Re: Chris Butler, Jagad Guru, Science of Identity
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 31, 2008 08:16PM

Interesting article has appeared in Australia.

'Homophobic cult'

Former members warn of a meditation group’s “homophobic agenda”.

Queensland Pride/July 31, 2008

By Iain Clacher

A religious sect that runs meditation and yoga courses in partnership with the Gold Coast City Council is a homophobic cult that teaches gays can be ‘cured’ by chanting, according to former members.

The Australian School of Meditation and Yoga, which runs four “lifestyle centres” on the Gold Coast, one in West End and others in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide, is run by the Science of Identity sect.

The sect, which claims a membership of 20,000 worldwide, is headed by Guru Chris Butler, who began collecting disciples in the late 1960s and formed the cult in 1977. Butler’s disciples also call him Srila Prabhupad, which means “he who is in the position of God”.

Former member, “Justin”, 30, told Queensland Pride he was “born into” the cult because his parents had been members since the 1970s. When he came out to his parents at the age of 16, he was disowned.

“They kicked me out and told me the house would need to be sterilised because being gay was dirty, and my father said he hoped I died in hospital of AIDS,” Justin said.

“They have interesting ‘facts’ they put out about homosexuality. I was told that AIDS can live on warm surfaces for 48 hours, so that you can pick it up from toilet seats, and that kids can pick it up by putting fingers in their mouths.

“They tell stories that gays eat faeces and have up to 2,000 sexual partners a year.

“[They also taught] that by chanting you’d be cured of being gay,” he said.

Leaving the cult was the only way to find out any different, Justin said, as children in the group are all home-schooled.

“My education was practically non-existent. Everything you do in the cult is pretty much watched, and you’re insulated and isolated and you only associated with people inside the cult.

“It was extremely difficult to grow up around this and deal with how I was feeling. I went into denial about [being gay],” he said.

Homophobia, Justin said, had “always been a part of it, but it increased over the years, particularly when they started doing political campaigns.”

Another former cult member, Cara James, told Queensland Pride Guru Chris Butler was convinced there is a “gay agenda”.

“Once, he started talking about Jesus at Christmas and went into a complete tirade against gay people, claiming that gays were trying to get rid of Christmas,” James said.

She said the cult is “very guarded” about who they allow to hear Butler’s lectures, because “they are very much aware of the fact that they would breach vilification laws”.

A German edition of 'The Identity Crisis'.

In a pamphlet, Homosexuality: The Identity Crisis, Butler wrote: “The homosexuals are trying to convince themselves and others that their perverted sexual dealings are very satisfying, that's why they call themselves gay, as if they are in perpetual bliss and are free”.

Certainly, bliss has eluded “Justin” in the fourteen years since he physically freed himself from the Science of Identity.

He said the experience had left him with a social phobia that made it difficult for him to trust others.

“It’s hard to overcome the cult’s teachings on society’s evils. They create a lot of fear. I’ve read that a lot of cult members have a lot of the same issues with facing the indoctrinated teachings,” he said.

Gold Coast City Council is currently investigating its connections with the Science of Identity.

Council Community Services director Collette McCool told the Gold Coast Bulletin she has referred some allegations about the group to the police.

"These allegations are very disturbing,” she said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Vera City ()
Date: August 03, 2008 02:55AM

rrmoderator
Interesting article has appeared in Australia.

“They kicked me out and told me the house would need to be sterilised because being gay was dirty, and my father said he hoped I died in hospital of AIDS,” Justin said.
This is just horrific for a parent to say this to a child... Why certain religious streams take on this dark and fascist side is beyond my understanding. This is utterly heartbreaking.

rrmoderator
Homophobia, Justin said, had “always been a part of it, but it increased over the years, particularly when they started doing political campaigns.”

