Current Page: 87 of 197
Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 09, 2011 09:23PM

VSo for me Nydahl does have some valid points with regards to Islam but my problem is that the comments don't take into account the good and moderate Muslims who are being tainted by these comments. His comments are then picked up by members of his congregation who have made overtly racist remarks to me. Because Nydahl is their 'Guru' they accept his views without question, more often than not because they re-affirm their own prejudices.

It is the teachers responsiblity to be well aware of social context and to know which subject matter is most at risk of being misunderstood--and to take care to address those areas of pre-existing bias head-on.

Some topics of conversation, such as the comments about Islam are, in this day and age, the conversational equivalent of petrol.

Petrol, when put in the correct recepticle, can accomplish much good.

If carelessly splashed about and in the presence of an open flame, it can start a ghastly conflagration.

If Ole lets himself be honoured as Lama, sits on the high throne and has people doting on him, he must reciprocate all that by correcting pre-existing biases that his students are likely to bring in from the outside.

This does not mean avoiding difficult topics of conversation, it means offering a model of Dharma conversation in which one can discuss Islam while very firmly quashing any tendencies to take any element of that discussion as justifying pre-existing bigotry.

Petrol can start fires. We dont stop using it, we adopt safety precautions when using it.

Ditto for right speech when dealing with controversial topics where emotions are already running high.

For Ole to take precautions in what he says is not to infantalize listeners--its to recognize where they are already reactive, and to model a way to live and communicate where one is not enslaved by moods and afflictive emotions that are currently fashionable in society at large.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: suenam ()
Date: September 09, 2011 10:48PM

SteveLpool
That said, his comments on the treatment of women in some Muslim countries are often accurate. Women may feel that the wearing of the burka is their own free choice but the actual suggestion that women cover themselves is a male idea. I don't think women should be made to feel that they should cover themselves to such a degree so as not to be a distraction or stir feelings of desire in men. It's the men who should be able to practice more restraint!!!

True as this is, Nydahl's comments seem to me to lack perspective. How many years has it been since Europe relaxed its attitude towards female dress? We like to think that the western developed countries are somehow "free", but are not without similar issues, for example male governed industries prescibing female appearances. Are we really so free from repression and neurosis ourselves?

A friend of mine even remarked how she tried to get a mortgage in England in the 1970's and the bank manager regarded her with total incredulity.

Equally for the situation regarding poverty and AIDS in Africa, one only has to read accounts of London in Victorian times to see something very similar.

Is the recent rise of religious fundamentalism merely an issue involving Islam versus the west? Isn't the rise of Christian fundamentalism also an issue for progressive societies?

I have never heard any other Lama concern themselves so much with how women are treated in other countries by other religions, especially in the light of the questions concerning his own motivation towards women.
Equally, why does he choose to draw a line based upon religious differences rather than between progressive and fundamentalist tendencies within religions in general? Again here, his motivation for this seems questionable at best.

Nydahl's comments seem short-sighted in themselves, and in regard to the point made by Corboy, to make them in front of such an audience would seems to be downright irresponsible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 10:54PM by suenam.

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: September 09, 2011 11:29PM

Hi Corboy and Suenam.

I agree 100% with you comments. Recently in the UK, and I believe in other western cities, their have been 'slut walks' where women and men have rightly taken to the streets in protest againt the comments of either a politician or police chief (I can't remember the official position). His comments suggested that women who have been subjected to sexual assaults and rape my have been complicit if the were wearing short skirts and/or low cut tops. So I agree that the same idiotic prejudices still exist in our 'civilized western societies'.

The poverty in Victorian England was eradicated to a large extent upon our national wealth built by imperialist expansion and the exploitation of what we refer to now as 'developing countries'. When the debt repayments of these countries to governments like the British far outstrips the gross national product of these countires you can see that western governments have very little interest in helping these people escape poverty. Pharmaceutical companies become very rich selling their drugs to these nations.

But back to Nydahl. He misses a great opportunity to educate his flock to the human rights abuses that take place in all cultures (British soldiers torturing an Iraqi man to death). The fact that he only focuses on Islam and immigrants of colour exposes where his prejudices lie.

I still fail to see what place his comments have in the context of a Dharma talk.

As I tried to point out to some of his 'bright, independent thinking students' on several occassions. There is a reason why Britain and America are hated by some/many in the middle east. It is because of our past and present foreign policies. Surely this is a great example of how karma works. Our previous government planted the seeds for this conflict and our current governments are happily sowing more seeds now. Surely we should be sowing seed for future harmony not further resentment. For Nydahl to claim he wishes he were young enough to bear arms is an incitement to racial hatred.

