Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Anthroposophy, a Secret Religion?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 13, 2013 11:27AM

If you want to get help timing the stock market, go to your local Waldorf school and ask to consult the persons on staff who are first class members of Anthroposophy.

"To be chosen to a member of the First Class, one must be able to demonstrate a deep commitment to Anthroposophy and also supposedly possess clairvoyant vision before being approved by their mentor, regional group head, the Anthroposophical Society and the Goetheanum.

First Class holders are found in every Steiner Waldorf school, the spiritual health of a school is supposedly measured by the amount of First Class members. "
[www.dcscience.net]

lovelyhorse // Jan 5, 2011 at 21:32

@Tom de Havas, going round in circles is what the Anthroposophical movement does best. I believe they call it ‘coming full circle’.

I feel I cannot really comment on your experiences, my concerns are with what is happening in the schools right now. To bring you up to date the Pedagogical Section of the Goetheanum (Steiner HQ in Switzerland) held four meetings in 2009 each dedicated to the criteria of Steiner Waldorf Education. On the 21st of November 2009, the International Council of Waldorf/Steiner Schools known as the ‘Hague Circle’ passed a set of fundamental criteria of Waldorf Education.

[www.webcitation.org]

The Hague Circle form part of the Pedgogical Section, the international representatives of the First Class (the inner core members of the School of Spiritual Science forming part of the Anthroposophical Society).

Within the Pedagogical Section there is an group responsible for the recognition of schools as Steiner Waldorf Schools and, for kindergartens as Steiner Waldorf Kindergartens. Worth noting is that the legal right to this name is granted only after the school or kindergarten has been recognized as such.

[www.paedagogik-goetheanum.ch]

An outline of the criteria from the European Council for Steiner Waldorf Education is below, note that the word ‘criteria’ has been changed to ‘principles and aspirations’:

[ecswe.net]

Also worth mentioning is that the German Waldorf Association holds the copyright to the Steiner Waldorf trademark.

[www.webcitation.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 04, 2014 08:44AM

bump

Nick Nakorn's blog -- Anthro pseudoscience Infilitration
Date: March 24, 2014 10:18PM

[www.google.com]

Lest we forget Steinerist schools get state funding or are petitioning for state funding in many places.

These schools are based on a religion, and one that many parents, if fully informed of, would not expose their children to, given an informed choice.

Nagara | Polemics, Notes and Essays from a Concerned CitizenPosted on February 8, 2014 by Nick Nakorn ... In my view, we should treat
Anthroposophy the same way we would treat any other racist organization. The
fact ...
nicknakorn.wordpress.com/ - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

Anthroposophy | NagaraJul 15, 2013 ... Posts about Anthroposophy written by Nick Nakorn.
[nicknakorn.wordpress.com] - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

Biodynamics | NagaraOct 6, 2013 ... Posts about Biodynamics written by Nick Nakorn. ... On Facebook and other
social media, Anthroposophists usually respond to criticism as if ...
[nicknakorn.wordpress.com] - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

Steiner 'cult' is an ethos that fosters humanity - Comment - TESDec 11, 2009 ... I can't help wondering if it was the weirdness of anthroposophy, the ..... Nick
Nakorn's response must be the moste paranoid, conspirational ...
www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6029534 - 61k - Cached - Similar pages

Larsen's Embryology used to bolster bogus Biodynamics ...Jun 28, 2010 ... My own new blog is at [nicknakorn.wordpress.com] ... I had never heard of
this anthroposophy, and now that I know about it, my world is just ...
old.richarddawkins.net/.../484295-larsen-s-embryology-used-to-bolster- bogus-biodynamics - 36k - Cached - Similar pages

Larsen's Embryology used to bolster bogus Biodynamics ...Dear Nick Nakorn,. I had never heard of this anthroposophy, and now that I know
about it, my world is just a little bit darker. You have ruined my day. Thank you.
old.richarddawkins.net/discussions/484295-larsen.../comments?... - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

Waldorf critics | UK AnthroposophyNov 10, 2010 ... Posts about Waldorf critics written by ukanthroposophy. ... Prof David
Colquhoun's 'Improbable Science' blog, Nick Nakorn's 'Nagora' blog and ...
ukanthroposophy.wordpress.com/tag/waldorf-critics/ - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

Nick Nakorn writes about institutional... - The Waldorf Review ...Nick Nakorn writes about institutional racism: "The sub-set within this sphere that
I choose to write about most often (I don't have time to tackle everything) is the ...
[nb-no.facebook.com] - 44k - Cached - Similar pages

new blog - Yahoo GroupsNick Nakorn has started a blog, this is the first post: ... vegetarian is common
knowledge but he was also very interested in ecology and studied
Anthroposophy."
[groups.yahoo.com] - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

nothing between rejection and acceptance | the ethereal kioskFeb 7, 2012 ... Now if we look at Anthroposophy and the way in which is practiced one might ....
Nick Nakorn makes an argument to that effect in this thread.
zooey.wordpress.com/.../nothing-between-rejection-and-acceptance/ - 107k - Cached - Similar pages

Date: March 24, 2014 10:21PM

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

Like Loading...
Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments
Kate Humble Promotes Racist Anthoposophical Farm
Posted on October 6, 2013 by Nick Nakorn
From Rush Farm's Facebook page
From Rush Farm’s Facebook page

I think regular readers will by now know of my views concerning organiazations that choose to associate themselves with belief systems based explicitly on racist ideas and practices. In my view, we should treat Anthroposophy the same way we would treat any other racist organization. The fact that they also promote green and environmental issues does not give them a valid excuse. One can be green without the need to be attached to white supremacists, it’s a simple choice.

Kate Humble should know better given her journalistic experience but, as some of the television programmes she has hosted show, her basic attitude towards other cultures can be condescending in the extreme.

Along with other television personalities involved with rural issues, such as Julia Bradbury, the BBC and other broadcasters see no problem in promoting Anthroposophy even when references to Steiner’s original racist texts are sent to them.

On Facebook and other social media, Anthroposophists usually respond to criticism as if Steiner’s writing never existed: they say they are sorry for the complainant’s negativity or they attempt to deny Steiner’s racism or say they are not associated with it. When their (often financial) associations are pointed out they then tend to simply deny that to support, or be associated with, racist doctrines is to be supportive of racism. They also often attempt to belittle, insult, intimidate and undermine the complainant in any way they can and, if all of that does not work, the complainants’ lives can be disrupted at a local level quite easily as most town and parish councils, community groups and green organisations have Steiner supporters in positions of power and influence.

So, please ‘like’ this post and read as much about Steiner’s Racial Hierarchy as you can so that you know what is behind the cute-looking public face of Anthroposophy.

The peril of focusing only on the 'good bits'
Date: March 25, 2014 05:32AM

From Nike Nokorn:

"my particular emphasis concerning these issues is combating rural racism and it is quite clear from the evidence that many non-white people feel extremely uncomfortable working with, mixing with and having to do business with people who belong to cults that are explicitly racist. So even if Anthroposophists produced particularly beautiful artefacts (they don’t in my view), I would (as I do with Christian artefacts, music etc) acknowledge the beauty but put my support, energy, money and sympathies elsewhere.

That is why I do not take as an excuse the claim made by Steiner advocates that Steiner’s racism does not matter/count/is not real as long as Steiner/Transition/Green Party/Soil Association/Triodos et al do good work.