I concur. Homophobia was used as a political tool to get cult members elected. Gay or straight; ALL sexual activity is deemed as "sense gratification" (evil), unless used only for the propagation of children. The cult buzz term "sense gratification" meant that you were the lowest of humanity and not connected to the g0dhead. If you had sexual desires, it meant you were not thinking about serving your guru enough. It meant that you were weak and not in control of your senses. It meant that you were once again not good enough and needed to chant more, please Jagad guru more so that you would be graced to know g0d through him alone...

In this cult, sex is not considered a way to express love and tenderness towards another human being. It is not considered a way to access the spiritual in the other or to give to one another. Sex is considered unclean and unpure, like going to the bathroom and taking a dump. The pleasure of sex is considered a side effect only to make people do the "horrible" act. It was said that if a woman has an orgasm, she will have a less desirable female offspring.

The ideal is seen as a sexless life, ignoring detriments to both the physical and mental health of individuals, as well as the harm to society. All bliss and pleasure in life are only to come from some fairy tale relationship with a mythical g0dling. It is said that ACB (founder of ISKCON) once commented while touring a filthy and impoverished section of a city in India that the lower class people tolerate this only because they can have sex. That is the sick view of intimacy in this cult.

Homosexuals have once again become the great scape goats for all the ills of society also used by this cult. Homophobia was woven into the Butler culture and politics. Many years ago, there were three top women devotees of Butler who had been married to some prominent male followers. They were lesbians who eventually took their children out of the cult in the exodus of the 80's when CB began to condemn them. One woman confronted CB directly about the hypocrisy in the cult regarding sex. It was a time with a lot of affairs and changing of marital partners. She was rebuffed severely by Butler. Other people left the cult over this and after he married a divorced woman and broke his vow of sanyass (celibate monk). Some left after getting burnt out by the first wave of political campaigns. Finding both the changes and the reality of CB's cult objectionable, many people did leave. But more people stayed, than left at the time. With gay people no longer around to advocate for themselves, children were raised to hate. Having no real education about history or sexuality or science, a generation of bigots has been created by Butler.

Posted by: hoax108 ()
Date: August 04, 2008 10:32AM

RR -hanks for finding and posting the "Homophobic" article.

I wonder if it got a lot of press in Australia. The gay community would certainly be shocked at such revelations so maybe they will release some more negative publicity.

Anyway, pretty damaging for good old CB.

I have been reading the posts of late, especially by Vera, with great interest. Thank you for that V.

With regards to the recruitment methods of SIF, in a nutshell, I was on a spiritual journey and I felt the need to explore meditation. I found a brochure for a "mantra meditation" class, thought it was cool, started chanting on beads, got invited to a gathering, enjoyed it, etc. etc.

Sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it? Looking back, I think my initial experience with the mantras had an effect on my consciousness and did have kind of a hypnotizing effect. I think what stands out in my mind was that it was new and exciting and I wanted to be around others who were also "into it".

I mean, for someone on a spiritual quest, who wouldn't like sitting around and chanting with guitars with some nice people who openly talk about God and spiritual life and share some delicious food?

Another big factor for me was that I was in an intimacy deprived state so naturally I was looking to connect with people who I found like-minded, accepting, and desirous of my company.

And then I gradually got immersed in the cult, really insulated from the world and rational thinking, and stuff goes on that made me think, "WTF?" But, it's all my own polluted mind and I need to chant and serve more etc. Same old crap........

Hey Veracity - with all the documents you've posted that clearly show how the whole activity of the cult revolves around serving every whim and idiosyncrasy of the guru, I can't help but think of that famous rock band who when touring requested Smarties in their dressing room, but the red (or blue) ones had to be removed.

I think that rock band made that absurd request just because they could.

CB's "requests" reveal mental illness.

Date: August 05, 2008 10:29PM

hoax108

I mean, for someone on a spiritual quest, who wouldn't like sitting around and chanting with guitars with some nice people who openly talk about God and spiritual life and share some delicious food?

