Re: Chris Butler, Jagad Guru, Science of Identity
Posted by: Vera City ()
Date: June 26, 2012 04:52AM

Like I have been saying all along. The Gabbard's are known Butlerites. So why doesn't anyone care?
Here is the article from the Way Back Machine atheist mentioned.

The Gospel According to Mike Gabbard
Who’s done more to limit gay rights — and impugn homosexuals — than any single Hawai‘i citizen? Meet Mike Gabbard.
Chad Blair
January 27, 1999

When Hawai‘i voters decided by a two-thirds majority last November that gays and lesbians did not deserve marriage rights, the state sent a message worldwide: Hawai‘i is not a paradise of tolerance.
The chief Hawai‘i spokesperson in opposition to homosexual marriage has been Mike Gabbard, 51, founder and chair of the Alliance for Traditional Marriage. Gabbard’s message: Homosexuality is unnatural, as well as morally and spiritually repugnant.
A Windward O‘ahu resident and devoted follower of a religious group that has received attention in years past for its members’ involvement in conservative (some might say reactionary) political efforts, Gabbard (once a staffer for rabidly anti-abortion former state Senator Rick Reed) has made a crusade out of his belief that Hawai‘i must "Stop Promoting Homosexuality," as the organization he co-founded in 1991 is titled. He has been untiring and forceful in the articulation of this agenda, despite the attacks on him — and his business endeavors — this platform has inspired.
While Mormons, the Roman Catholic church and Christian Religious Right organizations supported the same-sex marriage ban with enormous financial resources, it was Gabbard, a devotee of Krishna — tanned and fit, wearing a floral lei and a Hawaiian print shirt — who personified the drive. Gabbard’s visage graced many a television news program last fall, and his words made headlines. Even Time magazine quoted him.
On TV, where most people see him, Gabbard always appears confident and pleasant. Yet while he professes much "compassion" for homosexuals, this compassion is based on the belief that lesbians and gays have chosen a lifestyle that is perverse and decadent — one that could lead to the dispersion of perverse and decadent ideals throughout society.
During the election season, television commercials, many paid for by Save Traditional Marriage ’98, aired suggesting that gay marriage could lead to other "unnatural" alliances — between people and animals, for example. Gabbard served on STM’s steering committee.
Other spots warned that legalization of gay marriage would lead school curricula to reflect pro-gay sensibilities.
Now that a ban on gay marriage has been approved, Gabbard has turned his attention to Gov. Ben Cayetano’s endorsement of domestic partnership benefits for Hawai‘i’s same-sex couples, calling this a "betrayal" of voters’ wishes.
In an extensive conversation with Mike Gabbard, we asked him why he has made a life’s work out of this crusade to convince Hawai‘i’s people that homosexuality is wrong.
"One morning I woke up to a world in which an unnatural, unhealthy, immoral activity, which was taking thousands of lives, was being portrayed in the media as moral, natural, healthy and normal," he replied. "I believe that all of our problems — be they environmental, crime, health, economic, wars, etc. — can be traced to people holding on to and living by [a] hedonistic and therefore selfish world view. ... This is why [homosexuality] is such an important issue to me."
Gabbard is a man of contrasts and contradictions. He openly discusses sexual practices that rarely see the light of day, yet he is secretive about his own livelihood. His views about gay lifestyles are heavily formed by mainstream Judeo-Christian teachings, yet Gabbard himself is a follower of a fringe group of a minority religion in America. He believes in democratic processes, yet he also thinks government should acknowledge majority views that suppress the freedoms of a minority. Gabbard cites extensive research supporting his views on gays, yet he ignores a growing body of scientific research — biological, psychological and social — showing human sexual orientation to be innate, or, perhaps, irrelevant.
Just who is Mike Gabbard ... really?

The "Gay Deception"
Gabbard himself is hardly a foaming-at-the-mouth monster. Rather, he is soft-spoken and clear-headed, and he smiles beatifically at supporters as well as detractors.
He can be seen for a half-hour or so each Sunday at 5 p.m., on cable-access channel 54.
The Gay Deception is not an ambiguous program: An opening video montage, accompanied by dramatic-sounding music, shows gays and lesbians kissing, touching and holding hands. Fear of gay adoption is implied, as is the increasing (and, by implication, unwanted) presence of gays in mainstream America.
As the montage ends, Gabbard himself comes on the screen, the Pacific Ocean crashing on the rocks behind him. Looking directly at the camera, unblinking in the hot sun, Gabbard explains that his show "sets the record straight" on the true nature of homosexuality.
The Jan. 10 episode of The Gay Deception was typical. On that program, Gabbard interviewed a woman identified as Judith Reisman, billed as president of the "Institute for Media Education."
With the presumed authority of a Ph.D., Reisman explains to viewers the "fallacy" that is homosexuality. The well-known studies of Alfred Kinsey, a U.S. zoologist who first reported on sexuality in 1948, are mostly to blame, Reisman reports, for the common view today that homosexuality is not uncommon.
As Gabbard nods approvingly, Reisman further states (citing anecdotal evidence, rather than academic research) that gays wish to "recruit" from impressionable young people.
"It is not normal, not natural, not rewarding," Reisman says of homosexuality. Then, revealing a limited outlook on the nature of gay sex, she continues: "True intimacy involves looking directly in the face of one’s lover during copulation, seeing into each other’s eyes." In Reisman’s view, apparently, sex between homosexuals is defined by one position.
In Mike Gabbard’s world view, in turn, there is little room for variation. "I am accused of being a hatemonger, but I’ve never given anyone AIDS," he says. "I’ve not hurt or killed anyone. Whereas homosexuals, supposedly the great lovers of mankind, continue to engage in activities that are ripping each other apart physically and mentally."

The Deli Dispute
Born in American Samoa, Gabbard obtained a bachelor’s in English from Sonoma State University in California and a master’s in community college administration from Oregon State University. He first moved to Hawai‘i in 1977 as a tennis professional, then returned to Samoa. Moving back to Hawai‘i in 1983, he worked as the headmaster of a private K-12 school and later as owner of a vegetarian restaurant, the Natural Deli in Mo¯‘ili‘ili.
It was in this latter position that Gabbard broke through to the public’s consciousness.
In January 1992, gay-rights activists started a minor media furor by picketing the Natural Deli, which subleased a portion of what was then called Healthy’s/Down To Earth natural foods store on South King Street. (At that time the foods store, affiliated with a Mainland-based chain, had board members connected to Sen. Reed and the Krishna group to which Gabbard belongs.) [Note - this was NOT a mainland based chain but started by Butler in Hawaii. His followers had health food stores on Maui, Kauai, and on Oahu. Butler directed every one of them and profits supported him.]
Gabbard had attracted the wrath of gay-rights advocates with a KGU AM 760 radio program, "Let’s Talk Straight, Hawai‘i," launched in November 1991. After telling a caller on-air that he would, all else being equal, prefer a heterosexual applicant over a gay or lesbian worker, members of the Gay and Lesbian Education and Advocacy Foundation began handing out leaflets outside the deli, decrying Gabbard’s "potential for discrimination."
Gabbard, on his part, says the discrimination charge was "blatantly untrue" — that the deli did not inquire about sexual orientation in hiring, while the protests interfered with his right to free speech.
For the next two weeks, marches were held day and night in front of the deli, pressuring Gabbard to cease his radio program. Gabbard claims he was threatened with bodily harm and customers were harassed. By February, with his livelihood "going down the drain," he says, Gabbard closed the deli.
The KGU show continued, despite protests from the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. A similar show went on air at KWAI FM 108 in the summer of 1992. Protests prompted KWAI’s owners to drop this second program shortly, however, citing Gabbard’s "divisive" views and labeling the program "homophobic." Gabbard charged the station with censorship and possessing a pro-gay agenda. Later, the KGU show would be dropped, too, when the station was sold to new owners.
Gabbard maintains he has continued working as a small businessman, but he declined to give the Weekly the source of his livelihood. "How do I survive? … For obvious reasons, I won’t give you any specifics, because if word gets out, homosexual activists will simply target me once again," he says.

Krishna and Dogma
Though he has been misrepresented as a Christian activist, Gabbard is a devotee of the Hindu god Krishna and a student of Jagad Guru ("teacher of the world") Chris Butler.
Butler, once a disciple of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami, leader of the Krishna movement in Hawai‘i, broke away in the early 1970s to lead an independent group called Honolulu Mantra Meditation Hawai‘i. Butler and his group haven’t received much public attention lately, but during Rick Reed’s 1990 reelection campaign, when the state senator was drawing fire for his stance on abortion and gay rights, Reed was charged with drawing his platform from Butler’s teachings — which hold, among other things, that abortion is an "offense against God." (After Honolulu Weekly staffer Derek Ferrar reported on these connections between Reed, Gabbard and Butler, in an Aug. 12, 1992, story titled "Rick Reed’s Inner Self," nearly 7,000 newspapers disappeared from the racks in many locations.)