I maintain that the ‘good bits’ (and we can argue over what those are using rationality and evidence) are all able to be done sans Steiner. The BNP once had excellent green policies but does that make them acceptable? No. The same must be said for Anthroposophy, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism and so-on. Until these organisations renounce their old ways of racism, homophobia, sexism, exclusivity and the support of tyranical forms of government, they must be rejected as dangerous to the safety of rational people. And if rationality is to be so downgraded in favour of mysticism then all is lost; because language itself, and thus all discourse and discussion, relies on the rational and logical processes of modelling reality that are inclusive and specific. "

"But the impression I often get here is that, in the minds of many, racism simply isn’t considered a sufficiently important reason to reject Steiner; and for non white people living in predominantly white societies that seems like an unacceptable position. Particularly as Anthroposophy offers nothing that can not be found elsewhere other than the false promise of racial karmic progression."

"Falk, you still don’t see how utterly offensive your attitude is. All his revelations are racist because all the ‘good’ stuff (by your definition, not mine – I think it’s all crap) only holds true for those able to to be spiritually capable according to Steiner’s definitions. Steiner believes that it is the white northern Europeans who are able to do this; becoming white being their karmic reward. None of the ‘good’ stuff applies to those lower down the scale of his racial hierarchy because, if it did, they would not be low down on the scale and would not be non-white. Being non-white is a karmic punishment and being white is a reward. So it matters not that you like some of his ideas; they are all in the service of his racial karmic progression. Anyway, nearly all of his esoteric nonsense was lifted from existing religions.

(Corboy: Mr Nakorn is accurate in this assertion. Steiner was influenced by Goethe's science and theory of colors, and was head of the Theosophy Society's German section, before seceding to form his own interpretation of Theosophy. Steiner was also deeply interested in masonic work and was influenced by the various German 'Volkische' -back to the earth/primal race ideologies of his time. His big disagreement with Theosophy was its emphasis on Asian spirituality; Steiner felt Northern European spirituality should be emphasised.)

(Mr Nakorn continues)So why pick his brand of nonsense over another? If you like re-incarnation, if you like karma, if you like goblins in the roots, if you like dancing with a weird expression on your face, if you like buildings with funny shaped windows then like them independently of Steiner. Invent your own stuff – just reject Steiner outright and be done with it. Not to do so is to support the racism regardless of the fact you say you do not support it; because you refuse to reject wholly an institution that is founded upon it."

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

This is Google's cache of [zooey.wordpress.com]. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Mar 9, 2014 08:11:15 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more
Tip: To quickly find your search term on this page, press Ctrl+F or ?-F (Mac) and use the find bar.

Full versionThese search terms are highlighted: nick nakorn anthroposophy
the ethereal kiosk
ego
etc
writings
galenskap och ansvar
nothing between rejection and acceptance
February 7, 2012 · by alicia hamberg · in annat · 23 Comments
On the Steiner exhibition, now in Weil am Rhein:

Dass das Vitra-Design-Museum in Zusammenarbeit mit dem Kunstmuseum Wolfsburg und dem Kunstmuseum Stuttgart dem einflussreichen Reformer nun als erstes Museum überhaupt eine Retrospektive widmet, verweist dagegen auf lange Zeit verbreitete Berührungsängste gegenüber der vielseitigen Persönlichkeit. Als gäbe es im Umgang mit ihm keine Alternative zwischen Bekenntnis oder Ablehnung. Schuld daran war Steiners Weltbild, das zu Kontroversen und Polarisierungen Anlass gab. Legt man den Fokus wie in der Ausstellung jedoch für einmal auf seine konkreten gesellschaftlichen wie künstlerischen Impulse, dann lässt sich Steiner ebenso problemlos in die Moderne einordnen wie seine Bioprodukte in die Regale eines Supermarkts.

Since Steiner’s worldview, which caused (and causes) controversy and polarisation (among people who care about it at all), is still the same — does that have to colour the perception of, for example, his art and design and anthroposophical art and design? Or the other anthroposophical applications for that matter? Or does it not, after all, have to do that, as the quote suggests? Is the controversy just there if you choose the wrong (or right, depending on taste) focus?

23 Comments
Nick Nakorn · February 7, 2012 - 8:32 pm ·
Alicia, I think you’ve touched upon something of immense importance concerning how we deal with one another as humans socially and politically. In my view it is important to reject as a whole religions and cults that are set up to be exclusive, divisive and dangerous and to support forms of organisation that are fair, democratising, rational and inclusive.

Imagine, dear readers, you, as either an individual, a business or a committee – or a political entity – commission a firm to build a house. You look at all the designs and costs and check that each firm is properly regulated and qualified. You live in an earthquake zone.

Of them all, you choose the one that looks most interesting because all the prices seem similar, all the firms belong to the same professional bodies and all offer quake-proof designs.

Yet, two years after the house has been finished and occupied there is an earthquake, the house collapses and kills all inside. It is the only new house in the area to have collapsed. At the inquest it is discovered that the engineering division of the firm that you’ve hired belongs to an esoteric sect that does not believe in Newtonian physics and instead had the engineering specifications delivered to them by automatic handwriting through a medium.

Now, however much you liked their aesthetic, would you visit them in prison and reward them with further work?

Now if we look at Anthroposophy and the way in which is practiced one might not think there are such extreme cases. But how many non-white people suffer from depression and are unable to find work because so many people still, to this day, refuse to renounce sects and movements that are explicitly racist? How many children (and adults) will die because an immunisation programme was thwarted? How many farm workers will be put out of business because ‘official’ pro-Steiner organisations belittle the value of competitors’ produce because they refuse to believe in gnomes and moon-planting?

As you know, my particular emphasis concerning these issues is combating rural racism and it is quite clear from the evidence that many non-white people feel extremely uncomfortable working with, mixing with and having to do business with people who belong to cults that are explicitly racist. So even if Anthroposophists produced particularly beautiful artefacts (they don’t in my view), I would (as I do with Christian artefacts, music etc) acknowledge the beauty but put my support, energy, money and sympathies elsewhere.

That is why I do not take as an excuse the claim made by Steiner advocates that Steiner’s racism does not matter/count/is not real as long as Steiner/Transition/Green Party/Soil Association/Triodos et al do good work. I maintain that the ‘good bits’ (and we can argue over what those are using rationality and evidence) are all able to be done sans Steiner. The BNP once had excellent green policies but does that make them acceptable? No. The same must be said for Anthroposophy, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism and so-on. Until these organisations renounce their old ways of racism, homophobia, sexism, exclusivity and the support of tyranical forms of government, they must be rejected as dangerous to the safety of rational people. And if rationality is to be so downgraded in favour of mysticism then all is lost; because language itself, and thus all discourse and discussion, relies on the rational and logical processes of modelling reality that are inclusive and specific.

If I say ‘plate’ and you decide that ‘plate’ means ‘antelope’ then serving dinner becomes impossible. Likewise, a more subtle yet no less disruptive problem occurs when ‘evidence’ starts to mean ‘personal opinion as revealed by a mystical force’. Or ‘rational” becomes ‘whatever pseudo-science I can invent as I go along’. In short, the controversy is there because if one does not go along with the prevailing cult/s that control society, one is forced to exist as an outcast from the society to which one might otherwise belong; while all around there is descent into barbarism and unreason.

falk. · February 8, 2012 - 9:55 am ·
This is an interesting point of view. I would like to make just one observation. The 20 Century had a number of examples of regimes which claimed to ‘reject as a whole religions and cults that are set up to be exclusive, divisive and dangerous and to support forms of organisation that are fair, democratising, rational and inclusive.’ but what those regimes did in fact led to a ‘descent into barbarism and unreason.’
I am thinking of Lenin, Stalin and other Marxist inspired dictatorships such a Mao and Pol Pot.
Of course Stalin would never have admitted to ‘unreason’. He would have claimed that wiping out huge numbers of people who got in his way was a perfectly rational thing to do, it was all part of a vast social engineering programme.

