Current Page: 41 of 53
Re: Recovering from New Age Mumbo Jumbo
Posted by: knotty ()
Date: January 01, 2015 01:59PM

I know from experience in this area that de-funking yourself is a bit of a journey, but the most powerful weapon against all this is to study theories of logic because in order to fight off all this BS, you have to know how the human mind can deceive ourselves through logical fallacies, then pull yourself out of that thinking. Logic is not natural to us, it something we have to study and teach ourselves. New age crap plays on logical fallacies in a big way, like the attribution bias and confirmation bias are the biggest BS they play on.

Becoming a skeptic and studying logical theory has helped a lot in de-funking my head after leaving a cult. For years, I went from one new age thing to another hoping for the magic cure to fix my life after the cult, but it left me more and more hopeless and feeling stupid, broken until I befriended some atheists who talked about all these logical fallacies I had. After researching, www.skepdic.com I learned about logical theory as well as just how messed up new age really is, and researched online from there.

It's not an instant cure, it takes studying how logic works and what defies logic, but my life is much better now that I actually think HOW to improve it and working on it rather than waiting for some insight or miracle to just land in my lap. And when crap happens, as it will, just roll with it and know that there are billions of things happening on earth at every moment and coincidences are not only likely, but inevitable, unavoidable and don't read too much into them.

New age beliefs teach that there is no such thing as a coincidence, but to avoid coincidences would probably defy several laws of nature. and Just to be clear, I am not advocating atheism as that would be against the TOS, but rather the dedicated study of logical theory which is the opposite of New Age crap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 01, 2015 10:45PM

A specific book that explains exactly how cults work is a very good way to educate yourself and move forward.

See [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2015 10:52PM by rrmoderator.

Posted by: knotty ()
Date: January 02, 2015 09:38AM

Thanks! I added it to my wish list. I needed this years ago. I found out through your archive that the cult I was in was a branch of The Door that changed its name after some exposure. It seems they keep morphing to avoid their crap when it hits the fan.

RXed by Knotty: What is the Harm? website
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 06, 2015 03:15AM

What is the Harm?

A website on problems that have arisen for persons
who utilized alternative medicine.

[whatstheharm.net]

The Kali Yuga in Historical Perspective
Date: January 08, 2015 01:21AM

turday, January 03, 2015
The Kali yuga in context
As readers of Guénon well know, the concept of the kali yuga or dark age is central to his thought, and thus to Traditionalism as a whole. An excellent new article on the Hindu origins and European uses of the concept places its development in a wider context. The article is Luis González-Reimann, "The Yugas: Their Importance in India and their Use by Western Intellectuals and Esoteric and New Age Writers," Religion Compass 8 (2014), pp. 357–370.

González-Reimann argues that the concept of the kali yuga is a late one, emerging in India only around the first century AD, when it helped to explain the various disasters then afflicting the classical Vedic system.

It became known in Europe during the seventeenth century, but did not attract much attention until the eighteenth century, when Voltaire was among those interested in it, and in the challenge that the system of the yugas presented to established Christian chronology.

The intellectual mainstream soon lost interest, however, according to González-Reimann because of the impact of a refutation by Sir William Jones. In fact, I suspect, it was also because chronologies based on geology were then beginning to render all other varieties of chronology obsolete.

Even if the intellectual mainstream lost interest in the yugas, esotericists did not.

(Rene Guenon, Blavatsky, Besant, and the anthroposophist Rudolf Steiner all
interpreted the KY in their different ways.)

For the rest of the article, read here:

[traditionalistblog.blogspot.com]

Pseudoscience at the Grocery Store
Date: January 18, 2015 11:54PM

[www.thedailybeast.com]

This ties in with a concept from sociology -- 'cultic milieu"

[forum.culteducation.com]

Health food stores are great places to see this.

(Sadness)

It is reaching a point where affluent westernized persons are
becoming afraid of food.

Calvin Trillin, in American Fried put it in humane
terms:

"Do you like it? Does it make you happy? Did you clean your plate?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 11:59PM by corboy.

Food for Thought -- Where We are Vulnerable
Date: February 06, 2015 01:20AM

Date: February 06, 2015 01:22AM

David Brooks has published an essay in the New York Times, entitled
Building Better Secularists.

One may not agree with Mr. Brooks' conclusions. But he does seem
to identify many areas where people feel vulnerable and tired.

And--a number of personality cults have developed from
secular premises.

These groups did offer commmunity and prefabricated belief systems
--and their own terminology, as well.

A few excerpts are quoted below. To read the full essay, go
here:

[www.nytimes.com]

Building Better Secularists

David Brooks, February 3rd, 2015

Over the past few years, there has been a sharp rise in the number of people who are atheist, agnostic or without religious affiliation. A fifth of all adults and a third of the youngest adults fit into this category.

As secularism becomes more prominent and self-confident, its spokesmen have more insistently argued that secularism should not be seen as an absence — as a lack of faith — but rather as a positive moral creed. Phil Zuckerman, a Pitzer College sociologist, makes this case as fluidly and pleasurably as anybody in his book, “Living the Secular Life.

Zuckerman argues that secular morality is built around individual reason, individual choice and individual responsibility.....“Secular morality hinges upon little else than not harming others and helping those in need,” Zuckerman writes.

As he describes them, secularists seem like genial, low-key people who have discarded metaphysical prejudices and are now leading peaceful and rewarding lives. But I can’t avoid the conclusion that the secular writers are so eager to make the case for their creed, they are minimizing the struggle required to live by it.

Consider the tasks a person would have to perform to live secularism well:

? Secular individuals have to build their own moral philosophies. Religious people inherit creeds that have evolved over centuries. Autonomous secular people are called upon to settle on their own individual sacred convictions.

? Secular individuals have to build their own communities. Religions come equipped with covenantal rituals that bind people together, sacred practices that are beyond individual choice. Secular people have to choose their own communities and come up with their own practices to make them meaningful.

? Secular individuals have to build their own Sabbaths. Religious people are commanded to drop worldly concerns. Secular people have to create their own set times for when to pull back and reflect on spiritual matters.....

Corboy note:

When we are tired, lonely and in crisis, how many of us have the
stamina and resources to do the tasks listed above?.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2015 01:23AM by corboy.

The basic recipe for getting us in trouble
Date: February 21, 2015 11:49PM

One often hears: "But Guru X or Teaching X can't be as bad as you
say it is; I benefitted. So much of what they teach is in line with
what the greatest minds and saints have taught!"

Answer:

"Due to the instinct for truth in human nature, absolute lies are not as effective as some people think.

"With half-truths and quarter-truths, on the other hand, you can make people believe almost anything".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 11:50PM by corboy.

Re: The basic recipe for getting us in trouble
Posted by: C.A. Mann, PhD ()
Date: February 25, 2015 12:05AM

Corboy, do you have a reference for the material in your post in italics? It's hard to tell if these are your words and ideas, or if they belong to someone else.
Cathleen Mann, PhD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 12:06AM by C.A. Mann, PhD.

Current Page: 41 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.