Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: kartik ()
Date: July 31, 2012 09:08PM

Steve and everyone,
In case DW does find a way to take this video off youtube it might be a good idea to download it and/or upload it on your channels. I’ve got my copy of it now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 31, 2012 09:46PM

SteveLpool
It'll be interesting to see how long it takes before DWB take this down themselves to avoid bad press.

Steve

...if a few people upload this video on their channels on youtube DWB won't be able to stop everyone.

....bizarre, isn't it, an advice coming from a buddhist teacher to treat other people like unpleasant objects on the street....

Posted by: pS1bY8pG2l ()
Date: August 01, 2012 01:11AM

"Shouldn't this video link be forwarded to the people responsible for granting DWB permission for the new centre in London? It'll be interesting to see how long it takes before DWB take this down themselves to avoid bad press."

Yes, of course it should! Steve, find out the responsible people and mail it to them? I am not from London otherwise I would do it. Take action instead of asking.

I will post it on my blog.

Micaela

Posted by: warrenz ()
Date: August 01, 2012 02:55AM

@SteveLpool

While of course radical Islam is abhorrent, we should not let these fanatics color our view of all Muslims.

Nydahl is not raising awareness of something we do not know about already. He is expressing his own bias and knee-jerk reaction. I can think of no other Buddhist teacher who would reply to the question - What do I do with difficult and aggressive people - with the answer - treat them like dog shit and mace them if they get up in your face!

I would have expected the answer from a genuine teacher to be - try to understand why they behave like they do - show compassion because their anger is born of suffering . One of the Buddha's fundamental teachings: "Anger is not overcome by anger but by love alone". At least remember that a difficult person represents an opportunity to develop patience and compassion - they are your teacher! Something like that.

Ole clearly understands nothing of the Buddha's message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 02:56AM by warrenz.

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: August 01, 2012 03:22AM

Mirrored here: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: August 01, 2012 03:26AM

Hi warrenz.

I hoped I'd made it clear that I do not support Nydahls solution to the problem of radical Islam when I suggested his approach overlooks the possibility of educating and reforming. He gives the impression he would like to use force and I recall him saying something of the same some years ago when he regretted his age was a factor in him being unable to take the fight to them.

So while I acknowledge the human rights abuses carried out by some sections of the Muslim community I in no way support Nydahls approach in dealing with it.

Steve

Date: August 01, 2012 04:59AM

I recall a comment Ole made just recently, it was made rather in a smaller circle, that if he gets too old to carry a gun he would shoot at muslims while sitting in his wheel chair. I am normally pretty immune to this kind of anger loaded statements but that seemed a bit too much coming from a mouth of supposedly a budhdist teacher.

I absolutely agree with Steve that radical muslims have shaken the world with their atrocities. However, cultivating anger in your followers will only cause more grief and suffering.

Date: August 01, 2012 05:28AM

~*~ k a t e ~*~
Mirrored here: [www.youtube.com]
Same here [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jamgon ()
Date: August 02, 2012 04:16AM

Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way BuddhismHi folks,
Been following this thread for a while now. I've just come across this video on youtube:[www.youtube.com]

When you are being confronted by someone aggressive first try to disengage by not taking the bait - act as if you want "nothing to do" with them.

If you are being physically attacked try to use non-violent means of defence. If pepper spray is legal in your country carry it with you and use if directly threatened. This will prevent serious harm done to the attacker (if you can fight) or yourself (if you cannot).

What an eminently sensible, practical piece of advice, in response to a direct question! Very Buddhist, too - avoid or minimise harm.

There is just one harm-avoidance strategy missing in Lama Ole's explanation - do not go where you are likely to get into trouble. This used to be easier to implement when it was enough not to visit countries or suburbs where one was likely to be harrassed, abused, attacked. But these days even the centres of the European cities can be dangerous:

[www.sponsume.com]

so this strategy is of limited usefulness.

Peace

Posted by: suenam ()
Date: August 02, 2012 06:53AM

jamgon
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way BuddhismHi folks,
Been following this thread for a while now. I've just come across this video on youtube:[www.youtube.com]

When you are being confronted by someone aggressive first try to disengage by not taking the bait - act as if you want "nothing to do" with them.

If you are being physically attacked try to use non-violent means of defence. If pepper spray is legal in your country carry it with you and use if directly threatened. This will prevent serious harm done to the attacker (if you can fight) or yourself (if you cannot).

What an eminently sensible, practical piece of advice, in response to a direct question! Very Buddhist, too - avoid or minimise harm.

There is just one harm-avoidance strategy missing in Lama Ole's explanation - do not go where you are likely to get into trouble. This used to be easier to implement when it was enough not to visit countries or suburbs where one was likely to be harrassed, abused, attacked. But these days even the centres of the European cities can be dangerous:

[www.sponsume.com]

so this strategy is of limited usefulness.

Peace
Yes, we know cities can be dangerous places, but why would anyone assume they were being targeted on religious grounds?

In the comments section to the link you provided and it seems some other people have also assumed that it is about Islam. In the video, both the person asking and Nydal also fail to question this assumption.
There is even an exchange between someone anonymous who says,
- "This is happening in hart of BRUSSELS? Islam is really on the move. That is for sure! There are two things you can do; Go into submission or beat these primitives a lesson! Don't count on your government, they have no idea! And buy pepperspray!"

The person who posted the video responds by saying,
- "Hi! Thanks for your comment! You can not just ascribe it to 'Islam' though: I have muslim friends who don't treath women like this, so there must be more to it... Hopefully I can tell you more in a few weeks! ;) Greetings, Sofie"

It seems quite clear that automatically linking the issue of being threatened in the street to a religious issue like DWB does shows a willful prejudice and ignorance based on a false generalization which creates an unnecessary division in the whole society.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 07:09AM by suenam.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.