Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Branded a "spiritual traitor."
Posted by: randomfactor ()
Date: May 14, 2004 11:50PM

I don't even know if I'm in the right place.

I angered the local members of a national group, a group that is taking on all the appearances of a very dangerous cult. They are absolutely convinced they have found absolute Truth, and when I refused to help them spread that "truth," they branded me a spiritual traitor.

I hear a lot about how dangerous some groups are internally, but never realiized the potential dangers of being branded an "enemy" of a cult. They are actually telling members I need to be "removed" from the world.

How does one get help with something like this. People just dismiss my concerns (it's a simple belief system: nothing more). Yet their call for a world "transformation" is rapidly becoming a holy war against their many "enemies."

Number one of those enemies right now is me.

Can someone please help me here?

Random Factor

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 15, 2004 01:15AM

What is the specific name of this allegedly "cult" like group?

Date: May 15, 2004 01:51AM

Mr. Ross:

I'm actually a little afraid to say. Each time I have tried to take this on, it just gets more dangerous, especially since they have the active support of many White Supremacist groups.

The problem is in what terms itself "the Spiritual Profession of Massage." Basically, massage therapy sees itself as a religious movement, with very strict religious doctrines.

The basis of the problem is that these doctrines have been added to a test used as a test for civil licensure. And massage is actively recruiting other extremists to back this test, claiming it basically creates a new paradigm of civil rights, where the State can mandate and enforce both training and belief in specific religious training.

This test is now creating a huge mess in parts of the New Age (bad term, but there's not another in use right now) movement. Many people who hold the beliefs on the test (Oriental beliefs like Chi, the Chakras, the Intelligent Universe, etc) now see their beliefs as state backed, and even the massage magazines have labeled other beliefs as poisons.

I realize this goes well beyond what one might consider a cult. Yet it has given other extremist groups a huge boost, since the idea is that their beliefs, too, can be sanctioned by state law.

I've tried to take this on in many areas, but get told that "New Age" beliefs like this are, by definition, harmless. Yet having massage therapists brag their beliefs are "superior" to ANY religious beliefs, since the state has stamped them as true, is both ugly and scary.

I became a poster boy for this group, since I lost my license to practice massage based entirely on the fact I held "inferior" religious beliefs and was of "questionable" racial background. (white supremacy is very much a part of this now)

It's a huge mess, and growing by leaps and bounds.

I'm really just looking for support here. I realize I have a lot to prove (this sounds quite mad). Yet the first religious profession in America, who is now enforcing training and acceptance of religious doctrine using civil authority, has created an extremely scary situation.

And the "fact" that non-whites can be excluded from a civil profession has added a huge factor to this.

I just ask that you not dismiss this out of hand. Other groups (racist and extremist religious groups) are very aware of this chilling legal precedent.

And the simple fact is that if the religious fanatics in Massage find out I'm speaking out again, I am afraid of further retribution.

It's truly a mess...

Random Factor

Posted by: Leopardgirl ()
Date: May 15, 2004 09:04AM

In the U.S., massage therapy is regulated by the individual states. All states have different licensing and education standards and requirements, including whether or not state board exams are required. I have not taken the National Exam, but the last I heard it focused only on competencies in anatomy, physiology, kineseoligy, pathology, proper use of technique, and health and safety standards--what you need to know to practice your profession safely and competently.

The last time I checked, no one in my profession has been demanding that I or any of my colleagues entertain any specific religious or spiritual belief. The licensing board of each state is responsible for regulating massage therapists. The state I am in has not mandated that I practice a particular religion in order to maintain my licensing. Massage licenses are generally revoked only after an thourough investigation of has taken place and unethical or gross negligence has been determined.

I have been practicing massage for 12 years and have never been required by any governing body to hold to any religious or spiritual belief whatsoever. In fact, I find that massage therapists in general are an extremely diverse, independent and eclectic group, with a wide range of politcal and religious beliefs or non-beliefs.

It may be true that in general, those who are drawn to the healing professions of any kind tend to also be drawn to spirituality or spiritual practices such as meditation. This can be reflected in the professional magazines, but they focus also on profession issues, new techniques, and information pertaining to changes and trends in the industry. But I don't recall anywhere in any of my training or licensing being forced to profess any belief at all.

Can you elaborate, please?

Date: May 20, 2004 04:40AM

Okay, I realize I'm not explaining myself or the problem very well. I'm sorry: I'll try to clarify.

What has happened is that the Oriental beliefs that underlay Energy work (Chi, the Chakras, the metaphysics of Holism) are now on a civil test for civil licensure.

