Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: jamgon ()
Date: August 06, 2012 07:21AM

Steve:

Yes, of course I am in the process of making my own mind up on the issue but you are posting on this forum as, I assume, a supporter on Nydahl and are therefore attempting to refute the claims of those of us who find his methods anomalous when considering Buddha's teachings.

If you think we're making a mistake then I for one am open to reading your analysis. I haven't just decided I'm right and all other view points are wrong. This would be an example of the "stiff ideas" Nydhal warns us of. On the contrary I am willing to listen to all arguements and if it appears I am in error I'll admit I've made a mistake and re-think my views.

No, I am not posting here as a “supporter” of Lama Ole but simply as a person with views on the issues discussed. Doing this I am actually sticking my neck out because the rules of this forum are clear:

This forum was established for the purpose of allowing those with concerns about certain groups, leaders and designated topics to express and address those concerns.

As Corboy stated early in the thread those defending Ole need not even be here (or words to that effect). If you are trying to have a rational debate on the issues which bug you this may not be the right venue. The raison d’etre of this forum is to “express and address” concerns, not to debate whether these concerns are justified.

One recent example is the blatantly erroneous claim made by Suenam that there is nothing absolute and permanent in Buddhism. I linked a dozen authoritative texts directly disproving every single aspect of her missive but no one appears to care. I even quoted from Nagarjuna’s “In Praise of the Dharmadhatu” but my post got withheld as irrelevant! If your mission here is to critically examine the rights and wrongs where were you when a demonstrably wrong statement was posted?

Peace

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: suenam ()
Date: August 06, 2012 08:51AM

jamgon
One recent example is the blatantly erroneous claim made by Suenam that there is nothing absolute and permanent in Buddhism. I linked a dozen authoritative texts directly disproving every single aspect of her missive but no one appears to care. I even quoted from Nagarjuna’s “In Praise of the Dharmadhatu” but my post got withheld as irrelevant! If your mission here is to critically examine the rights and wrongs where were you when a demonstrably wrong statement was posted?
I think you'll find your post still stands (on page 127) and it was in fact my response that was deleted. Maybe that's why you've misread the exchange?

I was highlighting Nydahl's phrasing - "That something absolute must always be always and everywhere, never created nor destroyed" and how that contradicted the very text you quoted, for example in verse 32 of “In Praise of the Dharmadhatu” - "There is not one single thing that exists - How could the naive believe that there is?"

You quoted, "The dharmadhatu was never born, Nor will it ever cease." from verse 8 as if that addressed the issue of substantialist metaphysics which is clearly present not only in Nydahl's writings, but also in his whole approach.

Such an approach means Nydahl has misunderstood the two truths as a (dualistic) two worlds theory which is precisely what enables him to cling so tightly to his dualistic views.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 08:52AM by suenam.

Posted by: jamgon ()
Date: August 06, 2012 11:24AM

Suenam:

You claimed:

There is no "timeless essence" or any absolute "something" to be found anywhere in Buddhism proper, and certainly no idea that the absolute is a sentient knowing thing.

Every single part of this sentence is wrong - see Nagarjuna's verses 1, 8 and 65 (or one of the dozen other sources I quoted).

Peace

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: August 06, 2012 06:22PM

A word of warning. Daffyd Morris, of the London Diamond Way centre, his brother Ceri Morris, who runs the cult's Reading centre along with his Polish wife Aga Moriss (an arranged marriage by the cult) have all been caught creating fake facebook profiles to try and smear former members. Facebook provided the details of the true identities of the people creating these smear profiles. The diamond way cult uses information on former members to smear them. Be aware!

Also, the cult's legal department has gone into overdrive lately to shut down any criticism, including censorship of youtube and various anti-cult blogs that had been around previously for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 06:24PM by ~*~ k a t e ~*~.

Posted by: pS1bY8pG2l ()
Date: August 06, 2012 07:56PM

Hi Kate,

you are right, as I told here, Emma C.´s blog does not exist anymore!

"Also, the cult's legal department has gone into overdrive lately to shut down any criticism, including censorship of youtube and various anti-cult blogs that had been around previously for years."