Steve

Posted by: vickithewitch ()
Date: September 10, 2011 02:52AM

Hello everybody.
I am Verica Stojimirovic from Serbia. I am now finishing one book dedicated to Ole Nydhal. I was in his Sanhga 3 years and very quickly and intelligently ;) after 3 years, successfully noticed that sincere speech of some woman is not so desired and favorite. I have many experiences similar to experiences described and exposed on this forum; moreover, I have many very different, unusual experiences. I found you in February 2011. Unfortunately, do not see any one personal FEMALE EXPERIENCE – those women who sleep with him very “wisely” kip silence. Maybe - it is reason that poor Ole never slept with me – obviously, because, I would not keep silence – no chance. Ole Nudhal did not show compassion for me - he does not like papers and words, he likes pure meat, without brain, and help exclusively women who fuck.Moreover, I want only tell you: Ole Nydhal absolutely follow Buddhist style, if Padmashambava could do the same, why Ole and other Lamas cannot? For me right question is: Some patriarchal religion like Buddhism is modern today as well as in 8 century – what is means? Humans are CRAZY!? Women are sheep?! In addition, what do these 500-1000 enlighten women who Ole enlighten with sex? Why our wonderful world is not paradise after Padmashambava’s and Ole’s actions
Now I am here in opponent tabor. Do you have compassion for me or only speak empty story like Ole?
So, I am searching for 1.native English speaker and 2. Who know well Tibetan Buddhism for professional reading of the book. If somebody want to help me send me message on my mail: vickeythewitch@gmail.com
Greetings from Enchanted Kingdom Of Serbia.

Posted by: dariusb ()
Date: September 10, 2011 04:47PM

vickithewitch
Hello everybody.
I am Verica Stojimirovic from Serbia. I am now finishing one book dedicated to Ole Nydhal. I was in his Sanhga 3 years and very quickly and intelligently ;) after 3 years, successfully noticed that sincere speech of some woman is not so desired and favorite. I have many experiences similar to experiences described and exposed on this forum; moreover, I have many very different, unusual experiences. I found you in February 2011. Unfortunately, do not see any one personal FEMALE EXPERIENCE – those women who sleep with him very “wisely” kip silence. Maybe - it is reason that poor Ole never slept with me – obviously, because, I would not keep silence – no chance. Ole Nudhal did not show compassion for me - he does not like papers and words, he likes pure meat, without brain, and help exclusively women who fuck.Moreover, I want only tell you: Ole Nydhal absolutely follow Buddhist style, if Padmashambava could do the same, why Ole and other Lamas cannot? For me right question is: Some patriarchal religion like Buddhism is modern today as well as in 8 century – what is means? Humans are CRAZY!? Women are sheep?! In addition, what do these 500-1000 enlighten women who Ole enlighten with sex? Why our wonderful world is not paradise after Padmashambava’s and Ole’s actions
Now I am here in opponent tabor. Do you have compassion for me or only speak empty story like Ole?
So, I am searching for 1.native English speaker and 2. Who know well Tibetan Buddhism for professional reading of the book. If somebody want to help me send me message on my mail: vickeythewitch@gmail.com
Greetings from Enchanted Kingdom Of Serbia.
Hi Verica
would you mind to explain few thinks?
i am not sure I understand comparison between Ole and Padmasambava?

Date: September 10, 2011 10:38PM

A thoughtful discussion here

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

What you and Ole are failing to see is how crudely and unfairly you conflate the political with the religious, and how you sweep all Islamic persons and states together under one (extremist) brush.

You are quick to denounce moderate Muslims for failing to speak up ~ but they do, consistently.

Criticising the Iranian state, I think, is well justified. Criticising the Iranian people on the basis of their state is not well justified.

Critising the political ideology of Al Qaeda is well justified. Criticising the billions of Muslim people who do not support or endorse Al Qaeda is not well justified.

To opine publicly on a religion which one knows nothing about is of course an expression of ignorance: as Buddhists, we all know exactly how it feels when some idiot from outside of the tradition makes ridiculous and unfounded claims about Buddhism because s/he flicked through a couple of Sutras.

Islam, as it far as I know, is a deeply scholarly tradition: you can't just pick up the Koran and interpret it literally without reference to the centuries of contested theology.