Helen · February 8, 2012 - 11:16 am ·
Falk – The regimes you list all became cults and resembled religions in themselves, based around the leaders. I think we can have a democracy where cults are unacceptable and do not wield any power ie they are not allowed to educate children at tax payers expense.
I am afraid where I live the cult of Steiner is starting to prevail, and one begins to feel an outsider if one questions their methods.

Nick Nakorn · February 8, 2012 - 1:04 pm ·
Helen, I entirely agree. Falk, I find your comment quite objectionable.

Firstly, as Helen points out, you are citing crimes comitted by regimes that are themselves cults in a bid to discredit my criticism of the Steiner cult.

Secondly you say that Lenin, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot attempted “to support forms of organisation that are fair, democratising, rational and inclusive.” and then decended into unreason and barbarism. Well, they may have made such claims (I don’t remember any such claim made by all 4 of the tyrants you’ve mentioned but I’m sure you will doubtless find them for me unless you’ve just made that up on the spot) but it was clear they did not adhere to their rhetoric if, indeed, it was what they said. Marx, by the way, was also explicitly racist and had a very poor opinion of black people and Jews – but I’m sure you knew that. (http://www.vho.org/GB/Journals/JHR/5/1/Whisker69-76.html)

Thirdly, are you suggesting that because I wish “to support forms of organisation that are fair, democratising, rational and inclusive.” that I might also become barbaric or unreasonable?

Finally, you have made your observation but you have not dealt with any of the issues; do you think there is a middle way? Should one reject the ‘Art’ of regimes and cults one does not like even if it appeals aesthetically?

You find my comment ‘interesting’ but make it pretty clear you think I’m in very poor company without dealing with the issues – so not interesting to you at all really; your passive/agressive attitude, so typical of cult members (do you support Steiner’s views or not?) is one of the things I’m complaining about. Steiner is clear about his preference for white people and he is clear that he prefers magic to rationality. If you agree, with Steiner then we all know where we stand. If not, why belittle his critics and thereby defend him? Why is it so hard for you to reject a racist?

falk. · February 8, 2012 - 1:53 pm ·
Nick, I have made it clear on this blog before that I reject Steiner’s racist views, but I think there is also truth in his revelations. I find it useful to look at what people say in detail rather than saying, “Oh he held some racist veiws so therefore I cannot be contaminated by any association with him”.
Yes, I knew about Marx’s racist views, (most people by now probably know that even Ghandi held some racist views) I also know Marx probably did not intend his teachings to be interpreted the way they were by various ideologists. His primary motivation in developing his philosophy was compassion for the poor and exploited. Despite those racist views I believe there is something to be learned from Marx.

Nick Nakorn · February 8, 2012 - 2:45 pm ·
Falk, you still don’t see how utterly offensive your attitude is. All his revelations are racist because all the ‘good’ stuff (by your definition, not mine – I think it’s all crap) only holds true for those able to to be spiritually capable according to Steiner’s definitions. Steiner believes that it is the white northern Europeans who are able to do this; becoming white being their karmic reward. None of the ‘good’ stuff applies to those lower down the scale of his racial hierarchy because, if it did, they would not be low down on the scale and would not be non-white. Being non-white is a karmic punishment and being white is a reward. So it matters not that you like some of his ideas; they are all in the service of his racial karmic progression. Anyway, nearly all of his esoteric nonsense was lifted from existing religions. So why pick his brand of nonsense over another? If you like re-incarnation, if you like karma, if you like goblins in the roots, if you like dancing with a weird expression on your face, if you like buildings with funny shaped windows then like them independently of Steiner. Invent your own stuff – just reject Steiner outright and be done with it. Not to do so is to support the racism regardless of the fact you say you do not support it; because you refuse to reject wholly an institution that is founded upon it.

Helen · February 8, 2012 - 3:10 pm ·
This attitude to Steiner’s racism echos theologians who only pick out the ‘good stuff’ from the bible or other holy book. They reject or overlook the references to slavery and women as property, not to mention the encouragement to slay non believers, and they trumpet the examples of good works done by religious groups.

These good works can be and are carried on without religion and would be more frequently in a world without it, and without the suffering caused by religious policies such as refusal to supply contraception.(another controversial element of anthroposophy, I understand)

To cherry pick the bits you like from a philosophy and ignore the basic tenets seems a pointless and potentially harmful exercise.

falk. · February 8, 2012 - 10:06 pm ·
‘All his revelations are racist because all the ‘good’ stuff (by your definition, not mine – I think it’s all crap) only holds true for those able to to be spiritually capable according to Steiner’s definitions. Steiner believes that it is the white northern Europeans who are able to do this; becoming white being their karmic reward. None of the ‘good’ stuff applies to those lower down the scale of his racial hierarchy because, if it did, they would not be low down on the scale and would not be non-white. Being non-white is a karmic punishment and being white is a reward’

I think this is a complete misinterpretation of Steiner’s intentions.

alicia hamberg · February 9, 2012 - 6:16 pm ·
I find myself at loss for something to say, and I don’t know why. I personally can’t reject Steiner outright and I’m not adverse to picking cherries. Of course, I’m not trying to do good in the world; I’m interested in Steiner because he interests me.

That said, I don’t think we should ignore the unacceptable things Steiner taught or his followers have been saying, doing, et c.

conversion « the ethereal kiosk · February 9, 2012 - 7:12 pm ·
[...] wholesale as not to support the anthroposophy. Nick Nakorn makes an argument to that effect in this thread. Because if you buy the products (education, food, et c) you do, in a way, inevitably support the [...]

Nick Nakorn · February 10, 2012 - 6:28 pm ·
Falk, it’s what Steiner said. Using some of Peter Staudenmier’s research as a starting point I spent hours and hours reading through stuff on the Steiner Archive to make sure I had the correct information. A non-racist would never think up such vile ideas in the first place; never.

Alicia, it’s a simple choice – either you decide to show solidarity with those fighting racism or you decide that your own interests are more important. All political action, whether on a blog or by membership of a political movement, is about making public choices – showing which values you support. And one doesn’t have to stop being interested in anything in order to reject it wholly. For instance; Many years ago I used to love riding a motorcycle without a crash helmet and some of my friends were appalled to find that I was in favour of making crash helmets mandatory in the UK – I even wrote letters in support of the introduction of the crash-helmet laws.

One of my friends called me a hypocrite. But democracy is not about each individual clamouring for their own desires to be accommodated, it is about choosing to support what makes rational sense and causes the least harm.

Not rejecting Steiner does immense harm because it makes the whole Anthroposophical/Steiner/Waldorf machine acceptable in the public domain. There is nothing, for example, to stop Falk from dancing in any fashion he likes while, at the same time, being very public about rejecting Steiner if he wished it (dance is not owned by anyone). Likewise, there’s nothing to stop you eating the types of food you enjoy while rejecting Biodynamics (because there’s plenty of other organic methods that produce similar foods).

But the impression I often get here is that, in the minds of many, racism simply isn’t considered a sufficiently important reason to reject Steiner; and for non white people living in predominantly white societies that seems like an unacceptable position. Particularly as Anthroposophy offers nothing that can not be found elsewhere other than the false promise of racial karmic progression.

Helen · February 10, 2012 - 6:33 pm ·
My eyes have been opened even wider about all things Steiner/Waldorf on the blog today – hats, games.
The more I learn, the more improbable it all seems.