From my blog Nydahl´s lawyer let delete five posts by Google. Now I created a Website in my own responsibility and no one instead of a juge can force me to take down my posts. The site is still under construction, a lot of work which I am doing by my own: [marte-micaela-riepe.webnode.com]

We have to resist with creative strategies against legal actions! One is fighting in the air, you fight on earth, one is fighting on earth, you fight in air ... .

Date: August 06, 2012 08:10PM

A few links (some are not new. They have been posted here to keep them together and keep them safe from the cult's censorship. Please mirror/download/etc to help):

The diamond way cult's links with the far right, including the group 'europe of the future', known for it's far right and anti-muslim stance: [loonwatch.wordpress.com]

Oliver Freiberger's report on Western Buddhism which is critical of Nydahl: www.globalbuddhism.org/2/freiberger011.pdf

Nydahl has been accused not only of speaking in a conceited and militaristic way, but
also of being right wing, racist, sexist, and hostile to foreigners.

Protests against planned Buddhist centre's Islamophobic links: [www.iengage.org.uk]
Remember when the cult's trolls earlier tried to pretend there was no protests? The one in this article was not the first. There was a small protest in September 2009 when Ole Nydahl entered the UK to spread his hate speech at a series of lectures. There were also a couple of larger protests outside various diamond way centres, mainly in the UK but also in Europe, in March 2009 and September 2008.

Ole Nydahl admits to having sex with followers of his Diamond Way cult: [lacrossetribune.com]

When I asked him the next day about claims that he has sexual encounters with his students, he didn’t deny this.
“There’s no teacher-student relationship involved in that,” he said by phone. “They’re Diamond Way Buddhists, but they’re not my students in that moment. They’re equal partners.”

The Diamond Way cult should also be aware that I have already downloaded and mirrored these elsewhere online. I also downloaded the blogs subject to take-down demands long before Diamond Way was able to issue those demands.

The cat is out the bag. Remember the words of John Gilmore. "The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."

Date: August 06, 2012 09:26PM

[www.southlondon-today.co.uk]

Anger at go-ahead for Buddhist centre
Tuesday, 10 July 2012

THE biggest Tibetan Buddhist meditation centre in London will be created following planning approval – despite protests from Muslim and Christian groups.

On Tuesday evening, Lambeth council’s planning committee approved the plans for the former Beaufoy Institute, in Black Prince Road, Kennington, to become the Diamond Way Buddhism (DWB) organisation.

However, more than 40 protesters from the Lambeth Muslim Forum and the Lambeth Interfaith Network protested outside Lambeth Town Hall, in Brixton Hill amid claims the organisation is anti-Muslim and anti-Christian.

The meeting room was so packed that the protesters were denied entry and left to protest outside.

Objections to the new use of the Grade II listed building also came from the Lambeth Against Racism and Islamophobia group and Vauxhall MP Kate Hoey.

DWB is a the world’s largest lay Buddhist organisation, following the western Karma Kagyu lineage, under the Lama Ole Nydahl.

The controversy has arisen from comments made by Lama Nydahl during interviews and online, on “radical Islam” and scandals in Christian churches.

Toaha Qureshi, a member of the Lambeth Muslim Forum and trustee of the Stockwell Mosque, in Stockwell Green, believed Lama Nydahl’s comments amounted to “hate speech”.

He said: “We are not against Buddhists because it is a peaceful religion.

“We are protesting against this particular faction of Diamond Way because we believe their leader preaches hate.

“We were not allowed into the meeting.

“We don’t feel that the council has consulted with community leaders. If they had done that, we would not be here today.”

The centre will be used for meditation and well-being classes, as well as being available for use by community groups in Kennington.

The building’s 44 bedrooms will be used by volunteers from other UK centres, who will stay there to help with the day-to-day running of the facility.

DWB trustee Steve James has denied the organisation is Islamophobic and hailed the development as a way of protecting the historic building.

He said: “Diamond Way is an open organisation.

“Members come from a wide range of ethnic and cultural backgrounds, including Muslims, and would be shocked to be counted as members of an Islamophobic organisation.

“While Diamond Way Buddhism is not political, one of our teachers, Lama Ole Nydahl, has made personal statements on world affairs in press interviews.

