Current Page: 6 of 18
Self-Realization Fellowship
Posted by: twiddleedeedum ()
Date: January 06, 2005 07:38AM

Cosmophilospher
I would have no problem believing that they believe that Para-Yogi was God/Christ, and that one day we will all realize this.

He did say he was One with Christ and God. Same difference.

Coz

Seriously, I wonder how many individuals interested in hinduism and eastern religion have any idea that the "Second Coming" has already occurred.

I can't find anything online about this -- evidentally none of the monks/nuns that posted at SRF Walrus had any idea that their "superiors" had identified the messiah.

Pretty amazing, LOL

:roll:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: January 06, 2005 01:58PM

I really don't know much about this whole situation. Perhaps some others that posted here would know more about it.

But either the folks in charge are True Believers, and want to preserve the body-DNA for his Resurrection, or maybe want to scatter his ashes in India, or whatever...

But they could also be Cynics, who just want the Shrine in a certain place for financial reasons, and reasons of power?

I have no idea what those in charge of SRF are thinking, but my guess is that they are thinking about their own welfare first, no matter how self-righteous they appear.

Coz

Date: January 08, 2005 05:10AM

Evidentally, the Mormon version of Jesus is entirely different than that of Christianity.

I am now curious as to whether there were any Mormons among the ex-monks and ex-nuns who left in exodus numbers in 2002.

Or.... if the Mormons who are accepted into SRF are the ones who are told the "real" truth, the Big Secret about the identity of Yogananda who they actually believe to be Jesus the Christ, the Messiah of the Second Coming.

And that only they are spiritually evolved enough to discern this - until 500 years from now when everyone on the planet will worship Jesus Christ AKA Yogananda at Mount Washington.

I don't have the time or inclination to research Mormon Doctrine, but I believe that the answers to alot of enigmas that the monks and nuns have been discussing -- all those discussions at SRF WALRUS about how so much of their experience at SRF simply made no sense... perhaps their confusion may be cleared up if they can identify the Morman Jesus-Yogananda Doctine or Morman Christ-Yogananda Teachings that apparently are the REAL beliefs hiding at the foundation of that quagmire called SRF Mother Center.

However, it is also possible that the Mormons who are the leaders of SRF are actually ex-Mormons and that their belief that the Second Coming of Christ has transpired in the form of Yogananda is due to any number of 'esoterica' found throughout the Theosophical and/or Spiritualist movement.

Date: January 12, 2005 04:43AM

Does anyone here know if the Wright family members, those who formed the nucleus of what became the SRF were ever officially excommunicated from the Mormon church?

Inotherwords, are there public records made when one is excommunited from the LDS? How about Laurie Pratt? Does anyone know if the early mormon members who flocked to PY remained members in good standing within the Mormon Church?

I've read elsewhere that SRF allegedly has purchased a huge number of rental properties throughout the Los Angeles area. Anybody have any idea to whom these units are rented to? Would there be any way to find out if a large preponderance of this rental property is leased by Mormons?

Could the organization currently known as Self Realization Fellowship actually have been, many decades ago, very secretly appropriated by the Mormon Church - or, if that is simply impossible, was it taken over by a "renegrade" sect of mormons?

The more I read and explore accounts on the Net, that more I am astounded by the fact that the deification of PY via AOAY remains to this day the the most amazing pinnacle of pure marketing prowess in the entire history of American Capitalism, bar none.

Talk about "branding" - :)

Has anyone here personally read the Ph.d. thesis about the SRF nuns? If so, do you recall if the grad student mentioned anything about a preponderance of nuns with a mormon background?

WHY in heaven's name, (so to speak,) have none of the academics in the fields of sociology, theology, psychology, or even history not become interested in this ... debacle?

It will probably be years & years before anyone remarks on these questions of mine -- but I will check back every once in a while.

Currently, however, I suspect that maybe (?) there is more behind this New Religious Movement than a group of siblings whose mother allegedly left a polygamous marriage in Salt Lake City which was mentioned by srflongago on the "SRF Walrus" ezboard forum mentioned at the top of this page.

Surely there must be some public record, somewhere, that mentions whether any of the early mormon adherents of PY were ever formally excommunicated --- and if they were not -- then the question becomes, "Why were they not excommunicated?"

Sorry, once again, for all the questions --- however, in so much of my reading, it seems that so many individuals want the core elite senior citizens weilding the control of SRL to "wake up" -- and it is my opinion that such is impossible, as that coterie consists of the True Believers who were Marketing Geniuses of the 20th Century, the creme de la creme of materialism.

That these True Believers sought to construct a $40-million dollar mausoleum for the remains of THEIR "yogi-Christ", for the benefit of posterity shows a delusion of such incomprable magnitude, so deeply engrained and stubbornly permanently coalesced by the defense mechanism of pathological clinical denial -- that for anyone to expect them, in old age, to suddenly "wake up" -- is perhaps a greater delusion than the Prime Delusion fiercely held by these True Believers.

My thanks to the creator of Walrus and Cultbusters. I'll check back during the forthcoming years to see if private investigators get to the bottom of this enigma.

And my heartfelt thank yous to any ex-cult members who publically shared their experiences after having devoted years of their time & energy & soul to this debacle. I am sorry this happened to you and I wish you only the very best.

Posted by: YellowBeard ()
Date: January 18, 2005 08:19AM

Much appreciation for your comments here. Lots of food for thought and investigation. Unfortunately I don't have any answers on these questions.

Posted by: ULTAWARE ()
Date: January 18, 2005 10:25AM

YB,

You know how when two people are walking toward each other, you step aside to let them by, but they step aside in the same direction, then you step aside again the other way with them doing the same. I did that little dance by accident one time with one of the monastics on the grounds -- he looked like he wanted to rip me to pieces with his bear hands after

The comedian George Carlin addresssed this "human interaction episode" in the past by saying "There is no English word to describe this, it just happens, seemingly by chance...most often with smiles on both people's faces! :D

PAX

Date: January 19, 2005 03:36AM

:)

[img:bae57c020a]http://www.cvc3.org/modelcourses/ahoppenagao/images/walking.gif[/img:bae57c020a]

Date: February 19, 2005 02:31AM

If interested in a more in-depth look into issues related to SRF, feel free to visit:

Cult Busters - SRF Division

Date: March 05, 2005 12:10PM

On our message board (mentioned in the preceding post), does anyone have any comments on whether a disclaimer should be used on the site? Do disclaimers actually really do anything?

Let's say someone files for defamation of character, would a disclaimer actually have any effect on limiting such legal harassment efforts?

Other than disclaimers, anyone have any ideas on what other actions should be taken to help ensure a legal harassment-free environment for these discussions?

Any ideas on this issue would be much appreciated.

Date: April 08, 2005 02:56PM

Great new compilation of information, research and commentary out on SRF and Yogananda in a chapter in the eBook [i:41826330b1]Stripping the Gurus[/i:41826330b1] by Geoffrey Falk. This chapter can be read for free at:

[www.strippingthegurus.com]

In fact, 50% of the book is available for free there. The book covers more or less the "top forty" spiritual leaders and their associated groups to have influenced Western spirituality over the past century.

This is a mandatory read for anyone interested (or if someone you care about is interested or involved) in SRF and/or Yogananda, particularly considering the fact that the info is being offered for free. And also considering the fact that it offers an exposé of the cultic nature of a wide array of figures and groups, I feel it's definitely worth mentioning it here and appropriate for cultic studies.

Current Page: 6 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.