Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 07, 2012 04:45AM

Britain cannot afford any chances. There were the Tottenham riots and not so long ago, football hooligans on the rampage.

As they said during the Second World War, loose lips sink ships...and in the wrong circumstances, can burn down neighoborhoods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: August 07, 2012 05:32AM

In response to an earlier post about Nydahl and his students comments about "stiff ideas". It became increasingly clear that within DWB "stiff ideas" where any ideas that questioned Nydahl's opinions. This idea of shedding "stiff ideas" was hammered down our throats to such a degree that at one point I started to almost believe Nydahl's rants about Islam and people of colour. I even tried to accept the idea that Nydahl was performing an important service when he was having sex with his students. Fortunately, I never stopped questioning his ideas and eventually I realised that this constant criticism of my own "stiff ideas" was designed to break down my resistance to the group idea.

I think this was the breaking point for me within the group. The realisation that I wouldn't be "broken" meant that, to the leader, my presence was potentially disruptive. I understand the idea that you can't put something into an already full glass and that in order to learn something new and profound one might have to "throw out" old ideas. I urge anyone who gets involved with DWB Buddhism to be very careful about what they put into their minds and that if your first instinct is that something is wrong then it probably is wrong. If someone tells you that your morals are a "stiff idea" then walk away.

Steve

Posted by: jamgon ()
Date: August 07, 2012 06:04AM

Suenam:

Dharmakaya is the nature of mind, not a thing to be found, to refer to it as an essence is to try to grasp it as an object for consciousness, it is an attainment, not an objectively existing phenomenon.

[buddhism.about.com]

The dharmakaya is the Absolute; the essence of the universe

[www.merriam-webster.com]

the ideal body or the essence of the Absolute in the Buddhist doctrine of trikaya

Suenam:

Dharmadhatu is the 'realm of phenomena', one may speak of its essence, but it is not an essence

[www.rigpawiki.org]

Dharmadhatu (Skt. dharmadhâtu; Tib. chö ying; Wyl. chos kyi dbyings) — literally ‘the essence or expanse of phenomena’

(...)

dharmadhatu is the essence of things

It is perfectly acceptable to refer to both Dharmakaya and Dharmadhatu as the "essence". Others have done it before Ole and no one gets worked up about it. In conceptual language we have to use conceptual terms - otherwise dharma books would contain only blank pages. Both Dharmadhatu and Dharmakaya have no beginning and no end so to state that

There is no "timeless essence" ... in Buddhism

...is wrong. Within the limitations of conventional language it is perfectly ok to refer to "timeless essence" in Buddhism.

Suenam:

There is no ... "something" absolute to be found anywhere in Buddhism proper

To claim that there is nothing absolute in Buddhism is an extreme of nihilism - both Dharmakaya and Dharmadhatu are in numerous sources described as absolute. If we accept that the conceptual term "something" is the opposite of "nothing" then there most certainly is "something" absolute in Buddhism - Dharmakaya/Dharmadhatu/Buddha Nature.

Of course, as per the Middle Way teachings, phenomena do not exist in an absolute way. This is what Ole resolutely covered in the very next sentence (which Suenam decided to ignore):

Space and its richness of potential pervade beyond the concepts of what is and what is not.

So space (Dharmadhatu) which is absolute and timeless in nature is beyond the concepts of existence and non-existence. This is a bog standard presentation of the issue from the Middle Way perspective.

Suenam:

There is ... certainly no idea that the absolute is a sentient knowing thing.

As described in numerous sources, Dharmadhatu/Buddha Nature "pervades" all sentient beings. It has been with us from the beginningless time and can be realised, with correct effort. If fact, if the absolute were not within sentient beings Enlightenment would not be possible.

So, as I stated before, every single claim in you post is demonstrably wrong.

Peace

Posted by: suenam ()
Date: August 07, 2012 07:02AM

jamgon
To claim that there is nothing absolute in Buddhism is an extreme of nihilism..
Well I think you will find that Nagarjuna has often been viewed as espousing a nihilistic view. Personally I disagree, however his argument is obviously too subtle for those who see it as nihilism, yourself and Nydhal included.

At the risk of repeating myself, spamming a load of quotes is no real substitute for experience, clearly you have as much experience of Nagarjuna as you do of Norway.

The answer to Steve's question now seems glaringly obvious - Nydahl (and you) are practising theism and lack the subtlety to understand Buddhism.

