Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 27, 2012 03:33AM

Full disclosure: author of that article may be involved with Friends of the Western Buddhist Order.

Neverthless, his phrase "evidence we are only just starting to disentangle what the Tibetans brought with them out of their long seclusion." -- that phrase ties in with what others are learning.

I strongly recommend finding and reading Civilized Shamans by Geoffrey Samuel. He is respectful of the cultures and various practices of the Tibetan region, but he very clearly makes clear that Vajrayarana in all of its forms, and even in the Gelukpa form, is heavily interwoven with shamanic practice.

He also noted that except for brief periods, parts of Tibet, especially Lhasa, were not isolated. Lhasa sat astride an important trade route. The Tibetans got cultural input from India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and Mongolia.

Theravedan Buddhism in Sri Lanka developed different, because stable monarchies kept things steady and had a stake in monasteries remaining reasonably disciplined. Shamanic animist practices were important to laypeople but didtn play much of a role in clerical Theravedan Buddhism.

By contrast, Samuel pointed out that much of Tibet remained regional and isolated, there was no one ruler who had total control, lots of areas were free to live out their lives. There was very much more scope for eccentric lamas to cultivate their own interpretations.

People could easily slip away from Buddhism back into shamanic practices, due to living in isolated areas.

There was no overlord power to impose quality control or decorum. Samuel noted that the Geluks and the Dalai Lamas were not representative of all of Tibet.

He notes too that after the 1957 diaspora Westerners became important sources of support--financial and otherwise.

And this is all said by someone who has affection for the culture---but has not become its lackey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 27, 2012 03:41AM

Note the author of the article I referred to teaches and practices in the Triratna Buddhist Order, formerly known as the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order.

[fwbo-news.blogspot.com]

[fwbo-files.com]

Still, his written insights about the TB situation are an interesting addition to the discussion.

Back now to Ole N and his Tibetan/Sikkhimese enablers.

Date: July 27, 2012 09:55PM

A point of comparison--The Yeshe Tsogyal Foundation

Creating first steps to a culture of accountablity in Nepal. So..time for the US, the UK and other Western cash rich nations, to demand the same of Tibetan Buddhist leaders.

[www.causes.com]

Posted by: suenam ()
Date: July 29, 2012 04:44AM

A 2011 article by Burkhard Scherer (a student of Nydahl) called, "Macho Buddhism: Gender and Sexualities in the Diamond Way"

[canterbury.academia.edu]

where he describes Nydahl's use of gender stereotypes, limited understanding, and his movement from overt homophobia to what he now calls a mild homophobia. As you would expect, he uses the "hermeneutics of recovery" to attempt some form of explanation, however I think his descriptions seem fairly accurate, despite the positive spin he attempts to provide.

- "...Nydahl's propogation of a counter-feminist, extremely conservative gender stereotype can be interpreted as consistent with hetero-normative elements of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition" p.92

- "Nydahl's rather limited capability to comprehend the diversity of human sexualities and gender identities leads one to question if he is thereby limiting insight into the fluidity of reality, which includes gender and sexualities and is crucial for Buddhist thought and can provide many liberating social impulses. In line with Buddhist fluid interpretation of human identities, Nydahl expresses the view that sexual preference can change, but uses this only to reinforce his hetero-normative stance."
p.100

- "While there is evidence for the interpretation of Nydahl's current views on non-heterosexualities as reluctantly neutral or only mildly homophobic, the hetero-machismo attitude among a large part of his studentship especially in Central and Eastern Europe is still creating a difficult and occasionally openly homo-/transphobic atmosphere in the Diamond Way." p.101

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 04:52AM by suenam.

Posted by: warrenz ()
Date: July 29, 2012 06:02PM

suenam
A 2011 article by Burkhard Scherer (a student of Nydahl) called, "Macho Buddhism: Gender and Sexualities in the Diamond Way"

[canterbury.academia.edu]

Well it would appear that Scherer is not above a little mild criticism of Ole when it touches an issue close to his own heart.

Frankly, as an academic myself (in an entirely different field), I don't like it when people use their own personal religious convictions as the basis of their research. In Scherer's case, I would think it would undermine his credibility as a researcher. He has written several articles on DWB which show an awareness of the issues around it and Ole but often soft-peddle, excuse or justify. Not knowing the research community around Buddhist studies but if it is like nearly any other I have encountered, I can't imagine stuff like this goes unchallenged.

