Bahai'i
Posted by: Dogmother ()
Date: March 03, 2007 02:39AM

Does anyone feel that there is cultish behavior in the Bahai'i religion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Bahai'i
Posted by: matilda ()
Date: March 03, 2007 03:48AM

Some say that the five defining characteristics of a destructive cult are : 1.) a leader demanding total authority, 2.) the use of "controlling" techniques, 3.) social and physical isolation, 4.) extreme or fanatical behavior, and 5.) secrecy and deception. A critical examination of the Bahai Faith would probably show that it does not display many, if any, of these characteristics, although it appears to have gone through a period of rather zealous outreach in some areas.
However, having said that, it is wise to be vigilant in any faith. Labels really mean very little. A number of destructive cults have developed from and even within mainstream religions. Have a look at Steve Hassan's Bite model here [www.freedomofmind.com]

Bahai'i
Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: March 04, 2007 12:40PM

matilda
A number of destructive cults have developed from and even within mainstream religions.

This is correct. For example, in the Catholic Church, there are several powerful cults within it: Opus Dei, Regnum Christi (Legion of Christ), Communion & Liberation, Focolare and Neocatechumenate. Within Judiaism, several ultra-orthadox sects, settler groups and Jews for Jesus are cultic. Within Islam, there are groups like al-Qaeda and the Nation of Islam. Within Hinduism, there is the BJP and Hare Krishnas.

Cults are a universal part of the human experience; no religion is immune.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.