Posted by: Guruphobiac ()
Date: October 19, 2008 02:40AM

It's lengthy, but here it is in case anyone wants to have a look:

[www.pennypresslv.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Obama’s Use of Hidden Hypnosis Techniques in His Speeches
Posted by: Fishbulb ()
Date: October 19, 2008 11:17AM

It's a PDF file that requires downloading onto my computer. No thanks.

I'm not overly fond of either candidate but I think the people who prefer Obama, do so for quite a variety of reasons that has nothing to do with hypnosis.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: October 20, 2008 08:06AM

yeah, its a 67 page pdf file, I have not read all of it.
But he is making the claim that Obama is a master of Ericksonian Hypnosis...which I happen to know quite a bit about.
But I see many problems here, first off, who wrote this article? Its posted on a conservative website, so obviously its being used as another election tactic.

Its amusing how whoever wrote this article is using the very techniques they are alleging on those they are sending it to, a type of counter-propaganda persuasion. They are trying to do exactly what they are alleging.
Also, of course bigtime political people don't write their own speeches anymore, they have teams of writers skilled in persuasion.

Personally, I see this as more a part of various types of political smear methods, like Swift-Boating, etc. They will probably get more bang out of saying someone is a secret muslim terrorist.

But no question, all big time speakers are using aspects of these types of persuasion techniques, if the opposing political sides had people who could remember to do them, they would try to use them as well.

but it is an interesting analogy how a large political convention and movements of all sides could have aspects of LGAT style persuasion woven into them. Possibly the highest inner-circles of various political movements do operate in a cult-ish fashion.
And electioneering is all about persuasion.

Date: October 20, 2008 08:09AM

but as far as his charisma, seems to me his charisma is not hypnosis, more like Elvis or Clinton or Reagan, seems to me. Some guys got it, some guys don't got it.

Posted by: mysticjaw ()
Date: October 20, 2008 05:41PM

I briefly examined the article and looked at the resources. The article appears to be more about conjecture and inference. It was not written in a journal style, dry and completely informative, it is written more in a persuasive style without a solid body of evidence other than inferences to support its theory. Obama is persuasive, charismatic and confident. And he is placing himself on the front line. People who hypnotize do not necessarily place themselves in the public eye or under such scrutiny very often, especially if they are doing so for personal gain. They do not like critics and attack anyone who goes against them. Obama is open to criticism, good and bad. I do not think that this article has much merit or weight, especially when examined under the critical eye.

Obama doesn't use Hidden Hypnosis Techniques in His Speeches
Date: October 21, 2008 03:57AM

what I find interesting here, is that what they are talking about, NLP based conversational hypnotic persuasion, is done by many people.
People like Byron Katie, and many others, use aspects of it.

And high-powered people in that field have been hired by advertisers, and persuaders of many sorts. You can see aspects of it in some advertising.
So it does make sense that every political campaign hires professional persuaders, who try to figure out how to persuade people to vote, that's where all the repetition and talking points come from.
Also, you can bet that the pro-persuaders have read every book there is on the subject of Influence.

But the idea that Obama is putting millions into a Trance doesn't hold water. Most people at political rallies are somewhat play-acting for the camera, as its advertising.
That being said, there are also some people who go manic to a degree, but that is more about popstar style celebrity, large crowds, etc.

but I don't see Obama using conversational hypnosis in his speeches in that sense. Of course he and every politician at that level uses persuasion, and ambiguity, and about 100 other things to try and move some votes.
Some will even tell fibs!! OMG!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.