Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Spiritual Fatherhood
Posted by: GatorPE ()
Date: November 11, 2003 09:53AM

I generally am appalled at the prevalence of a doctrine entitled "Spiritual Fatherhood" that does not cause a major outcry from Christians throughout the United States.

This doctrine asserts that "God's" only model for church government is based on a father-son principle, where the church is the "house", the lead pastor is the "spiritual father" and the associate pastors and members "spiritual sons and daughters".
All this is explained in horrific detail in the book entitled, "You Have Not Many Fathers" by Dr. Mark Handby, with forward by none other than T.D. Jakes.

In this doctrine, all churches that do not operate on the "father to son" principle are illigetimate, and the members of those churches are "spiritual orphans or bastards". I am not making this up. To escape this curse, the Christian must position him or her self below the spiritual father with the same level of trust as Issac had on the altar before Abraham (can you say "unconditional"). It is only after this occurs that God's anointing will flow into the disciple, who is destined to bear the same image, and spiritual "genetic code" as the father. The last catch is that this will only work when the children give honor to their father, in the form of money. Spiritual "sons" who are sent out to start their own ministries must tithe back to their father (can you say "pyramid scheme"). It makes me upset that we have sunk so low as members of Christ's mystical Body that we would allow such wolf-like teaches to go so unchallenged.

I have posted articles on my site at [www.cyberscripture.com] if you would like more information, including quotes from the referenced book, on spiritual fatherhood. I have even wrote a fictional book that weaves into the storyline the natural flow of this error 25 years from now and its scary consequences. Please join forces with me and let us put a stop to the widespread abuse of the lambs that is occurring right under our noses under the banner of "Spiritual Fatherhood".

Options: ReplyQuote
Spiritual Fatherhood
Posted by: HaigLaw ()
Date: November 20, 2003 10:34PM

:( I was disappointed to see negative articles about Morning Star International and Champions for Christ here.

I have been an elder, teacher, multi-media team facilitator, life-group leader and VLI Director at a Morning Star Church since 1991 (even before Morning Star was officially founded), and I find the negative insinuations against them unfounded.

During those years, I've attended many services and conferences with leaders criticized such as Greg Ball, Russ Austin, Rice Broocks, Greg Feste and others, and have been blessed by their teaching, leadership and other ministry.

Morning Star and Champions for Christ stand for sharing Christ as Lord, discipleship, raising up leaders and planting churches worldwide.

Discipleship involves mentoring and nurturing, not control-freaking. It has been my observation that some who reject Christ's Lordship also reject submission to anyone with Christ's Body and criticize mentoring and nurturing as "control-freaking," when that is not the case. So I think Lordship is the issue here.

Spiritual Fatherhood
Posted by: GatorPE ()
Date: November 21, 2003 10:13PM

Haiglaw:

I don't understand your reply. I said nothing about Morningstar with my post on spiritual fatherhood. However, if Rice or Greg or anyone else there teaches that nonsense, I would appreciate hearing from you on that. By the way, I spent almost 10 years in Maranatha and my underatanding was that Rice helped bring an end to that controlling organization. I would hope that Rice would not repeat the error by falling into this subsersive doctrine.

Now, let me explain things in a way you can grasp hold of it. If you stood on a platform with sparkling credentials and spoke 99 days straight completely right on, but on the last day said "Now I believe that you can't come to Christ except through me", what would I think of that? What would I think of your ministry? The answer of course is that I would think you are a wolf or a lunatic, and all the good preceding that statement goes out the window because your falsehood is so egregious. Right? Unless you renounced that statement as false, I would be foolhardy to be taken in by any more of your "good" because your true heart is exposed.

Now under the banner of Spiritual Fatherhood, the following assertions have been made:

Unless a ministry is set up according to a father-son principle, the ministry is illegitimate and its members are spiritual orphans or bastards.

Unless a person is positioned below their spiritual father, the anointing of God is shut off from their life.

A spiritual child must place the same degree of trust in their spiritual father as Issac did before Abraham as he lay on the altar.

Until spiritual sons start honoring their fathers with their wealth, God's curse will remain on our land and revival will be withheld.

