Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: suenam ()
Date: August 06, 2012 10:59PM

corboy
jamgon wrote:

As Corboy stated early in the thread those defending Ole need not even be here (or words to that effect). If you are trying to have a rational debate on the issues which bug you this may not be the right venue. The raison d’etre of this forum is to “express and address” concerns, not to debate whether these concerns are justified.

Jamgon, are you defending Ole?

I think it's pretty obvious Jamgon has a degree of sympathy with Nydahl, he even seems to have mastered Nydahl's style of debate...

I made a list of certain characteristics I've noticed which I call "Nydahlspeak":

- Unable to give a straight answer - deliberately misunderstanding others in order to distort things to a view that suits you

- Thinking in absolutes - (one view is right, the other is wrong - thinking critically is seen as only serving to dismiss the other viewpoints - the world is viewed in black and white terms.)

- Need for authoritative sources which are taken literally rather than being able to think for themselves

- Making gross generalizations based upon stereotypes

- Reliance on "gossip" (eg. taking clearly biased views such as media hype as fact)

- Unable to stay on topic - as a means to avoid confronting uncomfortable truths

- Patronising, arrogant, and dismissive

- Project their own faults onto the person pointing them out

(feel free to add any that I've missed)

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 06, 2012 11:23PM

I figured I'd better give an example...

SteveLpool
So am I in error to think that divisive speech regarding race and religion, extra-marital affairs and indulging in sexual acts with students is wrong? Have I misunderstood something fundamental to Buddha’s teaching’s in holding the view that all the above is harmful? I’d be interested in hearing your views.

jamgon
Steve:
You can do better than regurgitate my views. You have the intelligence and knowledge to make up your own mind on the issue. To borrow from Corboy's wisdom "become your own Buddha".

Steve has made his views perfectly clear already, he is asking yours - not in order to "regurgitate" them or because he hasn't made his own mind up - but yet again you avoid giving a straight answer in a very condescending manner which totally distorts the issue.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 06, 2012 11:23PM

The meat of the matter is to find out what happened to Emma and concentrate on the realistic community anxieties about Loudmouth Ole setting up a center.

Last thing needed in the UK are more inflammatory situations. The sitaution in Tottenham was not pretty.

The more attention given to Jamgon, the less is given to these much more important matters.

IMO 'debate' in Vajrayana speak as well as Ole-speak equals indoctrination.

Some years ago, another person showed up on this thread inviting us to do a Dharma Debate about Ole. If we had followed this other persons advice, we'd have been snagged in this 'debate' like kittens getting snarled up in yarn and attention would have been deflected away from where it really belonged and still does belong--Ole N and DW

Here's what ensued.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: August 07, 2012 01:10AM

Thanks for bringing us back on topic, Corboy.

Any ideas as to what is to be done about the cult's new London centre, granted by naive local government officials who clearly didn't do their research about DW and just saw the word Buddhism and thought 'great!'

Posted by: warrenz ()
Date: August 07, 2012 01:29AM

~*~ k a t e ~*~
Thanks for bringing us back on topic, Corboy.

Any ideas as to what is to be done about the cult's new London centre, granted by naive local government officials who clearly didn't do their research about DW and just saw the word Buddhism and thought 'great!'

What I 'd really like to see is an undercover investigation of the kind that I think has been done for the likes Scientology, Moonies etc. A journalist willing to join the group for a few months and maybe travel around and do some undercover filming/reporting. It's clear from the recent video that Ole can't keep the hatred bottled up.

Even if planning permission has been granted, they'll still need licenses for all manner of activities there. Keeping the local community representatives up-to-date with Ole and the kind of stuff he comes off with will make that process more and more difficult. As you point out, in the age of the internet and phone cameras, it's very difficult to get away with the kind of behavior, Ole acts out and encourages without the world knowing about it. I think he has still to learn that what is acceptable in some parts of eastern Europe will not go down so well in England or the US.

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: August 07, 2012 02:36AM

Dear All.

I contacted a member of Lambeth Council and sent her the links to the YouTube video before it was removed. If you want to follow this up and express your own concerns regarding the new London centre then send her an e-mail.

It's Mrs Campbell

lcampbell@lambeth.gov.uk

She has never replied to any of my e-mails so I guess she doen't really care but it's worth a try.

Thanks

Steve

Date: August 07, 2012 02:40AM

Two pictures of Ole Nydahl engaging in inappropriate behaviour with students during lectures (click for larger pictures):

Date: August 07, 2012 02:42AM

My documentary on the diamond way cult is coming along. Getting someone to go inside the cult and film is a good one. I wonder if anyone could do this? Being a former member, I'd be recognised by them, unfortunately, otherwise I'd do so myself. Below is the rough script I have put together so far. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Diamond Way has always been a controversial group, but recently things seem to have come to a head, with some referring to the group as a cult, and protests outside some of their centres.
This documentary aims to get to the truth of the matter.

Let's start with the history of the organisation...
Diamond Way's founder and leader, Ole Nydahl, was born in Denmark in 1941.
He travelled to Nepal many times as did many hippies of the time in the 1960's.
He was convicted of smuggling drugs back into Denmark and sent to prison.