Another big factor for me was that I was in an intimacy deprived state so naturally I was looking to connect with people who I found like-minded, accepting, and desirous of my company.
Isn't it interesting how so many people came for the nice times from estranged backgrounds only to find themselves in another intimacy deprived situation! Yeah, you could make friends, but, there was really little chance to connect in any meaningful way outside of the cult program. No time..."gotta serve Sheila Prabufraud...

hoax108
Hey Veracity - with all the documents you've posted that clearly show how the whole activity of the cult revolves around serving every whim and idiosyncrasy of the guru, I can't help but think of that famous rock band who when touring requested Smarties in their dressing room, but the red (or blue) ones had to be removed. I think that rock band made that absurd request just because they could.

I can't remember the rock bands name??? What was it?

Did that come from the movie "This is Spinal Tap" ? (one of the funniest movies ever made -- I'd love to see a parody on CB's cult like that!)

BTW - I only wish I had more recent memos - they are probably in a 50 volume, leather bound set by now!

And no shit! mental illness!

I'll try to post more later today...

Posted by: just-googling ()
Date: August 15, 2008 05:20AM

Hoax108
Hey Veracity - with all the documents you've posted that clearly show how the whole activity of the cult revolves around serving every whim and idiosyncrasy of the guru, I can't help but think of that famous rock band who when touring requested Smarties in their dressing room, but the red (or blue) ones had to be removed.

I think that rock band made that absurd request just because they could.

that's hilarious, Hoax... no I never heard of that band...

It does seem, though, that CB also makes these crazy "requests" just because he can ??? After all, g0d's only rep on this planet can do anything he likes and no questions asked by the indoctrinated followers.

PS - I remember "Spinal Tap" -- that was hilarious!

;)

Date: August 16, 2008 08:26AM

Continuing with the theme of comparing CB with bona fide (IMHO) Spiritual Masters, we find:

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
- Mark 10:45

It's seems that poor CB has somehow got this backwards - not only because of his constant demands to be served but also because he holds the lives of his followers as ransom since they believe that failure to serve old CB will send them to hell.

Date: August 18, 2008 12:32AM

hoax108
Continuing with the theme of comparing CB with bona fide (IMHO) Spiritual Masters, we find:

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
- Mark 10:45

It's seems that poor CB has somehow got this backwards - not only because of his constant demands to be served but also because he holds the lives of his followers as ransom since they believe that failure to serve old CB will send them to hell.

Hoax108,
What a great and succinct post! Could not have been said better.

Here are more documents to illustrate. I find item #7 interesting - on disciplining - mainly because no one was getting paid!
I am also assuming that the "alterations" to VD's clothing are a reference to her gawd awful clown suits she wears for her yoga show! VD also seems as petulant as CB...her down blanket was not "heavy" enough...oh, boo hoo!

After all of these efforts, "Prince" Butler is still not satisfied! My stomach turns just reading this shit! It also infuriates me. He responds with the following letter where he takes five pages to complain about people not dedicating their lives enough to him...he says people are in total ignorance or illusion...people just want to be "enjoyers" (by making a living and taking care of their families! ...of wanting to get married and have children... as if this was all so sinful!). He is critical of people who are sending their kids to public school (who have no funds or time to home school or start a local school because they are so busy serving the "master"! Not all parents wanted to send their children off to the Butler school in a third world country where they would rarely see their children! And when they did see them, their own children would jam them about not doing enough, being serious enough, serving the master enough!)

He goes on to state that it is increasingly difficult for him to take his disciples seriously. My question is how could his followers take CB seriously when these memos began appearing?! (Okay, we now know about mind control). Only a few left because of these memos and CB's behaviors. Not one of them regrets leaving the cult. What made the difference? Why do some get out and some don't? Several other posters here have grappled with that question. Googling and many others snapped out of it through too many painful experiences or a mental breakdown. Zelig felt it was his families loving support that got him out. Dassi wrote me that it was her husband's strength. The common denominator is that each had time away from the cult to get their heads together. Many are now too entrenched by generational membership.