The problem is these are also common beliefs among many religious groups. And the problem is exacerbated by the Professional Organizations of Massage printing articles that basically make a religious argument that these beliefs take precedence over other religous beliefs.

So for many in massage this is seen as creating the first religious group in America whose beliefs have the backing of the State.

It certainly isn't throughout all of massage, but it is a growing problem. I'd agree with the description of a "emergent religion," but the argument is that this is NOT a religion. Religious beliefs "aren't good enough" to be sanctioned by the State, so these are a new classification: Spiritual Truth, which IS NOT mentioned in the Constitution.

It's a problem because some massage boards now claim the right to ENFORCE acceptance of these beliefs. That's why I lost my license.

I don't have a problem with Chi or Chakras or other beliefs. But when I was told I had to accept their validity over my personal beliefs, and actively work against the rights of members of other religions to practice massage, I balked.

Now my loss of licensure has become a threat by this growing extremist element in Massage, who claim that only ONE belief system has been sanctioned by the State.

So massage is rapidly becoming a cult, who sees the beliefs of others as insignificant and actually has claimed there is no Constitutional guarantee of freedom from this Spiritual Truth.

I hope that explains it better. I actually almost stopped posting here because my postings to this site were seen, and I was warned I was inviting another "Spiritual Action," the nice term used for violent protection of this test.

I hope this explains the problem better.

Rand

Posted by: PennyBright ()
Date: May 20, 2004 07:13AM

Random,

In which state were you licensed? I'd like to take a look at this licensure exam.

Thanks a bunch,

Penny

Date: May 20, 2004 09:23PM

Penny:

I really don't want to say where I live, but I will say my state DOESN'T use this test yet. Yet local massage boards are whipping up people to make this test law, and I got in the way of that.

Another problem is that all the questions on this test are secret! They can't be released, because so many areas use this as their only test. Massage Therapists might cheat. While the questions are common knowledge (and do appear in books to help pass the test) the EXACT questions are secret. And then I get told that my asking to see the exact questions sounds like I just want to cheat on the test!

But this is not just a local problem. 24 states use this as their licensure exam statewide, and another 14 use this test in municipalities or counties. So it is creating a national problem, as other groups well outside of Massage now use the rhetoric that "mere" beliefs (religious freedom) can be modified, questioned and "corrected" using the power of civil law.

Rand

Posted by: PennyBright ()
Date: May 21, 2004 04:12AM

Rand would seem to be referring to the NCETMB, the exam offered by the National Certification Board for Theraputic Massage and Bodywork. The NCETMB is the only test that appears to be broadly used by states as part of their licensure requirements for massage therapists.

Rand, if I am incorrect, and you are referring to some other exam, please tell us. It's hard to evaluate something for cultic behaviour when you can't examine it.

Thanks,

Penny

This is the website for the NCBTMB,
[www.ncbtmb.com]

and this site lists the certification requirements (or lack there of) of the states.

[www.massageregister.com]

Date: May 22, 2004 03:15AM

Yes, I'm referring to that test.

I don't mean to attack the people who created it, who I don't think could have imagined the effect it would have. But by including questions about energy work, based in Oriental beliefs, this test is seen to "prove" that beliefs can be both sanctioned (and now enforced) by civil law.

It's called the NCE (National Certification Exam) in our area.

When I questioned the scientific validity of these concepts, my own religious beliefs were questioned and then attacked. The mixture of spirituality and science on this test has caused real confusion as to what religious rights massage therapists have.

In my case, that was simple. I had NO RIGHT to hold beliefs (either scientific or Religious) that did not include the reality of Chi and the Chakras.

Of course, now other groups are seeing this test as proving that their beliefs can now become state sanctioned and enforced. So it's a growing mess.

I don't mean to attack all massage therapy, yet as soon as I began posting here I was warned that this was making some local groups angry.
By not accepting these "truths" I am seen as a spiritual bigot.

I wasn't going to continue posting on this, but I have other massage therapists across America contacting me. My delicensure is apparently used as a threat to enforce spiritual conformity in the civil profession of Massage. That's patently disgusting, as well as a violation of their civil rights. I feel the question needs to be addressed.

Rand

Posted by: Prasadam Das ()
Date: May 22, 2004 10:21PM

I wouldn't say that Massage Therapy is a cult. There are many different types of body work. I am trained in Swedish, Deep Tissue and Medical Massage. Most of my clients are referred to me by their GPs. I personally always pray and know that whoever I am working with is being reached on more than just a purely physical level. On a physical level it is very scientific. Of course the Asian approaches to body work and medicine include understanding of subtle energies, which a lot of people might think are bogus. I wouldn't worry too much about this though as what matters most are the results as Oriental massage is also very effective on a physical level.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.