Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New Gurdjieff Group
Posted by: luthergrunge ()
Date: February 20, 2009 06:07AM

I have been to a few Gurdjieff group meetings in VA over the past 6 months and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the "new" movement. I have been assured that although there are many that have strayed from the true origins of the teaching and some have no resemblence at all to any Gurdjieff group what the current consensus is? Everyone seemed highly educated and bright,there was no talk of money or tapes allthough it was suggested that books be read and that there was easy web access to much of the literature and material. My own investigations on this site and many others offers volumes of conflicting information. The group seemed very sincere and seemed to offer some logical thought insight into some pretty deep spiritual questions. Any comments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Gurdjieff Group
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 20, 2009 07:12AM

Are you attempting to solicit new members?

Posted by: Keir ()
Date: February 20, 2009 08:18AM

To luthergrunge (Or to those who may be thinking of joining a Gurdjieff based group)

There has been some controversy wether Gurdjieff's teachings are really associated with Sufi teachings.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Date: February 21, 2009 05:10AM

No, I am looking for information on whether the groups are really bad or if there are a good learning tool.

Date: February 21, 2009 05:11AM

I have read that and also that there were many splinter groups that had gone far from the original work.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 21, 2009 05:31AM

Yes. There are splinter groups that have been called "cults," such as the Fellowship of Friends led by Robert Burton and The Work led by Sharon Gans.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: February 21, 2009 10:30AM

basically every culty group of a certain type targets people who are ...educated, and bright, and they never talk about money up-front, they do the opposite.
They also seem sincere, as many of them sincerely believe in what they are doing.

Modern cults don't shave their heads bald and beat bongo drums.
Things are a lot more subtle, and even invisible.

Date: February 23, 2009 10:59PM

If these things are subtle and invisible are we certain they are there? How do we determine an invisible force is corrupting us and to what standard do we verify this? I am not trying to be difficult I am trying to understand.

Posted by: yasmin ()
Date: February 24, 2009 12:23AM

Hi Luthergrunge:
I think perhaps it is more often subtle than invisible.

Don't know much about Gurdjieff Groups, so can only give a general example;
Jonestown/the Jim Jones cult, recruited a lot of bright educated people, including at least one lawyer. It sounds like for the most part , group members believed in the high ideals of the group; racial integration and helping those born into poverty. And it does not sound like giving money or leaving your homes to move to a commune was introduced as an idea at the beginning.

Think perhaps it was that groups' devotion to one person, ( who became power hungry and insisted that his followers obey his decrees without question) that caused the problem?

Hope maybe this is useful.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 12:30AM by yasmin.

Date: February 27, 2009 02:01AM

This I can understand. However, how different is that than being devoted to a certain priest or minister or Pastor such as Jerry Falwell was at Lynchburg or Pat Robertson and the like who preach Christianity from compounds and insulated Evangelical circles. am really trying to determine and understand how certain "paths or "teachers are labeled Cults or Cult like when from what I can see Catholicism, Protestantism,Christianity (although Jesus appears to be the sanest although most mystical at it's core) are all Cult like and have a certain cult like flavor. A bit more benign and passive but just the same.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.