Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Michael Mamas
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:36PM

He also shares a good deal in common with Frog's teacher-figure, Nathaniel. Both grew up in Ohio. Both started their careers as physicists

Corboy note.

An undergraduate major is not the same thing as one's career.

In Mama's case, majoring in physics while doing undergraduate studies does not justify referring to him as having 'started his career as a physicist.' To be precise, Mamas started his career as a veterinarian.

One becomes a physicist in the professional sense by becoming a researcher.

In the most precise sense, one has not embarked upon a career as a physicist until one has published articles describing ones original contributions in the field, usually after one has earned a Ph.D degree and found a position at a facility where one can continue to do research.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: janicew1290 ()
Date: June 02, 2013 12:53AM

Hello,

I just joined this site, saw your post regarding your son, and felt compelled to write. Years ago, I attended Michael Mamas' School for Enlightenment and Healing in San Diego, largely because I found him to be humble, benign and because he did not seem like so many ego-inflated teachers. Sadly, as time progressed, my impression turned out to be incorrect.

Although I do not have the first-hand, precise details, Michael was alleged to have become became sexually involved with at least one, possibly two of the school's instructors, and possibly a couple of the students. This wouldn't have been any of my business or anyone else's business for that matter, had it not been for the fact that the school's co-founder, Michael's girlfriend/partner at the time, shared her hurt with the students. The matter culminated when, just prior to graduation, my class, en-mass, confronted Michael about this and he angrily denied that any sexual impropriety, whatsoever, was or had happened. As he tried to manipulate, actually browbeat, us, I and my fellow classmates were horrified and dishearten, that after three years of trusting this guy, he proved to be such a fraud. An eye-opening experience, because we'd dumbly swallowed his so-called holiness and perfection as a given.

I am much the wiser for the experience; it prompted me to write a novel, using the concept of a healer-gone bad as its premise.

I do not know if you care to share this tidbit with your son. I'd guess that it will not necessarily deter him from his path; Michael seems so normal, so kind and accessible; I really liked him for many reasons. But he also, like so many powerful people, abused his power, and it is very easy for needy souls to be taken in.

Posted by: ethelwold ()
Date: December 06, 2017 10:27PM

I spent 10 days there doing "seva", or service in the kitchen, preparing Indian food for the many visitors to the temple. The Pandit in charge seemed to have authentic credentials, but I never understood any of the mumbo-jumbo he was chanting. Their website was being redesigned and had detailed descriptions of the pantheon of Hindu gods.
The ashram director was good-natured but when I blew my nose he told me to be careful of how I dissipated my energies. He pushed Ayurvedic medicine and gave earnest orientation talks to would-be meditators. His female cohort treated herself like a rare flower in a hothouse and disappeared entirely during her time of the month because she was "unclean." She also was so sensitive to the "jarring" nature of the meditation chimes that she turned them down to the point of inaudibility.
Mamas himself seemed mellowed out and didn't give any spiritual talks while I was there. As I was leaving I smelled a distinct odor of marijuana in the kitchen. I mentioned it and they laughed it off. Now we know where the mellowness comes from, and it's not meditation!
By the way, the resident pandit will also read your Vedic horoscope for a fee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 10:48PM by ethelwold.

Posted by: ethelwold ()
Date: December 06, 2017 10:31PM

Also, the resident "pandit" in the temple will read your Vedic horoscope for a fee.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.