Re: Chris Butler, Jagad Guru, Science of Identity
Posted by: GODHIMSELF ()
Date: January 16, 2019 10:40AM

Tulsi said I am sorry for my past anti-gay activities

Will Chris Butler say I am sorry to have preached anti-gay lectures and have the kids in his cult go through what you can read below???

Date: December 19, 2018 08:29AM

Identity
Posted by: IanKoviak ()
Date: March 09, 2016 02:55AM

IF THIS POST IS TRUTH ...IT IS ABUSES OF KIDS BEYOND ANYTHING THAT WE
WE HAVE HEARD BEFORE ON THIS FORUM ...WE ALL KNOW ABOUT SOME QUOTES OF BUTLER ...AND THE HOMOPHOBIC PREACHING OF MIKE GABBARD ...BUT THIS POST IS TRULY DISTURBING.
I heard so many lectures where Butler just could not get enough of bagging on homosexuals (and was made to write essays on this crap—sometimes having heard the lecture 6-10 times before, since for some reason Butler just stopped giving lectures at some point). We were forced to watch completely vile anti-gay videos in the PI that left my stomach churning. They were scare-tactic videos showing poor gay men who were sick and dying from AIDS and close up clips of gay parades where men were engaging in intercourse in the street and so forth. We were between the ages of 10-16. I was 12. This was Butlers great educational system. To create an army of bigoted, angry boys who knew tae kwon do, could not express themselves sexually without being viewed and made to feel as flawed specimens and animalistic and taught verse after verse from the Hindu book the Bhagavad Gita, a veritable war cry, instigating one to simply act and follow without thinking because it was your great and chosen "duty".(to listen and obey Butler )

Options: ReplyQuote
Second District of Hawaii, an article on Tulsi from Vox News
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 16, 2019 08:59PM

How Tulsi Gabbard went from rising star to pariah — and then presidential candidate

Tulsi Gabbard had so much promise. Now her presidential bid feels quixotic. Here’s what happened — and why it matters.

By Zack Beauchamp Jan 16, 2019, 5:30am EST

[www.vox.com]

The reporter did include this information. We need more attention to the Butler boarding school in Baguio, where sect children were shipped while their parents slaved for Butler.

For Tulsi Gabbard, politics is a family business. Her mother, Carol Gabbard, was on Hawaii’s State Board of Education; her father, Mike Gabbard, was a political activist and Honolulu City Council member, best known in Hawaii for being one of the state’s leading opponents of LGBTQ equality. He founded an organization called Stop Promoting Homosexuality that advocated not only against marriage equality, but the very idea of tolerance for homosexuality itself.

“Homosexuality is not normal, not healthy, morally and scripturally wrong,” he said in a 1992 interview, in which he also blamed the spread of AIDS on the repeal of sodomy laws.

[www.honolulumagazine.com]

Mike Gabbard’s opposition to gay rights (as well as abortion) seemed to stem from his religious background. Born in Samoa, he is both Catholic and a member of an obscure offshoot of the Hare Krishna sect called the Science of Identity Foundation. The group’s leader, a self-described guru named Chris Butler, has condemned homosexuality, once arguing that it led to “an increasing number of American women [keeping] dogs for sexual purposes.’”

chrome-extension://cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm/document-blocked.html?details=eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2dvLnNraW1yZXNvdXJjZXMuY29tLz94cz0xJnVybD1odHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRnd3dy5uZXd5b3JrZXIuY29tJTJGbWFnYXppbmUlMkYyMDE3JTJGMTElMkYwNiUyRndoYXQtZG9lcy10dWxzaS1nYWJiYXJkLWJlbGlldmUmeGd1aWQ9ODVVVFVGazJSekFhJmlkPTY2OTYwWDE1MTY1ODgmY2hlY2tzdW09ZmM1ZDZlYTcxMjZiYjhlNmE3YWY1NmE3MDQ5OTc1ZTc4Nzk0NmM0ZTYyNWFjOWNlZWYwODNhODUxM2JiMDRkYSIsImhuIjoiZ28uc2tpbXJlc291cmNlcy5jb20iLCJkbiI6InNraW1yZXNvdXJjZXMuY29tIiwiZmMiOiJbMCw2MixcInNraW1yZXNvdXJjZXMuY29tXCJdIiwiZnMiOiJ8fHNraW1yZXNvdXJjZXMuY29tXiJ9