“The occasional comments he has made about radical Islam have been grouped together and circulated in order to cause offence.”

Date: August 06, 2012 09:59PM

karam-mudra
you are right, as I told here, Emma C.´s blog does not exist anymore!

Does anyone know what happened to 'Emma C'? She hasn't posted on here since 2009 and the (now removed) blog stopped being updated some time in 2010 or 2011. I hope she didn't succumb to the Diamond Way cult's harassment and death threats. It seems that she was especially cruelly targeted, presumably in retaliation for starting this thread and her blog. I am grateful to her, as we all should be, for being brave enough to expose so much about this cult. I just hope she has chosen to move on with her life and stopped posting of her own free choice, not because she was forced to by the cult.

Posted by: suenam ()
Date: August 06, 2012 10:43PM

jamgon
Suenam:

You claimed:

There is no "timeless essence" or any absolute "something" to be found anywhere in Buddhism proper, and certainly no idea that the absolute is a sentient knowing thing.

Every single part of this sentence is wrong - see Nagarjuna's verses 1, 8 and 65 (or one of the dozen other sources I quoted).

Peace
What you have done here is latch onto a couple of words without the slightest understanding of what they mean, not only with Buddhist texts but also with posts in this thread where you appear to have "deliberately" misunderstood others in order to distort things to a view that suits you (in a very similar way to Nydahl himself!).

The fact that, like Nydahl, you think in terms of absolutes makes it crystal clear that you are taking these words literally and imagining they refer to some really existing phenomenon.

Dharmakaya is the nature of mind, not a thing to be found, to refer to it as an essence is to try to grasp it as an object for consciousness, it is an attainment, not an objectively existing phenomenon.

Dharmadhatu is the 'realm of phenomena', one may speak of its essence, but it is not an essence.

Most importantly, it is mind entirely devoid of dualistic thoughts which think in terms of subject and object, or self and other, which perceives all external appearances as manifestations of clarity without any grasping at conceptions or judgments - This is precisely what highlights Nydahl's divisive views as being in any way realised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 10:44PM by suenam.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 06, 2012 10:44PM

jamgon wrote:

As Corboy stated early in the thread those defending Ole need not even be here (or words to that effect). If you are trying to have a rational debate on the issues which bug you this may not be the right venue. The raison d’etre of this forum is to “express and address” concerns, not to debate whether these concerns are justified.

Jamgon, are you defending Ole?

I have found out that among the Vajrayana traditions, what is called debate is more an effective form of indoctrination.

Nicholas Grozni lived 3 plus years as a student monk in Dharamsala, attending courses at the Institute of Buddhist Dialectic. He had learned Tibetan and took private tutoring with an expert in logic.

Grozni lived those years as a local, living in rented rooms in mud huts, cooking on a kerosene stove, bathing from a cold water tap, waiting in line to do so.

He had taken monastic vows as a Geluk monk and after a long period, reached proficiency to begin classes at the Institute of Buddhist Dialectics. Here are things he discovered.

"..I was fascinated to see the analysis and line of reasoning that empowered the fundamental Buddhist concepts concerning the nature of mind and emptiness, but when it came to spouting out memorized definitions or defending catagories I did not believe existed, there wasnt a more jaded debater in the courtyard.

"Time for instance was placed in a catagory that was neither matter, mind, or space. I claimed that it was a property of the mind, and no one succeeded in proving me wrong.

.."What frustrated me in particular was the common perception among Tibetans that, in addition to explaining the nature of mind and reality, Buddhism also offered an insight into the workings of the physical world.

"One of the first definitions that I and my classmates (none of whom had gone to secondary school) were given was of the color white. It went as follows:

White is that which appears white.

I was absolutely dumfounded. First, it was a tautology. Second of all, at the end of the twentieth century, anyone studying color should at least be aware that color is a wavelength. And if one needed a definition, "an electromagnetic vibration whose wavelenths are evenly distributed from 35 to 75 millionths of a centimeter" would have been quite appropriate. "

A bit further on the same page, Grozni describes a debate he was in. Western readers will see how different this is from the kind of debate methodology learned from our Greek ancestors.