Maybe it makes more sense to look at it from the other direction... If someone repeatedly makes such divisive comments about others (based upon gender, sexual orientation, beliefs) claiming to have grasped the truth about these relative phenomena, then how plausible is it for them claim they have truly understood the doctrine of emptiness?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 07:17AM by suenam.

Date: August 07, 2012 07:56AM

jamgon
Of course, as per the Middle Way teachings, phenomena do not exist in an absolute way. This is what Ole resolutely covered in the very next sentence (which Suenam decided to ignore):

Space and its richness of potential pervade beyond the concepts of what is and what is not.

So space (Dharmadhatu) which is absolute and timeless in nature is beyond the concepts of existence and non-existence. This is a bog standard presentation of the issue from the Middle Way perspective.
As you seem to require a quote, [www.newworldencyclopedia.org]

- "Thus even the two truths are dependently arisen. Realization of this is said to lead to direct perception of "tathata" or suchness, which Tibetans refer to as the union of luminosity (appearances) and emptiness. This is the heart of Madhyamaka—the Middle Way between the extremes of nihilism and eternalism."

It seems pretty clear that the idea of absolute truth here is also dependently arisen and therefore not as Nydahl claims, an independently existing eternal phenomenon.

The fact that Nydahl takes it as an independent truth leads to his mistake...

His claim that he is not a Lama when making political comments or having sex with his students is akin to someone claiming that he is not a vegetarian when eating meat every day, but in between meals his is in fact a vegetarian. Clearly he has mistaken the meaning of the term to mean something permanent which is independent of his actual activity.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 08:06AM by suenam.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 07, 2012 09:27PM

To whom it may concern:

This thread is not about "nihilism and externalism". Nor is it a place to debate philosophy, theology or various issues regarding Buddhist beliefs.

This thread is specifically about Ole Nydahl and his group "Diamond Way".

Please stay on topic.

Posts that are off topic will not be approved.

Jamgon will no longer be posting and/or participating at this message board.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 07, 2012 10:06PM

Yeah, lets focus on Steve's description of how, despite his very robust doubts, he nearly gave in to the group mentality within DW.

"Stiff Ideas" -- heh.

This appears to be part of the vocabulary at DW.

Any chance that it is Ole N who has problems with 'stiff ideas'...unthinkable.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Buddha & Love: Timeless ...Ole Nydahl is a Buddhist teacher who lived for four years in relative hardship in ...
(in a broad and authentic manner) for his own perverted goals and stiff ideas.
www.amazon.com/Buddha-Love-Timeless.../1937061841?...4 - 113k - Cached - Similar pages

Amazon.com: Romeo's review of Buddha & Love: Timeless Wisdom ...Ole Nydahl's diamondway managed in the last years to develop into a sect par ...
(in a broad and authentic manner) for his own perverted goals and stiff ideas.

www.amazon.com/review/R2ZBN1ABKOQ8YN - 176k - Cached - Similar pages

Meditate at DWBC Chicago this March!As a result, disturbing emotions and stiff ideas have no choice but to melt away
and dissolve like ice in warm water. Join us for any ... Lama Ole Nydahl's Website ...
myemail.constantcontact.com/Meditate-at-DWBC-Chicago-this-March-.html? ... - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

Lama Ole Nydahl's Charts – Free listening, concerts, stats - Last.fmTop tracks from Lama Ole Nydahl: Introduction to Buddhism, The Three Levels of
Buddha's Teachings & more. ... 16 The veil of stiff ideas, how to remove it.
1. 9 ...
www.last.fm/music/Lama+Ole+Nydahl/+charts?rangetype=6month... - Similar pages

Ole Nydahl » The Endless FurtherAug 24, 2010 ... Here is Lama Ole Nydahl talking about the nature of the mind: ... when the veils of
disturbing emotions and stiff ideas have been removed.
theendlessfurther.com/?tag=ole-nydahl - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Free your mind! Exploring The MatrixDissolving Stiff Ideas ... Lama Ole Nydahl: One's readiness to not block out
painful teachings concerning one's own situation, such as those of cause and
effect, ...
www.helsinki.fi/~papinnie/matrix.html - 159k - Cached - Similar pages

Música 16 The veil of stiff ideas, how to remove it - Lama Ole NydahlMúsica '16 The veil of stiff ideas, how to remove it' de Lama Ole Nydahl. Letra e
vídeos com a música no portal MOO.
www.moo.pt/...Ole+Nydahl/.../16+The+veil+of+stiff+ideas,+how+to+remove +it/ - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Ryan Singer - QuoraStiff ideas are the tendency to put things into boxes like "real" and "not real", "self"
and ... I decided I would look for a teacher and saw that Lama Ole Nydahl was ...

www.quora.com/Ryan-Singer - Similar pages

Ads
Volunteering Ideas

By the way, dear readers, I took a looksie at the Amazon citation.