(Likewise),you can't just pick up Nagarjuna and expect to get it.

The Muslims I have encountered in various parts of the world have been almost universally good natured, kind, hospitable, charitable. They deserve at least not be judged on what a few bad eggs have done. If you do not know their tradition, as I assume neither of us & Ole really do, we have no basis on which to criticise. A basic standpoint of respect is warranted.

:anjali:
tobes

Re: Lama Ole Nydahl, what do you think?
Postby Dechen » Fri May 20, 2011 4:35 am

YOu can find out other information about Ole and also any other teachers/centers who have had questions raised about them here:
[viewonbuddhism.org]

it is worth checking and looking for a solid teacher.

The path is easily lost.

best wishes
Dechen

Postby heart » Fri May 20, 2011 4:41 am
tobes wrote:
freethinker108 wrote:I fail to see your point.

What you and Ole are failing to see is how crudely and unfairly you conflate the political with the religious, and how you sweep all Islamic persons and states together under one (extremist) brush. You are quick to denounce moderate Muslims for failing to speak up ~ but they do, consistently.

Criticising the Iranian state, I think, is well justified. Criticising the Iranian people on the basis of their state is not well justified. Critising the political ideology of Al Qaeda is well justified. Criticising the billions of Muslim people who do not support or endorse Al Qaeda is not well justified.

To opine publicly on a religion which one knows nothing about is of course an expression of ignorance: as Buddhists, we all know exactly how it feels when some idiot from outside of the tradition makes ridiculous and unfounded claims about Buddhism because s/he flicked through a couple of Sutras.

Islam, as it far as I know, is a deeply scholarly tradition: you can't just pick up the Koran and interpret it literally without reference to the centuries of contested theology. Just like you can't just pick up Nagarjuna and expect to get it.

The Muslims I have encountered in various parts of the world have been almost universally good natured, kind, hospitable, charitable. They deserve at least not be judged on what a few bad eggs have done.

If you do not know their tradition, as I assume neither of us & Ole really do, we have no basis on which to criticise. A basic standpoint of respect is warranted.

:anjali:

Thanks tobes, it is all a question of respect. But also as username said:

Islamic Fundamentalism is an evil mandala but slowly over some generations, short historic term, it will be buried forever. Don't align yourself with a bigger evil mandala of warmongers that will last longer.

(Corboy interjection: making inflammatory remarks about Muslims is to have the mentality of a warmonger whilst sitting on the[teachers throne--a tragedy. This to become the entity one claims to oppose.)/b]

/magnus
heart

Postby Dechen » Fri May 20, 2011 5:01 am

Astus wrote:

This topic has been about Ole against Islam, Ole's title(s), Ole and the karmapas.

What about Ole and his Buddhism?

If there is a teacher to be checked on his status as a teacher, shouldn't it be his teachings investigated first of all? No wonder that it's easy to mislead people when nobody gives a damn about what is actually being taught.

His ACTIONS are what is being taught :). So if he lays claim to titles that he has not earned according to the tradition he purports to represent, that is an important fact that people deserve to know when deciding whether his "teachings" are true to the Buddha's intentions.

"It is also too often true that people hide behind the precepts and practice in secret the opposite of what they preach. ... What must be done to retrieve Original Innocence, our natural virtue? I don’t believe it is by putting on something that isn’t who we are. Wearing feathers does not make us a flying bird. ... we lay down the road in the walking. Truth is to be found where one’s foot is. ”

For a Future to be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life
By Thich Nhat Hanh
Parallax Press, Berkeley, CA, 2007. ppviii-xi.

It is better to find out as much as you can about a teacher first, once you have sat in the group with all the others it is harder to see with "beginner's eyes" and notice what is on offer moment by moment.
Dechen

Posted by: grainne uaile ()
Date: September 18, 2011 08:28PM

I had hoped to get Marte, who has posted her own experiences with Ole Nydahl on my blog to post over here, but her suggestion is to just post the link:

[downthecrookedpath-meditation-gurus.blogspot.com]

A note to those who are members of Ole Nydahl: I will not be posting any posts that you make there, unless I make a group of them and make another post, but I will not allow Marte to be verbally abused.

It just goes to show that Emma C. isn't the only person who is willing to speak out. It is hard for me to imagine how this Ole Nydahl can continue to practice, but then it seems like if you are in a religion, you can do what you want to people.