"My first real debate (Vajrayana style-Corboy)--after weeks of reciting memorized definitions (bolded by Corboy for emphasis) took place on the balcony of the Main Temple, where all the monks from the Institute of Buddhist Dialectics had gathered to escape the rain.

"My opponent was an eighteen year old monk who through some wierd machination had been given the title "Rinpoche" - a reincarnate Buddhist teacher--and as a consequence enjoyed money, servants, private tutoring, respect and other privileges befitting a boy-king...

He was standing up, ready to attack. I was sitting cross legged, wrapped up in my zen. ('Zen' in Tibetan, is the long toga or shawl worn by monks)

"Give me the definition of space", he shouted, snapping his fingers under my nose--a small contemptuous gesture that was meant to establish his authority, right from the start.

"An absence of obstruction" I replied confidently.

(Corboy note: see how the power structures are built right into the debating ritual. This is very different from picture given by Plato of how Socrates gathered among social equals and engaged in the conversational debates written down by Plato. Totally different atmosphere. Socrates didnt snap fingers in people's faces. All the discussants were on the same physical level, too. )

The monk stepped back, raised his right hand while simultaneously pulling a rosary up his left arm (a lot like an archer pulling back a bowstring) and then rushed toward me to deliver his claim: "It follows that you can't see space directly". (Hands clapping)

"Why?" I demanded. Why was one of the four standard answers available(Corboy emphasis) to a defendant. It prompted the attacking opponent to state his reasoning.

"Because space is a negation" the monk declared.

At this point I had three options.

To say, "Do, which in Tibetan means, "I agree"

To say, "The reason is not established", which would prompt my opponent to prove that space is a negation, not a positive phenomenon

Or finally to say, "It doesnt follow" (meaning the reciprocity between the terms--negation and direct perception--isnt proven) which would call for further reasoning demonstrating that if something is a negation, it can never be perceived directly.

"Unhappy with the lines of argument that these three answers were certain to bring, I opted for something entirely different.

An illegal move.

"I see it" I announced finally, shrugging my shoulders. This kind of thing was absolutely verboten. (Forbidden)

It was like taking your king during a chess game and moving him slowly to the edge of the table and then onto the floor.

"What did you say?" the monk asked, looking confused. Maybe he had not heard me correctly. After all I was just an Engie (foreigner.) Tibetan was not my native language.

"Turn around", I ordered him. (The monk obeyed.) "Look at all the the empty space behind you!"

Dumbfounded, my opponent stared at the open space enclosed by a wall of mountains and capped by a dome of melting grey clouds. The other monks also stopped their debates to examine the sky. Everyone looked like they'd taken acid and were experiencing massive hallucinations.

Regaining his composure, my opponent took a step back and delivered his next verdict.

"It follows you cant see emptiness directly. Because it is a negation, just like space. (Hands clapping)

Now I got it. He hoped I would say space wasnt an object of direct perception so that he could transfer the argument to emptiness.

And of course, I couldnt claim that emptiness isnt perceived directly because that would mean that Enlightenment isnt achievable.

"But I can see space directly" I insisted, refusing to follow the debate protocol for the second time. "Its very easy. Look over there, at al that beautiful empty space!"

Again, everyone stopped to look at me and then at the empty space.

Now the debate digressed into a conversation, with all the monks nearly begging me to come to my senses.

"Come on, Lodro, you cant say that you can see space!"

"Why not?"

"Because there's nothing there! No one can see nothing!"

"But I love nothing! I'm looking at it and its breathtaking. It fills my eyes".

"But you cant see the absence of something!"

"Everything is an absence of what it is not" I countered.

"And what about direct perception?"

"There is no direct perception".

Granted, I wasnt a good debater, but at least I managed to get everyone totally confused.

Nicholai Grozni pages 185 to 188, Turtle Feet: The Making and Unmaking of a Buddhist Monk.

Corboy note: Grozny's reply would have fit perfectly with Zen Buddhism.

But I quote this to demonstrate how different the much vaunted Vajrayana debate is from what Westerners assume to be debate.

Vajrayana debate is indoctrination and a ritual re-affirmation of power structures.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.