Smoking for Jesus
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: September 26, 2007 12:50PM

[b:83bb12eff1]Smoking for Jesus by Dave Mann - The Texas Observer[/b:83bb12eff1]

[www.texasobserver.org]

A friend of mine forwarded this to me. Looks interesting, huh?

Options: ReplyQuote
Smoking for Jesus
Date: September 26, 2007 12:57PM

From the article.

[b:03a241e80b]"Only by letting go of your free will can you truly walk with the Lord."
[/b:03a241e80b]

This does not sound good to me.

Monnet explained the lesson of Katrina. You may never know where or why or how God might lead you, but you must trust in Him. Only by letting go of your free will can you truly walk with the Lord. “Worship is a sacrifice,” Monnet preached. “To do God’s will is going to cost you sacrifices of your dreams and your wants. Sacrifice it on the altar. ... That’s worship. You’re going to put your life on the altar. He’s already set aside a purpose for your life. ... It don’t matter what you want to do. It’s not your life.”

The ministry is an absolute hierarchy—based not only around the pastor’s warmth and charisma, but also around his interpretation of God’s will. (Many Smoking for Jesus members wouldn’t consent to an interview for this story without asking the pastor’s permission.) The willingness of church members to subjugate themselves to the pastor’s version of the Lord’s desire imbues Monnet with enormous power—some might say dangerous power. In fact, the relatives of church members who stayed in New Orleans have complained that the ministry is actually a cult.

Smoking for Jesus
Posted by: Vodnik ()
Date: September 27, 2007 01:00PM

zeuszor
From the article.

[b:93e0718320]"Only by letting go of your free will can you truly walk with the Lord."
[/b:93e0718320]

This does not sound good to me.

It sounds perfectly acceptable to me.

In order to believe in god, you must give yourself to him. I.E. Your will.

Hence, one of the many contradictions in the bible, both new and old.

Let's examine this. When something happens that is good to a person that believes in "god", they praise god for his "mercy". When something bad happens to someone that believes in "god", it's either "his wish" (which nullifies free will), or it's an "evil" influence. However, if god is omniscient, there are no demons, nor is there a Satan, because god is all powerful.

I would like a christian with a brain to prove me wrong. But then again, Adam and Eve, and their children, were involved in incest.

Smoking for Jesus
Date: September 27, 2007 01:36PM

We do not discuss or argue theology or philosophy per se here, we discuss "Cults," Sects, and "New Religious Movements".

Being a Christian does not mean that you have to turn your brain off and blindly obey, that's all I'm saying.

Smoking for Jesus
Posted by: TheLambOfGod ()
Date: September 29, 2007 07:25PM

[b:1ac4be8c3a]
With regard to Adam & Eve being involved in incest. I think your referring to their descendents? I was told that back then the blood was very close to perfection and as the descendants of Adam & Eve have passed the ages the blood has become less pure. Apparently because the blood was so pure the descendants close to Adam & Eve were able to live for 100's of years, while now it says in the Bible man's lifespan will eventually come to 120 years of age, which a few people are doing that now.

Also because Adam & Eve were considered perfect they will not get a 2nd chance of judgement, they already had it.

[/size:1ac4be8c3a][/b:1ac4be8c3a]

Smoking for Jesus
Date: September 29, 2007 11:53PM

We do not discuss or argue theology or philosophy per se here, we discuss "Cults," Sects, and "New Religious Movements".

Smoking for Jesus
Date: September 30, 2007 12:14AM

Smoking for Jesus
Posted by: furry faerie ()
Date: September 30, 2007 03:33PM

TheLambOfGod
[b:c0147c6e83]
Apparently because the blood was so pure the descendants close to Adam & Eve were able to live for 100's of years, while now it says in the Bible man's lifespan will eventually come to 120 years of age, which a few people are doing that now.

[/size:c0147c6e83][/b:c0147c6e83]

Something I heard once too, was that before the Flood it had never rained before. Before the Flood people lived for a very long time, as was said. But if you notice the lifespans after those first rains of the Flood, they are a lot shorter. So it seems perhaps that something changed in the atmosphere too (something to do with the ozone layer, and people having greater exposure to UV rays from the sun?) which also contributed to people's shortened lifespans. Perhaps?

Re: Smoking for Jesus
Posted by: Sounddalarm21 ()
Date: June 24, 2022 11:03AM

I attended this church for 20 years and yes, it is a cult. The pastor is controlling, manipulative and brain washes members to believe that they need him to control them. They teach that the pastor knows more than you, so that is why you MUST obey the pastor. Families have been split up when one spouse wants to leave the church. The pastor and his wife will support the spouse that stays no matter the situation. The pastor twist scriptures to fit his agenda of control. In the 20 years that I was there, not a one person was ever "blessed" to leave. Even if they say they heard from God. And there is no accountability for the pastor. He founded the church and he has no affiliation with any other church. So he does whatever he wants! He will even ask, "who's name is on this building?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.