On homosexuality, Butler evokes the Bhagavad-Gita, which states that marriage is for procreation and thus between only a man and woman. Gabbard follows that scripture, too, as well as similar passages in the Bible.
"Homosexual marriage activists simply cannot produce any scriptural evidence that supports their cause," Gabbard charges. He views those who choose a homosexual lifestyle as embracing a "false identity," one that gives into base desires rather than suppresses them. Similar desires, Gabbard says, lead to heterosexuals cheating on their lovers, or to the consumption of meat, which Hindus abhor.
"The reality is we are not our desires," says Gabbard. "Our true nature is spiritual, and controlling our desires is what makes us human beings and sets us apart from animals."
Gabbard further argues there is no conclusive evidence that "so-called sexual orientation" is genetic; therefore, he holds, homosexuality is unacceptable.
Nonsense, say medical professionals.
"Homosexuality is as natural as anything else," says Milton Diamond, a professor at the University of Hawai‘i’s John A. Burns School of Medicine and a well-known expert on sexual development.
Pointing to recent studies of human brain and fingerprint patterns, Diamond says homosexuality, per se, is not a choice. Diamond, however, also recognizes the possibility that a person can choose a gay "lifestyle" — or experience attractions to people of either sex.
"We’re talking about a wide spectrum where there are all sorts of ranges in terms of human sexuality," the professor says.
Gabbard sees no range. In an unsolicited missive sent the Weekly (by fax; our Q&A with Gabbard was conducted in writing), under the heading, "a few last thoughts that may be helpful in defining ‘who is Mike Gabbard,’" he states: "Nature tells us that it’s not a good idea to be inserting penises (or other foreign objects) into the anus/rectum because these excretory organs are designed specifically for eliminating things, not putting things into them."
He continues, "Putting aside AIDS for the moment, public health stats reveal diseases like gonorrhea, syphilis, hepatitis A and B, cytomegalovirus, amoebic bowel disease and herpes occur at much higher rates in homosexuals than in the general population. Unfortunately, when out of genuine concern and compassion for others, we bring these facts up and say that anal sex is unnatural, unhealthy behavior that should be discouraged in society, homosexual activists and their supporters point their fingers at us, venomously saying, ‘Hatemonger, homophobe!’"
Diamond, in contrast, sees nothing "unnatural" about varying sexual practices. "The same neural endings in your genitals are the same as those in the anus, and this can be erogenous," he explains. "So can a person’s shoulders, or ears, or wherever. Gabbard is misinformed and unschooled."
Gabbard remains skeptical.
"Only the press, and a few researchers, primarily homosexual activists, falsely claim in sound bites that they’ve found the ‘gay gene,’" he says.

Godly Government
Gabbard first became active in local politics with his support of former Maui state Sen. Reed. Reed often made headlines — as when he said in 1985 he supported concentration camps for HIV-positive patients. Reed also once introduced a bill to prohibit school teachers from teaching alternative sexual lifestyles.
Additionally, Reed was linked to a Chris Butler-influenced group called Independents for Godly Government, a short-lived political party that actually fielded a few candidates in the late 1970s.
Like Reed, who left Hawai‘i in the early 1990s, Gabbard feels religion should not be entirely ignored by government.
"The problem I’ve seen when [separation of church and state] is brought up is that many times people who have deeply held religious and moral beliefs are treated like second-class citizens," he adds. "That somehow, their point of view is not legitimate or bona fide. The fact is, on public policy issues, all ideas should be brought to the table and welcomed during discussions and debates."
And if those who espouse gay rights are silenced or disempowered during this process? Gabbard sees this as checks and balances in action.
"When the governor or legislators make bad decisions, we can vote them out of office the next election," he says. "When judges make bad decisions ... the only recourse voters have is to amend the Constitution."
This, of course, raises the issue of civil rights — rights that are protected regardless of mass sentiment.
"What Gabbard fails to remember is that our country has been engaged in a long battle to bring the United States to a place and a time where diversity and tolerance are fluid, not only in principle but in practice," comments Vanessa Chong, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, Hawai‘i chapter. "Gabbard wants government to prefer a religious viewpoint, but that’s prohibited by the First Amendment.
"The same-sex amendment is also gender discrimination under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment," Chong argues.
But Gabbard does not see a problem with religious groups instructing the government to oppress a minority sexual orientation.
"The argument our opponents [i.e., Protect Our Constitution and the Human Rights Campaign] made about separation of church and state didn’t work and won’t work in the future," he says, noting that diverse religious organizations all worked toward the same goal. "The attempt to scare people into believing that one particular church or religion was trying to take over the state was something that rang so untrue that people were not able to accept it."
Yet Gabbard clearly wants religion to fundamentally influence government.
"Gabbard would like church and state to fuse together as one," Chong holds. "That’s dangerous and divisive, and that’s why the government must remain neutral. A majority should not be able to push around a poor, powerless or unpopular minority."

Traditional Alliances
The Alliance for Traditional Marriage-Hawai‘i was formed in July 1996 as a political action committee. An organization without members, but with supporters from all islands, ATM bills itself as a "nonsectarian, multireligious and multi-ethnic group" dedicated to the goal of preserving and protecting traditional marriage.
Gabbard formed the PAC, he says, out of frustration in dealing with politicians who seemed unresponsive to concerns about same-sex marriage. Were the state to openly accept homosexual relationships, says Gabbard, a "Pandora’s Box" could be opened.
"Once the state gives approval to that idea or world view, all sexual desires would have to be recognized and approved, not discriminated against," he says. "This would undercut the entire concept of morality, which is the basis for civilization."
Though founder and chairman, Gabbard says that he is neither paid nor supported by ATM, though he does "call the shots."
Indeed, he implements ATM’s agenda. Gabbard and his supporters were instrumental in targeting key legislators seen as gay-friendly. To that end, Senate Judiciary Chair Rey Graulty lost his seat in November 1996, as did House Representatives Len Pepper, Devon Nekoba and Jim Shon.
"It was at this time that Gabbard really came onto the scene," says Honolulu attorney Dan Foley, who represents three same-sex couples who first filed for marriage rights in 1991. "He pinpointed certain election districts with mass mailings, because these people opposed his views on gays."
Foley believes the ’96 election was a turning point, not only for the same-sex marriage issue but Gabbard’s public profile.
Gabbard’s successful targeting certainly drew the attention of state politicians.
"He’s dogmatic, hardworking and methodical in his approach," comments state Senator Matt Matsunaga. "He represents a segment of the population that is fearful of something they just don’t know, afraid if gays had similar rights as nongays. His point of view — that homosexuality is provably wrong — well, if you believe that, then everything [he does] follows logically."
Matsunaga calls Gabbard "the X-factor" in the 1998 same-sex ballot initiative.
"He motivated his followers to go out there, hold signs, to vote ‘Yes,’" Matsunaga explains. The senator expects Gabbard to play a role in the legislative debate over reciprocal benefits this year.
Gabbard was initially quiet as the ’98 campaign developed, letting others, like STM ’98’s Jennifer Diesman and Linda Rosehill, do most of the talking (Rosehill runs a Honolulu PR firm, while Diesman recently left the same firm to work for Hawai‘i Medical Service Association). Father Marc Alexander of Sacred Hearts Parish also emerged as an outspoken critic.
By September, however, Gabbard was the chief figure in the battle. Featured in an hour-long debate with Alexander against POC’s Jackie Young and Ku‘u Gomes, Hawai‘i television viewers tuned in to a heated exchange of diametrically opposed positions. When he suggested to Gomes that she could actually change her sexual orientation — Gomes is a lesbian — he illustrated the great divide that separates Hawai‘i citizens who cannot seem to reach common ground.
A massive advertising campaign by both sides intensified the issue. By election night, it was Gabbard who emerged triumphant.
"I told the media that night, ‘Shame on you, Mike Gabbard,’ because I deplore the kind of politics where the ends justify the means," says POC’s Young. "He’s a zealot who thinks that he has a mandate, as if he himself was elected last November. He does not want to support anything that honors somebody else’s differences — in this case, sexual orientation."
But Gabbard categorized the same-sex marriage ban as a victory for democracy, demonstrating that the system works.
"What I’ve noticed is that homosexual activists talk down to people," he says. "They don’t respect the feelings of the people in this community. ... Homosexual marriage advocates were calling us bigots, uneducated, gay-bashers, stupid, backward, or haters. ... People were pissed off at being compared to Nazis, with the images of internment camps of Japanese Americans.
"The view of most people in Hawai‘i is that we tolerate homosexual relationships as long as they do not force us to give our approval to it," Gabbard concludes. "The tolerance is already there."

