Current Page: 35 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: September 02, 2009 04:01PM

I really urge people to write about their experiences but I ´m sure there´s lots who are afraid to do so. I know, I was told too that if I ever decide to talk against DW I would have lots of bad karma and unpredictable obstacles in my life. If thats not manipulation and using fear as a motive to keep people quiet I dont know what is. Textbook cult behaviour.

What strikes me the most is the omnipotent position that mr. Nydahls has aquired for himself. He can pretty much do or say anything and most members think he is allways right because he´s an "enlightened" man. They think that because he is enlightened he can see further than us in all matters of life. Therefore our crical or disturbing (as they like to put it) thoughts are just a reflexion of our pride and ego etc... and have no basis.

This is frickin scary!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: September 02, 2009 10:51PM

~*~ k a t e ~*~
A new experience posted on the Diamond Way Truths site:

When I went to a Diamond Way centre for the first time I was received very warmly and surrounded with hugs and kisses. Everyone was very interested in who I was, what I was doing and what were my opinions. Then the more I stayed in the center I started to notice that what I thought was in fact pretty irrelevant. Its what the Lama says that matters.

When you spend a little more time you notice that critical thinking is the last thing that is tolerated especially if it questions even a little their beliefs.

Also, they seem to elevate themselves completely above the rest of the religions.

I saw a lot of anger based behavior but it was always seen as active compassion. Critical thinking was seen as “ego-problems” or pride and practitioners were always feeling really guilty after having these very sane reactions in an unhealthy environment. Then they went reciting mantras hoping these feelings would go away.

. It is a well known fact that a cult or a sect needs to have an opposite polarity or “enemy” in order to be successful. Its not hard to see where all the anger is channeled what the members are trying so hard to suppress.

I have found all of these statements to be so true of the Soka Gakkai, a Japanese Mahayana Buddhist group that I used to be a member of. Love-bombing, when you first start going to meetings. Then, later, if you criticize or disagree with the leader, a wealthy Japanese man named Daisaku Ikeda, you are told that it's your ego, or arrogance.

Members are also told that they're creating bad karma if they disagree with or criticize anything in the Soka Gakkai -- and if you leave, terrible things will happen to you. We were told that the Soka Gakkai was the ONLY correct school of Buddhism!

Soka Gakkai leaders always push chanting "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" as the solution to EVERYTHING -- from cancer to disillusionment with the Soka Gakkai. They have also done the "create an enemy" ploy -- in the early 1990's, the Soka Gakkai, a lay organization of Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism, split with the priests of Nichiren Shoshu. Soka Gakkai leaders demonized the High Priest and his supporters -- creating enemies that Soka Gakkai members could direct their anger to.

It's just amazing to me how these groups are all doing the same things -- no matter what the content of their teaching is -- Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or secular. It's like these leaders are all reading from the same playbook. Reading threads like yours, about other groups, really helped me to see how manipulative the Soka Gakkai was. When I saw the tricks that other groups were using on their members -- then the light went on. I could see what the Soka Gakkai was actually doing, and it became easier to leave.

Date: September 19, 2009 07:11PM

I agree that it is a cult. I have been there the problem is not with ole the problem is with the people specially within London sangha.

People are scared for the reason to say they open ideas or opinion as some (5 people) are thimking they are little Gods.

It is not about buddhism anymore it is about power. Unfortunately Ole is getting older to understand this but if you are going to the sangha you will pick this up staright away. It should not happen and yes people are following him like God.

This shows that we are still Catholics and that we are not able to adjust to the eastern philosopy. People are meditating the way how people are praying in the church.

People do not like to deal with heavy situations they are happy to kick them out.

And the new Centre in Duffy Hall? For what to certain people will benefit from that to live there but who will go there?

People who has no opinion and capable to say to yes always to the main people. So are you ready for this?

If not please do not try Diamond Way buddhism

Date: September 21, 2009 03:05PM

Recieved this rather amusing e-mail today from an Ole Nydahl follower:

that is very disgusting what kind of arguments you are using. You are probably some woman who failed desperatelly to love with Ole. I think that Lama Ole is a GREAT teacher. He has not personal life. I saw him in Dublin last week and he had no chance even eat his meal. He had two pints and running to bed, next day London next Paris etc. That man works 24/7. He may earn money. Also he has free yogi style so he can have as many girlfriends as he wants.