Tulsi Gabbard grew up in Butler’s movement, which has faced allegations of cult-like practices.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

She told the New Yorker’s Kelefa Sanneh that he shaped her Hindu identity, speaking of her “gratitude to him for the gift of this wonderful spiritual practice that he has given to me.”

[www.newyorker.com]

Her early political career reflected both Butler’s views and her father’s. She worked for her father’s organization, which supported the use of “conversion therapy” to try to turn kids straight.

[amp.cnn.com]

She once blasted “homosexual activists” for trying to “force their values down the throats of the children in our schools.” During her successful run for the Hawaii Legislature in 2002, when she was just 21 years old, she vowed to pass a constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage.

and

Just two weeks ago, the Intercept, a left-aligned anti-war outlet, published a deeply reported expose on Gabbard’s ties to Hindu nationalists.

[theintercept.com]

Gabbard has long supported Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, an anti-Islam right-winger who had previously been barred from entering the US due to being personally implicated in deadly anti-Muslim riots.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

In turn, American Hindu supporters of Modi had become some of Gabbard’s biggest donors — including some disturbingly Islamophobic groups.

“Hindu-Americans have supported Gabbard since the start of her political career, and that support has increased substantially since Modi’s election, much of it coming from Hindu nationalists,” Soumya Shankar writes in the Intercept’s piece. “Dozens of Gabbard’s donors have either expressed strong sympathy with or have ties to the Sangh Parivar — a network of religious, political, paramilitary, and student groups that subscribe to the Hindu supremacist, exclusionary ideology known as Hindutva.”

These attacks in the left press underscore how divisive a figure she is even among the party’s insurgent wing. It’s hard to see why a faction that was troubled by Hillary Clinton’s foreign policy record would be open to someone who had engaged in borderline Islamophobic rhetoric about “radical Islam,” called for escalations in the war on terrorism, and backed anti-Islam populists and dictators abroad.

The article concludes:

So while backing Sanders in 2016 was smart politics on Gabbard’s part, given her declining support in the mainstream it simply wasn’t enough to overcome the hole she dug herself. Nobody made Gabbard cozy up to Assad or attack Obama for not saying “radical Islam;” she wasn’t forced to entertain the idea of bringing back torture or fundraising from hardline Hindu nationalists. These moves clearly weren’t politically clever, and they seem to have cost her allies around the party.

There’s only one clear explanation: Gabbard’s most controversial positions represent her authentic convictions.

Corboy -- what if Tulsi does not have authentic convictions?

WHAT IF TULSI IS MERELY A PUPPET FOR CHRIS BUTLER- THE MAN WHO SAYS HE IS GOD?

Date: January 17, 2019 01:48PM

And here is the object of Tulsi Gabbard's ONLY loyalty, allegiance and worship:

A vote for Tulsi Gabbard, is a vote for this..... ???
Make no mistake, it is this so-called "spiritual" leader, who has coveted the White House for a very long time.

Re: Second District of Hawaii, an article on Tulsi from Vox News
Date: January 17, 2019 09:19PM

How might it feel to perform as a male guru?

Matthew Remski speculates.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: GODHIMSELF ()
Date: January 18, 2019 06:09AM

[www.youtube.com]

Here is a link to Tulsi Gabbard apology.

How can she say sorry when she has to bow down in front of her guru Chris Butler
who is the biggest anti gay person (guru).

Chris Butler as not apologize ......and Mike Gabbard will not apologise because he is a slave to Butler ideology.