Force of Nature
Gabbard says his religious and intellectual understanding of the "true nature" of homosexuality motivates him to fight and defeat the "homosexual agenda." But some critics wonder if there is more to Mike Gabbard than Hinduism.
"I don’t know what drives him," says attorney Foley, "but he seems obsessed with homosexuality. I’ve never seen anything quite like it." Foley adds that he thinks Gabbard has peaked in influence, and that this influence will gradually decline.
Carolyn Golojuch, president of the Hawai‘i chapter of Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, is perplexed by Gabbard’s commitment as well. She sat in on a radio program during a call-in show last August. When Golojuch (nee Martinez), who is Hispanic, linked racial discrimination with sexual-orientation discrimination, Gabbard forcefully objected on air.
"He is so angry," Golojuch says of Gabbard. "There’s something behind him that we just don’t know about. Why else would he devote his life to denying human rights to a segment of our population?"
Others do not see anger or mystery in Gabbard, however. Richard Fried, a Honolulu trial lawyer, who’s played tennis with Gabbard for 15 years, calls Gabbard "the fairest person I know. … Yes, he’s competitive, but he’s really rather quiet, even mellow. He’s not the wild, raving madman that is sometimes depicted in the media."
Another friend, attorney Jim Hochberg, says Gabbard has more integrity than any of his opponents.
"This is a man who put his family’s socio-economic status on the line to speak out on what he feels is right," says Hochberg, who was one of two dissenting members of Governor Ben Cayetano’s 1995 seven-member Commission on Sexual Orientation and the Law. The commission’s majority report determined that sexual orientation was worthy of equal protection under the law in regards to marriage benefits.
"The media makes him out to be a bogey man, but this simply isn’t true. He has so much compassion for people who choose a gay lifestyle."
Hochberg essentially agrees with his friend’s views on homosexuality, though, unlike Gabbard, he is open to consideration of benefits for domestic partners.
"Mike knows his views are correct," says Hochberg. "He’s worked through the issues, all the research, and made a careful determination. This is a man who believes what he says."
Though weary of the time and energy he has spent in his campaigns against homosexuality, Gabbard would not appear to be ending his crusade anytime soon. Cayetano’s statement in his December inaugural that he would seek to establish domestic partnerships is Gabbard’s next battleground.
"If Gov. Cayetano tries to push the equivalent of same-sex marriage down the throats of the people of Hawai‘i, disguising it as domestic partnerships or whatever, he and legislators who support him will find themselves politically in hot water. … Marriage and families are the bedrock of civilization," he observes. "Government and society show their appreciation for the nuclear family and relatives by offering them special benefits."
Yet when half of all Hawai‘i’s marriages end in divorce, the "special position" of marriage is certainly suspect.
Additionally, as many as half of Hawai‘i voters — the same ones that oppose gay marriage — have also told pollsters that unmarried partners, same-sex included, should be permitted reciprocal benefits.
From Gabbard’s perspective, however, benefits constitute societal acceptance of homosexuality.
"Why is Cayetano pushing for a new [domestic partnership] law, instead of sticking with the [reciprocal benefits] statute? … Because he wants to give special recognition to homosexual couples. He wants to designate a new law that is exclusively for homosexual couples," Gabbard says. "By doing so, he and his homosexual activist supporters will achieve their goal — social approval of homosexual relationships."
Are abortion rights next? Many religious groups, including Hindus, also detest abortion. Some Hawai‘i activists fear that the Nov. 3 vote set a dangerous precedent.
"This is only the beginning," says Jackie Young, pointing to Christian Right groups that have long targeted abortion.
Gabbard claims to have no interest in other agendas, and says he would like to have more time for a personal life: "spending time with my family, playing music, surfing, playing tennis and teaching meditation and bhakti-yoga." He also brushes off queries into possible personal explanations for his views on homosexuality.
He does, however, offer a perspective on enemies who would analyze his motives.
"Some frustrated homosexual activists and their allies in the media ... are saying that those who are fighting against the social approval of homosexual behavior are doing so because they are closet homosexuals or … they have homosexual tendencies, and they’re trying to repress them," he says.
His response? By this reasoning, "those who are the most anti-Mike Gabbard, in fact, in the core of their hearts … really want to be like me."
When Hawai‘i voters decided by a two-thirds majority last November that gays and lesbians did not deserve marriage rights, the state sent a message worldwide: Hawai‘i is not a paradise of tolerance.
The chief Hawai‘i spokesperson in opposition to homosexual marriage has been Mike Gabbard, 51, founder and chair of the Alliance for Traditional Marriage. Gabbard’s message: Homosexuality is unnatural, as well as morally and spiritually repugnant.
A Windward O‘ahu resident and devoted follower of a religious group that has received attention in years past for its members’ involvement in conservative (some might say reactionary) political efforts, Gabbard (once a staffer for rabidly anti-abortion former state Senator Rick Reed) has made a crusade out of his belief that Hawai‘i must "Stop Promoting Homosexuality," as the organization he co-founded in 1991 is titled. He has been untiring and forceful in the articulation of this agenda, despite the attacks on him — and his business endeavors — this platform has inspired.
While Mormons, the Roman Catholic church and Christian Religious Right organizations supported the same-sex marriage ban with enormous financial resources, it was Gabbard, a devotee of Krishna — tanned and fit, wearing a floral lei and a Hawaiian print shirt — who personified the drive. Gabbard’s visage graced many a television news program last fall, and his words made headlines. Even Time magazine quoted him.
On TV, where most people see him, Gabbard always appears confident and pleasant. Yet while he professes much "compassion" for homosexuals, this compassion is based on the belief that lesbians and gays have chosen a lifestyle that is perverse and decadent — one that could lead to the dispersion of perverse and decadent ideals throughout society.
During the election season, television commercials, many paid for by Save Traditional Marriage ’98, aired suggesting that gay marriage could lead to other "unnatural" alliances — between people and animals, for example. Gabbard served on STM’s steering committee.
Other spots warned that legalization of gay marriage would lead school curricula to reflect pro-gay sensibilities.
Now that a ban on gay marriage has been approved, Gabbard has turned his attention to Gov. Ben Cayetano’s endorsement of domestic partnership benefits for Hawai‘i’s same-sex couples, calling this a "betrayal" of voters’ wishes.
In an extensive conversation with Mike Gabbard, we asked him why he has made a life’s work out of this crusade to convince Hawai‘i’s people that homosexuality is wrong.
"One morning I woke up to a world in which an unnatural, unhealthy, immoral activity, which was taking thousands of lives, was being portrayed in the media as moral, natural, healthy and normal," he replied. "I believe that all of our problems — be they environmental, crime, health, economic, wars, etc. — can be traced to people holding on to and living by [a] hedonistic and therefore selfish world view. ... This is why [homosexuality] is such an important issue to me."
Gabbard is a man of contrasts and contradictions. He openly discusses sexual practices that rarely see the light of day, yet he is secretive about his own livelihood. His views about gay lifestyles are heavily formed by mainstream Judeo-Christian teachings, yet Gabbard himself is a follower of a fringe group of a minority religion in America. He believes in democratic processes, yet he also thinks government should acknowledge majority views that suppress the freedoms of a minority. Gabbard cites extensive research supporting his views on gays, yet he ignores a growing body of scientific research — biological, psychological and social — showing human sexual orientation to be innate, or, perhaps, irrelevant.
Just who is Mike Gabbard ... really?

