I need help identifying a cult
Posted by: southerncross ()
Date: August 02, 2008 10:00PM

Hello, all. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer here. I have a brother who in most folks opinion has the *perfect life*. Beautiful wife, new baby, great job, and family money that goes back generations on our side. He literally wants for nothing. He's in his low 30's, so no mid-life crisis. That's all the good. Now the bad. There is some young woman, maybe 20 or so, that works with him that is just making it her life's work to get real far into his life, personal and work related. His wife seems to have no knowledge of it so far. This is going on several months now, and from all appearances seems to be pretty involved at this point.

Now my question. I was told yesterday, that this girl and her mother and siblings are part of a *cult* whose stated goal is to have their female followers find young, successful, married men, and break up their marriages, whether it be for personal gain or to hurt careers. I have no way of knowing the veracity of these statements, but I am wondering if anyone has heard of such a group, or whether this was just gossip.

Again, either way, I appreciate any knowledge someone cares to share, as I am very concerned and am trying to determine my battle plan...

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need help identifying a cult
Posted by: omondi ()
Date: August 03, 2008 10:16PM

this sound like a bad cult. i don't know who it can be. but if you find it let me know because maybe they also in kenya where we have many cults

Posted by: karen ()
Date: August 04, 2008 03:46PM

I think a cult is when there is one set of "doctrines" to believe in and everybody else is seen as wrong.
There's nothing wrong with a Pastor having the authority but a person should be able to question that authority as they wish. They should be able to get straight answers to questions they have and they should not be afraid to disagree.
A cult, to me, is a place where a person is told not to fellowship outside of that congregation, except when needed, and to do it without any other feelings in mind but to win that person over to Christ.
We live in a vast world of people and it seems strange to me that people calling themselves "Christians" would think like that. A good church and a good Pastor would tell his flock to mingle with the saved AND the lost, and that it's ok not to always be focused on what the Bible says. It's ok to go bowling with your friends and just be a friend without the preaching.
A cult says they are the truth, way, and the light and there is no light to be found in any other place. I say a good Pastor will tell his flock that he doesn't own his flock as a possession and that they are free to look around.
If the Pastor starts telling you to seperate yourself from family and friends that disagree with the Church you are attending, I'd run as fast as I could out of that place.
A Church is just a building, if you ask me.
God is everywhere. Right?

Melanie Townsend
California

Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: August 05, 2008 11:32AM

Hi southerncross,

That's a funny aim for a cult to have. It's a new one for to me.

I'd firstly treat it as an issue of some young woman trying to muscle in on an existing healthy marriage. Give the bloke a heads-up with regards to what is happening around him. (Us guys aren't really good with the subtle stuff. Tell it to him straight.)

If he doesn't take notice straight away and you're sure that the situation is real, then bring along a friend in common and sit down with him again.

John

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: August 05, 2008 12:46PM

Many cults use sex as a recruiting tool, sometimes very overtly, some more subtley.
For example, the Raelians advertise they are about sex.

What is the name of this group, or cult?
If its a mainstream group there would be info about it.

But using sex is very common in cultish groups.

Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: August 05, 2008 01:37PM

I would have to second Anticult's observation. Cults will often inject themselves in between spouses and force the one spouse in the cult to choose between the other spouse and the cult. Given that you said your brother is well off, he would be a primary target for cultic recruiters. Keep in mind, most cults are, in the end, about amassing wealth. The psychological manipulations and abuses that they employ are a means to this end.

Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: August 05, 2008 01:42PM

But first, nip it in the bud ... so to speak. Before it gets to be a situation with the complexity of cult involvement. Much easier to deal with.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.