Haiglaw, which of the above statements would you place your hands on in order to feed me? If you see the error behind them then you will share my perspective on the Spiritual Fatherhood teaching.

Hint: There is no defending these statements at any level.

Spiritual Fatherhood
Posted by: Claire ()
Date: November 22, 2003 02:53PM

T.D. Jakes is UPC, and I assume the other person you mentioned is also. This just sounds like a repackaging of heavy shepherding.
I understand TD Jakes if seeking to mainstream so must have made at least some cosmetic changes - because that is what they usually are.

In any case, a father-son relationship can only succeed if love, respect and trust are foundational and growing. The relationship between Jesus and the Father giving us the example as to the perfect father-son relationship.

Spiritual Fatherhood
Posted by: HaigLaw ()
Date: November 23, 2003 12:23PM

I wouldn't subscribe to any of the principles of "Spiritual Fathering" you cited, nor do I know any Morning Star leaders who do.

I posted here because it seemed the closest subject to what I was concerned with, and that is the negative statements on this web site about Morning Star, Greg Ball, Russ Austin & Greg Feste as possibly being cultic.

I've been a Christian serious student of the Bible and systematic theology and the Reformed Faith for 35 years and have some passing familiarity with cults and don't think Morning Star meets any of the accepted tests for a cult.

I think it is highly irresponsible for people to suggest groups are cults unless they have some solid basis for such suggestion.

Again, I am not arguing with you or defending Spiritual FAthering. My beef is irresponsible suggestions that Morning Star or its leaders are cultic.

Have a nice day.

Spiritual Fatherhood
Posted by: vicnetwork ()
Date: March 18, 2004 04:33PM

WHERE THERE IS SMOKE, THERE IS FIRE…….. IN MORNINGSTAR!

To GatorPE. You stated that, “I generally am appalled at the prevalence of a doctrine entitled "Spiritual Fatherhood" that does not cause a major outcry from Christians throughout the United States. This doctrine asserts that "God's" only model for church government is based on a father-son principle, where the church is the "house"; the lead pastor is the "spiritual father" and the associate pastors and members "spiritual sons and daughters".
All this is explained in horrific detail in the book entitled, "You Have Not Many Fathers" by Dr. Mark Handby.”

I was a National Leader in Morningstar International for over 22 years, dating back to its roots with Maranatha Campus ministries (Maranatha exploded apart in 1989 over abuse of authority). I was fired (August, 2002) for standing up against their authoritarian views and for demanding that a number of men be held accountable for the damage they inflicted on hundreds. I totally concur with your bewilderment of HaigLaw’s response to your excellent post when you said…

“I don't understand your reply. I said nothing about Morningstar with my post on spiritual fatherhood. However, if Rice or Greg or anyone else there teaches that nonsense, I would appreciate hearing from you on that. By the way, I spent almost 10 years in Maranatha and my understanding was that Rice helped bring an end to that controlling organization. I would hope that Rice would not repeat the error by falling into this subversive doctrine.”

Your “Church Fathering Fallacy”, unknowingly stirred up HaigLaw and must of hit too close to home. He witnessed against Morningstar himself by bringing them into the mix of what you stated.

HaigLaw said, “I have been an elder, teacher, multi-media team facilitator, life-group leader and VLI Director at a Morning Star Church since 1991 (even before Morning Star was officially founded), and I find the negative insinuations against them unfounded. During those years, I've attended many services and conferences with leaders criticized such as Greg Ball, Russ Austin, Rice Broocks, Greg Feste and others, and have been blessed by their teaching, leadership and other ministry. Morning Star and Champions for Christ stand for sharing Christ as Lord, discipleship, raising up leaders and planting churches worldwide. Discipleship involves mentoring and nurturing, not control-freaking. It has been my observation that some who reject Christ's Lordship also reject submission to anyone with Christ's Body and criticize mentoring and nurturing as "control-freaking," when that is not the case. So I think Lordship is the issue here. I've been a Christian serious student of the Bible and systematic theology and the Reformed Faith for 35 years and have some passing familiarity with cults and don't think Morning Star meets any of the accepted tests for a cult.
I think it is highly irresponsible for people to suggest groups are cults unless they have some solid basis for such suggestion.”

