Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Mel Gibson's Passion Play/Blood Feast
Posted by: Larryjames ()
Date: March 11, 2004 04:24AM

1. I can not speak for Mel Gibson, except for the fact that he rated the movie R-rated, for a reason. (A child needs, among things, to be taught by well-informed and loving parents, teachers (role models). Since children’s tender minds are still developing, they may not be able to sift through what they see to properly understand the big picture.). However, that does not mean that, because children cannot see a certain image we must forget history. And, history records that Jesus was indeed crucified. How does one describe being crucified?

2. Regarding intent, the viewer, we assume is a knowledgeable person. (I assume Mel Gibson wanted to enlighten those people who did not realize how much pain Jesus endured for what He believed in).

3. Let us also not forget Jesus’ message, also portrayed in the movie: To forgive others, even those that hurt you. Jesus willingly forgives those that were physically (and emotionally) torturing him. He said: “Father forgive them!” That is the ultimate message of love for all humans, regardless of race, creed or social standing.

So, even though the movie is violent, it's message is about non-violence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: March 11, 2004 10:10PM

How much attention is paid to Christ's resurrection in the movie?

Posted by: Larryjames ()
Date: March 11, 2004 10:53PM

Let us hope for a sequel to this movie.

Posted by: LaughingWillow ()
Date: September 19, 2004 02:03PM

I have a major pet pieve with this movie

....ultra consertative christian pastors will shun someone for watching "Jason goes to Hell" or some other horror flick but presure people to view thier savior being mutilated in epic timing. At least Jason's victims were dead in minutes! This is not a faith booster but a brainwasher.

people keep presuring me to watch this movie...and the more they pressure me the more I refuse.

From what I heard that movie is just weird

Posted by: YellowBeard ()
Date: September 20, 2004 06:42AM

[i:d0f15e8614]The Passion of the Christ[/i:d0f15e8614] is rentable now (at least in the U.S.). I finally watched it recently. South Park's spoof on it, [i:d0f15e8614]The Passion of the Jew[/i:d0f15e8614] was timed to be released at the same time, which has some pretty funny moments. I'd describe some, but it's funniest when the viewer doesn't know what to expect. So I'll keep my trap shut. It's short (just as long as an ordinary South Park episode), but is definitely worth catching, and it comes with 2 other religiously themed episodes.

There is one unintentionally comical part in Mel Gibson's [i:d0f15e8614]Passion[/i:d0f15e8614]. Jesus is shown in a scene where he appears to be inventing the table and chair. I was watching it with a family member and we just started busting up at that scene. Needless to say, Jesus did not invent the table and chair. Perhaps that's not what Gibson was trying to convey, but it did come across that way.

I doubt the human body holds as much blood as we see Jesus losing, let alone could someone remain conscious or even live through the process that we see Jesus go through up to the crucifixion. The shock value starts to lose it's effect (in my opinion) after the amount of blood squirting all over the place starts to become grossly unrealistic. The blood drawing culminates when Jesus is on the cross -- we see him stuck with a spear and a fountain of blood pours down -- it looks like it's literally being sprayed out with a garden house.

A lot of people have parroted the statement that the movie incites hatred toward Jewish people. But we need to stop for a second and think this through a little. Jesus was Jewish! This was an internal conflict, how can anyone blame the Jews for killing a Jew! It's absurd. I know people like to think that Jesus was born and raised in Alabama, but the fact of the matter is that Jesus was a radical Rabbi that started his own sect of Judaism called Christianity where he proclaimed himself to be God (as most cult leaders do).

Let me use an example (not a very good one, but one with mild amusement value). For those familiar with the sitcom TV series "The Dukes of Hazzard" (1979-1985), let's say the good 'ol boys Luke and Bo Duke (the guys that ride around in the 1969 Dodge Charger "General Lee") that never did any harm, finally did do some harm, and on a violent rampage (with Daisy Duke joining in) killed the corrupt local politician Boss Hog. Now wouldn't it be absurd if Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane went into a fit complaining that "white people" killed Boss Hog? The statement would be true, but it would be ridiculous because Boss Hog was just as white as Daisy and the Good 'ol Boys. There would have been no racial motivation in the slaying.

It's no less ridiculous to say that Jesus was killed by Jewish people since Jesus was Jewish himself. There was no racial motivation whatsoever in the slaying of Jesus.

While I don't care for the film, [i:d0f15e8614]The Passion[/i:d0f15e8614], I don't see Mel Gibson promoting the idea that Jewish people as a whole were to blame for Jesus's death. There's enough wrong with the movie where people don't need to parrot that fallacious statement to find something wrong with it.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.