hours. Carbohydrates store water – carbo load 6 days prior to competition. Keep dietary intake of fresh fruit and vegetables high. Where indicated appropriate testing of mineral levels can be carried out by a registered nutritional therapist.

Christina Robilliard is a former member of the Serpentine Running Club, and a registered nutritional therapist.

Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: laarree ()
Date: October 14, 2009 02:19AM

I am so glad that the period of my life when I might have been tempted to participate in crap like this is far, far behind me.

I hope Ray gets in a big heap of trouble over this tragic event.

James Ray - 2 die, hospitalization of 16, Guruphiliac
Date: October 14, 2009 02:30AM

[guruphiliac.blogspot.com]
Friday, October 09, 2009
Wealth Guru Kills 2, Sends 16 To Hospital
File under: Gurus Clockin' Dollars, Killer Gurus and The Siddhi of PR

Colorado gurubuster and self-help industry critic Duff McDuffee alerted us to this AP news article which details the death of two and the hospitalization of 16 after a sweat lodge run by New Age™ self-help and prosperity guru James Arthur Ray:
[guruphiliac.blogspot.com]

Current Page: 2 of 155

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.