Went to google cache for this citation.

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

The front page gives a 5 star citation by raincloud side by side with a one star review by Romeo

The most helpful favorable review

41 of 41 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to Think Like a Buddhist
Ole Nydahl is a Buddhist teacher who lived for four years in relative hardship in the Himalayas and became a close disciple of a legendary (no exaggeration) Tibetan Buddhist teacher called "the Sixteenth Karmapa." The Sixteenth Karmapa died in 1981 but sent Ole Nydahl and his wife to the west to start Buddhist centers in his name. Since then he's started around six...
Read the full review › [www.amazon.com]
Published 2 months ago by rain cloud

If you click on the link to read the full review by Rain Cloud, you get this--full text of the adulatory review

http://www.amazon.com/review/R14OCYEHFVQHYF

Customer Review

41 of 41 people found the following review helpful
Learn to Think Like a Buddhist, May 12, 2012
By rain cloudAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Buddha & Love: Timeless Wisdom for Modern Relationships (Hardcover)
Ole Nydahl is a Buddhist teacher who lived for four years in relative hardship in the Himalayas and became a close disciple of a legendary (no exaggeration) Tibetan Buddhist teacher called "the Sixteenth Karmapa." The Sixteenth Karmapa died in 1981 but sent Ole Nydahl and his wife to the west to start Buddhist centers in his name. Since then he's started around six hundred of them.

My understanding is he typically circles the globe twice a year on a never-ending pilgrimage, spending time in each of the centers he's started. In all that time and in all those different hemispheres you can imagine how many people he's met and talked to, how many couple relationships he's seen in various stages of getting together, staying together, or flying apart. So, I'd say it's the synthesis of all that human observation you get by reading this.

That's the lens you're looking through when you open this book.

To me, even though I've been in the same relationship for many years, it felt like an eagle's-eye-view of human interactions, like gliding overhead observing the big picture. He's obviously seen everything, heard everything, and thought about it all deeply.

If it seems odd reading about pair-bonding from a tradition that seems to encourage celibacy maybe it makes more sense to think about it in terms of the profound understanding of the mind Tibetan Buddhism represents. I mean, after all, they knew about the subconscious mind a thousand years before Freud (and they call it the "store consciousness" because everything is stored there). I just offer that as an example of the depth of Buddhist psychology.

On that basis alone, aren't you a little curious about what they have to say about relationships? After all, as he says in the book, having a partner is so important to all of us because it holds such a huge possibility for happiness if we can manage it and such a miserable possibiliy for unhappiness if we can't.

So, I bought this and definitely got a lot out of it. I even intend to read it again which is fairly rare for me. Of course, I got onto this guy because I thought his Mahamudra book ("Great Seal") was one of the best books I'd ever read and read it so many times I had to take it to Kinko's and get it rebound.

Well, anyway, I enjoy this guy's thought processes. They seem very mature and based on real world experience. He's even inspiring. And as time goes by I think inspiration in life is at least as rare as falling deeply in love and maybe worth even more.

Best of luck to you, whatever your spiritual pathway. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse | Permalink

Buddha & Love: Timeless Wisdom for Modern Relationships 1937061841 Lama Ole Nydahl Brio Books Buddha & Love: Timeless Wisdom for Modern Relationships Books Learn to Think Like a Buddhist Ole Nydahl is a Buddhist teacher who lived for four years in relative hardship in the Himalayas and became a close disciple of a legendary (no exaggeration) Tibetan Buddhist teacher called "the Sixteenth Karmapa." The Sixteenth Karmapa died in 1981 but sent Ole Nydahl and his wife to the west to start Buddhist centers in his name. Since then he's started around six hundred of them.

My understanding is he typically circles the globe twice a year on a never-ending pilgrimage, spending time in each of the centers he's started. In all that time and in all those different hemispheres you can imagine how many people he's met and talked to, how many couple relationships he's seen in various stages of getting together, staying together, or flying apart. So, I'd say it's the synthesis of all that human observation you get by reading this.