Posted by: milarepa ()
Date: September 23, 2009 04:04AM

Hey,

I agree the guy is working 24/7. Only just my question is for whom benefit?

For your benefit or for all beings benefit or for himself?

Can you answer to this?

I do not want to judge anyone but i remember i was i little bit blindfolded towards him. Till i learnt more about it. So please do not be angry just accept that other people have capability to be open .

Posted by: suenam ()
Date: September 24, 2009 06:31AM

i agree with the quote from Kate (from my personal experience) that there are a few power-mad leaders in the London sangha. dafydd moriss, steve james, and maya mueller stuck out to me, i'm wondering who the other two are though.

...but i think that ole is also a problem, even from a quote from a follower tells us that he doesn't have time to eat but still manages to find time for a couple of pints,

...and that he is a workaholic.

in fact, he works 24/7, but still finds the time to have a couple of pints and rush to bed, maybe for some sleep, but definately for all the girlfriends they mention. does he see the drinking and womanizing as part of his work too then?

I haven't heard of any other Lama who sets themselves this sort of gruelling schedule, instead they are more relaxed and have faith that those who want to become Buddhists will find their own way. ole by contrast is like some sort of campaigning politician on a mission, and if his selflessness is taken at face value, this begs the question, does he believe that he will rescue the world? - this is what is known as a messiah complex.

such delusions of grandeur are dangerous in that, unlike megalomania or narcissism, the sufferer has no insight into just how far removed from reality they have become, and so represent the ultimate form of psychosis.

Posted by: Humerus ()
Date: September 25, 2009 08:25PM

I totally agree with you Suenam. I also think that the benefits that mr. Nydahl is promoting via diamond way buddhism are not very sain and dont contribute to a balanced developement of an individuals personality. Such statements as " My students will eventually become fearless and joyfull" should actually be alarming. A person who is totally fearless and joyfull is in fact not so far from being psychotic. This can be checked up in any book that deals with basic symptoms of psyhotic behaviour. And anyone who is familiar with theories that deal with the developement of ones personality can see that the way diamond way buddhism approaches the "developement" or "reconstruction" of mind is not at all constructive. Again, one can find in any book that deals with cults that these techniques that are used by diamond way buddhism are basic techniques of brainwashing. Anxiety and fear are said to be purifying experiences or resistance of ego etc... Ones own values are replaced with the groups values. Images of a threat or an enemy are provoked in participants (islam f.ex.) normal limits of intimacy are seen as reflection of pride and ego and so on...

This means that all sain reactions of the mind should be ignored. When reading "how things are" mr. Nydahl clearly encourages people to do this in their practice. I just think it can really put ones normal personal development so much back that its completely irresponsible that Nydahl is doing it through diamond way.

Posted by: Outsider ()
Date: September 26, 2009 02:39AM

Quote:

"such delusions of grandeur are dangerous in that, unlike megalomania or narcissism, the sufferer has no insight into just how far removed from reality they have become, and so represent the ultimate form of psychosis."

I am living with a DW member who has over the past 18 months become so far removed from reality that they cannot even register the sometimes painful truths that I have to present when daily family life is being controlled by DW ethics, discourse and demands that the disciple is true to the cause and nothing else. There is no reasoning with this person (classic cult behaviour) or the local group. In one mail the local center 'guardian' basically demands that all members ensure they pay their monthly membership fees otherwise they cannot make the rent on the 'center'. In the next breath center members are off looking for bigger premisis to rent at a rental premium 3 times that of their present location. On top of this there is the fund raising for a national retreat center which is as misguided and far fetched as that of the new London center plans that should a property be purchased then the group will be saddled with a huge property loan to maintain with funds only coming from within the group.

DW is spinning out of control, it has nothing to do with Buddhism, we all know that the Diamond Way or Diamond Vehicle has long been considered as a self indulgent Tantric based form of Buddhism, the perfect vehicle for Ole to satisfy his desires.

