non-denominational?
Posted by: ContingentSEA ()
Date: April 22, 2004 09:30PM

Hello,

this is my first post... I've discovered the page in scouring the net for info regarding non-denominational christainity...

theres much more to the story, but basically...a friend of mine has recently become increasingly involved with a "rocks community church." I'm worried what we're dealing with is a cult. It seems as though they follow the bible from what she says, but the manner in which the church is run and how they are keeping her there seem quite suspicious. I've spoken with her on 2 different occasions questioning her beliefs, with nothing more than "church" answers...

does anyone have any advice regarding this topic? how can i ease her out of this church? any input would be much appreciated.

-Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
non-denominational?
Posted by: reusablepheonix ()
Date: April 28, 2004 01:06AM

hello Dave, I grew up in a "non denominational" church, also fundamentalist southern baptist.
No such thing as non-denominational.
I spent my life until my mid 20's inside christian culture, private schools, was a youth pastor.
My brand of christianity was definatly cult-like, and I was spiritualy abused and beaten down to feel worthless.
I remember my pastor and a few elders casting demons out of me when I was 12, because of my sleep walking habits.
My step father has ball cancer, wont even get a biopsy done cause they diont believe in medical science.
I would think the best advice to motivate your friend to leave the church is to critical textual studies of the bible.
Since these people worship the bible ( yes worship). you can use the bible itself ( and its history) to falsify christian fundyism.
the best places to go are ex-christian sites since they are the most educated about christianity and its culture, and also critical.

The subject can be approached many different ways, but your friend will not respond unless you know your bible, and understand basic christian doctrines and lingo, most christians dont even know their history and how the bible became the bible.
critical thinking is helpful in recognizing the logical fallacy behind standard christian responses

non-denominational?
Posted by: Hogan ()
Date: April 29, 2004 12:00AM

There are many Christian groups that may be doctrinally sound, but are, in fact, abusive. One can usually discern this by checking out how much power the elders have. Do they regulate dating? Do they closely monitor giving? Is "submission" a major issue?

In the 80's the "shepherding movement" was big among charismatic and Pentecostal churches. It did a lot of damage to people. When I spoke out against it (in my church), I was rebuked. I turned out to be right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.