Current Page: 33 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: June 24, 2009 03:42PM

I have found a rather amusing trend of Ole Nydahl now starting to call himself 'Ole Nydahl PhD', as the 'Lama' title he has been using is becoming increasingly known to be false. However, he never completed a PhD either! He dropped out and went smuggling drugs instead, for which he went to jail in 1969.

Also, thanks to Rick for adding the two DW links to the site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: awakeningnow ()
Date: June 26, 2009 11:55PM

The first time, and only time I met Mr. Nydahl was at a legitimate Karma Kagyu center. My instantaneous reaction can best be described as repulsion. Although dressed as a Lama his demeanor was one of arrogant self-centered ego display unlike anything I had previously encountered among my teachers or other Buddhist Lamas both Tibetan or Anglo by ethnicity. He literally strutted. Now this is entirely a judgement call on my part, but it prompted me to ask of our most advanced lay teacher and meditation leader just who this man could be. He laughed and told me how Mr. Nydahl wasn't a real Lama and was considered a joke among the Karma Kagyu practitioners. He went on to tell me about how once he was talking with him about the Karmapa controversy and how Mr. Nydahl in a fit of anger said it would be better if he and his people just took Uzi(sub-machine guns) and killed the other Karmapa and his followers. I was simply shocked.
I then went to my Lama who I asked about this other "Lama" and he laughed and said, "Lama,(ha ha) sure sure Lama" He then burst into laughter and told me something to the effect of that he was a crazy man, no lama.
Riding rainbows in the sky? What on earth are they talking about? I am a Buddhist and not a very accomplished one at that. My understanding of the intricacies of different paths is of little consequence. Many can quote from all kinds of sources this important doctrine and that one. I usually can't even remember all the steps on the eightfold path. But my feeling, body, mind? knows I'm on the right path. All the big Buddhist words and concepts not withstanding, the truth is simple; No man who displays a constant hatred of others and all the other confused qualities as does Mr. Nydahl can be or is even close to a state of enlightened activity.(period!)
I wish more people could see this simple truth not just the few whom I've seen here. I'm interested in the real Buddhist teachings. Be they in the form of Theravada or Mahayana, etc... I follow the one simple truth of the Buddha that all Teachings must be measured against my own reason before acceptance. Any doubt or fears I have ever had has been consistently destroyed by my one true friend the Buddha.
On a separate note, I returned from Syria in Dec. where i vacationed with my many true and decent Muslim friends. They felt that I should stay there with them to get over my grief in my mothers passing and at no time was my Buddhist faith ever questioned or attacked. I'm not a Muslim but I have friends who are and I despise the behavior of anyone who sets us up to hate. Remember as well that their will always be few who can truly follow the teachings as their are few who will be of sufficient caliber to understand and differentiate the truth.

Posted by: Outsider ()
Date: July 02, 2009 07:15PM

The first and only time I encountered Ole Nydahl was when he was parading his 17th Karmapa around Europe, during a 'public' blessing or whatever DW terms it to be Ole Nydahl stood up and interrupted the proceedings to remonstrate with a person in the audience who was using a video camera, the instruction from Nydahl was clear, you cannot record this event.

Now the summer is here DW is holding many events, Karmapa meditation (same old story over and over), Phowa (same concept over and over) throughout Eastern and Northern Europe, all course fees to be made to the DW German Account.

I am seeing through my partner as each day turns into week and months how indoctrinated DW followers are, objectives, desires, musings are almost text book how Ole Nydahl lives his life. How great it is to be around him and all his energy, how he is such a hero for all the travelling he does, how he is so dedicated. So much of what I hear is so close to what Ole Nydahl has written in his books and lets not forget the dogged drive for retreat centers all over the place.

One issue we havent put down here that has become clearer to me, Ole Nydahl and DW appear to be strongest in the Eastern Block countries and Russia where regulation is at best cloudy. DW also benefits from the liberalism of the Scandic countries but as is apparent from the attacks on other religions belives this liberalism should only benefit their agenda.

People have always tended towards paying for happiness, I guess in short that is what the thousands of paid up DW members are happy doing, paying for a slice of happiness DW style.

Date: July 07, 2009 07:08PM

from DWC

Steven James should not be a Buddhist teacher because he has done damage to people.
He is not mature person enough for that job.
He wants religious power and he can really go extra mile to hurt those who are obstacles on his way to achieve it.
Probably the Charity Commission will not do much. There is little they can do against a person who abuses power within religious communities.

Date: July 17, 2009 03:29PM

bump

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 17, 2009 10:33PM

Hmmm. I was in a bookstore that specializes in rare religious and metaphysical items.

In a locked bookcase, I saw a thin blue volume published by Dolphin Press, authored by Ole N, entitled The Bliss of Mahamudra or The Bliss of Madhyamika or some such thing

I didnt think to ask the price, but later, in curiousity I ran a www.bookfinder.com search and the title did not come up at all. And all the Ole N books listed when I ran an Ole Nydahl search were cheap and readily available.

So...there appears to be a scarce text out there, published by Dolphin Press, publisher of his other books, that he wrote at one time and may later have disavowed.

Posted by: jah ()
Date: July 18, 2009 08:14AM

I think that was the original mahamudra text. The current one has extensive Ole commentary which, unfortunately, makes it more about him, if you know what I mean. The original text was simple and pure enough that it could be used for transmission of the mahamudra concept. The current version has lost that, in my opinion. Though I suppose if you ignore the commentary and stick to the text itself transmission might still be possible. Interestingly, the difference between the two books in many ways is a portrayal of what has gone wrong with Diamond Way.

Date: August 10, 2009 01:23AM

bump! Keep up the good work everyone!

Date: August 10, 2009 05:02AM

Having gone round the houses with a DW member who says there is no policy on raising funds especially towards property (retreats) I find this interesting:

Apart from the satisfaction of contributing to the solidity of Diamond Way Buddhism in the Midwest and US, and sense of value and ownership, there are a few perks of being a paying center member. For example:
• Full access to the lending library
• Reduced rates for DWBC Madison - sponsored events, such as weekend courses and lectures

When you decide to become a paying center member, please contact Sean Grullon in person, by emailing him at spgrullon@wisc.edu or phoning at 608.332.9407.

Date: August 15, 2009 03:03AM

Rich coming from one who puts a price on everything he gives his students who form cells that have no freedom to discuss anything but his teachings and right wing dictat

[www.youtube.com]

Current Page: 33 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.