That's the lens you're looking through when you open this book.

To me, even though I've been in the same relationship for many years, it felt like an eagle's-eye-view of human interactions, like gliding overhead observing the big picture. He's obviously seen everything, heard everything, and thought about it all deeply.

If it seems odd reading about pair-bonding from a tradition that seems to encourage celibacy maybe it makes more sense to think about it in terms of the profound understanding of the mind Tibetan Buddhism represents. I mean, after all, they knew about the subconscious mind a thousand years before Freud (and they call it the "store consciousness" because everything is stored there). I just offer that as an example of the depth of Buddhist psychology.

On that basis alone, aren't you a little curious about what they have to say about relationships? After all, as he says in the book, having a partner is so important to all of us because it holds such a huge possibility for happiness if we can manage it and such a miserable possibiliy for unhappiness if we can't.

So, I bought this and definitely got a lot out of it. I even intend to read it again which is fairly rare for me. Of course, I got onto this guy because I thought his Mahamudra book ("Great Seal") was one of the best books I'd ever read and read it so many times I had to take it to Kinko's and get it rebound.

Well, anyway, I enjoy this guy's thought processes. They seem very mature and based on real world experience. He's even inspiring. And as time goes by I think inspiration in life is at least as rare as falling deeply in love and maybe worth even more.

Best of luck to you, whatever your spiritual pathway. rain cloud May 12, 2012
Overall: 5

Post a comment

To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Amazon will display this name with all your submissions, including reviews and discussion posts. (Learn more)
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.

Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment
As a representative of this product you can post one Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed. Learn more
Make this my Official Comment
The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
(edit name)
After clicking the Post button you will be asked to create your public name, which will be shown with all your contributions.
Is this your product?
If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed. Learn more
Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.
Is this your product?
If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed. Learn more

System timed out
We were unable to verify whether you represent the product. Please try again later, or retry now. Otherwise you can post a regular comment.

Since you previously posted an Official Comment, this comment will appear in the comment section below. You also have the option to edit your Official Comment. Learn more
The maximum number of Official Comments have been posted. This comment will appear in the comment section below. Learn more

You are already tracking this discussion. Receive e-mail when new posts are made

Prompts for sign-in Guidelines

Comments

You are tracking comments by e-mail Cancel

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2012 7:24:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 7:24:50 PM PDT
Amelia says:
Lama Ole does not have celibacy vows. He was married for a long time until 2007 when his wife Hanah passed away, so one could say he does have some authority when speaking about relationships. Also there are some Tibetan buddhist traditions of lay people. Celibacy is just a choice, and is definitely the main choice people take in certain traditions, but not all.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
0 of 3 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 8:26:55 PM PDT
rain cloud says:
Thanks for the information. Best wishes to you and Lama Ole.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
0 of 3 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Now readers let's see what happened to the full text of the "most helpful critical review" of Ole's book, which was posted on Amazon just one month ago, by 'Romeo.

The most helpful critical review

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Buddhism is about a natural, open and selfless state of mind
Ole Nydahl's diamondway managed in the last years to develop into a sect par excellence.

He writes about love and all beings fulfillment but in reality abuses his teachings and people who want to naturally benefit everyone and realize what the buddhist path actually is about (in a broad and authentic manner) for his own perverted goals and stiff ideas. He cuts...
Read the full review › [www.amazon.com]

404 Document Not Found

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Go to Amazon.com's Home Page

Published 1 month ago by Romeo

Gone, gone, gone to the other side, never to return.

The full text of the complementary review gets to stay on Amazon.

The full text of the most helpful non complimentary review is gone.

All my efforts to be a terton (treasure finder) were to no avail. Could not find the full text of Romeo's review at all.

THIS IS THE STUFF TO FOCUS ON, not Vajrayana terminology.

Jamgon wanted us to get our minds confused so he could stick our thought processes on a dagger and immobilize scrutiny of Ole and the DW organization.

Instead, get out your phurba daggers. Stick the phurba dagger of penetrating insight into Ole Nydal's stiff ideas--and use penetrating scrutiny on why Romeo's contribution, posted one month ago to Amazon cannot be found, while raincloud's adultatory review of Ole's book, posted 2 months ago, remains to be read in full.