Posted by: Alexander Nevsky ()
Date: September 23, 2011 05:53AM

suenam
Equally, why does he choose to draw a line based upon religious differences rather than between progressive and fundamentalist tendencies within religions in general?

Suenam thank you for writing that. Well said. This is exactly the sentence I was waiting for.

Posted by: Alexander Nevsky ()
Date: September 26, 2011 06:48PM

Do you know what I wonder about. I knew three people who gave away their properties to Diamondway. Two of them were in their late twenties or early thirties when they did. I also knew people who took serious personal loans to sponsor an apartment for DD center. I wonder, years after, did they have any regrets. When it came to starting their families and investing in future of their children. Have they ever reached a realisation that they got rid of their important assets and investments?
If you take a young person, who just inherited a grandparents’ house, and this person wants to impress a group and earn a position in a diamondway center. The person still being young and inexperienced and not having started his/her own family yet, does not fully realize what will matter in ten years time. At this stage to impress the group and to gain a position in diamondway hierarchy seems to be more of importance rather than thinking of one’s own future and planning of a financial safety of one own family.
I really feel there is a question here whether young people should act as generous benefactors; being strongly influenced by a group and not being able to make a fully informed decision.
I remember when I was twenty and something, I expressed my opinion in a discussion in diamondway centre; one of teachers responded that he made sacrifices by giving his property away to diamondway and what did I do. I remember being very impressed by that taking into account the reverence the teacher was surrounded by and for a long time I felt as I actually should also make such sacrifice if I was serious about my practice. Luckily I didn’t own anything at that time. If I did, who knows, what I would have done. Years latter I can only thank my family they didn’t make me an owner of family assets at the stage when I was a diamondawy member.

Date: September 26, 2011 11:26PM

Recent advances in neurology have given us solid knowledge that human decision making capacity is not fully matured until age 25--and that is if a person has had a good upbringing.

A young person with money who lacks impulse control and doesnt yet have family obligations can be seduced by someone like Ole Nydhal into givinw away much too much--a modern equivalent of William Hogarth's Rakes Progress

(This is a series of six paintings, afterward made into prints, a visual novel depicting a young man inherits a fortune, is immediately surrounded by persons who show him how to spend it. Here in this 18th century scene, you have a swarm of hustlers offering skills valued in that era by the upcoming rich.

[www.darvillsrareprints.com]

Today imagine the new heir surrounded by luxury car salespersons, a fancy computer/entertainment system being unloaded by UPS or DHL or HM Mail, a messenger arriving with tickets, others offering trunk shows of clothing and jewelry and a swarm of well dressed New Age touts and some persons in Buddhist robes with the Excel spreadsheet open on thier laptops.

[www.google.com]

When you are young and healthy and do not yet have dependents (children, elderly parents to care for), it is impossible to understand the value of money.

These days, if you have a good heart and sensitive conscience, it is tempting to feel shame and guilt at ones good fortune---qualities that can readily be exploited by vultures.

If you are young and have money, you have less privacy in the matter than you might realize. People can look up court records and find out who has inherited a windfall. Some make a profession of doing exactly that. Sharp eyed types can catch on if you dont seem to fret about money or have to work a day job as most others do.

If a young person is below age 25 and is socialized by a group or teacher celebrating machismo, impulsiveness (eg Ole Nydahl), even past age 25, it can be difficult to retain mature reflection and impulse control--as witness what happens when dangerous urban riots ignite.

And some, even well past age 25, remain brats for life--such as Ole Nydhal. The macho posturing, the impulsive acting out. For persons who fear getting old and decrepit, people like Ole can reassure them that one can last longer.

Persons who are decent and repressed may get a vicarious thrill witnessing and hearing of Ole Nydhal's permanent Bacchanal---indulgence of impulses most of us would be punished for, but that he gets admired for in the strange fake buddhist society he has created and that legitimate authorities such as the Karmapa are too cowardly to reprimand. Ole has money and no one has the guts to silence him.

Alexander Nevsky is spot on. No responsible guru or teacher would encourge anyone, especially a young person, to give away crippling sums of money.

*No one person should be a large donor or known to be such--the danger of flattery is too great and other, poorer members can fear they have no influence or value in the group.

*donations should remain confidential in any case, so that large donors cannot be targeted for flattery.

*Anyone known to have large sums of money should be encouraged to never to mention it. THe hazard of exploitation is much too great.

In some states of the US, it is now understood that persons are not fully mature in decision making capacity until age 21.

A result of this has been, in some states, the innovation of a 'graduated drivers license' for minors.