Would it be prying to ask which bits of Steiner you don’t reject Alicia? As you know I am still finding out. I have not read all the archive so you could maybe refer me to something you have said before.

My point about ‘good works’ is a comment on what I suppose seems to most people the acceptable face of the movement – the pretty side of Waldorf schools. This seems to me similar to the way for example the Cof E ‘sell’ their convictions to the rest of us. In doing so they divert attention away from the roots of the Church and thus gain more support. They also use up resources which would otherwise be available to non sectaian or non religious groups and therefore better used. Free schools would not be run by Cults, and Aid agencies would be run by people who do not let religious imaginings affect their work. (in my dreams, maybe)

People who send their children to Waldorf schools without knowing or caring about anthroposophy are allowing the Cult in by the back door. I assume it’s ok to call ‘it’ a cult since Geoffry Ahern has no compunction in doing so.

Cooking and commenting again, hope this makes sense.

Helen · February 10, 2012 - 6:37 pm ·
Nick we must have been tapping away simultaneously and you have expressed my thoughts more eloquently.

‘the false promise of racial progression’ « the ethereal kiosk · February 11, 2012 - 1:58 pm ·
[...] I now have your attention! I know I do. Nick wrote (in a comment I’m trying to reply to; well, I actually did, on paper, in the middle of the [...]

alicia hamberg · February 11, 2012 - 8:03 pm ·
Sorry I haven’t said anything yet. I thought I would be able to do it today, but I’m not sure I will; it may have to wait until tomorrow.

alicia hamberg · February 14, 2012 - 9:08 pm ·
I haven’t forgotten. Even if it seems so.

Helen · February 27, 2012 - 11:27 am ·
Nick said
‘… one doesn’t have to stop being interested in anything in order to reject it wholly.’
I couldn’t agree more.
My bookshelves are stacked with books on religion but I reject it completely.
I am sure anthroposophy can have a similar appeal.

alicia hamberg · March 2, 2012 - 10:40 pm ·
absolutely Helen. But what if you want that biodynamic cake too? Is it ok to eat it? And, after all, the anthroposophical books, they come from anthroposophical publishers, which means through buying them, you do support anthroposophy. I don’t have a huge problem with that — I think there should be anthroposophic publishers and anthroposophic books aplenty. As schools are run on the basis of these ideas, these ideas should be available to people. That’s one reason. But not the only one.

By the way, I very much intend to get back to this — I got stuck with my thoughts and my reply, and need to dig it out again to look it over.

Nick Nakorn · March 2, 2012 - 11:09 pm ·
Alicia, I really think you need to get your priorities in order; it’s only cake. There is nothing special about biodynamics – it’s complete woo apart from the bits that are ordinary soil science (and Steiner is not responsible for discovering any of that). If you put cake before major ethical principles I feel there’s no more I can add to this blog. Eventually this is what all converstaions about institutional racism come to; someone teeling me the issue is not worth fighting for – or, in this case, is less important than cake. Well done, here is another place I don’t feel welcome.

alicia hamberg · March 2, 2012 - 11:31 pm ·
At times I feel utterly tired. Beyond tired. Just fucking out of it. This world. To deal with it. I can’t.

All the rest of you, go ahead. It’s yours. I’ll spend my time in lalalla fantasy land because obviously I can’t make your political causes mine and fight them. There are too many. Everybody has a cause. Every cause is terribly important.

I want sleep. I’m tired of fighting this crap. All of it. Anthroposophy. Its critics. All of it. I want my cake, I want my childhood, I want to forget about it all.

alicia hamberg · March 2, 2012 - 11:42 pm ·
Nick, whatever you feel about it now, you are very welcome. I can’t help your feelings about it, so it must be your choice, of course.

And I really must sleep.

racist cake (politics, art, anthroposophy) « the ethereal kiosk · March 3, 2012 - 12:41 pm ·
[...] the following replies to comments have been superceded by more recent comments. I guess maybe what I blurted out was stupid, but I have never intentionally given anyone the impression that I avoid everything [...]

racist cake (politics, art, anthroposophy) « the ethereal kiosk · March 3, 2012 - 12:41 pm ·
[...] Nick suggested that my choice could mean putting my own interests above political solidarity. In a certain sense, it is indeed so — right or wrong, to be able to write about these topics, my interests are more important. In my life and in my personal choices, they are more important. What I read for my enjoyment, is what I read for my enjoyment. I don’t intend to start reading or doing (or eating) boring things because that would be more supportive of some cause or other. My life is not a cause. It’s the life I have at my disposal and I intend to live it as fully as I can. Yes, I am ‘a white person living in [a] predominantly white societ[y ]‘. But I figure other people, who are not white europeans, also live for things like joy, art, love, et c — if they don’t, they should (I say, naïvely, nobody needs to listen). Nobody lives only for ‘good’ causes either. Not everything everyone does in life is dictated by a political choice. If it were, life would be utterly complicated. Not to say utterly tedious. You’d risk ending up in all sorts of extreme places. [...]

? news on the waldorf bomb
reinkarnation och läkepedagogik (artikel i klassekampen) ?
archives
Select Month February 2014 January 2014 December 2013 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 June 2013 May 2013 April 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 December 2012 November 2012 October 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 April 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 December 2010 November 2010 October 2010 September 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 May 2010 April 2010 March 2010 February 2010 January 2010 December 2009 November 2009 October 2009 September 2009 August 2009 July 2009 June 2009 May 2009 April 2009 March 2009 October 2008 January 2008
recent posts
christine och örjan liebendörfer: waldorfpedagogik
beata bergström
utopi och verklighet
ullrich on steiner
traub on steiner
ett substitut för religion
en andra uppföljning om antroposoferna och faciliterad kommunikation
winter solstice
funktionshindrets lockande mystik och oantastlighet — en uppdatering om antroposofer och fc
‘alla med autism kan minnas tidigare liv’ — om faciliterad kommunikation i antroposofisk tillämpning
gränslöst larvigt
föredömligt
Peter Staudenmaier on Robert Rose’s ‘Transforming Criticisms of Anthroposophy and Waldorf Education — Evolution, Race, and the Quest for Global Ethics’
the shipbuilder
om hans möllers bok ‘på väg att bli människa’
nytt om wlh:s anslag
waldorffederationens tydlighet
hundratals kräkningar av avsky
regnbågsbron
pages
ego
etc
writings
galenskap och ansvar
'Perhaps humankind can't bear too much reality, but neither can it bear too much unreality, too much abuse of the truth.' (Saul Bellow)
'448 OMAR KHAYYÁM Omar had a personality; I, for better or worse, have none. In an hour I’ll have strayed from what I am at this moment; tomorrow I’ll have forgotten what I am today. Those who are who they are, like Omar, live in just one world, the external one. Those who aren’t who they are, like me, live not only in the external world but also in a diversified, ever-changing inner world. Try as we might, we could never have the same philosophy as Omar’s. I harbour in me, like unwanted souls, the very philosophies I criticize. Omar could reject them all, for they were all external to him, but I can’t reject them, because they’re me.' (F Pessoa)
'Mrs Glass looked over, abstractedly, at the blue bathmat, across the tiled floor. Zooey stood as still as possible, in order not to break her mood. "You can't live in the world with such strong likes and dislikes," Mrs Glass said to the bathmat, then turned again toward Zooey and gave him a long look, with very little, if any, morality in it. "Regardless of what you may think, young man," she said.' (JD Salinger)
'Art only begins where imitation ends.' (Oscar Wilde)
'"I like zooey's blog," Steiner would say, "It's the only internet site with a foyer. Saul and I often meet there, by the ethereal kiosk. The ice-cream is splendid."' (ThetisMercurio)
'What is the use of telling people repeatedly that the Society is not a sect and then behave as if it were one?' (Steiner)
'Laughter means distance. Where laughter is absent, madness begins. The moment one takes the world with complete seriousness one is potentially insane.' (Jens Bjørneboe)
'If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.' (Oscar Wilde)
'Let's act like sphinxes, however falsely, until we reach the point of no longer knowing who we are. For we are, in fact, false sphinxes, with no idea of what we are in reality. The only way to be in agreement with life is to disagree with ourselves. Absurdity is divine.' (F Pessoa)
my photos on flickr
october 11

october 11

Riche

sunday morning

old town

off-season

väv

More Photos

twitter
My Tweets
wordpress hit counter
the basics
the posts on this blog are written by alicia hamberg, with the guidance of mr dog, the canineosophist, and with inspiration from rudolf steiner, the anthroposophist, and the rest of our friends, people, dogs and strange beings who hang out with us in this remarkable ethereal kiosk