The "Gay Deception"
Gabbard himself is hardly a foaming-at-the-mouth monster. Rather, he is soft-spoken and clear-headed, and he smiles beatifically at supporters as well as detractors.
He can be seen for a half-hour or so each Sunday at 5 p.m., on cable-access channel 54.
The Gay Deception is not an ambiguous program: An opening video montage, accompanied by dramatic-sounding music, shows gays and lesbians kissing, touching and holding hands. Fear of gay adoption is implied, as is the increasing (and, by implication, unwanted) presence of gays in mainstream America.
As the montage ends, Gabbard himself comes on the screen, the Pacific Ocean crashing on the rocks behind him. Looking directly at the camera, unblinking in the hot sun, Gabbard explains that his show "sets the record straight" on the true nature of homosexuality.
The Jan. 10 episode of The Gay Deception was typical. On that program, Gabbard interviewed a woman identified as Judith Reisman, billed as president of the "Institute for Media Education."
With the presumed authority of a Ph.D., Reisman explains to viewers the "fallacy" that is homosexuality. The well-known studies of Alfred Kinsey, a U.S. zoologist who first reported on sexuality in 1948, are mostly to blame, Reisman reports, for the common view today that homosexuality is not uncommon.
As Gabbard nods approvingly, Reisman further states (citing anecdotal evidence, rather than academic research) that gays wish to "recruit" from impressionable young people.
"It is not normal, not natural, not rewarding," Reisman says of homosexuality. Then, revealing a limited outlook on the nature of gay sex, she continues: "True intimacy involves looking directly in the face of one’s lover during copulation, seeing into each other’s eyes." In Reisman’s view, apparently, sex between homosexuals is defined by one position.
In Mike Gabbard’s world view, in turn, there is little room for variation. "I am accused of being a hatemonger, but I’ve never given anyone AIDS," he says. "I’ve not hurt or killed anyone. Whereas homosexuals, supposedly the great lovers of mankind, continue to engage in activities that are ripping each other apart physically and mentally."

The Deli Dispute
Born in American Samoa, Gabbard obtained a bachelor’s in English from Sonoma State University in California and a master’s in community college administration from Oregon State University. He first moved to Hawai‘i in 1977 as a tennis professional, then returned to Samoa. Moving back to Hawai‘i in 1983, he worked as the headmaster of a private K-12 school and later as owner of a vegetarian restaurant, the Natural Deli in Mo¯‘ili‘ili.
It was in this latter position that Gabbard broke through to the public’s consciousness.
In January 1992, gay-rights activists started a minor media furor by picketing the Natural Deli, which subleased a portion of what was then called Healthy’s/Down To Earth natural foods store on South King Street. (At that time the foods store, affiliated with a Mainland-based chain, had board members connected to Sen. Reed and the Krishna group to which Gabbard belongs.)
Gabbard had attracted the wrath of gay-rights advocates with a KGU AM 760 radio program, "Let’s Talk Straight, Hawai‘i," launched in November 1991. After telling a caller on-air that he would, all else being equal, prefer a heterosexual applicant over a gay or lesbian worker, members of the Gay and Lesbian Education and Advocacy Foundation began handing out leaflets outside the deli, decrying Gabbard’s "potential for discrimination."
Gabbard, on his part, says the discrimination charge was "blatantly untrue" — that the deli did not inquire about sexual orientation in hiring, while the protests interfered with his right to free speech.
For the next two weeks, marches were held day and night in front of the deli, pressuring Gabbard to cease his radio program. Gabbard claims he was threatened with bodily harm and customers were harassed. By February, with his livelihood "going down the drain," he says, Gabbard closed the deli.
The KGU show continued, despite protests from the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. A similar show went on air at KWAI FM 108 in the summer of 1992. Protests prompted KWAI’s owners to drop this second program shortly, however, citing Gabbard’s "divisive" views and labeling the program "homophobic." Gabbard charged the station with censorship and possessing a pro-gay agenda. Later, the KGU show would be dropped, too, when the station was sold to new owners.
Gabbard maintains he has continued working as a small businessman, but he declined to give the Weekly the source of his livelihood. "How do I survive? … For obvious reasons, I won’t give you any specifics, because if word gets out, homosexual activists will simply target me once again," he says.

Krishna and Dogma
Though he has been misrepresented as a Christian activist, Gabbard is a devotee of the Hindu god Krishna and a student of Jagad Guru ("teacher of the world") Chris Butler.
Butler, once a disciple of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami, leader of the Krishna movement in Hawai‘i, broke away in the early 1970s to lead an independent group called Honolulu Mantra Meditation Hawai‘i. Butler and his group haven’t received much public attention lately, but during Rick Reed’s 1990 reelection campaign, when the state senator was drawing fire for his stance on abortion and gay rights, Reed was charged with drawing his platform from Butler’s teachings — which hold, among other things, that abortion is an "offense against God." (After Honolulu Weekly staffer Derek Ferrar reported on these connections between Reed, Gabbard and Butler, in an Aug. 12, 1992, story titled "Rick Reed’s Inner Self," nearly 7,000 newspapers disappeared from the racks in many locations.)
On homosexuality, Butler evokes the Bhagavad-Gita, which states that marriage is for procreation and thus between only a man and woman. Gabbard follows that scripture, too, as well as similar passages in the Bible.
"Homosexual marriage activists simply cannot produce any scriptural evidence that supports their cause," Gabbard charges. He views those who choose a homosexual lifestyle as embracing a "false identity," one that gives into base desires rather than suppresses them. Similar desires, Gabbard says, lead to heterosexuals cheating on their lovers, or to the consumption of meat, which Hindus abhor.
"The reality is we are not our desires," says Gabbard. "Our true nature is spiritual, and controlling our desires is what makes us human beings and sets us apart from animals."
Gabbard further argues there is no conclusive evidence that "so-called sexual orientation" is genetic; therefore, he holds, homosexuality is unacceptable.
Nonsense, say medical professionals.
"Homosexuality is as natural as anything else," says Milton Diamond, a professor at the University of Hawai‘i’s John A. Burns School of Medicine and a well-known expert on sexual development.
Pointing to recent studies of human brain and fingerprint patterns, Diamond says homosexuality, per se, is not a choice. Diamond, however, also recognizes the possibility that a person can choose a gay "lifestyle" — or experience attractions to people of either sex.
"We’re talking about a wide spectrum where there are all sorts of ranges in terms of human sexuality," the professor says.
Gabbard sees no range. In an unsolicited missive sent the Weekly (by fax; our Q&A with Gabbard was conducted in writing), under the heading, "a few last thoughts that may be helpful in defining ‘who is Mike Gabbard,’" he states: "Nature tells us that it’s not a good idea to be inserting penises (or other foreign objects) into the anus/rectum because these excretory organs are designed specifically for eliminating things, not putting things into them."
He continues, "Putting aside AIDS for the moment, public health stats reveal diseases like gonorrhea, syphilis, hepatitis A and B, cytomegalovirus, amoebic bowel disease and herpes occur at much higher rates in homosexuals than in the general population. Unfortunately, when out of genuine concern and compassion for others, we bring these facts up and say that anal sex is unnatural, unhealthy behavior that should be discouraged in society, homosexual activists and their supporters point their fingers at us, venomously saying, ‘Hatemonger, homophobe!’"
Diamond, in contrast, sees nothing "unnatural" about varying sexual practices. "The same neural endings in your genitals are the same as those in the anus, and this can be erogenous," he explains. "So can a person’s shoulders, or ears, or wherever. Gabbard is misinformed and unschooled."
Gabbard remains skeptical.
"Only the press, and a few researchers, primarily homosexual activists, falsely claim in sound bites that they’ve found the ‘gay gene,’" he says.

Godly Government
Gabbard first became active in local politics with his support of former Maui state Sen. Reed. Reed often made headlines — as when he said in 1985 he supported concentration camps for HIV-positive patients. Reed also once introduced a bill to prohibit school teachers from teaching alternative sexual lifestyles.
Additionally, Reed was linked to a Chris Butler-influenced group called Independents for Godly Government, a short-lived political party that actually fielded a few candidates in the late 1970s.
Like Reed, who left Hawai‘i in the early 1990s, Gabbard feels religion should not be entirely ignored by government.
"The problem I’ve seen when [separation of church and state] is brought up is that many times people who have deeply held religious and moral beliefs are treated like second-class citizens," he adds. "That somehow, their point of view is not legitimate or bona fide. The fact is, on public policy issues, all ideas should be brought to the table and welcomed during discussions and debates."
And if those who espouse gay rights are silenced or disempowered during this process? Gabbard sees this as checks and balances in action.
"When the governor or legislators make bad decisions, we can vote them out of office the next election," he says. "When judges make bad decisions ... the only recourse voters have is to amend the Constitution."
This, of course, raises the issue of civil rights — rights that are protected regardless of mass sentiment.
"What Gabbard fails to remember is that our country has been engaged in a long battle to bring the United States to a place and a time where diversity and tolerance are fluid, not only in principle but in practice," comments Vanessa Chong, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, Hawai‘i chapter. "Gabbard wants government to prefer a religious viewpoint, but that’s prohibited by the First Amendment.
"The same-sex amendment is also gender discrimination under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment," Chong argues.
But Gabbard does not see a problem with religious groups instructing the government to oppress a minority sexual orientation.
"The argument our opponents [i.e., Protect Our Constitution and the Human Rights Campaign] made about separation of church and state didn’t work and won’t work in the future," he says, noting that diverse religious organizations all worked toward the same goal. "The attempt to scare people into believing that one particular church or religion was trying to take over the state was something that rang so untrue that people were not able to accept it."
Yet Gabbard clearly wants religion to fundamentally influence government.
"Gabbard would like church and state to fuse together as one," Chong holds. "That’s dangerous and divisive, and that’s why the government must remain neutral. A majority should not be able to push around a poor, powerless or unpopular minority."