Date: January 18, 2019 04:23PM

Tulsi Gabbard's apology is just some serious back-pedaling. This apology rings hollow, it should have been made years ago. Part of the cult indoctrination is for all children from birth to be subjected to daily and nightly "lecture" tapes made by Butler. Tulsi's early entrainment was to cultivate intolerance of the gay community. This was a hallmark of the Butler Cult.
Go back and review what Ian Koviak said about the Baguio school. Tulsi was in the girls Philippine school as well. What the girls were taught was the same as what the boys were taught.
I distinctly remember seeing little children being put to bed with headphones on. EVERY NIIGHT - for years! They were forced to listen - as they slept- to the voice of Butler, programming them night after night.
For years....

Ponder that as you watch her "apology" tape.
It is merely damage control.
Butler wants so badly to be in the White House that this apology tape was his way of covering up what he himself taught for decades.
And what his teacher, AC Bhaktivedanta taught as well.
You can only be as good as your teacher...or in this case, your Mind Controller.
Or what your own father preached to you, year after year:

[www.hawaiifreepress.com]

Date: January 18, 2019 04:28PM

Another exposé on the Cult of Butler and the Manchurian Candidate, Tulsi Gabbard.

Quote: "Marketed as “the first Hindu in Congress,” Gabbard, her family, her in-laws and political milieu are deeply connected to an offshoot of the Hare Krishna sect in Hawaii led by Chris Butler aka Jagad Guru Siddhaswarupananda Paramahamsa:

Gabbard’s Washington-based chief of staff, Kainoa Penaroza, is the son of Bill Penaroza, linked to a political front for Butler’s organization. ” . . . . Kainoa Penaroza, who was appointed as Gabbard’s Washington, D.C.-based chief of staff last month despite his relative lack of political experience, is the son of Bill Penaroza, who was among a slate of 14 candidates running for a variety of offices in 1976 under an enigmatic political party called the Independents for Godly Government. The party’s connection to Butler was revealed in a three-part investigative series by the Honolulu Advertiser’s Water Wright in 1977. . . .”

Penaroza’s wife works as Gabbard’s Washington fundraiser. Both lived at a property owned by a group that owned Healthy’s, a store controlled by Butler’s group. ” . . . . Penaroza, 30, and his wife, Alana Leigh Penaroza, who now works as Gabbard’s D.C. fundraiser, at one time lived in a Kailua property owned by Joseph Bismark, a Singapore-based businessman whose company, QI Group, bought Healthy’s in 2007. According to the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Healthy’s owns Noni Connection LLC, which lists Kainoa Penaroza as its director and secretary. . . .”

Abaham Williams, Gabbard’s now-husband, is from a family with deep ties to the Butler cult. ” . . . . Abraham Williams, Gabbard’s 26-year-old fiancé, is a freelance cinematographer who also grew up in a family with strong ties to Butler. His mother, Anya Anthony, is listed as a registered agent of Wai Lana Productions LLC, a company named after Butler’s wife, Wai Lan, that runs www.wailana.com, which sells yoga instruction DVDs, clothing and other accessories. . . . .”
Gabbard’s mother-in-law–Anya Anthony–is part of the Butler cult milieu and is the manager of Gabbard’s district office in Honolulu. ” . . . .

Anthony is now the manager of Gabbard’s district office in Honolulu. Last month, Gabbard put a post on Facebook introducing Anthony as her soon-to-be mother-in-law. Gabbard noted that she had asked the Congressional Ethics Committee to determine if it was ethical for the congresswoman to employ her future mother-in-law. The committee signed off on Anthony’s continued employment, a committee spokesman confirmed to Civil Beat.