One doenst just wash the dishes -- it is a magical operation
Date: April 25, 2014 08:50AM

A discussant named Tarjei made this remark as part of a discussion of Anthroposphy

One bit revealed reveals how someone can, if thoroughly indoctrinated, be speaking the same words as we do, yet be living in an entirely different mental universe.

(quote)"If you hire an anthroposophist as a dishwasher, the plates and spoons will be infested with energies and vibrations proceeding from the gods, subconsciously influencing the thinking of the diners.
"(unquote)

This is Google's cache of [uncletaz.com]. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Apr 19, 2014 15:47:57 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more
Tip: To quickly find your search term on this page, press Ctrl+F or ?-F (Mac) and use the find bar.

Subject: Re: Biodynamic Gardening
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 18:19:47 +0200
Kathy wrote:
List Members,

"Earlier this week I was asked some questions regarding the appropriateness of Waldorf *method* inclusion in public schools. It goes without saying that I stated that it was inappropriate on all levels, even as the *method* applies to the inclusion of art, rhythmic exercises, etc. All of these techniques are taught by accredited universities in their teacher education departments. Why give money to an unaccredited sect/*college* to teach what can be taught legitimately without the underlying religious tenets?

The Norwegian anarchist magazine Gateavisa, where I am chairman of the board, is receiving annual support from the Cultural Department, and this year the state has been exceptionally generous. So I guess that when public money can be used to support anarchist propaganda against the state in Norway, it can also be used to support progressive and healthy cults like Anthroposophy in America.

Then I was asked,

"but what about gardening." (?)

"Surely I had no quarrel with incorporating the Waldorf style of gardening into public school curriculum. Naturally I have no problem with children gardening and I consider it a valuable learning experience. However, biodynamic gardening is, once again, steeped in Anthroposophical beliefs - or so I assume. Perhaps I am wrong???
Biodynamic farming is off my turf, but it proceeds from the understanding of astral forces in the earth, the sun and moon, and other planets. Certainly enough to make it ingigestible to WE critics. Gullible people tend to join cults and sects after eating biodynamic apples and oranges. It's best to make sure that your fruits and vegetables were grown by atheist farmers and sprayed with plenty of skeptical pesticides.

"Could someone on this list clarify for me exactly what biodynamic gardening is. Are there spiritual beliefs that underly the specific practices that would define biodynamic gardening? What must one do to garden biodynamically?
There are spiritual beliefs underlying everything anthroposophists undertake.

"If you hire an anthroposophist as a dishwasher, the plates and spoons will be infested with energies and vibrations proceeding from the gods, subconsciously influencing the thinking of the diners.

Cheers, Tarjei

Montessori and Waldorf not the same
Date: November 05, 2014 08:18AM

Montessori education is not the same as Waldorf education -- unlike Montessori, Waldorf is tied to a religious belief system -- Rudolf Steiner's own interpretation of modern Theosophy.

Likewise organic farming or permaculture are often mentioned alongside
biodynamic gardening or farming as though similar, but unlike the first
two, biodynamic method is based on Rudolf Steiner's religion.

The author of the article below writes:

"I have to admit that until a few years ago I had thought of Steiner schools as being rather cuddly experiments in progressive education. Perhaps a bit like Montessori schools or A.S. Neill’s Summerhill School."

"..what do you want your school to be? A traditional school with a highly academic curriculum, setting and streaming? Or a school following the Montessori method or Steiner-Waldorf?"

The author continues.

"This seems straightforward; in the case of Montessori it is so. The two school systems are often linked as ‘progressive’ alternatives but differ greatly.

(Quote)

"Steiner Waldorf schools are similarly (to Montessori) called "child-centred" but are in reality underpinned by a fantastical..(belief system) which directs the teachers in the way they work with individual children."

Here are some opinions expressed by thoughtful commenters,
some of whom grew up in the Steiner/Waldorf system

http://www.dcscience.net/?p=3528

The true nature of Steiner (Waldorf) education. Mystical barmpottery at taxpayers’ expense. Part 1

October 6th, 2010 · 105 Comments

The part 2 is The Steiner Waldorf cult uses bait and switch to get state funding. Part 2.

The part 3 is Steiner Waldorf Schools Part 3. The problem of racism.

I have to admit that until a few years ago I had thought of Steiner schools as being rather cuddly experiments in progressive education. Perhaps a bit like Montessori schools or A.S. Neill’s Summerhill School.

But then I discovered that they advocate "biodynamic farming". That includes utterly barmy doctrines about how the phase of the moon affects crops and such like astrological baloney (as well as some possibly sensible stuff about compost). Then I had a series of mails from a correspondent that made me realise that Steiner schools have some much more unpleasant ideas than a bit of astrological baloney, including the dangerous ideas about anthroposophical medicine.

Faceless dolls used in Steiner schools. Waldorfwatch comments "In part, the goal is to stimulate children’s imaginations, which Anthroposophists believe contribute to clairvoyance. The deeper reason is the Anthroposophical belief that young children are incompletely incarnated in the physical world — they still live partially in the spiritual world, where nothing has sharply defined limits, edges, or details.". " many children find faceless dolls creepy and unsatisfactory". . ." Sometimes, indeed, the dolls come with pointed “elf” hats sewn on, suggesting that these are not human dolls by gnome dolls. Steiner taught that gnomes are real",

The matter has acquired new urgency now that Steiner schools are seeking government support via the Tory’s "free schools" programme. It is important that both ministers and parents should know what goes on in these schools.

I’ve wanted to write about it for a while, but was deterred by the sheer amount of information. My only contribution so far was to add Rudolf Steiner to my Patients’ Guide.

"Anthroposophical medicine: followers of the mystic barmpot, Rudolf Steiner, for whom nothing whatsoever seems to strain credulity"

Luckily I became acquainted with two of the most knowledgeable people on the topic. They are known on Twitter as @thetismercurio and @lovelyhorse_. After meeting them it occurred to me that I should ask them to write a guest post or two. Here is part one.

The true nature of Steiner Waldorf education

In a document produced this September by the New Schools Network, the (avowedly) politically neutral organisation set up to assist groups interested in Education Minister Michael Gove’s much vaunted and highly criticised Free Schools revolution, there is a question:

"..what do you want your school to be? A traditional school with a highly academic curriculum, setting and streaming? Or a school following the Montessori method or Steiner-Waldorf?"

This seems straightforward; in the case of Montessori it is so. The two school systems are often linked as ‘progressive’ alternatives but differ greatly. Montessori is a popular, predominantly early years education method, represented amongst the first wave of 16 Free Schools by the Discovery Free School, Crawley. Described as education adapted for each individual child, in the UK Montessori places itself within the remit of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) guidelines.