Traditional Alliances
The Alliance for Traditional Marriage-Hawai‘i was formed in July 1996 as a political action committee. An organization without members, but with supporters from all islands, ATM bills itself as a "nonsectarian, multireligious and multi-ethnic group" dedicated to the goal of preserving and protecting traditional marriage.
Gabbard formed the PAC, he says, out of frustration in dealing with politicians who seemed unresponsive to concerns about same-sex marriage. Were the state to openly accept homosexual relationships, says Gabbard, a "Pandora’s Box" could be opened.
"Once the state gives approval to that idea or world view, all sexual desires would have to be recognized and approved, not discriminated against," he says. "This would undercut the entire concept of morality, which is the basis for civilization."
Though founder and chairman, Gabbard says that he is neither paid nor supported by ATM, though he does "call the shots."
Indeed, he implements ATM’s agenda. Gabbard and his supporters were instrumental in targeting key legislators seen as gay-friendly. To that end, Senate Judiciary Chair Rey Graulty lost his seat in November 1996, as did House Representatives Len Pepper, Devon Nekoba and Jim Shon.
"It was at this time that Gabbard really came onto the scene," says Honolulu attorney Dan Foley, who represents three same-sex couples who first filed for marriage rights in 1991. "He pinpointed certain election districts with mass mailings, because these people opposed his views on gays."
Foley believes the ’96 election was a turning point, not only for the same-sex marriage issue but Gabbard’s public profile.
Gabbard’s successful targeting certainly drew the attention of state politicians.
"He’s dogmatic, hardworking and methodical in his approach," comments state Senator Matt Matsunaga. "He represents a segment of the population that is fearful of something they just don’t know, afraid if gays had similar rights as nongays. His point of view — that homosexuality is provably wrong — well, if you believe that, then everything [he does] follows logically."
Matsunaga calls Gabbard "the X-factor" in the 1998 same-sex ballot initiative.
"He motivated his followers to go out there, hold signs, to vote ‘Yes,’" Matsunaga explains. The senator expects Gabbard to play a role in the legislative debate over reciprocal benefits this year.
Gabbard was initially quiet as the ’98 campaign developed, letting others, like STM ’98’s Jennifer Diesman and Linda Rosehill, do most of the talking (Rosehill runs a Honolulu PR firm, while Diesman recently left the same firm to work for Hawai‘i Medical Service Association). Father Marc Alexander of Sacred Hearts Parish also emerged as an outspoken critic.
By September, however, Gabbard was the chief figure in the battle. Featured in an hour-long debate with Alexander against POC’s Jackie Young and Ku‘u Gomes, Hawai‘i television viewers tuned in to a heated exchange of diametrically opposed positions. When he suggested to Gomes that she could actually change her sexual orientation — Gomes is a lesbian — he illustrated the great divide that separates Hawai‘i citizens who cannot seem to reach common ground.
A massive advertising campaign by both sides intensified the issue. By election night, it was Gabbard who emerged triumphant.
"I told the media that night, ‘Shame on you, Mike Gabbard,’ because I deplore the kind of politics where the ends justify the means," says POC’s Young. "He’s a zealot who thinks that he has a mandate, as if he himself was elected last November. He does not want to support anything that honors somebody else’s differences — in this case, sexual orientation."
But Gabbard categorized the same-sex marriage ban as a victory for democracy, demonstrating that the system works.
"What I’ve noticed is that homosexual activists talk down to people," he says. "They don’t respect the feelings of the people in this community. ... Homosexual marriage advocates were calling us bigots, uneducated, gay-bashers, stupid, backward, or haters. ... People were pissed off at being compared to Nazis, with the images of internment camps of Japanese Americans.
"The view of most people in Hawai‘i is that we tolerate homosexual relationships as long as they do not force us to give our approval to it," Gabbard concludes. "The tolerance is already there."

Force of Nature
Gabbard says his religious and intellectual understanding of the "true nature" of homosexuality motivates him to fight and defeat the "homosexual agenda." But some critics wonder if there is more to Mike Gabbard than Hinduism.
"I don’t know what drives him," says attorney Foley, "but he seems obsessed with homosexuality. I’ve never seen anything quite like it." Foley adds that he thinks Gabbard has peaked in influence, and that this influence will gradually decline.
Carolyn Golojuch, president of the Hawai‘i chapter of Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, is perplexed by Gabbard’s commitment as well. She sat in on a radio program during a call-in show last August. When Golojuch (nee Martinez), who is Hispanic, linked racial discrimination with sexual-orientation discrimination, Gabbard forcefully objected on air.
"He is so angry," Golojuch says of Gabbard. "There’s something behind him that we just don’t know about. Why else would he devote his life to denying human rights to a segment of our population?"
Others do not see anger or mystery in Gabbard, however. Richard Fried, a Honolulu trial lawyer, who’s played tennis with Gabbard for 15 years, calls Gabbard "the fairest person I know. … Yes, he’s competitive, but he’s really rather quiet, even mellow. He’s not the wild, raving madman that is sometimes depicted in the media."
Another friend, attorney Jim Hochberg, says Gabbard has more integrity than any of his opponents.
"This is a man who put his family’s socio-economic status on the line to speak out on what he feels is right," says Hochberg, who was one of two dissenting members of Governor Ben Cayetano’s 1995 seven-member Commission on Sexual Orientation and the Law. The commission’s majority report determined that sexual orientation was worthy of equal protection under the law in regards to marriage benefits.
"The media makes him out to be a bogey man, but this simply isn’t true. He has so much compassion for people who choose a gay lifestyle."
Hochberg essentially agrees with his friend’s views on homosexuality, though, unlike Gabbard, he is open to consideration of benefits for domestic partners.
"Mike knows his views are correct," says Hochberg. "He’s worked through the issues, all the research, and made a careful determination. This is a man who believes what he says."
Though weary of the time and energy he has spent in his campaigns against homosexuality, Gabbard would not appear to be ending his crusade anytime soon. Cayetano’s statement in his December inaugural that he would seek to establish domestic partnerships is Gabbard’s next battleground.
"If Gov. Cayetano tries to push the equivalent of same-sex marriage down the throats of the people of Hawai‘i, disguising it as domestic partnerships or whatever, he and legislators who support him will find themselves politically in hot water. … Marriage and families are the bedrock of civilization," he observes. "Government and society show their appreciation for the nuclear family and relatives by offering them special benefits."
Yet when half of all Hawai‘i’s marriages end in divorce, the "special position" of marriage is certainly suspect.
Additionally, as many as half of Hawai‘i voters — the same ones that oppose gay marriage — have also told pollsters that unmarried partners, same-sex included, should be permitted reciprocal benefits.
From Gabbard’s perspective, however, benefits constitute societal acceptance of homosexuality.
"Why is Cayetano pushing for a new [domestic partnership] law, instead of sticking with the [reciprocal benefits] statute? … Because he wants to give special recognition to homosexual couples. He wants to designate a new law that is exclusively for homosexual couples," Gabbard says. "By doing so, he and his homosexual activist supporters will achieve their goal — social approval of homosexual relationships."
Are abortion rights next? Many religious groups, including Hindus, also detest abortion. Some Hawai‘i activists fear that the Nov. 3 vote set a dangerous precedent.
"This is only the beginning," says Jackie Young, pointing to Christian Right groups that have long targeted abortion.
Gabbard claims to have no interest in other agendas, and says he would like to have more time for a personal life: "spending time with my family, playing music, surfing, playing tennis and teaching meditation and bhakti-yoga." He also brushes off queries into possible personal explanations for his views on homosexuality.
He does, however, offer a perspective on enemies who would analyze his motives.
"Some frustrated homosexual activists and their allies in the media ... are saying that those who are fighting against the social approval of homosexual behavior are doing so because they are closet homosexuals or … they have homosexual tendencies, and they’re trying to repress them," he says.
His response? By this reasoning, "those who are the most anti-Mike Gabbard, in fact, in the core of their hearts … really want to be like me."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dabcult ()
Date: June 26, 2012 05:56AM

WOW Vera you gave me material to post for weeks on CIVIL BEAT and other places ...great research

in Atheist interesting link
A little story of how 7000 copies of the HONOLULU weekly where STOLEN ..when a negative article on BUTLER cult appeared was release in the paper .

