Christ the Savior Brotherhood
Posted by: economan ()
Date: May 28, 2004 10:16AM

Does anyone here have any experience with the Christ the Savior Brotherhood in American Orthodoxy? I had the misfortune to attend one of their parishes, and they really screwed me up. I had just converted to Orthodoxy, (at a non-CSB parish) and I really didn't know anything about their history. It wasn't until after I'd left I starting looking into their past, via Rick Ross and Pokrov, and started to critically examine on my own what was going on. I ended up leaving Orthodoxy, and for the past couple of years, to put it bluntly, I've been pretty screwed up spiritually.

I don't pretend to know anything about sociology or psychology, but I do consider them a cult. Not because of any heterodox or New-Agey beliefs per se, but because they are coercive, unfogiving of people who "rock the boat," and have unquestioning obedience to their parish priests. About a month after I told the priest I was leaving the parish, I got a phone call from one of the parishoners, begging me to come back so they could psychoanalyze me to their hearts content. I politiely told him to never call me at home again.

Unfortunately, since they are very traditional in their practice, they have allies among other more traditionally inclined Orthodox, including many priests and bishops in the canonical SCOBA jurisdictions.

Not surprisingly, they also have extensive contacts with the monasteries of Elder Ephraim (in the Greek Archdiocese) and the breakaway Orthodox group in Felton, CA, who were excommunicated by the Antiochians, and are now Jerusalem Patriarchate.

I would much like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Many Thanks,

Economan

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.