Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Branded a "spiritual traitor."
Posted by: warytraveller2 ()
Date: May 27, 2004 02:59AM

Thanks rrmoderator

From the psychosis report about some Est graduates

''The defense apparatus helps people to cope and enables many to lead successful lives,'' Dr. Glass observed. ''Some people have more defenses than they need, and est perhaps could help them get rid of the excess baggage that stands in the way of personal growth. But in testing people's defenses, est doesn't differentiate between those that are adaptive and those that are maladaptive.''

I did know one woman that had a manic episode shortly after doing Est. She said it was her first episiode ever but then had subsequent manic/depressive episodes. I suppose the above quote from the article you suggested could explain why my friend had her experience while I and some others I know had a positive one. I don't know if she made the connection between her illness and doing Est at the time. She continued her participation for years. I'm not sure if it was helping or hindering her illness.

I never really made the connection until now but I also know a lot more about Manic/Depression now than I did 25 years ago.

Still couldn't find the Insight info. Is it under a different name other than Insight?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 27, 2004 06:21AM

Warytraveller2:

The only information I can recall about Insight was the site linked.

It is apparently a spin-off of Lifespring as previously stated, so follow the articles about Lifespring linked to get the general plan and structure.

The other link provided demonstrates the inherent problems with LGATs historically and generally.

They just are too risky.

The point of the psychiatric abstracts about psychosis in EST certainly isn't to recommend them to anyone. This research should cause anyone to stop and reconsider involvement with such groups.

If you want therapy, its better to go to someone licensed that is accoutable to a board etc. And without the history of groups like Landmark, EST, Lifespring and other controversial LGATs.

There are also community support groups, good books to read and always a college course to take.

No reason to bother with high-risk LGATs that have troubled histories when there are so many readily accesssible alternatives.

Posted by: randomfactor ()
Date: June 01, 2004 02:48AM

I guess I will once again test the waters here.

First, the threats did not come just from massage therapists. They came from the groups who percieve this test as ending the separation of Church and State.

Prasadam Das is correct in pointing out that massage was formerly far more scientific than spiritual. This change has only taken place in the last decade or so.

I'm not trying to attack all massage therapists or massage therapy itself. However, the movement of a harsh spiritual group into massage, who sees itself as able to attack all other beliefs using the power of civil authority, is creating huge problems.

And this perception has moved into other groups, who see this test as creating a loophole in Constitutional Rights. Many groups, like Theosophy (a major player), extreme Mormons and racist Christians, are moving in to back this. It's not the mainstream beliefs in America, but the fringe that has been motivated by this.

As I pointed out, I am quite comfortable with the beliefs themselves that appear on the NCE. But when I am told these Oriental Concepts are State-sanctioned, and thus take precedence over my freedom of religion, I am extremely uncomfortable.

Rand

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.