Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: Anthroposophy, a Secret Religion?
Posted by: Wanderer77 ()
Date: May 19, 2020 06:06AM

I have have enjoyed the wonderful trove of information on various things related to Cults in our culture from Scientology to the dubious work of Gurdjieff (in my younger years, I had an interest in one such group--but more of that in a moment) so I appreciate this page.

But I feel I must defend Anthroposophy or the work of Rudolf Steiner.

Firstly, Steiner contributed a whole host of information on such a rich variety of subjects that it's almost impossible to define him in any succinct way, but I will try by telling you something about my own search in things esoteric.

Firstly, I almost fell for Gurdjieff, who I realized was a cunning trickster of sorts with some sprinkles of truth. This is probably why Ouspensky--his biggest promoter (an accomplished author and journalist in his own right before meeting Gurdjieff, important to note)--took a while before he "woke up" and realized he was being conned...and it's most essential that any potential pupil of Gurdjieff understand that the author of IN SEARCH OF THE MIRACULOUS, a foundational book on the Gurdjieff work, ended up rejecting Gurdjieff altogether later. This proved pivotal in my looking back on those years when I thought Gurdjieff might have had something real to offer.

Some years later, and after much development in my own spiritual path, I came across the work of Rudolf Steiner. I have been reading Steiner--I never say I am an Anthroposophist (I do pay a small dues for Membership to the Society every year, however!) as I am leery of the "ists" and the "isms"--some 25+ years now, and I must say: it's impossible to sum him up except to maybe start with this:

Anthroposophy--definition: "human wisdom" or better yet: "the consciousness of our humanity". There is a modesty implied here and this is key to understanding Steiner, who was extremely self-effacing. (Contrary to what most might believe).

Steiner was involved with the Theosophical movement but broke off from it because of the Krishnamurti hero-worship. He thought it dangerous and had reservations on some other things like too much emphasis on Eastern traditions, and no interest in Western esotericism, etc. Trust me, folks, but Steiner is clean. And here is why--

One of the prime foundational books of Anthroposophy is a work called: THE PHILOSOPHY OF FREEDOM--major importance to this point and why this is not a cult. Right there in the title. One has total freedom in exploring this work. No rules. No demands. No nothing. Except Steiner warns that this is not a belief system...that's the other point..In fact, it is well understood in Steiner circles that one does not take his word for anything. That one must weigh and balance what he says for oneself. This is the premise for all of Steiner's hundreds and hundreds of copious lectures (there are about 300+ titles--all books--credited to this man's amazing amount of exhaustive work on anything from Economic systems, Money, Christology, Biodynamic Farming, Angels, Education, Medicine,..it goes on and on. Yes, some of it is off the wall..I admit...but I read and sort and sift..Steiner was a clairvoyant--never does he ask anyone to believe or accept what he comes up with..it's all on the individual's shoulders and perceptions as he or she sees fit. Period.

So the two main pillars of the work of Steiner are: You have total freedom and it's not a belief system--but one based on one's own capacity for knowledge. And you're the ultimate judge of this material. Steiner is its humble servant. He was a PhD in Philosophy--so expect the heavy lumber. The ideas of the Luciferic and Ahrimanic and the Christ impulse at humanity's center is a way of understanding the spiritual forces that work against but in some ways for humanity, with the coming of the Christ being a central force in counteracting the deleterious effects of those darker forces. Ahrimanic: Cold science, insistent materialism as the end all of life--; the Luciferic: --the rush to the spirit world, drug addiction. These are simple ways of understanding these forces. The Christ being is a being for all.

As far as Waldorf education--there are problems with parents understanding that the next basic thing about Steiner's work is seeing that life itself, in all its capacity, is imbued with a spiritual essence. Because of the variety of people seeking Waldorf education, there are problems with schools' celebrating Christmas or Christian celebrations. So there's all this stuff parents argue and fight about in these matters. Understand, Steiner was Euro-centric. He was a man of his times. So keep in mind that the key to approaching his work is freedom and flexibility. Don't take his work for anything.

There have many times where I have disagreed with Steiner, and there are times where I feel he so amazingly correct and this is what keeps me reading him, year after year! Yes, I think some people in this work are a little odd, but that's so true in many things. So I wear it all: "like a loose garment."

