Advise on helping a friend
Posted by: jayseal ()
Date: March 11, 2004 02:03AM

A close friend of mine is involved with Odyssey Study Group and I don't know how to reach him.

From what I gather, this is a very secretive and smart group. I just don't know whether showing him the information on Rick Ross' site along with former members' comments would help. Apparently, this group has influenced their members to break up relationships, if they feel that there could be a potential problem with friends, spouses, etc. asking questions.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Harriet ()
Date: March 16, 2004 12:19PM

Dear Jay,

As a person who was completely taken in by a cult for years, I have some ideas for you. While under their influence, it was difficult for me to see clearly objective information such as that on Rick Ross' site. However, I think it would be worthwhile to at least show him the information and state your concern. Especially helpful is the section on his site about Lifton's book on Mind Control.

Observing other cult members in the cult where I lived (looking back) I noticed that those who were the farthest gone from reality and the least likely to leave were those who either 1) had no contact with family and friends or 2) had family and friends who never criticized the cult for fear of ostracizing their loved one, i.e. "shined them on."

It is absolutely essential that you speak your mind!!! My parents and friends never ever approved of me being in the cult and they never ever stopped contacting me even when I discouraged it. If your friend is still living on their own, I would spend as much time with him as possible, just doing normal things like you would always do. Occasionally let him know your concerns, but have regular times of just fun bonding too so he doesn't lose touch with friends outside the group.

He might push you away and the cult may encourage him to separate from non-members. You have to be persistent and not take it personally. It is like an alternate personality is set up and that personality might try to push you away. But your friend's true personality is still there and that is what you should try to reach.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 16, 2004 09:23PM

years ago, a woman who had been in Elizabeth Clare Prophet's cult (Church Universal and Triumphant--they were the ones building underground shelters near Yellowstone Park so they could survive armageddon)--she told us how her family had assisted her in waking up. Her account follows the lines of Harriet's advise.

Her family shared their concern, but not to the point of making her feel defensive--a fine line. Key thing is her family stayed in contact with her--its called 'keeping the porchlight on.'

Our friend broke her leg working on one of the cults projects. The cult did not want to spend money taking care of an ailing member and sent her home to recuperate.

Her family loved her, looked after her and because she was on crutches and could only hobble about, sat with her and played lots of games of Scrabble--something that they'd done for years.

Our friend confessed that it was during all those games of Scrabble that she began to realize that for the first time since she'd joined the cult, she was happy, she was having fun, she didnt have to be on her guard all the time--and it all felt wonderful.

She did not return to the Church Universal and Triumphant.

You might tell your pal, 'If you ever get really sick and need some extra looking after, you can come stay with me until you're better.'
(Dont do this unless you're prepared to follow through)

Many people in cults are terrified that if they leave, their only option is a homeless shelter. If they know that if they have a place to escape to, that can make all the difference.

Problem with Gurdjeiff groups (both real ones and bogus ones like Odyssey) is that they operate from a very perncious doctrine that devalues ordinary human life--and it especially devalues 'fun.'

According to the Gurjieffian diagnosis of the human conditions, humans are 'asleep'--meat machines. There is nothing in a human being that is inherantly worthy of dignity and respect--except some essence, some potential. But according to this grim doctrine (which is often downplayed or concealed from newcomers or from outsiders), humans have no soul and can only develop one through a very strenuous process of 'work', and that the more someone works to develop and refine this soul, the more contrary forces kick in to sabotage that work.

So the person in such group will consider himself an elite being, as having a soul that the rest of us do not have, and will be dependant on the guidance of a teacher who has reached a much higher level of development. To leave (or be ejected) from the group is to lose one's chances of dignity and immortality.

In his early days as cultmeister in the 1970s, Alex Horn would kick people out and tell them that they'd live lives of failure and 'die like dogs.'

People who leave or are ejected from Renaissance/Apollo, a spin off of Alex Horn's group have been told that they will lose their 'magnetic center'/aka soul, that if they leave or are kicked out, the teacher will retain custody of it!

When a group devalues ordinary human happiness, when a group devalues fun, its the most toxic thing there is.

When your friends get out, never ever underestimate the power of these implanted fears.

To help your friend in Odyssey read up on what Gurdjieff taught supposedly happened to people who did NOT do Gurdjieff work. Supposedly if you didnt work to refine your soul, according to one version of his doctrine, your body was absorbed back into the physical universe or became 'food for the moon.'

Sounds crazy to an outsider but once youve been indoctrinated, its deadly serious.

If your pal can find out he is sick and tired of seriousness and wants to learn to play again, that will increase his chances of getting out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.