Sunil Khemaney, one Gabbard’s supporters on her trip to India where she networked with Modi, the BJP and the RSS, is tied to the Butler business milieu. ” . . . . Sunil Khemaney, who accompanied Gabbard on her December trip to India, is listed in Wai Lana Productions’ business registration records as its manager. He is also the director of Healthy’s and one of the trustees of Wai Lana Yoga Trust, whose mission is to ‘educate and teach the general public about the philosophy, moral standards and practices of yoga for the benefit of mankind.’ Khemaney is also the vice president of the East West Yoga Foundation, a nonprofit registered in Arizona. Chris Butler is listed in Arizona corporation records as its director, along with his wife, who is the president and director. . . .”

Tulsi’s father Mike is also tied to the Butler cult: ” . . . . Mike Gabbard has long maintained that he’s a Catholic, not Hare Krishna. But, in Honolulu Magazine’s 2004 profile, he acknowledged his ties to Butler: ‘Although I’m not a member of the Science of Identity Foundation, I’m eternally thankful to Chris Butler … whose teachings of karma yoga (selfless service) and bhakti yoga (devotion to God) have brought me back to my Catholic roots and the fundamental teachings of Christ.’ . . . .

Mike Gabbard was in the audience at a taping of Chris Butler’s TV show, “Jagad Guru Speaks,” which aired for several years in the 1980s and 1990s. . . .”

Tulsi’s mother Carol is also tied to Butler and both of her parents sat on the board of directors of Buter’s group: ” . . . . . Multiple historical documents show that, at various points in the history of the Science of Identity Foundation, both Mike and Carol Gabbard sat on its board. According to various reports, they were bestowed Sanskrit names, ‘Krishna Katha das’ and ‘Devahuti dasi,’ respectively. . . .”

Gabbard herself denotes Butler as her personal guru at around 3:45 in an embedded video, the autio track of which is contained in the show. Note that the talk Gabbard is giving is an adulatory presentation of Prabuhada.

Prabhupada’s views are noteworthy for our purposes: “. . . . ISKCON founder A C Bhaktivedanta Swami’s views were even more bizarre than I expected: rape victims asked for it, Blacks are inferior and should be enslaved, Aryans are the supreme race, Hitler was right when attacking the Jews, and the “non-Aryan” majority of the human race are useless eaters no better than dogs. The preferred form of government is an absolutist monarchy. Racism is apparently an integral part of the ideal Vedic society, since “shudra” (the designation of the worker-caste) means “black”, which in turn literally refers to Blacks, a category which also includes Dravidians from southern India. . . .”

The program concludes with a longer look at Prabhupada’s fascist/racist views–an examination that will be set forth at greater length in the next program.

[spitfirelist.com]

Lying is truth if you omit information 2 serve "Krishna" aka Butler
Date: January 18, 2019 08:49PM

Friends, please be aware that Chris Butler, Tulsi Gabbard's homophobic family guru, is from a sect that teaches that lying is not wrong if lying serves the best interests of the cult -whether that cult is Chris Butler's Science of Identity cult or the cult created by Srila Prabhupada, Chris Butler's guru.

To know Srila Prabhupada and his Hare Krishna cult (International Society of Krishna Consciousness) is to know Chris Butler - and Tulsi Gabbard.

This is a long read. But the information is absolutely necessary if one is to understand Tulsi Gabbard.

It is Corboy's opinion that TUlsi may look like a person, but psychologically she is not her own person and never has been her own person.

Tulsi Gabbard is an indoctrinated PRODUCT - a product of a uniquely authoritarian sect that -Listen Up- is not a typical Hindu sect.

Most Hindu sects are not as authoritarian as the sects created by Chris Butler and by Butler's guru, Srila Prabhupada.

2017 The Hare Krishna Sect Is In San Francisco -- Targeting Tourists Not Flower Children.

Friends, if you have met a Hare Krishna outreacher, you need to know that they are taught to lie to outsiders in order to recruit them.

A Hare Krishna outreach person will charm you and delight you, will be intelligent and lucid.

Here is where you can learn what your ISKON recruiter will not tell you.

A former Hare Krishna wrote this -- the inside dope.

Your delightful ISKON recruiter will not tell you the full history of the International Society of Krishna Consciousness.