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: August 07, 2012 11:34PM

I can vouch that 'stiff ideas' were definitely one of the phrases often trotted out in DW centres. It comes straight from Ole Nydahl's mouth and is parroted by centre leaders, travelling teachers, etc. It is used, along with the 'ego excuse' to shut down debate. If you disagree with Nydahl, you have too many 'stiff ideas', or an 'ego problem'. There were other phrases used, but I definitely remember those two, even all these years later, because they were used so much.

The cult's legal department has been taking down critical videos on youtube and other sites again. Despite this, I am pressing ahead with my documentary, because, as has been shown by the fact that many copies of that video remain, once the cat is out the bag, even DW's legal department can't shut down every copy. It is spreading quicker than they can remove them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 11:35PM by ~*~ k a t e ~*~.

Date: August 08, 2012 12:47AM

corboy
Jamgon wanted us to get our minds confused so he could stick our thought processes on a dagger and immobilize scrutiny of Ole and the DW organization.
Actually I think jamgon's posts show us just how Nydahl's students are indoctrinated.

As SteveLpool pointed out, there is a filtering out of any information which would give a balanced view combined with a repeated hammering home of anything which reinforces their blinkered approach.

The issue is far wider than just vajrayana terminology, it is whether truth is seen as a means to understanding or as an end in itself - the latter being the untenable claim of fundamentalists and cults.

In Buddhism specifically, there is an emphasis on establishing certainty in the absence of any specific view, the emphasis being on open mindedness. This is a key aspect in spotting a Buddhist cult, because their certainty rests in clinging onto a specific set of values and a particular worldly viewpoint, resulting in the close mindedness that we have witnessed.

Btw Corboy, that review is back up now - [www.amazon.com] - also titled "Buddhism is about a natural, open and selfless state of mind"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 01:03AM by suenam.

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: August 08, 2012 01:08AM

Here's a copy and paste of the review, in case it gets taken down again:

Ole Nydahl's diamondway managed in the last years to develop into a sect par excellence.

He writes about love and all beings fulfillment but in reality abuses his teachings and people who want to naturally benefit everyone and realize what the buddhist path actually is about (in a broad and authentic manner) for his own perverted goals and stiff ideas. He cuts off since decades thousands of people who would naturally belong there for the right reasons.

He talks of an offer for bright and open minds but in truth takes real buddhists "as hostages" or simply cuts them off from his teachers for his own interest and instead stuffed the kagyü lineage with people who want to feed their giant egos and are not only useless for buddhism as a whole but deeply dangerous for everyone who earnestly tries to open up and bring forth what the nature of mind is about.

Although he is for some reason able to give these sort of valuable information because of the earnest generosity of his teachers which are actually meant for real buddhist practicioners and people with open and good hearts. But the more brutal or dull you are the more success you will have in his club. Out of sight, out of mind.

One can only wish for everyone's sake and the sake of buddhism at all that his organization will be replaced by real and authentic buddhists who care for everyone and not mainly their power and own benefit. But he nearly made this impossible.
Totally and utterly useless, if not to say completely criminal.

And since a wisdom lineage by nature is not a club for this sort of behaviour or mental attitude and what happens there is maybe even capable of having an impact of development of buddhism in general in the future (as long as one considers Ole Nydahl to be important. He certainly does.), what happens in his organization is more like a kind of hostage taking of real and authentic buddhists. In the name of his teachers.

If one takes part there and even makes honest wishes for everyone's liberation and enlightenment even in this life and even for his followers (on a solid and correct buddhist basis) they will most likely constantly and deeply harm one because they have nothing with this in mind anyway and just stick to this way because they hope to be liberated for nothing and gain all kinds of benefits at the cost of normal, relaxed, open, simple and nice people. Survival of the fittest.

There is no justification that Ole Nydahl is still allowed to teach (apart from perverted buddhist politics) or that he can use a Lama-title. He totally abused the teachings he got for his private purposes.

Another attempt to make people dependant on him and his system and to enforce his will. He has nothing to do with the kindness of his teachers he speaks of in his book. His main concern is to be in charge now and in the future and to gain every benefit this way grants for himself and people to his taste or will. Although one does not meditate on him in this club but on authentic teachers who naturally are responsible for everyone and represent a selfless state of mind with solid basis, one is made into his blind and dependant sheep and has no chance to practice what a responsible and authentic teacher-and-student-relationship aim at.

If someome should wonder how there can be 20 5-star ratings on almost the same day, it is not because Ole Nydahl produces such wonderful quality, but he told his blind believers to do so.
Ridiculous. Doesn't make him any better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.