Steiner Waldorf schools are similarly called "child-centred" but are in reality underpinned by a fantastical edifice of nonsense which directs the teachers in the way they work with individual children. The schools have a distinct pedagogy in the context of which government guidelines are anathema; thus exemptions to the EYFS have been sought for the kindergartens at all Steiner settings. The Open Eye Campaign, championed by Steiner teacher Dr Richard House of Roehampton
University, stated in 2007 that they feared the EYFS was potentially harmful and ‘a breach of the human right of parents to have their children educated in accordance with their own philosophies’.

Few early years teachers reject the importance of play or would welcome an overly prescriptive regime, many support the review of the EYFS currently being undertaken by Dame Clare Tickell. But they may be surprised at the rhetoric of Richard House and Graham Kennish, Steiner teacher trainer and science advisor:

"Monoculture of children’s minds. Strip mining of children’s imaginative forces for short-term aims. The deep ploughing which destroys the soil and crushes individuality with heavy machinery. The application of fertiliser which turns childhood aspirations to dust which then blows away, leaving the barrenness of violence in adolescence. …. Education as the cultivation of inner resources for which an inner ecology is needed."

Anthroposophy

To make sense of this histrionic language, parents and policy makers must understand the philosophy that informs all Steiner Waldorf schools (Waldorf in the US and Europe): Anthroposophy. Wikipedia will not help here (it has been ‘cleansed’), parents who ask are told the literal meaning: ‘wisdom of man’. Anthroposophy’s inventor, Austrian Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925) is presented by his proponents as a profound philosopher, a polymath; an expert in agriculture and architecture, medicine, social care, art and education. Triodos Bank, Camphill Communities, biodynamic agriculture (including wine) and the newly labelled ‘Social Pedagogy’ are all expressions of Steiner’s anthroposophical ideas. The first ‘Steiner’ school, named Waldorf after its cigarette factory patron, was opened in Stuttgart in 1919. With typical bravado the Movement has for some time proclaimed Waldorf ‘the fastest growing school system in the world’.

Comments:

Nick Nakorn // Oct 9, 2010 at 03:59

Dear David,

Many thanks for posting this excellent piece. It is clear, if one reads the Steiner archives, that the Steiner-Waldorf-Anthroposophical vision is not rooted in rational thought. Though claiming to represent a system of understanding equal to the rigours of science, Anthroposophy is in fact a dangerous religious cult.

Hiding behind a New-age façade, Anthroposophical organisations have attracted a substantial following by using their commercial income and bogus ‘green’ credentials to expand their operations into an enormous number of organisations and businesses. As someone who supports strong state secularism, I fully respect the right for such religious organisations to exist but I also expect such organisations to be honest and transparent about their beliefs, their intensions, their modes of operation and their personnel, whether paid or voluntary.

The reason that transparency is important is that a great many community groups and organisations have a real impact on the lives of those living within their sphere of influence. Like most religions, Anthroposophy has a set of irrational beliefs and not all advocates believe in a literal interpretation of the texts. But unlike most religions, those aspects of Anthroposophical texts that advocate nonsensical, illegal or unethical modes of relating to the community are mostly hidden from view and, as far as the Anthroposophical command structure is concerned, not up for discussion in the public arena.

One of the consequences of that policy, of Anthroposophy hiding its true purpose from all but their specially chosen initiates, is that many people join and contribute to seemingly benign organisations that are in fact intent on subverting the efforts of the contributors to the expansion of the Anthroposophical world view; a world view that is steeped in racism and eugenics.

Readers interested in how covert Anthroposophical organisations operate at the local level might well be interested in my experiences with a small environmental organisation here in Devon called Buck the Trend and the extent to which the Steiner machine has infiltrated the Green Party and the Transition Town Movement. As someone who has been a campaigner for environmental and social justice causes for over 30 years, it is sad indeed to see that rationalism and sound science are no longer welcome currencies within the environmental movement unless sanctioned by the racist mystical madness of Anthroposophy.

Best wishes,

Nick
[nicknakorn.wordpress.com]

9 Graham // Oct 9, 2010 at 10:44

This is a brilliant post, ThetisMercurio and LovelyHorse are doing crucial work in exposing the cult of Steiner for what it is.
What is extraordinary about Anthroposophy is just how completely barmy it really is, and yet seems to be growing in strength and influence. It makes me think of the old adage that the bigger the lie, the less likely it is to be questioned. Most people see a more child-focused school system and are easily taken in by how fluffy and nice it seems, superficially. It is just so hard for people to believe that behind it is such completely loopy ideologies and beliefs, the more dangerous because they are hidden.

Steiner is also responsible for a ritualistic system in agriculture called \Biodynamics\ involving planting by the moon and making special \preparations\ out of parts of dead animals and plants. It is essentially a system of ritual magic and animal sacrifice that has more in common with voodoo and the tribal primitivism still practiced in West Africa (see Tim Butcher’s \Chasing the Devil\). It is easy to dismiss all this as just silly, but Biodynmics is becoming very popular amongst vintners, and is far more influential amongst the wider organics movement than commonly supposed.

Steinerism is also part of a general anti-science trend within the wider environmental movement, with its focus on \intuition\ over reason and evidence, a very dangerous trend that is influencing policy in other areas as well.
Thanks for taking up this issue DC.

10 andrew // Oct 9, 2010 at 13:54

“We cannot agree that the satisfaction of lobbying groups or parent choice is enough to justify the public funding of Steiner Waldorf schools.”

I agree completely & note that the the Steiner Academy in Hereford achieved almost the worse academic results in the country.

Here’s what Wiki has to say [en.wikipedia.org]

and [skepdic.com]

I agree modern children may be a bit too stressed by apparently endless testing, but this is barmpot stuff.

11 David Colquhoun // Oct 9, 2010 at 18:45

@Nick Nakorn
You make a very interesting point about secrecy. The Guide to the Early Years Foundation Stage in Steiner Waldorf Early Childhood Settings airbrushes out all the barmy nonsense. Nothing there about reincarnation, temperaments, biodynamics or anthroposophy. It is, quite simply, a dishonest representation of what happens, designed. one presumes to deceive gullible government ministers.

12 zooey // Oct 9, 2010 at 21:41

Finally having learnt how to login, I’d like to applaud @thetismercurio and @lovelyhorse_ here as well. (I posted one comment on the post and one comment on MarkH’s comment on my own blog earlier, linked to above.) Where I live, in Sweden, waldorf schools have been state-funded for more than two decades. In Sweden, waldorf schools are lobbying not to have to teach children to read and write by 3d grade, when they’re 9 years of age! The stakes are moved. The goal is to postpone reading and writing for as long as possible, it seems.

Of course, not telling people about reincarnation and karma and other not so nice aspects is a huge part of the idea — it’s not the souls of parents or politicians that the steiner movement is trying to help incarnate better. Parents are irrelevant, politicians even more so.

Having spent 9 years of my childhood in the steiner system, I can tell you that, according to my opinion, it’s neither child-focused nor nice. I’m sure there are people who enjoy waldorf school, but when it goes wrong, it’s so wrong. Anthroposophical beliefs get in the way of running a school efficiently and dealing with issues that arise in a successful manner. Nothing in a waldorf school is carried out without an anthroposophical reason underlying it. It’s what it is about — applying anthroposophy to children, to their development and education, to their lives.

13 SusanG // Oct 10, 2010 at 14:25

Zooey wrote: ‘In Sweden, waldorf schools are lobbying not to have to teach children to read and write by 3d grade, when they’re 9 years of age!’

