Has Scientology ever killed someone?
Posted by: eaglecage ()
Date: April 23, 2009 02:17PM

A couple days ago, I posted this:

"I don't know too much about Scientology. All I know is that Tom Cruise is a Scientologist. I also heard that they try to destroy people who are against them, through a policy known as "fair game". What are some good web links about Scientology?

--eaglecage"

rrmoderator pointed me to this: "[www.culteducation.com];, among other links at culteducation.com

I immediately saw a memorial page for Lisa McPherson. Although she died because of her involvement with Scientology, they did not outright murder her. I know that Scientology will seriously harass people that criticize them. Have they ever murdered a critic?

According to [www.lisamcpherson.org], Scientology will do this:

---begin quote block-----------
I've been a critic of Scientology since about 1987. Scientology, by policy, must attack public critics. Here are some things they've done to me:

Put up a web page smearing me

had private investigators outside my home and going through my garbage

had Eugene Ingram investigate me and visit me twice, taking photos of me

picketed my home

picketed my employer (3 times)

had private investigators follow me (even to church and a movie!)

subpoenaed me in cases I had nothing to do with and their attorney stole from me

put flyers at every house in a 3 block area around my home

-----end quote block------------------

to someone who criticizes them.

To me, it seems that a religion invented by some guy in the 1950s, which states that Xenu, an alien ruler of the "Galactic Confederacy" brought "billions of people to Earth in spacecraft resembling Douglas DC-8 airliners, stacked them around volcanoes and detonated hydrogen bombs in the volcanoes. The thetans then clustered together, stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to do this today." (source:Wikipedia) is absurd.

How can anyone believe that Scientology is true?

I can see how cults that seem like mainstream religions can suck people in, but Scientology is simply absurd.

I guess my questions besides "Has Scientology ever killed someone?", are the following questions:

1) Why would anyone put a target on their back and criticize an obviously absurd "religion"?
2) Why isn't the government doing anything about this "fair game" policy of the Scientologists? It seems their harassment is borderline criminal.

I suppose thinking about Question #2, I've answered my own question "Has Scientology ever killed anyone?" The answer is that they don't want the government on their backs so they have to avoid murdering people. Or if they do, they would have to make it look like an accident...

I'll avoid the whole mess of putting in effort to criticize Scientology, primarily because I wouldn't want to be their target, but also because there are others who have more courage and put their lives on the line to fight against what they think is evil.

But I'd still like to know, has Scientology ever killed anyone?

--eaglecage

Re: Has Scientology ever killed someone?
Posted by: Oerlikon ()
Date: April 23, 2009 10:48PM

Google "Scientology deaths" and you'll get lots of results. Here's some:

[www.whyaretheydead.net]

[www.associatedcontent.com]

[www.scientology-kills.org]

Date: April 23, 2009 10:56PM

Date: April 25, 2009 04:23AM

[www.rantrave.com]

See also this posting, which includes a 4-part, 2008 video report from a NewMexico TV station on the cult's underground vault there:

[cli.gs]

Related story, with some interesting links -- such as a Google Maps image ofa design carved into the hills and visible from space...

A legacy of Craziness
[cli.gs]

"The sprawling design that marks the ranch is the official symbol of aChurch of Scientology-owned corporation called the Church of SpiritualTechnology and, according to a November 27, 2005 article in the WashingtonPost, marks the property as a place for Scientologists of the distant futureto return to from other planets in the universe."

[www.foxnews.com]

Posted by: cynthiahoney ()
Date: April 29, 2009 05:39PM

All I know about Scientology is that Tom Cruise is a member and some other Hollywood stars. I have often wondered which purpose the religion has?! Isn't it all about money? Honestly I must admit that I am a bit shocked that Scientology is involved in murdering people. I always thought that they are indeed very strict but I am of the opinion that they are going too far with this.

Date: April 29, 2009 09:33PM

Wow, that is a lot of information, Oerlikon Thank you. I knew that Scientology was bad, but not to the point of being the reason for many deaths.

I didn't read all of the links that you put up Oerlikon, but I read enough to bolster what I already knew, that Scientology is a dangerous cult.

From what I read, there was one death in particular that stood out for me. From "The Morgue" at [www.scientology-kills.org], I found a link that described the death of Philip Gale, an MIT student who committed suicide (http://www.scientology-kills.org/dead/dead_gale.htm)

I follow some other links regarding this, and I found that Sky Dayton, the founder of Earthlink, is also a Scientologist, who went to the same prep school as Philip Gale, the Delphian School in Oregon.

It was surprising to me, because it shows that Scientologists have significant power. Entertainers like Tom Cruise, John Travolta, or even Nancy Cartwright (who is the voice of Bart Simpson; she joined Scientology during a rough patch in her life. There were many successful Scientologists at a party she was invited to, and she decided that was the best thing to do with her life.. Entertainers have influence, but usually not the type of power that comes with money and control of infrastructure.

