The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Altar_Kent ()
Date: February 23, 2004 03:11PM

Is anyone familiar with this movement? It is based in Kalona Iowa at a camp/compound called Shiloh. IT is primarily located in the United states, but also has churches in Brazil and japan. It was founded by John Robert Stevens and first called the walk. Stevens came out of the Latter Rain movement, built quite a congregation, and then died in 1983. The Living word Fellowship is currently being run by Gary and Marilyn Hargrave.

IF you are familiar with it, there is an ongoing discussion about it at

[www.factnet.org]

I would like to get a discussion going concerning this movement and its destructive teachings and abusive practices. If anyone is familiar with it, please post.

Thank you

Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: mirgildea ()
Date: October 05, 2008 01:18PM

yes. My family was in it in Grand Junction and Anaheim. They left when I was six. I just posted a bunch about it... I hope it's up.

M

Posted by: Rickto ()
Date: October 03, 2010 08:19PM

I just found this site last year. Saw many postings from about 2000 to 2008. I was involved with Church of the living Word for about 14 years in Aurora, ILL until 1992. I was looking to make contact with an user called joncambelljr, who I once knew some.

Posted by: elcato223 ()
Date: May 02, 2013 07:24AM

I grew up in this church. My family were members from 1959 until 1980. When it started out as Grace Chapel in Bellflower, CA Bro. Stevens was an amazing man with an amazing word. Ego and Lord knows what else got in his way and he went completely off-road with his teachings. I can actually recall him praying for his wife's death with Martha Stevens sitting in her usual place in the Sepulveda church. We didn't know at the time that his affair with Marilyn was in full swing.
My mom had been sent to Shiloh to set up their purchasing department. While there, she witnessed something between JRS and Marilyn and her plane ticket was taken from her and she was basically held hostage. It was only when she became ill and was hospitalized that my sister, dad and I got her physician here to have her transferred to a local hospital in SoCal.
He helped hide pedophiles, mafia members, criminals, Yoko Ono's daughter by a previous marriage (who had been nabbed by her biological father and not returned. Google Kyoko Cox), and fathered several children via his "comcubine" in the "Kling House".
It's crazy stuff. I look back at it as "my time in the cult". My sister and I laugh about it now; my friends are fascinated by it and I'm just glad I made it out half-way normal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.