That would tie in with what Steiner himself had to say about reading.

In his book, ‘The Kingdom of Childhood’, Steiner wrote:

‘’People will object that the children then learn to read and write too late. That is said only because it is not known today how harmful it is when the children learn to read and write too soon. It is a very bad thing to be able to write early. Reading and writing as we have them today are really not suited to the human being till a later age – the eleventh or twelfth year – and the more a child is blessed with not being able to read and write well before this age, the better it is for the later years of life. A child who cannot write properly at thirteen or fourteen (I can speak out of my own experience because I could not do it at that age) is not so hindered for later spiritual development as one who early, at seven or eight years can already read and write.'

and

zooey // Nov 4, 2010 at 20:34

‘At any rate, 6 is early for many Steiner children to learn literacy skills. This step is after all dependant for many trained Steiner teachers on the arbitrary (occult) benchmark of the ‘change of teeth’.’

And when steiner schools ask for exemptions, it’s important to know that the goal posts are moving. In Sweden, where the waldorf schools have become accustomed to special privileges, they were hoping to get exemptions from having to show that their 3d graders (i e, 9 year olds) have learnt to read and write. A common argument is, in waldorf schools, children learn at a different pace. Sometimes they claim their 3d graders can read and write, but that it would be disruptive to prove they can. Excuses, excuses and excuses.

The bottom line is, waldorf students are far behind. Luckily, most of them come from relatively privileged homes and/or have parents who can afford private tuition.

As for questions on the temperaments, I can but agree with Thetis. Of course they don’t have to talk about the temperaments — especially not in front of students and parents — in order to apply the doctrine. They are taught how to use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 08:29AM by corboy.

From a blog Why Waldorf Lies
Date: January 15, 2015 01:04AM

[thewaldorfreview.blogspot.com]

Excerpt

uesday, August 5, 2014
Why Waldorf Lies - The Short Answer
Author's Note: This is part of a larger work I am preparing... Stay tuned

Why Waldorf LIES
Here's the one line answer: “They're on a MISSION to save humanity”.

"The task of Anthroposophy is not simply to replace a false view of the world with a correct one...The task is to raise the spirit-soul into the realm of the spiritual, so that the human being is no longer a thinking and feeling automaton...The human being is...in danger of drifting into the Ahrimanic world, in which case the spirit-soul will evaporate into the cosmos.” Rudolf Steiner

Waldorf schools are the missionary arm of Anthroposophy, Rudolf Steiner's quasi-religious doctrine outlining an “impulse” for the development of society. Waldorf representatives are “missionaries”. Their mission is to spread the ideas of Rudolf Steiner and to convert as many people as they can to the new wisdom that will transform society, Anthroposophy. Rudolf Steiner paints a very dark picture of a world without Anthroposophy guiding human spiritual development.

As luck would have it, Waldorf teachers already have a personal spiritual connection to your child – according to Steiner. If you found Waldorf education, it was the child's karma that influenced you to find it. Once you have enrolled in a Waldorf school, your child becomes their child. They are doing what is best for the child, even over your objections if necessary. In a conflict, Waldorf representatives believe they are doing something that represents the greater good by lying to parents about their children. It's truthfully that simple.
In order to fulfill their missionary responsibility, in order to promote Anthroposophy to children, Waldorf representatives LIE to parents – for the sake of the child!

There is no getting around this – people representing Waldorf schools are universally dishonest with outsiders – and yes, that especially includes parents. This is a systemic problem traced to Steiner himself. Waldorf's founder direcly instructed Waldorf teachers to lie to outsiders.

"We have to remember that an institution like the Independent Waldorf School with its anthroposophical character, has goals that, of course, coincide with anthroposophical desires. At the moment, though, if that connection were made official, people would break the Waldorf School’s neck." Rudolf Steiner, Faculty Meetings with Rudolf Steiner (Anthroposophic Press, 1998) p. 115
- Faculty Meetings is required reading in Waldorf teacher training

"Inner Christmas" "Holy Nights" Lyre players
Date: January 31, 2015 11:59PM

Corboy note:

Any non Anthroposophist who donates time, as Waldorf
parent, to stage such an event, or a non Anthro
who attends should be told that from an Anthro
perspective, this event brings in good karmic
influences, even to non believers, and gives
bonus points for a better reincarnation so that
you eventually get reborn as a believing Anthroposophist.

If you're not troubled by this, fine.

If you dislike the thought that others know better
than you do what your best destiny is, you can
decide whether to attend.

If you are non Anthro Waldorf parent, know nothing of
the esoteric religious system of Anthro, and donate
your volunteer time to stage such events, the
believing Anthros may be huffy because you
are not getting things right.

Which is impossible to do, if you are kept unaware
of the actual belief system behind this pageant.

Quoted from a flier for a "Holy Nights" event

"A showing of 15 paintings and sculptures
by Raphael, Michelangelo, and Donatello,
with music by X group, singers and Lyre
ensemble.

(Corboy note: Rudolf Steiner recommended'
the lyre. Shows up in Waldorf education.

[www.google.com])

Poetry from the Sacred Songs of Novalis, a 19th century German
Romantic poet, celebrating Mary.

"Originally this serous of pictures was
put together by Dr.Eherenfried Pfeiffer and
Rudolf Steiner in 1911 in Munich. They
have been shown in communities all
over the world."

"The music is by X and Z
and , both involved in the Camphill
Movement, for work with special needs
Children and adults."

(Names omitted for privacy

Christians who are not Anthroposophists could attend
this event not knowing that it actually relates
to Rudolf Steiner's idiosyncratic interpretation of
Christmas -- what he termed "Inner Christmas"

A new birth of self.

In canonical Christianity, Christmas is not about a 'new birth of
self' but carries a message that God works through
the human body, works through matter, and chose to
break through into history by being born, both human
and divine as a helpless baby, born into a poor,
ordinary human family.

Gnosticism, whatever its form, sees matter and divinity as
opposed. Gnostics such as Steiner teach that God saves us,
not through matter, not through the human condition by giving us
insight that our souls are trapped in matter, and via Secret Knowledge that awakens us to our predicament as beings trapped in matter and
giving us a programme by which through stages, we arise
from bad karma, from matter and return to the Divine.

Google search for Rudolf Steiner and inner Christmas

[www.google.com]

Anthroposophical Society in America: Festivals

www.anthroposophy.org/festivals/

Dec 27, 2014 - Holy Nights 2014-2015. This is a .... "Experience the calm and light of Inner Christmas during the creative grace of the Twelve Holy Nights.

Ironically, the artists, Dontello, Raphael and Michaelangelo
who created the woks of art utilized in this Steinerian Holy
Night event, produced those artworks under the influence of
non-Gnostic Catholicism, which, in the Renaissance,
taught that the musician, architect, painter, and sculptor
had the dignity of working within matter, workingwith matter
to image divinity public works of art
available to from wall walks and ranks of
life -- not just for a small, gnostic elite.

If lyre players are part of some event, look for
other clues that suggest it is a Steinerian/Anthro event.

-- strange, curvy lettering, pastel colors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 12:04AM by corboy.

"initiatives" christian community dornach steiner
Date: February 01, 2015 12:23AM

Quoted in part from

Anthroposophy

By Dan Dugan

http://www.waldorfcritics.org/articles/Anthroposophy.html

Anthroposophy Today. Working in the world doesn’t secularize Anthroposophy; rather Anthroposophy attempts to spiritualize the world.

