Cults resorting to subterfuge against established religion a
Posted by: Dervish ()
Date: February 05, 2004 06:51AM

Greetings,

Is there any significant record of destructive cults going to places like catholic churches, jewish synogogues, etc. to disturb people and make some attempt to get them to come to their cult? If so, what countermeasures were taken, and are there any laws against this? Thanks for any help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Claire ()
Date: February 18, 2004 12:06PM

Cults often try to appear innocuous. I know that many bible-based cults recruit at churches and other Christian spots - such as discussion boards. Right now a cult called Sound Doctrine, located in Enumclaw, Washington is planning to hold a conference called "New Wineskins." Several ex-members and those who are aware of the nature of this group have e-mailed the people they are renting the facility from.

I warn leaders of discussion boards when I see cult recruiters. Sometimes they tell me they cannot do anything until the recruiter makes their move. What do you think? I don't know what else to do. I forward them evidence. By the time they reveal their hand, often the damage is already done.

Posted by: sarahsplight ()
Date: March 11, 2004 11:19PM

Was just browsing.

Unfortunately, cults rarely come across as being "destructive". They seem great. That is why people are attracted to them. One of them, that I know of, is the Kabbalah center in New York, apparently a jewish cult. They promise happiness but ONLY if you give the Kabbalah center large sums of money. "Give money to the Kabbalah center till it hurts" is their philosophy. Anyone who gives the Center money is "spiritual" in their eyes. They even make you do menial tasks for them and say it is for your own good.

Posted by: Cowgirl ()
Date: April 02, 2004 09:33AM

test

Posted by: Cowgirl ()
Date: April 03, 2004 03:16AM

Originally posted by Claire I warn leaders of discussion boards when I see cult recruiters. Sometimes they tell me they cannot do anything until the recruiter makes their move. What do you think? I don't know what else to do. I forward them evidence. By the time they reveal their hand, often the damage is already done. [/B]

Exactly. I'm glad to see there are others who have encountered this problem as well on discussion boards. This is the reason I myself came to this site; very often moderators/site owners, etc. don't take the problem seriously enough until there is some proof, but I don't know what they're looking for exactly. The recruiter's tactics are very subtle.

I don't know if I should say this (Rick, I'll let you decide whether to delete) - but I posed as a confused, rebellious young person, angry with her parents and actually got a bite from one of these recruiters with respect to joining a commune. However, the moderator deleted the entire thread almost immediately, and I now have no evidence! This is on another forum whose name I don't want to give and I'm still working on it. I guess I'll have to make copies of my posts from now on. :(

Posted by: Claire ()
Date: April 03, 2004 05:18AM

Be sure to archive the posts. I know some people who have posted on cult boards, and have been attacked rather nastily, and then the thread disappears.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.