In fact, the Hare Krishna recruiter regards it as his duty to Krishna to LIE to you if that gets you to become a devotee.

[surrealist.org]

I learned that service to Krishna trumps mundane morality and ethics—that ethics is, most fundamentally, whatever serves the mission (ethics based on any other motivation is mere sentimentality and mental speculation). To get one of our books or other products into the hands of a non-devotee, and to separate him or her from their money, one could say and do virtually anything. I learned that, despite appearances, such actions could not be called lying or cheating, because they represent the enactment of a higher law, meant for the true benefit of the donor.

I learned that no matter how good and decent a non-devotee may appear on the surface, if he engages in illicit sex he is little better than a monkey. Those who indulge their lust are sinful, dirty, and doomed to perpetual misery.
[/quote]

This is what your charming smiling Krishna recruiter really thinks of you.

I learned that whatever admirable qualities a non-devotee may appear to have—however seemingly benign, benevolent or admirable—the mere fact that the person is not a devotee of Krishna renders him a sinner, to be avoided at all costs. Even our biological family and former friends were to be avoided as far as possible, lest we become contaminated or, alternatively, incinerated: to associate with non-devotees was, according to our scriptures, tantamount to entering "a cage of fire."

Women Children and Sex

In spite of a personal history of appreciating and respecting women, I learned that women are the enemies of spiritual life, not only because their very presence invokes lust, but because they themselves are of a lower, more sensual order of being. Women are, in fact, the very embodiment of Maya, the universal force of material illusion, and therefore must be covered ankle to neck.

In weak moments, I learned that ample sensuality may be observed in the faces, hands and feet of young women, and in the shifting folds of their modest saris.

I learned that for a person on the spiritual path, the worst possible thing he can do is to engage in illicit sex (i.e., sex for any purpose other than creating godly children within marriage). I learned that non-procreational sex displeases God and fatally undermines any hope of spiritual progress.

I learned that my ex-girlfriends were bloodsuckers. Since, according to the guru, it takes forty drops of blood to produce one drop of semen, when my girlfriends had sex with me they were draining me of my vital energies. No matter how kind, beautiful or intelligent they might have seemed at the time, they were de facto vampires.

Here is an archive of information about the International Society of Krishna Consciousness.

[www.culteducation.com]

ISKON and drug smuggling

[www.culteducation.com]

ISKON and child abuse at Krishna temples and Krishna boarding schools

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

But, if you are an outsider, you are what they call a 'karmi' -- an inferior deluded creature trapped in karma.

You are either a potential recruit or, if you refuse, a demonic foe.

San Francisco's Haight Ashbury District has been a tourist spot for years.

Even more tourists are pouring into "The Haight" due to the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love.

For the past 3 to 4 months, Hare Krishnas have been on Haight Street handing
out free copies of the Bhagavad Gita --- with the Hare Krishna cult commentary on the text written Srila Prabhupada, the founder.

It is the First Amendment right of the Krishnas to do outreach. They come across as charming and friendly people. Being mean to them would make most of us feel as though we are kicking a puppy.

These New Model Hare Krishas do not look spaced out. They are well spoken. They are welcoming and charming. They are the kind of people who would make any business or cause look good.

Back to Haight Street, 2017. You are standing there chatting with your ISKON recruiter. He will be happy to let you take selfies with him so you can share all this on social media.

Put your encounter on social media and, without knowing it, you will be doing
free publicity for the Krishnas. Learn a bit about their real history before
you give them that publicity.

No. The ISKON sect is a tiny, very tiny sect within Hinduism. It is not even ancient. ISKON is a devotional, bhakti sect within Hinduism. The various Bhakti sects developed in medieval India, not ancient India.