Date: September 27, 2009 08:54PM

From The Diamond Way cult website:

Ole Nydahl & Diamond Way accused of sexual abuse in Switzerland
Here is a newspaper article from Switzerland recently brought to my attention:

Lama Ole Nydahl missionaries are accused of abuse, sexual questionable and racism. The Diamond Way Buddhist church, which operates five centers in Switzerland, led by their leader, Lama Ole Nydahl, is a real cult. Now former members and leaders complain of the racism and abuse of power due to questionable relationships with students.
"I've seen the group as elitist, racist and sexist", says the 32-year-old communications consultant Marianne Huber (all names have been changed by the editor).
She was there two years. At first she was fascinated. "Lama Ole's charm is that he his followers full enjoyment of life, sex, success and enlightenment promises" says the cult expert and professor of theology at Zurich Georg Schmid. The ex-boxer Lama Ole likes driving fast motorbikes and sex. In the seventies, for drug deals he went to prison.

In Schawinski he boasted of having had sex with more than 500 women.

But the glory of Ole Nydahl quickly rubbed off for Marianne Huber. His handling of sex and women was intolerable to her: she has noticed in a summer training camp as Nydahl in addition to its two official women who take turns at the side of the Lama. In six months, he had sex with many of his female students. "These women should still be happy because they were in contact with him", Nydahl told her when she criticized him.

The same has also seen by ex-follower Anne Dietrich. "These young women were allowed to accompany him on his travels and sit at his feet when he lectured." Nydahl told her this would help their development. Dietrich accuses him of abuse of power, because such relations are problematic among equals, but inexcusable in a teacher-pupil ratio.

He is on the Internet photos showing him almost always surrounded by women - or in tight swimming trunks and brown burnt bodies. Nydahl escapades also criticized the German Buddhist Union (DBU). "Many dislike its dealings with women as simply scandalous."

Finally, Anne had enough after Nydahl claimed Africa's poverty was it's own fault and that sperm banks should be set up for white men to 'spread themselves'.
Baffled by those comments during Nydahl's tirade, she wrote to him about her discomfort. His answer: "We can now avoid that we have in a few years even larger ghettos of foreigners, which is undermining our society, which is a big win."

"He is almost following a Nazi ideology. Rhetorical racism, a coarse slogan, which also xenophobic statements in it are lying, "says Schmid.

The followers are repeatedly brainwashed. This was an important characteristic of a sect. The are told "Nydahl is also an elitist preacher of the best religion for the best people. It combines Buddhism with arrogance, judges Schmid. An example of an ego trip by Nydahl when asked about recent natural disasters: "It is their own fault" he said in an interview. And he added smugly: "As long as the women would be beautiful and no speed limits on the highways, nothing else matters".

Posted by: milarepa ()
Date: September 28, 2009 04:58AM

The other two?

Jacek Kuzberuk and his girlfriend Miriam. There are those sweet 6 people who making all the important steps in the life of london sangha.

I agree with the previous person that how can it happen -a big teacher using and abusing his position with woman. I have to tell that Ole has a sharm and a special power that you do get influenced. I am a strong headed person with a very strong character and any time i saw ole i was weak and crying. My fellow buddhist friend explained this-because you are losing your ego and he sees more in you than what you know about yourself.

Recently since i am not aloud visit a centre i started to realise it was the same how people loved Hitler during the second world war. It is harsh but how is it possible that so many people are constantly saying what the lama says words by words?

Why no one is questioning why no one has doubdt?

Recent issue:

"In five to ten years time I see you having a large place, a factory or a warehouse that is central, with good transport links. One large centre with smaller satelite centres." Lama Ole Nydahl

Well he is a wise man isn't he?

It is so easy to figure it out that in London the biggest place either a factory or an old theatre building. Why should be in central i have no clue i always assumed the centre is for not showing of this is for practise.

And about the money for the centre is coming from the people but who will pay for the mortgage?

Well again Lama Ole is not stupid.

He advised people to get the British passport so they can stay or get all the financial help what it would be available for them as they would be british. (For Jacek who is polish).

The question is we write here sometimes with anger sometimes just to ask what can we do.

So what can we do? Would not be the time to open up and really do something? Any open suggestion?

Current Page: 35 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.