I recommend looking at the Goetheanum website..just click on Events. Explore the page. And there are Anthroposophical groups and branches all over the world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: IanKoviak ()
Date: May 30, 2020 09:00AM

My kids or both in Waldorf schools 4 a few years up until around the age of six. From an educational standpoint, it was a Milder and more holistic approach to learning in my opinion. I can't say that Rudolph Steiner's philosophy in terms of some of the race stuff and other cultish elements is pushed excessively within the school. There is obviously ritualistic aspects of the way the year is planned out and how the kids day unfolds. There's also festivals like the Maple Festival and so forth. A lot of these things are done in a sort of naive cultural way. There is definitely not a heavy Dogma. But the actual philosophy, if and when one chooses to look into it and study it, is definitely cultish and full of shit. I always felt we got our kids out of the whole thing at a good age. Before they started to get too indoctrinated. Having grown up in cults, I definitely got the vibe early on, but it didn't feel like anyone was forcing anything or making anyone feel bad for not following are studying the philosophy, so I didn't really feel it was an alarming situation.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 09, 2021 09:39PM

Conspiracy theory doctor surrenders medical license
Barbara Feder Ostrov February 5, 2021

[calmatters.org]

A San Francisco doctor infamous for spreading misinformation linking COVID-19 to 5G communications networks can no longer practice medicine after surrendering his license to California’s medical board.

edical license in December 2020. He has promulgated COVID-19 and 5G misinformation. Image via iStock

In summary

Thomas Cowan, a purveyor of debunked theories, can no longer practice medicine in California. He plans to become an “unlicensed health coach.”

Lea este artículo en español.

For the record: An earlier version of this article referred incorrectly to the conditions of Cowan’s medical board probation. The conditions state that he may request voluntary surrender of his medical license if he stops practicing medicine.

A San Francisco doctor infamous for spreading misinformation linking COVID-19 to 5G communications networks can no longer practice medicine after surrendering his license to California’s medical board.
Support nonprofit journalism in California

We rely on your generous support to cover the stories that matter most to you. If you find our work valuable in these difficult times, please support our journalism.
One-time
Monthly
$10
$15
$25
Other
Annually

Your contribution is appreciated.

Until last July, Thomas Cowan ran an alternative medicine practice that didn’t accept insurance, sold nutritional supplements and offered $375 consultations. Cowan has published several fringe medicine books — including one questioning whether viruses cause disease — that rank highly on searches for vaccine books on Amazon and bookseller Barnes and Noble.
Thomas Cowan, MD. Photo via Twitter
Thomas Cowan, M.D. Photo via Twitter

The medical board in 2017 had placed Cowan on a 5-year probation for prescribing unapproved medications to a breast cancer patient.

Cowan wrote on his website that he closed his practice June 30 and would “relinquish” his license with plans to reemerge as an “unlicensed health coach.” He would move to the East Coast to be near family and would continue to sell herbal supplements online, he added. He could not be reached for comment today.

“I simply see too much to be willing to function as a physician in the medical system at this time,” Cowan wrote. “I will no longer be able to order tests, write prescriptions, make diagnoses or offer treatment plans…I am looking forward to a new way of interacting with my friends, previously known as patients.”

Cowan surrendered his license on Dec. 7 according to medical board documents. The state agency, which regulates and disciplines California doctors, made the license surrender public on Thursday.

Cowan first publicized his discredited theory

[www.reuters.com]

that 5G internet networks cause COVID-19 in a YouTube video

[www.newsweek.com]

that went viral last March.

[www.cbc.ca]

YouTube removed the video as part of its effort to crack down on pandemic misinformation — but not until it was amplified by celebrities with large social media followings, including Woody Harrelson and John Cusack.

[www.nytimes.com]

A Google search using Thomas cowan anthroposophy turned up these citations

[www.google.com]

Meet Our Staff | Fourfold Healing
fourfoldhealing.com › pages › about-us
Cowan relocated to San Francisco in 2003. Dr. Cowan has served as vice president of the Physicians Association for Anthroposophical Medicine and is a founding ...

Fourfold Healing | FourfoldHealing.com - Practice of Dr ...
fourfoldhealing.com
A Very Important Announcement from Dr. Cowan · It's Time to Go · Going Forward · Read More · Holistic Family Medicine | FourfoldHealing.com ...
?About · ?Blogs & Podcasts · ?Contact Us · ?Patients

Thomas Cowan MD | Chelsea Green Publishing
www.chelseagreen.com › Writers
Thomas Cowan, MD, has studied and written about many subjects in medicine, including nutrition, homeopathy, anthroposophical medicine, and herbal medicine. ... He has three grown children and currently resides in San Francisco with his ...

Dr. Thomas Cowan — RAADfest
www.raadfest.com › dr-thomas-cowan
Thomas Cowan, M.D., has studied and written about many subjects in ... as vice president of the Physicians Association for Anthroposophic Medicine and is a ... He has three grown children and lives and practices medicine in San Francisco.

Thomas Cowan - Love made visible
www.lovemadevisible.eu › examples › thomascowan
Cowan relocated to San Francisco in 2003. Dr. Cowan has served as vice president of the Physicians Association for Anthroposophical Medicine and is a founding ...

About Us | Founding Mission | Dr. Cowan's Garden
www.drcowansgarden.com › pages › about-us
Dr. Cowan's Garden is a family-owned-and-run business. ... Weston A. Price Foundation, and he is trained and experienced in Anthroposophic medicine as well.

Dr. Tom Cowan - San Francisco, California, United States ...
www.linkedin.com › drtomcowan
Dr. Tom Cowan. Studied and written about many subjects in medicine including nutrition, anthroposophical medicine and herbal medicine. San Francisco ...