However, whilst in Nepal, He met the 16th Karmapa and took some Buddhist teachings. Despite never taking the 3 year retreat usually required, he took up and still uses the title 'Lama'.
When he returned to Denmark, he founded a meditation centre in Copenhagen that later became the Diamond Way organisation. It now constitutes over 500 centres around the world, mainly in Eastern Europe. Today, Ole Nydahl regularly travels round the world to his centres.

The group has always remained controversial, not least because of Ole Nydahl's behaviour.

Ole Nydahl is well known today for his racist comments, especially against black people and Muslims.
In his book 'The Way Things Are', he says: "Nobody informed expects anything but hate and suppression from Islam" and "Almost all the harm inflicted upon Buddhism throughout history has been caused by Islam".
He has also said in speeches and lectures that "Islam is criminal" and "Allah is a terrible god."
In a lecture in 2008, he said "people are reborn according to their merits. So, if they have been great sinners, they will be reborn into a very uncomfortable and difficult life, for example in Black Africa."

There have also been accusations of Ole Nydahl sexually abusing his female followers.
In an interview in November 2009, he admitted having affairs with female students, however stated that he felt there was nothing wrong with it.
When asked about sexual relations with students, he said "There’s no teacher-student relationship involved in that. They’re Diamond Way Buddhists, but they’re not my students in that moment. They’re equal partners."

There has also been extensive criticism from those involved with Tibetan Buddhism.
Stephen Bachelor, author and expert in Tibetan Buddhism, says the organisation has "fundamentalist and sectarian overtones."
Martin Baumann, professor of religion at Lucerne University, calls it 'instant Buddhism light'
The group was also involved in quite a public argument with the German Buddhist Union, which has since banned all advertising by Diamond Way from it's publications.

We spoke to former members of the Diamond Way organisation, who claim that group members have since been told that they were 'mentally ill' after they left. There have also been claims that former friends were told to have no further contact with those who had left.
We also spoke to former members who have decided to speak out about the organisation. On each occasion, they claim to have received hate mail and legal threats. They provided us with a selection. Here's a few that stand out.
"I am pretty sure this kind of false accusations is illegal, so drop this before you force anyone to turn you in. Stop with your silly accusations."
"That is very disgusting what kind of arguments you are using. You are probably some woman who failed desperatelly to love with Ole. I think that Lama Ole is a GREAT teacher. Also he has a free yogi style so he can have as many girlfriends as he wants."
"Are you seeing a doctor about your condition? You and your ilk would do the world best by not pushing your neurosis on others. Please get laid more often."

Most importantly, former members have referred to the organisation as a dangerous cult, and accused it of being Ole Nydahl's personal money-making scheme, with an elaborate set of books, lectures, courses, blessings and meditation practices all with a price.
They have also spoken of pressure to only read books published by Diamond Way itself, and that certain teachings are witheld from followers until they are sufficiently brainwashed.
Diamond Way did not den this, saying that members need to be 'spiritually ready' before recieving certain teachings.
In 2008, three of the organisations's books were leaked onto the internet via Wikileaks. A fourth was later leaked onto another website, but later removed. What is most striking about these books is that they were copyrighted, which is unusual for a religion.
Diamond Way maintains that only the translations are copyrighted, and not the original texts. They also admitted that the first three books were genuine, but claimed the fourth was a fake.
Diamond Way themselves also claim that through a practice of 'conscious dying', followers will recieve a small wound on the top of their heads. This has yet to be objectively proven.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 02:43AM by ~*~ k a t e ~*~.

Posted by: dariusb ()
Date: August 07, 2012 04:10AM

~*~ k a t e ~*~
A word of warning. Daffyd Morris, of the London Diamond Way centre, his brother Ceri Morris, who runs the cult's Reading centre along with his Polish wife Aga Moriss (an arranged marriage by the cult) have all been caught creating fake facebook profiles to try and smear former members. Facebook provided the details of the true identities of the people creating these smear profiles. The diamond way cult uses information on former members to smear them. Be aware!

Also, the cult's legal department has gone into overdrive lately to shut down any criticism, including censorship of youtube and various anti-cult blogs that had been around previously for years.

Would you expand on this please? Who caught them creating this profiles? Who did Facebook provide information with?
Recently i got a information that Daffyd Morris was inquiring about me witch is a bit strange , I left DW long time ago and never been a good friend of him.

I have seen Karmapa Thaye Dorje not long time ago and what i liked about him that he never talked about any politics ,just Buddha's Teachings, in my opinion that how it should be.

p.s Daffyd Morris i know you read this forum dont hesitate contact me let me know what is your problem may be i will be able to help you.

Date: August 07, 2012 04:36AM

Nice one Kate,

Maybe consider adding something about how DWB's extremist reputation has attracted a significant right-wing element and how the prevalence of young uneducated skinheads in DWB has lead to some allegations of abuse from ex-members...

also in the bit about ex-members being called "mentally ill" and break contact with former friends - maybe mention how this "us vs them" attitude is typical of cult behaviour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.