He is a freak and a criminal ..... MR UNIVERS ...crazy meglomeniac and anyone still pouring money in that cult very brainwash.

Date: June 26, 2012 06:56AM

Vera City's posting of the article "The Gospel According to Mike Gabbard" accidently includes much duplication and is overly long thus causing problems with the web page loading. Please remove the duplications. Thank you.

I have sent an email to the Editors of Honolulu Weekly complaining of their censorship in removing this imporatnt piece on Hawaii politics.

Date: June 26, 2012 08:46AM

dabcult,
this info came from atheist.
The stealing of papers could easily have been done by followers upon Butler's orders as are the complaints on the internet against unfavorable reports. IMO.
Here is the other article atheist found [my comments are in brackets] :

Who is Mike Gabbard?
RONNA BOLANTE
HONOLULU Magazine

It's hard not to like Mike Gabbard, once you meet the guy. In June, the city councilman hosted a talk-story meeting at the Wai'anae Public Library. These get-togethers have been monthly rituals for Gabbard since he was elected to represent the Wai'anae-to-'Ewa district in 2002.
On this drizzly evening, Gabbard looks every bit the city councilman with aspirations for congressional office. Tan, lean, with silvered hair, he wears a navy blue blazer with an American flag pin fastened to one lapel, tan slacks, polished brown loafers and a kukui nut lei, an accessory he dons regularly on these occasions. He sits on one of a dozen plastic chairs configured into a U-shape in this otherwise empty room.
Tonight's topic of discussion: Wai'anae's ice problem. Gabbard gives an update on PA'I, People Against Ice, a community group that has organized neighborhood patrols, picketed a local store selling drug paraphernalia and worked with police to identify drug houses.
"This is a good start, but ice is a huge problem," Gabbard tells them. "Like homelessness-we have 1,500 people without homes on our coast. These problems aren't gonna be solved overnight."
Attendees are welcome to talk about other community issues, too. They do. Wai'anae's lack of affordable housing. Illegal dumping. Traffic. For two hours, Gabbard listens to their concerns, their solutions (even the not-so-practical ones) and diligently takes notes on a piece of paper propped in his lap. He gives thoughtful and articulate answers. No exaggerations, no unrealistic promises, no impassioned speeches.
This is not the Mike Gabbard most Hawai'i residents got to know in the late '90s. Many remember Gabbard best as the antagonistic leader of the movement to quash same-sex marriage in Hawai'i. As founder of the Alliance for Traditional Marriage and Values, a political action committee, Gabbard helped wage an expensive media campaign to convince voters that gay marriage would devastate Hawai'i.
Today, Gabbard's public persona is much mellower. Of course, for the past two years, Gabbard has only had to deal with property taxes, pot holes and police raises. Pretty tame stuff, compared with the controversy he tackled in the '90s.

Others have noticed the contrast, as well. "Before I met Mike, I thought he'd be a different person," says fellow council member Gary Okino. "I thought this would be an extreme guy who hates homosexuals, but I was flabbergasted, because he's so personable. I took a liking to him really quickly. I think he's been unfairly tagged."
After a single two-year term on the City Council, Gabbard is running for Hawai'i's 2nd Congressional District. He faces incumbent Ed Case, a Hilo-born Democrat finishing his first full term in the U.S. House. Case, a self-proclaimed fiscal conservative and social liberal, opposed the '98 amendment that would define marriage in Hawai'i as between a man and woman. He now opposes the Federal Marriage Amendment, which would have the same effect nationally.
It's a big leap from the Honolulu City Council to Washington. But don't count Gabbard out of this election, says Ira Rohter, a political science professor at the University of Hawai'i and co-chair of Hawai'i's Green Party.
"I think it's going to be a surprisingly strong race," Rohter says. "Although Gabbard is most notorious for his anti-gay activities and campaign, he covers himself by talking about a lot of other issues-education, protecting aquifers, landfills, raising money for the Bruddah Iz statue. One can ask the question, 'How come he won the council seat in Wai'anae?'"
Gabbard is one of the most intriguing, if not controversial, local candidates this election year. He's a man of contradictions.
Most candidates want media attention. But while Gabbard appeared more than accommodating at this Wai'anae get-together (he even got up to serve cookies to the group) [presumable PRASHADAM - food offered to Krishna] , HONOLULU Magazine had a tough time scheduling a meeting, even after he agreed to one.
We're not the only ones. In May, Gabbard's Congressional campaign announced that he would only respond to media questions via e-mail. "Mike is extremely busy juggling his campaigning with his service on the City Council as well as his small business and his personal life," the memo explained. Most people expect public officials to be, well, more public. Gabbard can't even be reached by phone.
In accordance with his memo, we e-mailed him a list of questions for the profile. Before replying, Gabbard sent several e-mails over two weeks: "What subject matters or allegations or statements about me are you asking me to respond to or are you thinking of publishing or pursuing?"
Hoping to meet Gabbard in person, we attended his two talk-story sessions in June-one in Kapolei, one in Wai'anae. He left immediately after ending the meetings, saying he had other obligations.
Gabbard has made an art out of being evasive with reporters. It's understandable that he's wary of the media. Google "Mike Gabbard," and you'll find no shortage of unflattering stories. Then again, it could be he doesn't want to answer questions he doesn't like, especially those concerning his ties to a Hare Krishna splinter group that gave rise to a number of political candidates over the past 30 years. Maybe those questions are especially touchy in an election season, when much of his political support comes from Christian conservatives.
Gabbard was born in Samoa in 1948, one of eight children in a military family. The Gabbards relocated to Hawai'i when he was a child. He received a bachelor's in English from Sonoma State University and a master's in community college administration from Oregon State.
In the late '70s, he worked as head tennis pro at Kuilima Hyatt Resort (now Turtle Bay Resort). From 1980 to 1983, he was a dean at American Samoa Community College before moving back to Hawai'i with his family. Gabbard and his wife, Carol, established a small private school in Wahiawä, which closed after five years. [This was a strictly Butler school. On this forum there is a transcript of Butler's talk to Gabbard on how children should be educated. They used Chris Butler's writings as text books and had daily chanting in school.] The couple home-schooled all their five children. In the late 1980s, the Gabbards, opened the Natural Deli, a vegetarian restaurant within Mö'ili'ili's Down to Earth Natural Food Store. [Under the direction of Butler] Today, he distributes air and water purifying systems and nutritional supplements and owns a small confection company.
Gabbard became an anti-homosexual activist before the same-sex marriage debate really took hold in Hawai'i. In the early '90s, he founded an educational nonprofit called Stop Promoting Homosexuality and bought airtime at local radio station KGU for a show called Let's Talk Straight Hawai'i.
When HONOLULU interviewed Gabbard in 1992, he told the magazine, "Homosexuality is not normal, not healthy, morally and scripturally wrong." At the time, he also suggested that the repeal of sodomy laws across the country in the '60s and the American Psychiatric Association's decision in the '70s that homosexuality was normal and not a mental illness, led directly to the AIDS epidemic of the '80s. [see Butler's tract on homosexuality on this forum - Gabbard based his policy making on this work]
Many gays considered the radio show outright gay bashing. Gabbard managed to keep the show until he said on air that, confronted with two equally qualified job applicants, one gay, one straight, he'd take the straight one. Gay rights activists picketed his deli, and Down to Earth eventually bought out Gabbard's business. The station pulled the plug on his radio program.
That didn't stop Gabbard. By the time Hawai'i residents got to vote on a constitutional amendment in 1998, he had become the face and voice of the effort to "save traditional marriage."
"Marriage between a man and a woman is the foundation of family and therefore civilization itself," Gabbard tells HONOLULU Magazine, via e-mail. "Marriage is also the foundation of so many other issues and problems we face, be they education, crime, small business, etc."
During the 1998 campaign, Gabbard gave more dire reasons to bar same-sex marriage. It would normalize homosexuality, a behavior that he argued was no more natural than marrying a house pet. It would give way to legalizing polygamy and incest. It would scare off tourists, except the gay ones, who would flock to the Islands to marry. It would hurt children.
Gabbard wasn't alone. He aligned himself with conservative groups and churches for various denominations, which donated more than $1 million toward the fight. These are the supporters Gabbard is likely to count on this congressional election, says Rohter.
"I think his win for the Wai'anae council seat had a lot do with very conservative churches," says Rohter. "In rural O'ahu and on the Neighbor Islands, churches are often the only common threads for a lot of communities. Although Gabbard lives on O'ahu, I think he's going to extend his support to these churches on the Neighbor Islands."
As nonprofits, churches cannot endorse candidates or parties. [As reported by former Butler followers, Butler privately endorses his candidates and that his Science of Identity Foundation or other Butler front organizations provide the man power for door to door, internet, phone and other outreach campaigns. They bake the cookies and set up the tables for community meetings, etc. It is considered "devotional service". They all contribute and vote in line with Butler's directives.] But they can distribute candidate surveys, showing where each candidate stands on certain issues, including same-sex marriage and abortion. The Hawai'i Christian Coalition, which includes about 100 member churches, publishes such voter guides each election year. The coalition's Web site, www.hi-christian.com, provides a link to Gabbard's campaign Web site. Gabbard's own Web site informs churches what political activities are acceptable for them under federal law.
"There is a lot of quiet support for Gabbard within this community," says Gary Langley, senior pastor at the Windward Worship Center, a Pentecostal church in Kane'ohe. "We're a small church, just about 100 people, but there are the megachurches-New Hope, Word of Life-with thousands of people. In Gabbard's campaign, I think people hear the same things that they are taught in church."
Understandably, the public has lumped Gabbard into America's growing number of conservative politicians. His social views do veer accordingly to the right. But is he Christian right?
Gabbard himself says he is Catholic. He attends Catholic services regularly at a church in his district. He talks about growing up Catholic and how, at age 14, he entered a seminary, intending to become a priest. He changed his mind, he says, because "I wasn't as spiritually mature as I thought I was."
Those who've worked with Gabbard assume he is Catholic. "We play golf together, and he talks about his Catholic beliefs and God a lot, more than he talks about the issue of same-sex marriage," says fellow council member Okino, who is Catholic. "I've attended mass with him, and he takes communion."
But Gabbard had strong ties to an obscure Hare Krishna splinter group that, in the late 1970s, fielded several political candidates. The splinter group was founded by a Hawai'i homegrown guru named Chris Butler. Butler was a disciple of A.C. Bahkitevedanta Swami Prabhupad, who founded the International Society of Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). ISKCON is the high-visibility sect whose orange robes, shaved heads, public begging and chanting are what most people think of when they hear the term Hare Krishna.
Butler eventually broke away from ISKCON, criticizing the regimen and centralization of ISKCON life. He formed his own organization, which has had several names: Hare Name Society, Identity Institute and the Science of Identity Foundation. What started as a small religious sect on Maui in the 1970s developed a following that, according to some estimates, includes tens of thousands of people all over the world.
Butler's followers chant, practice vegetarianism and Bhakti yoga and must refrain from intoxicants and "illicit sex," or all sexual contact except between married couples at the most fertile time of the month. Unlike ISKCON members who beg publicly, Butler's "other Krishnas" tend to support themselves by creating their own businesses.
Many of Butler's associates made headlines in the 1976 election when they created a party called Independents for Godly Government. As its name implied, the group insisted on rigorous moral standards for its candidates. They could accept only half their allowed salaries and distribute the other half to the people they represented, accept no gifts from special interests, commit no crimes and abstain from intoxication and illicit sex. The party fielded several serious contenders for office, including Kathy Hoshijo, who took 17 percent of the votes in the race for Congress, and Wayne Nishiki, the current Maui councilman, who won 20 percent in a three-man race for mayor.
The party's links to Butler and Krishna went unacknowledged until 1977, when Walter Wright of The Honolulu Advertiser did an investigative report on the group, which Hoshijo labeled a "smear attempt." [It was no smear. It was the truth and revealed every candidate's Krishna names. It did stymie their campaigns and probably led to their losses. Now Butler's influence has become much more secretive.]

