Current Page: 13 of 24
Re: Geshe Kelsang Gyatso (New Kadampa Tradition)
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 11, 2011 04:08PM

' I would amend that to say, "Carnal acts with reviled women are necessary to reach enlightenment, in Tantric Buddhism". '

I used the 'carnal acts with reviled women' to underscore the real acts from which the thought world that is being constructed derives. The chased-after, creativity- creating 'wholeness' that is sought is a marriage of the male and female principles--this can only be a euphemism for the procreative acts that humans have been using to populate the planet since the year dot.

In an effort to make something exalted and holy out of the mundane cloth of existence--which is pretty much standard for all of us regardless of our pretensions to a 'higher state'---the procreative act and its attendant mysteries of subsequent birth of a new, third entity has been turned into some kind of 'spiritual' obstacle course that requires complete obedience and total submission and surrender to the all-knowing guru.

For the monastic males who have been indoctrinated with a revulsion towards women this obviously presented an obstacle, their revulsion at the idea of consorting with the reviled women, even in fantasy, to be overcome---admittedly a false, culturally constructed obstacle, but a powerful one, that women are dirty and lowly beings (of the earth, not of the heavens) that the supposedly exalted higher being, the monk, wouldn't touch with a barge-pole.

The point of being a monk was to try to become 'of the heavens', special, superior, above the hoi-polloi, above us poor beasts who are chained to the earth.
Since this is bollocks, and has been bollocks from the start--if you're born human there is no escape route from the things of the earth, no matter how many fantastic inner worlds you construct-- you have to construct a cosmology that supports this and all such cosmologies have flaws and contradictions because what works as an effective lure at one point has to be replaced by a different, more effective lure at a later date.

So the reviling women bit works in the beginning to isolate the novice monk and imbue him with a sense of separation and superiority--good old 'them and us'--but becomes tricky later on when the mundane machinations of worldly power are addressed and a bit more flexibility of thought is required.

I am not supporting one side or another of this debate--my interest is in thought and how it is arrived at and the consequences of thinking in a particular prescribed fashion--the rights or wrongs of various religious practices don't particularly interest me, their real world consequences do.

Religious cosmologies don't have to make rational sense, that is part of their allure, and it is pointless, IMO to try to plaster a rational and comprehensive structure onto the cosmology at a later date to try to make it make sense.

The 'higher' practices, the wholeness seeking, the promised creativity and power that results from the acquisition of this exalted state that is the lure, the carrot for the required surrender, submission and obedience, is the mundane two backed beast from which we all spring.
Talk about leading us by the nose, getting lost in the labyrinth, searching for water by the river, making a mountain out of a mole-hill.
Whatever the origin of these practices, they have mostly been co-opted as a means of wielding power over people--hence the enormous gap between what is publicly admitted to and what actually goes on in secret behind closed doors.

Truth is there are no secrets, never have been and no magic power-giving practices either except for those who buy into this worldview and scheme of things. And the magic power-giving is an illusion that is entirely comprised of a internally constructed and irrational thought world.

Worldly power is something else and reserved for the few who are wily enough to grasp the con that is being pulled on the rest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 04:13PM by Stoic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 11, 2011 05:25PM

There is , of course, a funny punchline to this notion of the 'spiritual path' and the obstacles that are deliberately thrown up to be overcome.
For those who manage to navigate these thought worlds and keep a foot on the ground ie retain a semblance of critical and independent thought throughout this process of being comprehensively hoodwinked by master con-men, there is a final arrival at a sort of sanity.
It is not the destination that confers 'power' but what the traveller learns about himself and his capacity to completely con himself, on the way.
And it is a 'not very powerful' sort of power, unless your primary interest is in having some power and control over your own future behaviour--when you realise that its power is truly awesome.

That is why this path presents dangers to those who are not honest with themselves in what they are seeking, it will find out and expose those who unthinkingly or unwittingly fall into the traps of chasing worldly power, indulgence and amassing wealth and fame.

