Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
The Rick Ross Hour
Posted by: f0rTyLeGz ()
Date: July 14, 2007 05:32AM

Hope
Jon Stewart of The Daily Show, on Comedy Central, would be great, too.
Yes that would be great too!

There are so many people in cults, and whose lives have been touched by them, but still we NEVER see anything on the 60minutes type shows. DateLine has made a whole comeback for NBC with their repetitious show on pedophiles. We all know that Scientologists have made numerous wacky public statements about psychiatry and psychiatric drugs, and now there is this violent psychotic murder. Yet I seen them recruiting in the local malls... no one bats an eyelash. If Benny Hinn can be "investigated," why can't the Hubbardites? And the equipment just gets better and better.

What about the Moonies? They really have made it stick.

In SYDA yoga, the guru, guru Mayi has gone (missing). She's been gone for years. There is a fascinating story there for sure. She lived really well, and that cult was loaded with cash and property. The center isn't holding there... trust me.

I think much of the reason the newsmakers don't touch cults is because they are firstly about magical thinking. And there is a part of most of us who accept magic as real, and want the debate to stop right there.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Rick Ross Hour
Posted by: snookie ()
Date: July 15, 2007 06:15PM

Wow that would be crazy! Rick would become a celebrity! Hearing people's personal stories of the groups they were in and have experienced would be really interesting - I would tune in. I would love to hear the stories of some ex-alquida. Thanks for this forum Rick - freedom of speech is very liberating.

The Rick Ross Hour
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: July 17, 2007 06:50AM

Freedom of speech is very liberating. Within the constraints of the television industry I wonder how that concept is defined. Too many editors and spin doctors running about like headless chickens. There have been examples of 'solid' television, but, at the end of the day, it's just a play of light and sound ...

The Rick Ross Hour
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: July 17, 2007 07:00AM

This kind of (anticult) work is better left semi-underground and behind the scenes IMHO. It's a grassroots, word-of-mouth networking thing. I am not comfortable with an anticult TV show...seems to me that putting too much of a spotlight on certain groups and individuals could be dangerous and therefore counterproductive. You can't do an hour, once a week on something like this without glossing over a lot.

Basically, I think that the Internet is a far more potent tool for exposing destructive groups than TV could ever be.

We don't want to make it like "America's Most Wanted" for cults and RR like John Walsh. I wouldn't watch that, that'd be lame.

The Rick Ross Hour
Posted by: Vic-Luc ()
Date: August 06, 2007 02:23AM

...then the Rick Ross Hour would be a refreshing alternative. And besides, you can actually talk about real stuff and not be involved in entrapement or coercement that the Dateline show has.

I wouldn't be surprised if Comedy Central bankrolled it, either.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.