Tom Cowan, MD | Wise Traditions
www.wisetraditions.org › tom-cowan
... he set up an anthroposophical medical practice in Peterborough, New Hampshire. Dr. Cowan relocated to San Francisco in 2003. He is the author of Vaccines ...

BDNow! 005 Dr Thomas Cowan, Anthroposophic Physician ...
radiopublic.com › ...
Dr. Cowan relocated to San Francisco in 2003.Dr. Cowan has served as vice president of the Physicians Association for Anthroposophical Medicine and is a ...

[calmatters.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2021 09:47PM by corboy.

Infectious Disease Oubreaks Waldorfian Anti Vaxx
Date: February 09, 2021 09:45PM

Google Search Terms vaccine refusal outbreaks waldorf schools

[www.google.com]

(First page of citations)

Bastion of Anti-Vaccine Fervor: Progressive Waldorf Schools ...
www.nytimes.com › measles-outbreak-new-york
Jun 13, 2019 — A Waldorf school in North Carolina had an outbreak of chickenpox in ... that they had a right to a religious exemption to vaccine mandates.

As anti-vaxx dispute rages, attention turns to California's ...
www.theguardian.com › society › may › anti-vaxx-cali...
May 28, 2019 — It may also have been the largest under-vaccinated group of children in the ... In California, which has more Waldorf schools than any other state, ... both of which had large unvaccinated populations and outbreaks of measles.

Measles for the One Percent - The Cut
www.thecut.com › 2019/05 › measles-for-the-one-percent
May 29, 2019 — ... parents refused to vaccinate their unvaccinated children during the measles outbreak of 2018-2019. A story of vaccines, Waldorf schools, ...

The Dangerous Curve and The Guardrail: Disease and ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › pmc › articles › PMC5308188
by RJ Kim-Farley · ?2017 · ?Cited by 1 · ?Related articles
The Dangerous Curve and The Guardrail: Disease and Vaccination ... The article on trends in personal belief exemption rates among alternative private schools by ... Control of school-based outbreaks is challenging and costly to both school and ... For example, the authors have identified the Waldorf schools as having the ...
?PARENTS VS SCHOOL... · ?THE GUARDRAIL ANALOGY · ?LEGISLATIVE...

Social Cultivation of Vaccine Refusal and Delay ... - PubMed
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ...
by EJ Sobo · ?2015 · ?Cited by 69 · ?Related articles
Social Cultivation of Vaccine Refusal and Delay among Waldorf (Steiner) School Parents. Med Anthropol Q. 2015 Sep;29(3):381-99. doi: 10.1111/ ...
Missing: outbreaks ?| Must include: outbreaks

Social Cultivation of Vaccine Refusal and Delay among ...
www.researchgate.net › publication › 274642197_Social_...
Oct 10, 2020 — Request PDF | Social Cultivation of Vaccine Refusal and Delay among Waldorf (Steiner) School Parents | U.S. media reports suggest that ...

Over half of Santa Fe Waldorf School students unvaccinated ...
www.abqjournal.com › most-santa-fe-waldorf-school-st...
Jun 22, 2019 — More than half of the student body at the Santa Fe Waldorf School have ... of Health, which approves or denies vaccination exemption requests from ... the students are not vaccinated, said recent measles outbreaks around the ...

Parents who fought vaccinations pull kids from private school
www.lohud.com › rockland › congers › 2019/09/11
Sep 11, 2019 — The Green Meadow Waldorf School lost 60 students this fall as a direct ... had a religious exemption now must begin receiving vaccinations in order ... order banning their children from classrooms during the measles outbreak.

The Autism-Vaccine Debate: Why It Won't Go Away | Waldorf ...
www.waldorftoday.com › 2012/03 › the-autism-vaccin...
Although some Park Slope parents refuse to vaccinate their children at all – an ... the Hepatitis B vaccine birth dose than mothers with an 8th grade education. ... even if they may have helped create an outbreak that killed several children.

Another Waldorf School Reports an Infectious Disease ...
www.precisionvaccinations.com › chickenpox-prevente...
Nov 19, 2018 — A chickenpox outbreak at the Asheville Waldorf School now ranks as North ... This Waldorf school has one of the highest vaccination exemption ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2021 09:45PM by corboy.

Former Waldorf Teacher in UK --- A Report
Date: April 16, 2022 09:25PM

Rudolf Steiner, Racism and Waldorf Schools April 2022

[cultnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2022 09:27PM by corboy.

Posted by: Cult_victim_123 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 04:48AM

this was eye opening. thank you to everyone that has contributed.wow

Kelowna Waldorf School media covreage
Date: September 27, 2023 12:52AM

Of politics and demons
Nicholas Johansen - Feb 18, 2017 / 9:00 am |

[www.castanet.net]

Reddit discussion here:

[www.reddit.com]

Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.