ISKON is a subsect of the Gaudiya Vaishnava bhakti sect. The adi Guru (founding guru)of the Gauidya Vaisnavas was Chaitanya, born in Bengal, Western India in the 16th Century, a mere 400 years ago.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism (also known as Chaitanya Vaishnavism and Hare Krishnas) is a Vaishnava religious movement founded by Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu (1486–1534) in India in the 16th century. Caitanya Mahaprabhu rejuvenated the culture of Krsna bhakti. "Gaudiya" refers to the Gauda region (present day West Bengal & Bangladesh) and Vaishnavism meaning "the worship of Vishnu". Its philosophical basis is primarily that of the Bhagavad Gita and Bhagavata Purana, as well as other Puranic scriptures and Upanishads.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2019 08:56PM by corboy.

Date: January 19, 2019 02:47AM

WARNING-
I smell an "EVOLUTION":

From the Facebook page of
Bart Dame
January 15 at 7:43 AM ·

I was in Kailua yesterday and when a neighbor saw me, he made a point of coming over to tell me that he participates in a non-political email group when a member called attention to the news of Tulsi's announcement she was running for president. My neighbor said one of the members said she was interested in hearing Bart Dame's opinion.
I had to laugh when he told me that. But SINCE I WAS ASKED, here are some more of my thoughts, along with my recommendation that people take 2 or 3 minutes to read Dave Shapiro's commentary. I think he does a very good job of articulating many of the problems with Tulsi's announcement and her attack on Mazie Hirono.
I realize my views on Tulsi are more ambiguous and conflicted than many people, including people I respect and have affection for. Some people adore her uncritically, embarrassingly so. Those folks do not like it when I criticize her. For some of them, ANY criticism of her helps "the Establishment" Democrats.
Some of my friends and (often) allies clearly HATE Tulsi. Some of them are hostile because of her vicious and mean spirited political activity prior to her 2012 run for Congress when she suddenly "EVOLVED," which is the word her supporters consistently use to describe her 180 degree reversal on key issues, particularly on LGBT rights and, with less attention, her newfound support for the right to abortion.
Some people are hostile to Tulsi because THEIR uncritical adoration for a politician was fixated upon Hillary Clinton and Tulsi had the audacity to oppose Clinton's campaign for the Democratic nomination and hit Clinton hard for her enthusiasm for violent "regime change" in the greater Middle East.
Some people are outraged against Tulsi for what they see as her pattern of cozying up to dictators overseas, citing Bashar Assad of Syria, Abdel el-Sisi of Egypt, Narendra Modi of India, Vladimir Putin of Russia and Donald Trump, currently of the USA. (Note: I do not accept this characterization of her views on these leaders, except for her tight alliance with Narendra Modi. In particular, I think her views on Syria are much more complicated, and --in the main--more defensible than these critics will admit.)
Finally, there are those who have noted that Tulsi has often sought out to have friendly relations and tactical alliances with conservative Republican colleagues in Congress while refusing to align with her fellow Democrats on key bills, seeming more concerned with using photo ops and press releases to cultivate an IMAGE rather than work collectively to pass legislation.
OK, I have greatly expanded my original post with these additional comments. Those who "liked" my original, lean post, should feel free to remove their vote of approval if they have problems with my extra, excessive verbiage.
I will respond to many of Dave's points in a (hopefully) orderly fashion in the comments below.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

David Shapiro: Gabbard plays both sides in angling for White House

By David Shapiro, Special to the Star-Advertiser January 13, 2019 Updated January 13, 2019 5:06pm

CINDY ELLEN RUSSELL / CRUSSELL@STARADVERTISER.COM

Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard spoke at the Democratic Unity breakfast held after the primary elections at Dole Cannery, August 12, 2018.

ADVERTISING

At 37, Hawaii U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard has little record of substantive achievement during stints in the Legislature, City Council and U.S. Congress. Few peers seem to look to her for leadership.

Yet her relentless self-­promotion has gained enough attention that she thinks she can be president.

Gabbard built her prominence on a twist to the old political adage that you pick your fights carefully: She carefully picks fights with her own Democratic Party.