CB states that he just wants to give people Krishna, but all he really gives them is a bunch of Shitshna!

What is really astounding about this letter is CB's TOTAL inability to take ANY responsibility for his own problems and difficulties! He blames everyone but himself for his unhappiness, predicament, lack of foresight and organizational skills. LOOK IN THE MIRROR OH GOOROO!!!!!!! He is still the little boy left in a gas station by his parents getting everyone around him to serve his every need (a reference to a story told by his father in the book "Barbara" where they accidentally drove off without him on a family vacation. When they realized that he was not in the car, they drove back to the gas station --- only to find a bunch of people doting on him and giving him candy. (Perhaps on a subconscious level they just wanted to dump this High Maintenance, self centered child!)

Up next...
"A Different World..."

Date: August 21, 2008 06:57AM

Chris Butler
Their primary focus is themselves, their wives, their children. And because their focus is primarily on the family, their worldly families, this doesn't leave their consciousness much room to focus on Krishna.

Enough said, eh? This is the part of the Science of Identity that does not appear in the books! No wonder the neglect of the children was so high.

Based on the idea that our worldly families are temporary and our relationship with the 'spiritual master' is eternal? Imagine an eternity with this self-centered, egocentric man finding fault with you and never being good enough for him ... ETERNALLY! ... No wonder that suicidal ideation rate was so high with the members of this cult.

Again, thanks for posting these letters, Vera.
:)

Date: August 21, 2008 11:35AM

Good point googling.

You know, I was thinking about Pope John Paul II, not as a "guru" but as a religious leader.

And let's face it, old CB holds himself out to be much more than just a religious leader, an elected official no less (how shameful!!).

Now this Pope constantly traveled the world, even in old age and ill health, preaching to the faithful and attempting to create unity in world religion.

Being a public figure, he put himself at risk, and was shot. This event did not deter him, he personally met and forgave the shooter, and he even kept the bullet among his most personal possessions: his deity.

Contrast this elected official with Krishna's confidential loving servant who had a vague death threat almost 40 years ago and is still paranoid about it.

Food for thought.

On a personal note, I extricated myself from the cult almost 3 years ago and I am grateful.

However, I find that I am at times very angry at the group in general for being so close-minded, judgmental, and misguided.

I just feel like screaming at them to wake up!!! I know that this would be a waste of breath though.

Fortunately for me, I can easily avoid them and I do. For I know that calling a member, even to just say "hi" would result in them either avoiding me because I'm a demon but most likely would involve them preaching to me to try to "save" me.

And any attempts to dispute their preaching would only fall on deaf ears.....

So how do I let this anger go? Just give it time?

Date: August 28, 2008 09:45PM

You have raised an interesting point here, one-O-eight, about how the character of that Polish Pope is at the other end of the spectrum from Chris Butler's character in this regard. A world figure speaking about peace and forgiveness - now there's something you don't see every day! Yeh, even forgiving the man who shot him. Meanwhile, Chris will never forgive those darned followers who did not plug in his lamp. Meanwhile, Chris seems to be supportive of conflict and war, as evidenced by his political puppets in the White House, and seems to be off on a tangent of "patriotism" - which seems directly opposed to his original "Science of Identity" rant, i.e. that we are not these bodies, NOT American, etc etc.!

More on Chris Butler's statement "Their primary focus is ... their children": What does he exactly mean by this. Does "primary focus" mean providing food and shelter for one's family? (Instead of sending one's money to the guru?) Does it mean spending time with one's children instead of working to maintain the guru's comfort level -- e.g. spending 12 hours a day cleaning the guru's 8,000 square foot mansion home so that a speck of dust does not contaminate the transcendental guru's existence? Seems liike he is stating that their primary focus should be on trying to satisfy his ridiculous whims???

:)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.