These worldly activities are usually referred to in Anthroposophical jargon as “initiatives,” based on Steiner’s “impulses.” They are claimed as Anthroposophical activities when it is desired to glorify Anthroposophy, but denied and called independent free associations when scandals arise or outsiders question their connection to problematic Anthroposophical doctrines.

Each activity will, of course, have its own local non-profit corporation, but they are all carried out under Anthroposophical direction, ultimately taking guidance from departments in the Dornach headquarters (near Basel, Switzerland).

Waldorf Education. Waldorf schools, also called Steiner Schools and Free Schools, are named after the original school that Steiner founded in Stuttgart, Germany. The school was for the children of the workers at the Waldorf-Astoria cigarette factory, thus the name. The movement calls itself the largest nonsectarian school system in the world, but pervasive Anthroposophical doctrine vitiates the claim of being nonsectarian. Waldorf education is guided by Steiner’s theory of child development, based on reincarnation. In this scheme, the physical body is born at birth, the “etheric body” at age seven, the “astral body” at age fourteen, and the “I,” the immortal member, at age twenty-one. Teachers classify students according to the ancient “four temperaments.” Teachers are trained in a two- or three-year Anthroposophical seminary program in which the first year, called the “foundation year,” consists entirely of the study of Anthroposophy.

Anthroposophical pseudoscience is easy to find in Waldorf schools. “Goethean science” is supposed to be based only on observation, without “dogmatic” theory. Because observations make no sense without a relationship to some hypothesis, students are subtly nudged in the direction of Steiner’s explanations of the world. Typical departures from accepted science include the claim that Goethe refuted Newton’s theory of color, Steiner’s unique “threefold” systems in physiology, and the oft-repeated doctrine that “the heart is not a pump” (blood is said to move itself).

Anthroposophical Medicine. Medicine is one of the more visible activities of Anthroposophy in Europe. Physicians are required to have medical degrees before training in Anthroposophical medicine, but that training denies and contradicts evidence-based medicine. Steiner’s medicine uses homeopathic remedies, but abjures the homeopathic method of testing a proposed therapeutic substance by observing the effects of the undiluted substance on a volunteer. This was too scientific for Steiner, who preferred to rely on the traditional herbalistic method of recognizing the application of a remedy from its appearance. For example, his remedy for cancer is mistletoe, because mistletoe grows radially rather than toward the sun as other plants do, and cancer grows radially. The Anthroposophical cancer remedy Iscador, prepared in a magical process from mistletoe, is in common use in Europe despite a lack of sufficient evidence for efficacy.

Camphill. Camphill communities are Anthroposophically-inspired residential programs for developmentally-disabled children and adults. Completely contained enclaves, they are worthy of study as models of life in an Anthroposophical world. Since only cooperative inmates are retained, the atmosphere is artificially idyllic, and an ostensible “village” structure conceals strict authoritarianism.

ANTHROPOSOPHY. An international religious sect following the teachings of Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925). Also called Spiritual Science. Activities include Waldorf Education, Anthroposophical medicine, pharmaceuticals, Camphill communities for the developmentally disabled, biodynamic agriculture, Eurythmy (a spiritual dance), art schools, psychotherapy, elder care, the Christian Community (a formal church), financial institutions, publishing, and politics (Steiner’s “Threefold Social Order”). The world headquarters of the Anthroposophical Society is the Goetheanum in Dornach, Switzerland.

[www.google.com]

World-View. Anthroposophy synthesizes a wide range of spiritual traditions, claiming to reveal comprehensive truths that are only present in fragments in other religions. At its foundation are the concepts of REINCARNATION, karma, and polytheism, which derive from Buddhism and Hinduism. Steiner was something of a fundamentalist Platonist, holding that the real world was all illusion, and objects but reflections of eternal essences in the spiritual world. He also espoused Plato's political philosophy and may well have imagined himself as a philosopher-king. He took the dual gods of light and dark from the ancient Persian religion Zoroastrianism, identifying the light god as Lucifer, and created his own trinity of Lucifer, Ahriman (the dark god), and a Gnostic and Manichean conception of Christ, usually referred to as “The Christ Spirit.” Steiner, who claimed to be able to see the past and future written in the “akashic record,” wrote The Fifth Gospel to explain what really happened in the life of Christ.

To this rich mix Steiner added European occult traditions: Cabbalism, numerology, white magic, alchemy, Rosicrucianism and Masonry, and spiced it with vegetarianism, astrology, herbalism, and homeopathy. Steiner claimed to make "exact scientific observations" in the spiritual world, so it is impossible to question the veracity of his authoritative pronouncements without questioning the foundations of Anthroposophy.

About 469,000 results (0.60 seconds)

Search Results

Founding | The Christian Community

www.thechristiancommunity.org/about/founding/

There, with the help of Rudolf Steiner, the inaugurator of modern spiritual science or ... The founding group of priests shortly before heading to Dornach, ...

Anthroposophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthroposophy

Wikipedia

The First Goetheanum, designed by Steiner in 1920, Dornach, Switzerland. ..... for Religious Renewal, now generally known as The Christian Community, was ...

Rudolf Steiner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Steiner

Wikipedia

For other people named Rudolf Steiner, see Rudolf Steiner (disambiguation). ... Divergence from conventional Christian thought; 3.4.3 The Christian Community .... At a "Foundation Meeting" for members held at the Dornach center during ...

Paths of the Christian Mysteries: From Compostela to the ...

[books.google.com]

Virginia Sease, ?Manfred Schmidt-Brabant - 2003 - ?Body, Mind & Spirit
346 Book of Revelation (Rudolf Steiner Press, 1998), conversations and question-and-answer sessions with the priests of the Christian Community, Dornach, ...

Anthroposophy: Rudolph Steiner's 'Spiritual Science'

www.waldorfcritics.org/articles/Anthroposophy_AU.html

Steiner's movement grew out of the spiritualist craze that swept Europe and the ... "knowledge about man") Society, headquartered in Dornach, Switzerland. ... Although the Anthroposophical Society and the Christian Community are now ...

Crisis in the Anthroposophical Society: And Pathways to ...

[books.google.com]

Sergei O. Prokofieff, ?Peter Selg - 2013 - ?Body, Mind & Spirit
... Steiner in February 1924 about the future relationship of the Christian Community to the General Anthroposophical Society and its newly founded Dornach ...

Rudolf Steiner and the Founding of the New Mysteries

[books.google.com]

Sergei O. Prokofieff - 1994 - ?Biography & Autobiography
123 Rudolf Steiner speaks of how the impulse for the realization of the ... laid for the founding of the Christian Community in Dornach in September 1922.

Rudolf Steiner - Center for Anthroposophy

www.centerforanthroposophy.org › About

A Sketch of His Life and Work by: John Davy Rudolf Steiner was born in ... now part of the former Yugoslavia) in 1861, and died in Dornach, Switzerland in 1925. .... there developed the Christian Community, a movement for religious renewal.

Esoteric Christian Gnosticism: Anthroposophy, Rudolf ...

zaidpub.com/.../esoteric-christian-gnosticism-anthroposophy-rudolf-stein...

Jan 4, 2015 - Dr. Rudolf Steiner died at Dornach, Switzerland, 30 March, 1925, ...... of knowledge and brings knowledge; the Christian Community Church ...

Steiner, Rudolf - The Mystica

www.themystica.org/mystica/articles/s/steiner_rudolf.html

Commonly Anthroposophy is said to be based on what Steiner called .... for the church called the Christian Community, or the Movement for Religious Renewal. ... and established the Goetheanum, a school for esoteric research, at Dornach, ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 12:23AM by corboy.

Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.