But Sky Dayton is/was the CEO and/or the Chairman of the Board for Earthlink (one of the largest Internet Service Providers in the country) and also Helio, a wireless carrier. This shows that if Sky Dayton is not merely a nominal Scientologist, then Scientologists may wield considerable influence inside US infrastructure.

Control of an ISP makes it easier to hack into personal computers served by that ISP. The same is true of being in control of a wireless carrier. It makes it easier to hack into a personal cellphone.

I am glad to know that with all the negative publicity surrounding Scientology, it should be unlikely that it will grow much in the future. Still, the fact that there are probably hundreds of thousands who believe in Xenu the galactic alien is simply disturbing. How does this happen?

I suppose that once you are in Scientology, you can't really leave. Tom Cruise can't leave Scientology; they will ruin him. However, if he stays in, they will treat him like a god.

With all that I know about Scientology (which isn't all that much), I can say this:

I am glad that there are people and websites out there getting information out about this destructive and dangerous cult. It is amazing to me that the government doesn't do something about it.

As for me, I'm creating a website for Christian cults, and I won't include information about Scientology on there, since:

1) There are already many critics of Scientology.
2) It is obvious that Scientology is absurd.
3) Scientology is a dangerous and destructive cult that attempts to silence critics through legal and other types of harassment.
4) I don't want to be harassed.

--eaglecage

Date: April 30, 2009 02:30AM

You are welcome, but what I have showed you is merely the tip of the iceberg.

If Scientology is not a group that is evil in its very essence, then I do not know what is.

Read about what they did to Paulette Cooper with Operation Freakout.

[en.wikipedia.org]

[home.snafu.de]

Read about Operation Snow White.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Read about what they did to Lisa McPherson.

[www.lisamcpherson.org]

I encourage you to read all you can abuut this group and these people. I especially recommend A Piece of Blue Sky and the book by Kaufman.

[www.cs.cmu.edu]

[www.cs.cmu.edu]

Having decided in 1952 that most science fiction is actually a recounting of real past-life experience, Hubbard's own preoccupations as a science fiction writer became the cosmology of his religion. He was an egomaniac who generated an egomaniacal philosophy, which had at its core the belief that whatever happens to others is their own fault. Whatever happened to L. Ron Hubbard was the fault of a great Conspiracy. He advocated personal responsibility to his followers, but almost uniformly failed to practice what he preached.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2009 02:32AM by Oerlikon.

Date: April 30, 2009 03:55AM

I haven't yet read the new information you have given me, Oerlikon, nor have I read all of the older information either. But I know enough to know that Scientology is a crock as well as being dangerous. It would not surprise me if they put hits out on people.

However, I am not sure what you want me to do, other than read more information.

What is it that you think I should do?

--eaglecage

Date: May 01, 2009 03:19AM

eaglecage
I haven't yet read the new information you have given me, Oerlikon, nor have I read all of the older information either. But I know enough to know that Scientology is a crock as well as being dangerous. It would not surprise me if they put hits out on people.

However, I am not sure what you want me to do, other than read more information.

What is it that you think I should do?

--eaglecage

To what end? That depends on what your goal is.

Friend, I do not want you to do anything per se. I am also not going to presume to tell you what you "should" do or what you "ought" to do, as this kind of terminology puts my standards of thought within a kind of ethical framework and prescribes behavior for you, as based on those standards of mine.

Cultic standards and beliefs often continue to influence behavior in the form of such should, ought to, must, or have to statements or ideas.

The emotional consequence of such "should" and "ought" statements is guilt, and the result is feeling pressured and resentful.

I am here neither to pressure anybody into anything, nor to proscribe nor prescribe any kind of behavior or attitude on your part.

Those links I posted above are for the benefit of all reading these boards, including yourself.

However, I do encourage you, if you are seriously interested in these matters relating to cults, abusive and controlling groups and relationships, NRMs, and related matters, to educate and inform yourself about the issues surrounding them, by reading as you possibly can about them and, if you feel comfortable doing so, even meeting and speaking with present and former members of such groups.

The recommended reading list here is a good place to start.

[www.culteducation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2009 03:20AM by Oerlikon.

Posted by: st.louis ()
Date: May 04, 2009 06:37PM

Well actually, Scientology is one of the most dangerous sects existing and in fact there are several human beings being killed by or through Scientology. Above all, you just have to take a look at their rules about medicine (they do not even allow blood transfusions or cesarean sections) or their relation to food and eating habits. As a matter of fact a transfusion can save your live, and if you are a member of Scientology you are not allowed to get a transfusion because they believe that someone's blood (if he or she is not a member of the cult) is abominable and contaminates your body.
Along everything else, the cult with Scientology is definitely weird and dangerous, even because of what they believe in, it is completely ridiculous.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.