Not to toot my own horn but lend credibility to my observances I need to let you know a little about myself. I was one of the original founding leaders and football team chaplains at the University of Southern California from 1982-1990. I was internationally regarded by top leaders such as Rice Broocks (Whom my son is named after) as one of the best evangelist Morningstar had. On MSI’s website under 2010 initiative & The 5 Fold Ministry, it was stated……
“In the beginning of a new church, the ministry of the evangelist is vital to help birth the new life. In the history of our ministry, many successes have been the result of the evangelist breaking open a difficult campus or city. These workers must be encouraged, supported and most of all, released into the harvest field. As the 2010 Initiative unfolds, the evangelists will be the front line warriors that crack open new territory. Men like Franco Gennaro and Tom Sirotnak.”

I received a Lifetime Achievement Award by Victory Campus Ministry for my fruitfulness on college campuses worldwide. I was known as having led many of the top leaders of MSI to the Lord and was instrumental in the vision, policies and procedures that not only shaped MSI but VCM and Champions For Christ. Even MSI’s North American Apostle (I use the title with skepticism), Phil

Spiritual Fatherhood
Date: March 18, 2004 04:34PM

Bonasso, once bragged, “Big Tommy, You articulate our (MSI) patterns and principles even better than I.” I know these guys! And I am sad to say, many leaders in Morningstar, VCM, and CFC have all been guilty of repeating Marnatha’s authority/ discipleship errors of the past or if they themselves have not, they much of the time are guilty of not investigating individual incidents when they do occur. So many just turn a blind eye to the fact for the sake of personal friendships or just plain fear of questioning “authority.” How do I know? I was one of the biggest legalistic leaders that there ever was in Morningstar’s history! I was also very arrogant towards other church groups such as Lutherans, Calvary Chapel, Hope Chapel, and the Baptist (Ironically, since then, I have had two Men’s books published by Broadman & Holman who are the Baptist publishing arm). That airy elitism is still very much alive within the MSI structure. I can’t tell you how many “outside” Pastors have referred to this attitude. All you have to do is attend one of their World Conferences where you will hear statements charging the flock to “Become more like MSI” touted above “Become more like Jesus.”
MSI also rants “Every Nation in My Generation.” MSI preaches a world vision yet for the most part, eliminates the rest of the Body Of Christ from taking a viable part; At least in their minds. The error of MSI will not be found in their doctrine. This is why guys like HaigLaw cannot see why people judge this group and then sluff off the problem to the opposing individual by accusing them with a “lack of Lordship.” I know, because this is exactly how I would defend Maranatha years ago! The error of MSI stems from their application of such doctrines as Apostolic Authority, Discipleship, Church Covering, Consequences for Breaking Covenant, and Submission. And in these matters, the casualty list is huge!

As one former MSI disciple summed up her experiences with the groups leaders; “The five-fold ministry was never meant to be exalted or worshipped. Jesus is the ONLY head of the church. TRUE spiritual authority NEVER exalts itself above Christ or others. It never demands to be honored or esteemed as Christ. It never demands obedience to itself or agendas. TRUE spiritual authority exalts JESUS not themselves. Jesus never forced anyone to follow himself.” I have learned a HUGE lesson in all of this. I realize now that for many years I was in idolatry. I chose that. I have repented.
MSI came in and reinforced that because of their teachings or applications thereof. I watched my pastor's demeanor change entire from a loving shepherd to an authoritarian guru. Sadly, it affected not only him, but the undershepherds as well. I watched as an anointed young worship pastor and his wife change into "the Christian Cops", always on the lookout for "sin and rebellion" in others. Any unsubmission to leadership advice coming them (especially her) is considered rebellion or divisivness.
Many have been wounded because of her callous comments. In my opinion, MSI has contributed greatly to the unhealthy condition at my former church.”

