Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Cult? Jesus? Christian?
Posted by: bs45 ()
Date: February 21, 2007 12:20PM

csfield
Our best theory of gravity (general relativity) is known to be incomplete, but no educated person suggests that gravity is not a fact. The same is true of evolution.

That is why Intelligent Design completes the "incomplete" parts of Evolution. Even educated people will say that there are startling observations in the complexity of nature and science that can't just be random and there must be something else to explain it. Intelligent Design is a good start.

Options: ReplyQuote
Cult? Jesus? Christian?
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: February 23, 2007 07:59AM

Intelligent Design is a horrible start. A convenient and arrogant way to show contempt for the diligence of so many trying to uncover the mysteries of existance and trying to remain objective. Of course, it would be foolhardy, dangerous even, to dismiss any argument or idea ... but to suggest the notion of Intelligent Design as a good starting point??? I suppose the Bible told us so!

I better go back to banging my head against a wall. It seems the only intelligent thing left to do when the answer really is just blowing in the wind.

Cult? Jesus? Christian?
Posted by: dawwa ()
Date: April 19, 2007 04:32PM

Hi,

If you are talking about Dave McKay, well i have some first hand stuff. I dated or was involled with his daughter Sheri when they lived in Broken Hill, NSW, Australia. She was 13 to 14 back then. We were very much in love as far as kids love goes. Then they moved away and I found out she married that Boyd idiot when she was 15 to 16 and he was 22. Talk about marrying someone out of the simple fact he was in the cult. I have a pic of me and her. I can post if you want to see.

Cult? Jesus? Christian?
Posted by: cultmalleus ()
Date: April 19, 2007 09:52PM

dawwa, have you see the thread right next/near this one, "Australian cult, anyone recognise this?" It is full of stuff from the many ex members like myself all about Mckay's group. There are many more ex members than members now, and Christine is the only child left who still obeys Dave and is still in the cult.

Cult? Jesus? Christian?
Posted by: A Heart for God ()
Date: April 20, 2007 09:41AM

Honestly (and unfortunately), I see why Christians are often accused of lacking critical thinking. I don't mean to offend my own, but this thread is, in fact, a good example. I keep hearing Christians pull the word play on "theory," which in itself displays they don't know the meaning of the word in a scientific context. I can relate because I've been there. As a whole, I think we do indeed need to develop critical thinking. I can't count the number of times I've seen an evolution vs. creation debate, and seen my fellow Christians present arguments that often leave me scratching my head. Had we been taught critical thinking, maybe there would be thousands of variations of our faith today.

On another topic, I constantly see messages about how religion was developed to explain natural phenomenon. While I can't speak for all religions, even though I studied them loosely in college, I know Christianity, if anyone reads the Bible, spends, if I'm not mistaken, a mere 2 chapters on creation. There is also at least one mention in the old testament of several somewhat major events occuring that say God was NOT in them. Nor does it say Satan was in them. (I am referring to 1 Kings 19:11-12) So it would seem this religion was not based upon that presupposition, else in the afforementioned passage, it would have said God did all those things.

Cult? Jesus? Christian?
Posted by: Boags ()
Date: April 25, 2007 08:15PM

Jack Oskar Larm
Intelligent Design is a horrible start. A convenient and arrogant way to show contempt for the diligence of so many trying to uncover the mysteries of existance and trying to remain objective. Of course, it would be foolhardy, dangerous even, to dismiss any argument or idea ... but to suggest the notion of Intelligent Design as a good starting point??? I suppose the Bible told us so!

I better go back to banging my head against a wall. It seems the only intelligent thing left to do when the answer really is just blowing in the wind.

So because so many are trying to uncover the mysteries of existance, intelligent design should be dismissed, hmmm

I would think Intelligent Design is the logical conclusion for any intelligent person, rather then random stuff happening

Cult? Jesus? Christian?
Posted by: IMASurvivor ()
Date: June 15, 2007 07:30AM

As Im sorting through the last 30+ years of my life involved in religious cults, trying to see if I can again visit a chruch, any church, without viewing them with such synicism.. For me so far I have been unsuccessful. The minute the minister gets up and says that he has prayed and God has spoken, or intimates that his revelations should somehow curb or influence my behavior, well it makes me squirm. Even in hymns.. "I Surrender All" "Not My Will Be Done" resonate to me of relinquishing ME. So I struggle with belonging to a church.. Not with faith or God.. just with submission to a group who are human and subject to error and misdeed. It has deeply affected....'trust'.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.