Hi, everybody! :)
I am a licensed psychotherapist who has worked with over 2,000 current and former cult members since 1995.
Starting Wednesday evening, October 1st I will be holding an online cult support group at public-talk.com. (I am in the US Eastern Time zone.) It will meet once a week.
I designed the group for people who left their group, but still face challenges functioning in life. Difficulties might include: career/education, relationships, finances, health, depression, grief, shame, re-establishing spirituality -- pretty much any challenge caused by your time in your cult. (You might be interested in reading a list of post-cult symptoms at [KnappFamilyCounseling.com
Some benefits people report from cult support groups:
* Great chance to share experience in a safe, moderated space -- ask questions and get answers!
* Confidential, safe, and secure
* Support from people who experienced what you did -- and don't think you're crazy!
* Work with a therapist who understands -- I spent 20+ years in my own cult
* A place to share and learn solutions that have worked for others
* Inexpensive access to professional therapeutic help (as little as $10/session)
* For many people, group may be faster, more powerful than individual counseling -- and less scary!
* Downloaded transcripts let you re-read and consider insights at your own leisure
* Learn crucial info on cult recovery
The group is open to anyone who is recovering from cult abuse by any group. The group is limited to 10 members, first-come, first-served -- you might want to make your reservation soon.
To learn more -- or if you have any questions at all -- please private message me.
Look forward to recovering with you! :D
I am a 23+ year former member of Transcendental Meditation in recovery from cults for 13+ years.
I've been a cult activist since 1995 and have worked with over 2,000 current and former members of eastern meditation groups, new age groups, multi-level marketing groups, christian/bible-based groups, and many, many more.
I became a mental health professional in 2005 as a licensed psychotherapist (LMSW). You can read more about my practice at [KnappFamilyCounseling.com
These days almost 2/3 of my work is with bible-based groups. It just seems to be the need of the times.
John M. Knapp, LMSW
Knapp Family Counseling
Spiritual & Cultic Abuse: Healing. Prevention. Research.