[www.google.com]

Driver Services

Graduated Driver License

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permit Phase - Drivers Age 15 | Initial Licensing Phase - Drivers Age 16-17 | Full Licensing Phase - Drivers 18-20 | Laws Parents and Teens Should Know | Frequently Asked Questions | Teen Driver Safety | Publications & Forms | Contact Us |

Permit Phase Drivers Age 15

Parent/guardian consent required to obtain an instruction permit.
Must be enrolled in an approved driver education course, and must pass vision and written exams.
A nighttime driving restriction is in place Sunday-Thursday, 10 p.m-6 a.m., and Friday-Saturday, 11 p.m.-6 a.m. (local curfews may differ from the nighttime driving restriction).
Permit must be held for a minimum of nine months.
Must practice driving a minimum of 50 hours, including 10 hours of nighttime driving, supervised by a parent or adult age 21 or older with a valid driver's license.
Must not acquire any driving convictions during the nine-month permit phase.
Number of passengers limited to one in the front seat and the number of safety belts in the back seat.
All occupants under age 19 must wear safety belts.
Cell phone use while driving is prohibited except in the case of an emergency to contact a law enforcement agency, health care provider or emergency services agency.
Permit is valid for up to two years.
Sanctions

Limit of one court supervision for serious driving offenses. To obtain court supervision, driver must appear in person before the presiding court with a parent or legal guardian and must also attend traffic safety school.
Conviction of a moving violation results in a nine-month waiting period before applying for a driver's license.
Not eligible for any hardship permit.
Anyone caught driving without a permit will be ineligible to obtain a driver's license until age 18.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Licensing Phase - Drivers Age 16-17

Parent/guardian must certify that a minimum of 50 hours of practice driving, including 10 hours of nighttime driving, has been completed.
Parent/guardian must accompany teen to provide written consent to obtain a driver's license, OR complete and notarize an Affidavit/Consent For Minor to Drive form.
Must have completed a state-approved driver education course.
A nighttime driving restriction is in place Sunday-Thursday, 10 p.m-6 a.m., and Friday-Saturday, 11 p.m.-6 a.m. (local curfews may differ from the nighttime driving restriction).
Must maintain a conviction-free driving record for six months prior to turning age 18 before moving to the Full Licensing Phase. A traffic conviction during the initial licensing phase may extend restrictions beyond age 18.
All occupants under age 19 must wear safety belts.
For the first year of licensing, or until the driver is age 18, whichever occurs first, the number of passengers is limited to one person under age 20, unless the additional passenger(s) is a sibling, step-sibling, child, or step-child of the driver. After this period, the number of passengers is limited to one in the front seat and the number of safety belts in the back seat.
Cell phone use while driving is prohibited except in the case of an emergency to contact a law enforcement agency, health care provider or emergency services agency.
Sanctions

Limit one court supervision for serious offenses. To obtain court supervision, a driver must appear in person before the presiding court with a parent or legal guardian and must also attend traffic safety school.
Conviction of any moving violation before age 18 generates a Secretary of State warning letter to the parent and teenager.
Two moving violation convictions occurring within a 24-month period results in a minimum one-month driver's license suspension. Suspension length is determined by the seriousness of the offenses and the driver's prior driving history. An additional driver's license suspension will result for each subsequent moving violation following the initial suspension.
Any moving violation conviction that occurs within the first year of licensure will result in a six-month extension of the passenger limitation, which allows no more than one unrelated passenger under age 20.
Suspended drivers are required to attend a remedial education course, may be retested and must pay a $70 reinstatement fee.

Full Licensing Phase - Drivers 18-20

No age-related restrictions apply except in cases where a driver fails to move from the Initial Licensing Phase to the Full Licensing Phase. Cell phone use while driving for persons under age 19 is prohibited except in the case of an emergency to contact a law enforcement agency, health care provider or emergency services agency.
Sanctions

Limit one court supervision for serious offenses.
Two moving violation convictions occurring within a 24-month period results in a minimum one-month driver's license suspension. Suspension length is determined by the seriousness of the offenses and the driver's prior driving history. An additional driver's license suspension will result for each subsequent moving violation following the initial suspension.
Suspended drivers are required to pay a $70 reinstatement fee.

Automobiles and money are power. It is too bad if someone inherits while young and is not given careful instruction, as a new heir, on the hazards that away and the value of saving for a rainy day.

Current Page: 87 of 197

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.