The latest example was her op-ed in The Hill accusing Hawaii U.S. Sen. Mazie Hirono and other Democrats of “religious bigotry” for asking U.S. District Court nominee Brian Buescher about belonging to the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic group that opposes abortion and gay marriage.

While ripping politicians in general for weaponizing religion for “selfish gain,” she singled out only fellow Democrats, bringing a rebuke from Hirono that Gabbard is pandering to “right-wing ideologues.”

She’s right that nobody should be disqualified from service solely because of their religion; but many of President Donald Trump’s appointees have openly blurred the line between church and state, and it’s fair to ask how their beliefs would affect public policy.

Gabbard hasn’t been nearly as vocal against the political weaponizing of faith by the religious right, which applauded her attack on Democrats.

Junior legislators who pick fights with the opposing party are a dime a dozen and get little notice. Gabbard figured out that fighting with her own party makes her a fixture on cable news and gets her op-eds in The Hill.

She’s bashed former President Barack Obama for being too soft on “radical Islam,” quit the Democratic National Committee in a huff to support Bernie Sanders and blasted Hillary Clinton for not giving Sanders enough debates — ironic coming from somebody who won’t debate her own opponents.

Her ultimate endorsement of Clinton was lukewarm, and she avoided disparaging Trump, saying she didn’t know him.

The reason became clear when she was among the first after the election to audition at Trump Tower for a Cabinet job; only after it didn’t materialize did she start seriously criticizing Trump.

Gabbard paints herself progressive by embracing Sanders while courting the Republican right with persistent criticism of Democrats over national security and religion.

Internationally she proclaims herself a peacenik, but it’s a peace where the strongman always wins, judging from her coziness with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, Egyptian tyrant Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and India’s nationalist leader Narendra Modi.

Former Trump strategist and alt-right guru Steve Bannon has said he “loves” her, and Gabbard was touted for secretary of state by former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke.

She eventually disavowed white nationalist support, but it hasn’t stopped Democrats from wondering why these folks like her so much.

Reach David Shapiro at volcanicash@gmail.com.

Date: January 19, 2019 03:02AM

Tulsi Gabbard’s presidential fantasy: “A remarkably bad launch”

Posted on January 15, 2019 by Ian Lind | 7 Comments

That was the comment of a friend in Hawaii following Gabbard’s announcement of a presidential run.

He pointed to just some of the reporting prompted by Gabbard’s move.

“Not a great start for Tulsi,” he observed. That seems a fair conclusion.

Rolling Stone: “Tulsi Gabbard’s 2020 Campaign May Be Over Before It Starts”

Roll Call: “Tulsi Gabbard ‘regrets’ past anti-gay activism as she prepares for presidential race”

CNN: “Tulsi Gabbard once touted working for anti-gay group that backed conversion therapy”

I suppose we’re supposed to feel warm and fuzzy now that another Hawaii figure is making a bid for the White House. But Gabbard is widely viewed warily, and with reason.

Gabbard’s new prominence will undoubtedly prompt more reporting on her background with and continuing ties to the cult known as the Science of Identity.

When Gabbard first ran for a seat in Congress, Hawaii voters who were aware of Gabbard’s past had to decide whether she had actually rejected her former beliefs or whether she was masking them in order to pursue an ambitious political agenda.

She says her views on LGBTQ issues have made a 180 degree turnaround.

But the reality isn’t clear. Gabbard’s aunt, in a letter published by the New Yorker Magazine in November 2017, made public her own concerns about Gabbard’s real political agenda, the status of her ties to the Science of Identity Foundation, and her praise of political strongmen here and abroad.

It has been noted that Gabbard’s Congressional staff and her campaign have included a number of individuals with ties to Science of Identity.

And, as others have reported, Gabbard’s campaign has gone to great lengths to insulate her from questions about her past and present ties to the group, stifling questions at campaign events and allegedly hounding reporters who have attempted to pursue the issue.