So in that sense, I think the buddha, if he ever existed as an individual, human, historical figure and not as a cultural composite for the purposes of a coherent story, knew what he was doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 05:29PM by Stoic.

Date: July 11, 2011 08:05PM

Like all good punchlines, the joke is much better appreciated if you arrive at the finishing line through your own mental efforts, and without suffering too much pain and grief on the way.

Getting caught in these ephemeral thought worlds and taking them for a concrete reality is where the pain, damage and psychiatric casualties happen.
People who promote these thoughtworlds as some kind of super-specially-real reality that 'transcend' mundane life are con men who are more interested in the worldly benefits they can coerce from pliable others than any notion of serving a higher purpose.

Posted by: grainne uaile ()
Date: July 12, 2011 04:31AM

Your posts are always interesting Stoic as are Misstyk's.

I guess it should be different with monks, nuns, lamas and other gurus because they are following the spiritual path, and one would like to believe that it would lead to saint-hood. Perhaps the only real saints are those who are out helping mankind without a Bible or the Gita in their hand, like Mother Teresa who took the dying off the streets and cared for them.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 12, 2011 06:38AM

In case these are pertinent, here are two books mentioned in another thread by SteveLpool

Any citizen, even if not in the Dharma has a right to read and express an opinion.

Many of these entities declare themselves religious non profits, so they are indirectly subsidized by less evolved folk who continue to pay tax to the IRS.

And in some cases, especially the vajrayana lineages, money is being sent to leaders in Nepal, India, Bhutun and Sikkim.

So that money had better be spent to support the practice of all sentient beings, whether rich or poor, ill or healthy, with no favoritism to powerholders or those whom powerholders consider wealthy, socially useful or erotically interesting.

The West is giving these lamas and tulkus and rinpoches respect, attention, trust and money. We deserve in return to be treated with respect, not trained as peasants or used as playthings.

Buddha's Not Smiling

[www.google.com]-

Rogues in Robes

[www.google.com]

Date: July 12, 2011 07:15AM

There was another book on the same subject mentioned by SteveLpool which looks at the power politics at play in the courts of the high lamas over succession to a vacant throne. The similarities to the past intrigues and infighting of the various royal families of Europe and the pretenders to their thrones is striking.

[www.dharmalife.com]

Posted by: Sulmaya ()
Date: July 14, 2011 07:19PM

Dear all,

I have recently read through this thread. Seems lots of it has gone off course.

This appears to be a battlefield. One group (represented by Pema) promoting another tradition over this one, another group viciously attacking NKT and a third group desperately and zealously trying to defend it.

I have been, in a sense, a Buddhist/Buddhologist for many years and have had very close association with NKT for 12 of those years. I have also had lovely associations with other traditions. I have had the chance to meet and get to know many of the admin and "VIP" members of NKT as well, and have even lived in one of their centers!

Here are my impressions:

Pros:

- As a person who loves reading and studying Dharma, I find GK Gyatso's books unbeaten.
Thoroughly inspiring and clear, giving you the full scope of Dharma from A to Z. Very open, very practical and very profound. Linguistically, they surpass most other authors on Buddhism I have come across

- Great education programme and teachers, providing something for everybody, from
basic breathing meditation to mantra workshops to Highest Yoga Tantra teachings. All very practical, down to earth and positive. The style of Buddhism is very well balanced and close in spirit to the Atisha – Je Tsongkhapa.

- The greatest emphasis in all their books, teachings, festivals, etc is universal compassion.
Nothing is ever done without it.

- They are independent from the Dalai Lama and other Gelug groups; this is a positive thing. The tradition thus has remained clear, focused and been able to flourish in the direction it has always been aiming.

- The organization is humble and democratic. There is no profit being made resulting in a select few members getting fat and wealthy, and all centres function as independent communities, with all their members having a say and a voice in what happens and the changes that take place.

