Current Page: 5 of 18
Re: Fake Tibetan Buddhist Lamas - Do you know any "Wolves in Lama's Robes
Posted by: Nuffin ()
Date: November 25, 2011 03:44PM

I recall travelling with George Dawson all those years ago. What a rock-spider he was. He sexually abused a friend of mine - ha was into water sports, and worse - so my friend told me, and he was verbally abusive to practically everyone he met. His corrosive nature caused the dharma group I was in to fragment completely. I believe he thought he was practising some kind of hard-line, obscure, authentic Western Mystery tradition, with some Buddhist trappings on the side to appeal to the masses. I was on one of his notorious sea voyages - a true voyage of the damned. People like him do a lot of damage, and then they walk off with no care or responsibility. At the end of the day he ended up being a degenerate. If he's reborn, I'll be the first to spit in his face.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Misstyk ()
Date: November 27, 2011 03:25AM

lol ! There's a thread on Madi Nolan on RR? I know Madi. She used to be a housewife in Seattle until she began taking classes in how to develop psychic abilities. The she made up a yarn about being raised in Tibet and re-invented herself. But by the time I moved out of Seattle about 10 years ago, according to her literature, she had moved on to teaching Native American lore, having set up a teepee on her property. Whatever the flavor-of-the-month is, you know?

I'd like some clarification as to the topic of this thread. Is it about fake lamas, or does it include legit lamas who behave illegit-ly? I could provide a short list of highly reputable lamas who have managed to keep their assaults on students swept under the rug, but I don't know if that would cross some sort of line. And all we have to go by are women's testimony. Lawsuits get filed only extremely rarely, so how do we get past the "rumor" and "lies" accusations? Even when there is an actual lawsuit, as in Sogyal's case, people still manage to dismiss it, because it was settled out of court. What needs to be done for these cases to be taken seriously? It seems you can't win. Believers will be believers, boys getting their goodies from the tantric candybox have vested interests to defend, and will defend abusers to the death. It seems like the truth doesn't stand a chance against formidable opposition like that.

Re: Fake Tibetan Buddhist Lamas - Do you know any "Wolves in Lama's Ro
Date: December 22, 2011 05:27PM

The only thing that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso did to earn a bad reputation amongst Tibetan Buddhists was to oppose the Dalai Lama's sectarian ban of the Buddhist Deity Dorje Shugden. He was one of the very few who was brave enough to say that it was wrong for the Dalai Lama to do this and he has paid the price, but he's fearless in standing up for what is right, regardless of the consequences.

If you check his credentials as a Teacher, and what he teaches by examining his books, it's Buddhism, pure and simple. Everything else that has been written about him is politicking by people who support and Dalai Lama and cannot bear any dissent.

Re: Fake Tibetan Buddhist Lamas - Do you know any "Wolves in Lama's Ro
Posted by: Sile ()
Date: December 25, 2011 01:08PM

Lineageholder
The only thing that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso did to earn a bad reputation amongst Tibetan Buddhists was to oppose the Dalai Lama's sectarian ban of the Buddhist Deity Dorje Shugden. He was one of the very few who was brave enough to say that it was wrong for the Dalai Lama to do this and he has paid the price, but he's fearless in standing up for what is right, regardless of the consequences.

If you check his credentials as a Teacher, and what he teaches by examining his books, it's Buddhism, pure and simple. Everything else that has been written about him is politicking by people who support and Dalai Lama and cannot bear any dissent.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree, Lineageholder. The problem many Buddhists have with this organization is that it discourages people from reading books by any other teachers, and encourages them to trust one and only one teacher. This is unheard of in genuine Buddhism.

Date: December 25, 2011 02:33PM

Here's a little more info on one of the people on Blue Dakini's charlatan list--Catharine Burroughs, aka Jetsunma Akon Lhamo.

Seems she has another alias: Alyce Zeoli. Under this name she brought a lawsuit against a disenchanted former follower, who was twittering anonymous death wishes against her. The judge decided against her. So we don't know for sure which is her legal name.
[www.nytimes.com]

Date: December 25, 2011 02:34PM

Misstyk
Here's a little more info on one of the people on Blue Dakini's charlatan list--Catharine Burroughs, aka Jetsunma Akon Lhamo.

Seems she has another alias: Alyce Zeoli. Under this name she brought a lawsuit against a disenchanted former follower, who was twittering anonymous death wishes against her. The judge decided against her. So we don't know for sure which is her legal name.
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 26, 2011 12:02AM

More information here:

[forum.culteducation.com]

Welcome to Twitter Hell by Bill Schwartz

[www.google.com]

A Clear and Present Danger to a Buddhist Free Press

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

There are citations online that a nun who in the 1990s filed charges of batterly against Jetsunma has since recanted.

However, these are stated online. So far this has not been covered by a major newspaper.

[www.google.com]

Buddha from Brooklyn remains in print and I do not know of any plans from Viking to issue a retreation or to change or omit the portion of the book describing Ani Dechen and the alleged episode of assault.

Until Viking issues a statement through its own media relation office, I choose to remains skeptical.

Portions of American Buddha reported here

[www.american-buddha.com]

If anyone gets unpleasant PMs from Zeoli/Burroughs/trolls, place item in a specimen jar and send the copy to Mr Rick Ross, immediately.

Date: December 26, 2011 12:38AM

28. Bill Schwartz says : January 6, 2011 at 4:08 am
To all who have kindly taken the time to comment here,

I apologize for not responding to your comments. My CHF (Congestive Heart Failure)has worsened of late. I’m a husband, father and a grandfather so with the holidays my family, and getting as much bed rest as possible, so that I can enjoy my time with them, has been a priority for me.

