looking for info on "twelve tribes"
Posted by: willow ()
Date: July 09, 2004 01:03PM

Hello Everyone! I stumbled on this forum in my quest for information on a community that my daughter has resently joined. I am praying that someone can help me as my research is leading me to beleive she may have joined a cult. They are a farming community in southern British Columbia, Canada. They also own a coffee shop in Nelson, B.C. They call themselves The Twelve Tribes and have communities all over the world. I am seeing more and more of the "warning signs" that Rick Ross wrote about. My husband and I are very worried and fear we may never see our daughter again (or our grandson). Can anyone help us?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 09, 2004 07:39PM

There is quite a bit of information available about Twelve Tribes.

See [www.culteducation.com]

They have long been called a "cult" and have a very troubled history. Their history includes child abuse allegations, child labor law violations and general complaints about the exploitation of members.

Posted by: Lakefield ()
Date: August 22, 2004 03:22PM

*shudders* I read somethings on this awhile back. I didn't think it would be so widespread.

Posted by: Ully ()
Date: September 23, 2004 07:29PM

Hi Willow,

There is a public message board on FactNet where the Twelve Tribes are discussed extensively:

[www.factnet.org]

Also, you might want to check out

[groups.yahoo.com]

That's a mailing list which has been founded by ex-members of the TT to discuss the many controversial issues surrounding the Twelve Tribes with current members and concerned "outsiders".

Kind regards,

Ully

Posted by: glam ()
Date: September 23, 2004 08:56PM

Hi! Sorry to hear about your daughter's involvement with this group. I think it's important to remain calm and not get angry about her involvement (at least not in front of her)...try your best to stay open and loving. Some groups try to separate people from their loved ones, and use loved ones' anger as a sign they should be avoided. There's information at this site about how to cope with cult involvement:

[culteducation.com]

In fact, there's a lot of info about getting help, including warning signs:

[culteducation.com]

Education and information is your best defense!

Glam

Posted by: amwrites ()
Date: June 21, 2005 10:20PM

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone knew who wrote this:

"I was a member of the Twelve Tribes. I joined because I honestly believed that I could live for God there, and that I would be taken care of. My experience with living at their farm would take hours to explain. I would just like to say that it wasn't good. I remember a big deal at a 'breaking of bread' ceremony. A brother refused to bow down to the 'loaf,' the 'Body of Yahsua.' Being new myself I could see why he was having a hard time with it and was really upset with the way that he was handled. I guess that snapped me back to reality. My mind is so overwhelmed that I can't even think about God now. I have a real hard time with religion. Now my spirit is suffering in a way that I never experienced before. I believe that what I am going through was caused by my involvement with the Twelve Tribes. They make it sound as if it is the worst form of betrayal to leave 'The Body.'"

Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.