- Geshe Kelsang has lived in the same small room since he arrived in England in 1977. He owns little and lives very basically. Despite many claims online, he appears to be a very humble and authentic monk (of course, we cannot prove any pro or con statements – these are just observations). In comparison to the Dalai Lama (whom I deeply respect and am not attempting to defame here at all), his teachings are exclusively dharma-focused and he seems to ‘walk the talk’. He also doesn’t exude any of the ‘super guru’ characteristics of so many Tibetan Rinpoches and Tulkus.

Cons:

- The tradition (especially since GKG's retirement) has developed an increasingly zealous
defensive attitude towards all 'others', creating petty and unecessary retaliation organisations like NKT truth and WSS - Western Shugden Society. WSS claim to be a different organization, but I know the people who wrote the book, and they are all NKT ordained. For those who haven’t read their book, ‘A Great Deception’, better leave it be. It is a merely political work in retaliation and name calling.

- Despite my deepest respect and love of GKGs books and teachings, there remains, for my taste, too much exclusive emphasis on only NKT books and teachers; I have never seen anyone being told not to read other books, but it is certainly suggested very strongly, albeit subtly.

- Greatest ‘con’ is that the NKT place more and more importance on institutional values and functions rather than Dharma. The pre-summer festival ‘international teacher training programme’, which takes place every year, is no more than a “How to run your centre like a business” workshop, with no dharma teachings at all.

This last point for me is the greatest weak point. However, in my opinion, this is a world wide, universal issue with all religious (and non-religious) groups, and therefore represents a psychological problem with humanity. I have come across it in FWBO, Diamond Way, FPMT and many other traditions. It’s the old story of ignorant people getting overly comfortable with the external form of their spiritual path (i.e., the institution), getting very attached to it, and unknowingly replacing their true spiritual path with an external set of regulations and rituals. Chogyam Trungpa’s book “Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism” is an excellent teaching on that subject.

Date: July 15, 2011 10:08PM

'Chogyam Trungpa’s book “Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism” is an excellent teaching on that subject.'

Just a shame that the great teacher couldn't practice what he preached.
But then that's what all of these threads are about, battlefield or not.

Its that old authoritarian staple: do as I say, not as I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 10:11PM by Stoic.

Posted by: Sulmaya ()
Date: July 15, 2011 11:09PM

Dear Stoic,

Do you know that for a fact, or is it something you've heard? For that too is an important question for the spiritual quester to ask. With all the negative hearsay around, at the end of the day we have no idea as to the quality of the mind of any individual other than ourself. If a teaching is beneficial, then it comes from wisdom; thats what I think!

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 15, 2011 11:23PM

(Note by Corboy--this may be a different name. But the arguement is articulate)

First allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sulmaya, I have been a practitioner within the New Kadampa Tradition for twelve years and have studied Buddhism and Vedanta-Dharma in general, both in other centers and organisations, as well as at University.

On behalf of myself and many Sangha friends, I am writing this letter which I was hoping to post on a respectable website dealing with the Dorje Shugdän issue, but alas, I was not able to find a suitable place for it. Unfortunately your site does not allow for the public to engage in dialogue.

I would like to begin by questioning your organisations motivations and the results you hope to achieve. You have gone from being a necessary and brave response to an unfounded religious ban, to a zealous, political and separatist group of missionaries. Please allow me to list the following points to explain my reasons for saying this:

1. Your book, ‘A Great Deception’, while highlighting many interesting facts, is hell-bent on proving that the Dalai Lama supported Mao. You base this on a poem of praise he wrote to the chairman when he was a child. You therefore fail to understand impermanence and emptiness: a) You insist that the Dalai Lama of today holds the same sentiment, and b), you do not consider the milieu around the young Lama which surely influenced his writing.