Christine Gralow, a Hawaii-based investigative reporter, is one of those who has done extensive digging into Gabbard’s past and present, and says she has suffered as a result.

Her reporting can be found at her website, “Meanwhile in Hawaii“. It is essential reading.

A piece published today in the Washington Monthly raises again the question of Gabbard’s cult background, and asks, “Can Democrats trust Tusi Gabbard?”

The answer is, well, questionable.

By Ian Lind
- - - - - - - - - - - -

This entry was posted in Campaigns, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.
8 RESPONSES TO “TULSI GABBARD’S PRESIDENTIAL FANTASY: “A REMARKABLY BAD LAUNCH””

Stanford Masui | January 15, 2019 at 11:39 am | Reply
Ian: Tulsi also has the issue of support from Hindu nationalists which likewise alienate most progressives, her only base of support, and it is only a sliver of that base which will be shared with Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders (if he runs). The Rolling Stone comment is probably accurate.

Tim | January 15, 2019 at 11:52 am | Reply
in face of questions from the darn gotcha media, Gabbard likely would follow the Trump model: ‘say anything and your base will believe it.
Fortunately, Gabbard has no base. thank god. wouldn’t surprise me at all if she championed herself as the voice of the #metoo movement and as a Rambo war hero at the same time. she really needs to get into acting, like Reagan.

Bill | January 15, 2019 at 6:11 pm | Reply
Ian, you are a grumpy old man that has forgotten your anti-establishment roots.

Lighten up brother. Tulsi is not the enemy. She is a breath of fresh air.

[i]Tim | January 16, 2019 at 1:13 pm | Reply
this is a breath of fresh air???? lmfao

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard in the early 2000s touted working for her father’s anti-gay organization, which mobilized to pass a measure against same-sex marriage in Hawaii and promoted controversial conversion therapy.
Gabbard, a Democrat from Hawaii, said Friday in an interview with CNN’s Van Jones that she will seek her party’s nomination for president in 2020. Her past views and activism in opposition to LGBT rights in the late 90s and early 2000s, which put her out of step with most of the Democratic Party at the time, have come under more intense scrutiny since her announcement.
Although Gabbard’s positions on LGBT rights have shifted dramatically in more recent years (she signed a 2013 amicus brief supporting Edith Windsor’s challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act), the extent of Gabbard’s past anti-gay activism has already drawn criticism from prominent Democrats and will likely be a major issue for her as she seeks the party’s nomination.

And before you make excuses for her, please keep in mind that politicians lie whenever they need to. that’s how they get elected. Gabbard will say ANYTHING to grasp at votes. this is no breath of ‘fresh air’.[/i]

Christine Gralow | January 15, 2019 at 6:33 pm | Reply
Thanks Ian. I was, in fact, targeted in many bizarre ways by people deeply involved with Gabbard and the Science of Identity sect, aka Butler followers. It was traumatic. I feel better now that the whole truth will likely come out. They’d have to track and target hundreds of journalists now to try to stop the truth from surfacing. The surveillance of me started after I asked good questions at a Gabbard town hall. I think I was the first one to start to really get to the bottom of the Science of Identity-connected money laundering charges in India. Can’t wait for that to get more deeply explored. Healthy, benign religious organizations don’t stalk journalists and critical constituents. Members of healthy, benign religious groups also don’t deny they’re even involved in the group. And responsible U.S. Reps don’t pay D.C. public relations fixers to try to personally discredit journalist.

Sprezz | January 16, 2019 at 8:14 am | Reply
To paraphrase Clint Eastwood: “Tulsi’s got to know her limitations.”

Zigzaguant | January 16, 2019 at 10:08 am | Reply
Like Will Rogers said to crowds that showed up for his performances, “Well, what shall I talk about? I ain’t got anything funny to say. All I know is what I read in the papers.”

And just what of operation is this presidential run?. Who are the people involved in it–the thinkers, planners, operatives, money people…?

[www.ilind.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.