For those that dismiss the newsworthiness of the KPC SLAPP story I have an update.

Two weeks I was contacted by a reporter for the Washington Post. His editor was interested in the story of the largest Tibetan Buddhist monastery in America threatening to sue an online yoga magazine, Elephant Journal, for libel over a blog prior to the publication of the blog. KPC is a local interest religion story for the Washington Post.
This afternoon I was updated on the story by the WaPo (Washinton Post) reporter. The Religion editor is interested in the KPC Slap story. Waylon Lewis, Publisher of Elephant Journal, has confirmed that he was indeed threatened by KPC with a libel suit. It’s a pretty straight forward story for someone looking at it in the real world.

The National editor is interested in the story I shared with the reporter about how KPC attempted to sabotage the 2010 Payul Ling Retreat by not sponsoring the visas of the Tulkus scheduled to visit. This story will take much more reporting of course, and a decision will have to be made at WaPo regarding whether they want to dedicate their resources to this much larger expose of KPC. It is through their sponsoring of the visas of visiting Tibetan Palyul teachers that KPC controls the lineage itself; why although the Palyul Lineage created KPC in 1988 as the Largest Tibetan Buddhist Monastery in America the lineage itself has no control whatsoever over it. If pursued, this is a huge story.

To date WaPo has not begun to did into the Financial/real estate records for KPC to see if they are indeed in compliance with their tax-exempt status. That’s a WaPo decision of course. Allegations were made by Martha Sherrill, then a WaPo reporter, over a decade ago regarding suspect use of donations, so there is an institutional interest in doing a follow up story about these more salacious allegations.

There has been some noise locally that was raised recently over the $250,000 bail out of KPC by Peter Yeung, some HHPR refused to take money from himself, and who he called a liar. It’s all very sordid, but if developed makes for fascinated reading for WaPo’s no Buddhist audience interested in seeing their tax subsidies for KPC at work,
So there are two stories being developed, and one yet to be developed. Given that the shit hit the fan only 38 days ago and the story is being reported on by the Washington Post, that isn’t a bad result form my perspective. As blogger I feel totally vindicated that WaPo agrees with me that what I have been tweeting about is newsworthy.

On the Palyul side of the story, the lineage is in utter disarray since HHPR passed away. In private they insist that HHPR renounced KPC before his death. He may well have, but made no public statements to that effect. The Heart sons haven’t a clue about what to do with KPC. They have no control over it, which is to say it is no longer a Tibetan Buddhist monastery of the Palyul lineage but something entirely different than it appears.

Efforts are being made to help the Palyul lineage to get in front of the scandal of the largest Tibetan Buddhist monastery in America not being controlled by the lineage that created it. If you are a Tibetan Buddhist, this harms the efforts of us all to establish our respective lineages in America if it is found that individuals have profited from KPC’s tax exempt not for profit status.

To date, the Palyul lineage has been saying one thing in private and something entirely different in public. They are so disorganized, even if they wanted to issue a statement clarifying their relationship with KPC they lack the consensus to make it sadly. It’s that messed up. KPC can do whatever they want and answer to nobody. So much for the largest Tibetan Buddhist monastery in America,
Bill

dctendai.blogspot.com
30. Still Waiting says : January 10, 2011 at 11:49 am
[www.accesstoinsight.org]

Posted by: jfh ()
Date: September 06, 2012 03:28AM

I recently came across this valuable website. I was a member of the Dharma Centre of Canada from 1969 until 1972. I was a young man in my early twenties at the time, but looked much younger. Mr. Leslie Dawson was referred to simply as "the Bhikku" at the time. His persona was that of urbane cosmopolite, and his charismatic qualities were undeniable. However, he began to ask me to come to his house where his true nature manifested: he forced me to have nonconsensual sex with him and finished the sessions by telling me to spread-eagle against the wall while he would beat me with a very long bullwhip. The pain involved was considerable, especially on the exposed buttocks and posterior thighs. I learned that the pain of the whip was less on the back than the buttocks or legs. I would emerge with huge welts that would take weeks to subside. He was a svengali of the first order. Towards me he was a violent sexual predator, and he was abusive in many other ways. It took me many years to get over this. I am submitting my experience to public view so that his apologists in the Dharma Centre Toronto/Kinmount can consider an alternate view of his activities in their ongoing apotheosis of him. Sincerely JFH

Date: September 08, 2012 09:34PM

Some more about 'The Bhikku'

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

The Dance of Lives: The Tulku Game (exerpted)

Another is Leslie Dawson/Namgyal Rinpoche, when he met the Karmapa in Britain in 1974, he had only recently started following Tibetan Buddhism after several years as a Theravada monk in Thailand.

As Ananda Bodhi (his ordained Theravadin name), he had come to London at the invitation of the English Sangha Trust to be in charge of the Hampstead Vihara (a task he shared with Ven. Sangharakshita for a time).

There were not many Buddhists in Britain in the early 1960s, so it was natural that he should meet two young Tibetan monks, Chogyam Trungpa and Akong Rinpoche, who arrived in the country in 1963. He arranged for them to purchase the house that became Samye Ling, and started practising under their guidance.

He teaches a method of meditation, developed by himself, called Holistic Cleaning Meditation, and also claims to be in communication with extraterrestrial intelligences, perhaps that is why he now refers to himself as "Star One".

Current Page: 5 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.