Date: July 30, 2012 04:25AM

warrenz
Well it would appear that Scherer is not above a little mild criticism of Ole...
I guess it depends upon your perspective, but the implications seem quite profound for someone in Nydahl's position.

Scherer juxtaposes Hannah's understanding (in footnote 43) with Ole's "essentialism"
- from my perspective this implies that Hannah understood the doctrine of emptiness, in contrast to Ole.

Posted by: kartik ()
Date: July 30, 2012 02:42PM

Hi folks,
Been following this thread for a while now. I've just come across this video on youtube:[www.youtube.com]
Ole Nydahl suggests the way to treat moslems. The recording appears to be quite recent. Hard stuff.

Posted by: warrenz ()
Date: July 31, 2012 01:20AM

suenam
I guess it depends upon your perspective, but the implications seem quite profound for someone in Nydahl's position.

Scherer juxtaposes Hannah's understanding (in footnote 43) with Ole's "essentialism"
- from my perspective this implies that Hannah understood the doctrine of emptiness, in contrast to Ole.

I don't think you have to deconstruct Ole's books to see that he does not understand basic Buddhist concepts. If he had any real understanding of the Buddha's teaching he would not behave like he does in the video posted by Kartik.

@Kartik

What a schmuck that guys is! I really don't think anyone can deny he has links to the Eastern European Far Right when says thinks like that.

Date: July 31, 2012 03:38AM

warrenz
I don't think you have to deconstruct Ole's books to see that he does not understand basic Buddhist concepts. If he had any real understanding of the Buddha's teaching he would not behave like he does in the video posted by Kartik.

@Kartik

What a schmuck that guys is! I really don't think anyone can deny he has links to the Eastern European Far Right when says thinks like that.
I suspect the question itself was a set-up to enable Nydahl to showcase his fearless macho response to his own imagined fears and prejudices.
Just like the gender issue, he seems to only deal in stereotypes based on the grossest generalizations.

The deconstruction was more aimed at those who have only learned Nydahl's version of the 'way things are', and who we've seen on this thread, seem unable or unwilling to view them critically. I was previously quite skeptical of the idea that DWB uses brainwashing, but I'm starting to see just how the spread of Nydahl's ignorance is being amplified through the rest of the organisation.

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: July 31, 2012 08:23PM

I think anyone with an ounce of common sense wouldn't have to ask the question posed to Nydahl, "how to behave if one is confronted with direct agression from the Muslims".

The answer is the same if confronted by any aggressor if you are unable to call the police, defend yourself with reasonable or equal force. If you are talking about hostile attitudes or threats then this should always be reported to the relevant authorities thereby avoiding the risk of breaking the law ourselves.

I find it difficult to believe that the person in the audience doesn't know this. Therefore I can only assume the question is loaded. I makes me think this is someone who doesn't believe the law is performing the right actions in his/her opinion and is seeking justification or acknowledgment of their own ideas from a man who is a well known anti-Islamist. Nydahl just welcomes people who harbour the same prejudices as him.

He also suggests carrying pepper spray but I'm unclear if this is only for use against Muslims or any agressor.

We mustn't bury our heads in the sand and fail to acknowledge there are elements within the Muslim community who clearly violate human rights. Women are stoned to death for adultery while the men often remain unpunished. There are the acid burnings of women who spurn a suitors advances. Thieves may have their hands and/or feet amputated. Only today I read a story on the BBC about an unwed couple in Mali being stoned to death. I'm not sure I disagree with Nydahl raising an awareness of these issues but there is a difference between wanting to educate with an aim to reform and with encouraging people to carry pepper spray in case you feel the need to use it against a Muslim.

But Nydahl clearly has an agenda against Muslims because he never focuses on human rights abuses in general. Only those perpetrated by Muslims. I spoke to many students who expressed their hatred for Islam and could only repeat Nydahls accounts.

Shouldn't this video link be forwarded to the people responsible for granting DWB permission for the new centre in London? It'll be interesting to see how long it takes before DWB take this down themselves to avoid bad press.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.