Free movie--JESUS CAMP
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: June 12, 2007 11:36AM

Free movie--JESUS CAMP
Date: June 24, 2007 01:26PM

Did anybody watch this documentary, and what are your thoughts?

Free movie--JESUS CAMP
Posted by: RollieBollocks ()
Date: June 30, 2007 03:33AM

There is a certain sort perverted form of love, that seeks to turn others into its own reflection. Charlie Manson is a prime case of this, but that conquering Catholics were another and certainly as a strategy of *conquering* it becomes an effective device to replace the language of the conquered with the conqueror's language.

Quite frankly the Evangelicals terrify me more than anyone segmented off at the fringe. There tactics of indoctrination are indeed cultish, and merely because there are more of them we refuse to assign the 'cult' label to them.

This symptom of our inability to define properly more than anything else, because by their own language, they are engaged in a war against anyone *who is not identical to them*.

Psychologists use the term 'patholigical narcissism' to describe this.

Rb

Free movie--JESUS CAMP
Posted by: Fishbulb ()
Date: June 30, 2007 10:08AM

I started to but I have been up to my eyeballs in university studies 'til this morning and didn't have a spare hour and a half to watch. I will this summer though. It did look good. I was sucked into an evangelical cult as a preteen so I have a special interest in them.

Free movie--JESUS CAMP
Posted by: dwest ()
Date: July 06, 2007 12:36AM

Fishbulb
I started to but I have been up to my eyeballs in university studies 'til this morning and didn't have a spare hour and a half to watch. I will this summer though. It did look good. I was sucked into an evangelical cult as a preteen so I have a special interest in them.

Same here. I started it the day before my classes and I haven't had a chance to get back to it. What I have seen was very, very good though. I hope to get back to it this weekend.

Free movie--JESUS CAMP
Date: July 06, 2007 12:44AM

Personally, my feelings about this movie were mixed. But mostly I felt fear (about their theocratic agenda) and pity (for those kids).

Watch the movie. Very thought-provoking.

Re: Free movie--JESUS CAMP
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 04, 2008 02:45PM

Finally got to see this movie on DVD.
This was unbearably painful to watch at times, profound level of childhood emotional abuse in the name of a religious ideology.

Its interesting to watch it and take the specific religion out of it, and just look at the techniques.
It could be Xenu Camp, it could be any set of beliefs. Its interesting just to watch the techniques.

They are using typical revival methods, and use a hodgepodge of techniques, and also have taken some techniques from some LGAT seminars that they picked up somewhere. Probably at a seminar on how to do seminars.

Pushing young kids into extreme emotional states.

This is a movie about child indocrination, but it also applies to adults.
Anyone interested in anything along the lines of cults need to watch this movie.
Even though they are very crude in their methods, it does show that even crude techniques can work very well indeed.
Heartbreaking and disturbing, but required viewing.

PS:
of course its also important to look at the methods used by political opponents in the film.
And on a meta-level, the techniques used by the filmmakers themselves.
So there is at least 3 levels of persuasion to be examined.
The difference with the kids, is that is immersive total indocrination, very similar to the LGAT format of intensive emotional exposure over a 2 week period, and then using media for follow-ups. On top of that many of them are home-schooled, so its a complete indocrination system.

Here are 2 other threads here about this JESUS CAMP.

New Movie "Jesus Camp"
[forum.culteducation.com]

Jesus Camp???
[forum.culteducation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 03:13PM by The Anticult.

Re: Free movie--JESUS CAMP - Ted Haggard, Becky Fischer
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 04, 2008 03:23PM

On a side note, the Christian charismatic LGAT style "preacher" Ted Haggard in the movie is raging against homosexuality by day, and buying gay sex by night, as everyone learned later.
This is typical LGAT leader hypocritical behavior, but sadly many people don't seem to want to see what's in fairly plain sight.

Its also VERY interesting in the radio interview in the movie, Becky Fischer [en.wikipedia.org] does admit to "indocrinating" the kids, and her excuse is that the other religions do it. She then uses the term BRAINWASHING, when talking about what others might call it.

Any fool can see that Becky Fischer knows quite a bit about "brainwashing", even though she does it in a crude manner, yet it still works on kids, and also adults.

On a much broader perspective, there are many LGAT leaders who are 50x more sophisticated than this lady, and yet many people just seem to simply refuse to see it, or can't yet see it.
It boggles the mind, for example, that so many people just cannot or refuse to see someone like Byron Katie who is literally doing many of the exact same techniques, just at a much higher level of the art form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 03:39PM by The Anticult.

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: July 07, 2008 08:13AM

Thanks for the link. I own this movie but have wanted to share it with so many people but worried I won't get my DVD back. Now I don't have to worry about it!

Posted by: Nina ()
Date: July 26, 2008 11:35AM

I have watched this and I can honestly saw - as a horror movie buff who's seen all the classics from the 1920's to the 1990's - this is without exception

the most frightening film I have ever seen in my film - and it's not fiction

the fanatical dogma, the racism, the irony is overwhelming

that little girl at the end who dismissed those black men as Muslims despite their telling her they were Xtians....

you just know she's gonna either become a disillusioned murderer or a victim of one.

the willful ignorance of the mom homeschooling her son

it was mouth dropped open in absolute disbelief for me - I am an atheist and I tend to think the worst of xtians and even I was not prepared for this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.