In the '80s and '90s, Butler appeared in a series of locally filmed shows, titled Jagad Guru Speaks, in which he sermonized on spirituality. In one episode, titled "Is God Really Loveable?" Butler mocks the Bible and the Christian interpretation of God, calling them nonsensical. "These Christians don't know God," Butler says. His comments summon laughs and nods of agreement from the room full of listeners. Mike and Carol Gabbard are shown sitting just a few feet away from the charismatic guru, laughing along with the audience.

Gabbard's wife served as secretary/treasurer of the Science of Identity Foundation until 2000, before she successfully ran for a seat on the state Board of Education. Both Gabbard and his wife were listed as teachers at the Science of Identity Foundation in Polk's City Directory in the early 1990s.
In the late '80s and early '90s, both Gabbards worked as staffers in the office of then Maui state Sen. Rick Reed. A controversial figure himself, Reed has acknowledged Butler as his "spiritual adviser."
Reed mounted short-lived campaigns for both Congress and the lieutenant governorship in 1986. He then ran for U.S. Senate against Daniel Inouye in 1992, setting off a scandal when he publicized claims that Inouye had sexually molested a Honolulu hairdresser named Lenore Kwock.
All five of Gabbard's children have Hindu names: Bhakti, Jai, Aryan, Tulsi and Vrindavan (Hinduism is the root of the Hare Krishna religion). The Gabbards' Natural Deli was housed in Down to Earth, which was then owned and managed by Butler followers.

No one questions Gabbard's right to believe as he chooses. Some may even applaud him for his religious beliefs. However, some voters may worry about his former ties to a Krishna sect. Especially when members and associates of that group have mounted repeated attempts at high public office. [And are apparently in lock step behind every campaign, including Tulsi's with donations, andother support. IMO it is the height of deception on Tulsi's part to hide behind this groups agenda. We smell many skunks Tulsi! Exers on this forum watched you grow up in the cult, witnessed your father getting directives from Butler for years, saw your father lead kirtans and bow on the floor to this guru of the universe. There is a transcript of Butler's orders to your father Tulsi . The school you attended in the Phillipines is a Butlerite school. Why need to lie unless you are covering up your own stink!?]

When HONOLULU asked Gabbard in an e-mail to clarify his former relationship with Butler's Krishna group, Gabbard's daughter, state Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo, sent us an angry e-mail in response. "I smell a skunk," Tamayo wrote. "It's clear to me that you're acting as a conduit for The Honolulu Weekly and other homosexual extremist supporters of Ed Case."
"For many people, he's an unidentified character," says Rohter. "All they'll see is a good-looking, charming guy who can play the guitar."
Do you like what you read?
Subscribe to HONOLULU Magazine

Date: June 26, 2012 09:49AM

Here is a talk on education by Chris Butler from 1984. Krishna Katha and many of the cult kids were in attendance. Mike Gabbard aka Krishna Katha das was running a "devotee school" at the time. No where in the media has it ever been mentioned what was really taught there. They used Butler's writings as text books and practiced mantra meditation specific to the Butler cult. This is how Tulsi Gabbard was raised. Her brother Bhaki das is directly addressed by Butler in this transcript. Gabbard speaks of his Science of Identity class at the school. Butler speaks a lot about politics in this talk.

It is also an example of how Butler manipulates his followers with his simplistic straw man arguments. It is the ultimate hipocracy on Butler's part talking about the unimportance of money while he is raking in millions. All of his communiques to his followers that I have procured from this decade are primarily rants about him not getting enough money out of his disciples.

Posted by: atheist ()
Date: June 26, 2012 02:16PM

Vera City
Mike Gabbard aka Krishna Katha das was running a "devotee school" at the time [1984].

Is that "devotee school" the Ponomauloa School in Wahiawa that Mike Gabbard lists on his Biographical Sketch of Mike Gabbard ?

What great information, Vera City. Thanks for posting it and the Honolulu Weekly and Honolulu Magazine articles about Krishna Katha das.

Posted by: atheist ()
Date: June 26, 2012 02:53PM

This is still online What’s Wrong with Our Politicians

Vera City
Butler has pursued his political interests over four decades, telling his followers that one of them will eventually be president of the United States. To date he has succeeded in having a disciple on every level of Hawaiian government. Quote Source

Jagad Guru Chris Butler's Political Agenda - In his own words

What's Wrong with Our Politicians

A point-by-point analysis of the problem and a positive program for change.

(edited from a pamphlet by His Holiness Siddhasvarupa Ananda Gosvami)

"These are just a few reasons why a materialistic person is unqualified to be a leader of society..."

To say that most politicians are incompetent, and in many cases downright dishonest, isn't very controversial. We've all read about their blunders, their tricks, and their schemes. So the aim of this article is not to give proof of their failure to bring about world peace and prosperity; it is rather to show that the root cause of their incompetence is selfish materialism, and that the remedy is the re-spiritualization of society through the worldwide propagation of Krsna consciousness.

The following are some of the reasons why a self-centered materialist is incapable of bringing about a peaceful and harmonious world society:

He has no sense of spiritual brotherhood.