2. You claim to harbour no ill will towards the Dalai Lama. Yet you claim in your book that he is one of the most evil and deceptive people ever to have lived within the religious system of Tibet. You therefore contradict yourself according to worldly view and even more so according to the Buddhist view: You allow no freedom for the practitioner to chose, if he or she wishes, Dalai Lama as a Guru.
3. You make sweeping statements, such as on your website:

Throughout his life the Dalai Lama has had close associations with many Nazis, including Bruno Beger, who was convicted for his ‘scientific research’ at Auschwitz; and Miguel Serrano, head of the Nazi Party in Chile and the author of several books that elevate Hitler to a god-like status. As a child he was under the tutelage of Heinrich Harrer – a former sergeant in the SS, Hitler’s most loyal soldiers – who for some years in Tibet before the Chinese occupation taught the young Dalai Lama about the outside world

Did not Buddha claim that we should love all living beings and have equanimity? Is therefore your allegation not a bit of a shot in the foot, for it seems to illustrate that perhaps Dalai Lama had such equanimity. Furthermore, could it not very well be possible that any monk in Tibet, including Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, met and possibly befriended SS or other Nazi-affiliated personnel, who happened to be travelling through the region? If such a fact came to light, would you use it to back up an unfounded argument that Geshe Kelsang is a Nazi sympathiser?

4. You claim to be an entirely independent organisation made up of many Shugden practitioners from varying traditions and countries. Yet you have been criticised for being a fringe-group of the NKT. So far there is nothing to suggest that this is not so: Most of your Buddhist background information and Buddhist quotes come from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s books, the Thangkas you use for your website are all NKT thangkas, and your book has recently been made forcibly available in NKT centers – no other centers, as far as I’m aware of. Are you not doing exactly what you criticise Dalai Lama of doing: Mixing Dharma with politics? What is a book that aims at accusing a person of tremendously horrific crimes and that dwells in intrigues within the CIA, SS and Tibetan Government in Exile doing next to ‘Heart of Wisdom’ ??

5. If it is so important to keep Buddhism pure and free of politics, and equally important to keep each tradition pure, why are you continuing in your actions of segregation? Do you not see the very obvious separatism your continuous actions are causing?

I would like to mention, that we believe Geshe Kelsang’s request to demonstrate against the ban was a very positive and purely motivated one. Much attention was raised to many hidden problems within the Tibetan community and the Dalai Lama’s office. Please understand: This is not what you are doing. In religious philosophy, one often comes across the concept of ‘self-righteous pity’ and ‘attachment to view’. What you are doing (and much of the same can be said about NKT Truth) is as follows:
You are identifying yourselves very strongly with a group. Any group identification needs an enemy. Your enemy is forcefully imputed upon the Dalai Lama & co. Then, like any fan would do for their idol, you radically and aggressively defend your group, your god; In doing so, you have created an absolutist regime, in which no criticism, no middle way and no alternative methods of points of views are allowed. In short, you have become your imputed enemy.

After thought

One of the most controversial and outspoken western lamas of the Karma-Kagyu tradition Diamond Way, Lama Ole Nydahl, was also faced with outside interference from the Dalai Lama regarding the true identity of their Karmapa. What they did was they continued with their practice and belief in their path, pointed out the erroneous involvement of the Dalai Lama in a respectful way, and mentioned nothing more of it. Even Lama Ole recognises that, to hundreds of thousands of people, the Dalai Lama is important and should be appreciated, cherished and above all, understood.
You, a far larger organisation, with generally more publicly respected teachers, have failed in this matter. You have put a logo on NKT and WSS and claim it as your own business, that like any other, needs to be protected, shunned from ‘evil doers’ and controlled absolutely.

Have you no faith in Buddha, Dharma and Sangha?

Thank you. Many wishes and best regards.

about 5 months ago[www.facebook.com]

(Those who read to the end will see that Ole Nydahl chose not to aggress with the Dalai Lama. It appears the DL is too important to mess with, but that Muslims and Islam are fair game)

Current Page: 13 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.