The materialistic leader can never bring harmony to society because he fails to see the spiritual unity of all mankind. Preoccupied with superficial distinctions such as race, class, or nationality, he cannot understand that all living beings are his brothers, being children of God, the Supreme Father. As Lord Krsna puts it in the Bhagavad-gita (4.35)

And when you have thus learned the truth, you will know that all living beings are but part of Me, and that they are in Me and are Mine.

He has a one-sided view of life.

Instead of using his influence to bring about social conditions favorable for both spiritual as well as economic development, the materialist considers economic development to be the all in all. Thus he promotes the creation of an artificial environment that is far from peaceful, contemplative, or healthful. Devoid of spiritual culture, the people become alienated from God, nature, and each other. And the more alienated and materialistic the people get, the more frustrated, angry, and bewildered they become. Thus a materialistic leader takes the people on a "progressive" march to a hellish existence.

He's ambitious and self-serving.

The materialistic politico, having neglected the spiritual side of life, is never satiated in his drive for power and position. Since his number one consideration is his own political advancement, he continually campaigns for office, and after winning the election, he's afraid of being removed from his seat. He is so preoccupied with the fear of losing his job, status, power, and wealth that this fear itself—not love, or actual concern for the people—is the primary motivation for his activities. Materialistic leaders are merely merchants, trading empty promises for votes, and the people naturally distrust them. Everyone knows that a sly merchant must be watched very carefully: even when offering a "good bargain," he ultimately has his own bank balance in mind.

He's always disturbed and often irrational.

Because the materialistic politician is not at peace with himself, he cannot help others find peace, either individually or collectively. Unable to realize all his political ambitions, he is often subject to deep inner frustration, which may cause him to behave irrationally. A person in such a disturbed state of mind cannot have the clear intelligence needed to solve today's complex problems. Even if his mind is razor-sharp, his decisions will never be clear if his heart is infected with selfish desires. A crooked politician may be intellectually astute, but an envious person with a sharp mind is like a poisonous snake with a beautiful jewel on its forehead. The snake is still dangerous, despite its fancy ornaments.

His perception is blurred.

Due to the pressures of power, many of today's leaders try to forget their miseries by dimming their awareness with intoxicants like alcohol, amphetamines, caffeine, and nicotine. A recent article in the Los Angeles Times revealed that the highest rate of alcoholism in the United States is in Washington, D. C., and in Washington, D. C., the area most affected is Georgetown, the suburb where most U. S. senators and congressmen live. A true leader sharpens his awareness; he doesn't blur it with a haze of intoxication.

He neglects God's laws.

Today's politicians are too busy wheeling and dealing to pay much attention to the laws of God. As Lord Krsna explains in the Bhagavad-gita (3.21):

Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues."

A good leader must be an ideal example for the people to admire and try to follow. If he is able to set the standard of perfect behavior, then the people will naturally be inclined to follow. Therefore he must obey God's laws and possess godly qualities himself. Of course, many politicians go to church and publicly declare their piety. A person is known, however, not by his words, but by his deeds. Certain qualities must be present in a worthy leader, and certain ones must be absent. For instance, a spiritually enlightened leader is free from lust, anger, and greed. Although strong in his determination, he is gentle, compassionate, and ready to respect others. Above all, he actually follows God's laws; he doesn't simply proclaim himself to be pious and then act sinfully beyond the range of the TV cameras.

These are just a few reasons why a materialistic person is unqualified to be a leader of society. The list is endless, but they all point to the same conclusion: a materialistic politician, devoid of spiritual knowledge and ignorant of the goal of life, can never help bring about world peace and prosperity. Since the problem stems from ignorance, the obvious solution is education. Unfortunately, present-day educational institutions provide no information about our spiritual nature and our relationship with God. In a recent conversation with Dr. Thomas J. Hopkins of Franklin and Marshall College, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada expanded on this theme:

"People want material gain because they have no spiritual information. If I take care of my shirt very nicely, but I do not care for the person inside the shirt, then what is my position? Similarly, this whole material world is busy taking care of the body, not the soul inside the body. Therefore all these so-called educational institutions are blind. It is a society of the blind leading the blind. The solution is first of all to understand that you are spirit. Then find out what is your relationship with God and act accordingly."

This, then, is the goal of human life. As long as we ignore our relationship with God and remain caught up in the pursuit of material wealth and physical comforts alone, we will always find ourselves alienated, confused, and anxious about the future. World peace and prosperity do not depend upon more sophisticated weaponry or increased productivity, but on the widespread propagation of genuine spiritual knowledge.

This knowledge can be easily acquired through the practice of bhakti-yoga, especially the hearing and chanting of the holy names of God. The result of chanting the name of the Lord is that the heart of the chanter becomes cleansed, and he sees his true spiritual identity as an eternal servant of God. God has many names, and they are given in the various scriptures of the world. Different names refer to His different attractive features: Jehovah means all-powerful, Allah means all-compassionate, and so on. The name Krsna, however, means all-attractive and thus contains all other names of God within it. Therefore the Hare Krsna mantra—Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare—is especially purifying and can rapidly awaken our consciousness of God.

Of course, it is not possible to present even an adequate summary of the sublime process of bhakti-yoga in a few short pages. The inquisitive reader is referred to the works of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. In his books, especially the Bhagavad-gita As It Is, the Srimad-Bhagavatam, and the Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, he has presented a crystal-clear picture of the bhakti-yoga process.

By reading these books and chanting the holy names of God, the people of the world can become spiritually strengthened and convinced of the need for genuine spiritual leadership. Then, when the time comes to choose their leaders, they will naturally select a person with the qualities necessary to guide human society on the path back to home, back to Godhead.

From Back to Godhead, published by ISKCON volume 11 no. 2 1976

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 02:59PM by atheist.

Date: June 26, 2012 07:25PM

atheist
Vera City
Mike Gabbard aka Krishna Katha das was running a "devotee school" at the time [1984].

Is that "devotee school" the Ponomauloa School in Wahiawa that Mike Gabbard lists on his Biographical Sketch of Mike Gabbard ?

What great information, Vera City. Thanks for posting it and the Honolulu Weekly and Honolulu Magazine articles about Krishna Katha das.

Yes, the Ponomauloa School in Wahiawa was the school Butler was talking about in the transcript I posted. (This memo came from an initiated ex follower. Only the initiated received these types of memos.)

In the beginning Mike Gabbard wanted to open the school up to local kids. Chris Butler shot this idea down hard. He wanted it to be be for cult kids only as the "karmi kids" (non-devotee) would contaminate the others. The school was not financially viable because parents were so busy "serving" Butler that no one could affort the tuition. I also think that Gabbard was trying to keep his children close to his nest and not have to send them away to the school in the Phillipines, which did not have a good reputation. Katyayani's boys (Kathy Hoshijo) came back with stories of abuse and unhappy times. Gabbard had no interest in politics at this time. He and his wife were educators and good ones had they not bowed under to Butler's commands. It is reported by several exers that Nishiki, Reed, Hoshijo, and Gabbard had no interest in political careers prior to their involvement with Butler. You can see from the transcript on education how much politics meant to Butler and how he was already eying the next generation of political pawns. In my opinion...

Date: June 26, 2012 07:41PM

Sounds like Butler wrote his own autobiography here... His description of the self-serving materialist/politician fits him hand in glove...IMHO...

atheist
This is still online What’s Wrong with Our Politicians

Jagad Guru Chris Butler's Political Agenda - In his own words

What's Wrong with Our Politicians

A point-by-point analysis of the problem and a positive program for change.

(edited from a pamphlet by His Holiness Siddhasvarupa Ananda Gosvami)

"These are just a few reasons why a materialistic person is unqualified to be a leader of society..."

The following are some of the reasons why a self-centered materialist is incapable of bringing about a peaceful and harmonious world society:

He has no sense of spiritual brotherhood.

He has a one-sided view of life.

He's ambitious and self-serving.

He's always disturbed and often irrational.

His perception is blurred.

He neglects God's laws.

A person is known, however, not by his words, but by his deeds. Certain qualities must be present in a worthy leader, and certain ones must be absent. For instance, a spiritually enlightened leader is free from lust, anger, and greed. Although strong in his determination, he is gentle, compassionate, and ready to respect others.

As long as we ignore our relationship with God and remain caught up in the pursuit of material wealth and physical comforts alone, we will always find ourselves alienated, confused, and anxious about the future.

From Back to Godhead, published by ISKCON volume 11 no. 2 1976

Posted by: dharmabum ()
Date: June 27, 2012 03:19AM

The view of "our relationship with God" get skewed oftentimes by self-righteousness and becomes an excuse to lord over others as in the case of Chris Butler and his minions. Where's the gentleness, compassion and respect to others there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 03:22AM by dharmabum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.