There are hundreds of other leaders through out the MSI movement that realize full well what is going on but they are scared to death to voice their opinion. Many lamely hide behind the cover up excuse, "well, no church is perfect" or "well, we are changing." Let me tell you how long I have heard those comments. 20 years!
The hard part of this is that MSI is o.k. on its' doctrine for the most part, so there is not much in writing. Where they are grossly at fault, is in their application of discipleship and twisted views of authority.
Morning Star International prides themselves on being a spiritual family. They are family all right, but they are more like the Mafia family than the family of God. This veiw of "family" has a twisted concept from the very birth of MSI. I was there! It came in this philosophy..... " The mission (MSI) births relationships", instead of "relationships birth the Mission.
Or, let me put it more simply. " As long as you are sold out to our mission, we are in relationship." This manifest in the attitude that "you must Pay $90 per course of VLI." "You must be a World Partner and give above your tithe." You must submit your calling to the elders and it better fit in our cookie cutter mold of ministry or else you’re out! (I am being a little sarcastic)....... (But not too far from what I have seen in a dozen incidents.)

The facts remain that if you question MSI apostolic authority or their actions and relationship is easily disposable. I have close friends from two decades of ministry, most of them I led to the Lord and as you said, “Fathered” in their faith, who won't even associate with me or my family.

In our San Diego church where I was Being set in as the Head Pastor, after my removal for being bitter and rebellious, The Associate who took over, admonished the congregation to ……

Spiritual Fatherhood
Date: March 18, 2004 04:35PM

"Have nothing to do with this so called Brother- not to even eat with one such as I."

One of the worst things ever said to me was when Rice Broocks told me "I was full of demons and needed John Roar to cast them out of my wife and I." He went on to state, " You have a bitter and rebellious spirit and everything you do will come to ruin because of your bitter and rebellious spirit." He then added, "Go on and try to start up a church in Orange County.... I will tell you the end of it; it will split in bitterness and rebellion. Your marriage will end in divorce because you’re bitter and rebellious. Your children will die in bitterness and rebellion, Tommy please don't do this to yourself." I was torn to shreds by the man who led me to Jesus, performed my wedding and whom we named our child after. Just when I figured it could not get any lower, Rice declared....."If Dr. Cole were alive today, (Dr Cole was like a grandpa to me & had died just one week earlier) he would implore you to not do this thing, repent and submit to your authority." That deeply hurt. Even more so due to the fact that Dr. Cole said a year earlier after witnessing how people he knew were treated, that guys like Phil Bonasso (my Pastor) were "control freaks".

To HaigLaw I close with this from a well known appologist Edward Dalcour the founder of The Dept. of Christian Defense who answers the question, “Is MSI a cult?”

I am the director of the Department of Christian Defense, an international apologetic ministry. I have researched and taught extensively in the area of cult evangelism and general Christian apologetics for the past fifteen years. At face, the term “cult” can be viewed as a pejorative term, to be sure, and there are several different meanings that a normal English Dictionary would provide.

However, from a theological point of view, the term “non-Christian cult” denotes a group that considers themselves “Christian,” but denies or rejects an aspect of essential biblical theology. For example, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Oneness Pentecostals all reject the biblical doctrine of the Trinity; Catholics reject justification through faith alone; etc. Hence, these groups would be classified as a theological non-Christian cult due to its denial of these essential doctrines (cf. John 8:24; 17:3; Gal. 1:6-9).

However, there is another category of “cult” that, unfortunately, many true Christian churches are regard as. This other category is known as a “sociological cult.” A “sociological cult” is a group that holds to essential biblical theology, but is in terms of leadership and organization, they are sociologically abusive and hold to a very unbiblical teaching of church authority.

Even though Morning Star International (hereafter MSI) does not fall under the category of non-Christian cult, theologically and sociologically MSI falls under the category of “sociological cult.” This should not be at all surprising since they stem out of Maranatha Ministries see: [www.culteducation.com]

The leadership of MSI consists of Rice Broocks, Phil Bonasso, and Steve Murrell, all whom are self-appointed Apostles, thus referring to themselves as the "Apostolic Board." Of course, the only church that I can think of that has a governing Board of so-called “Apostles” is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (i.e., the Mormons), which is called the "Quorum of the Apostles."
When leaders of groups insist that they are Apostles or as with MSI, an Apostolic Board, it creates an illusion in which they are seen by members as God’s infallible mouthpiece determining what is “best” for their devotees. Hence, the result is that members of these kinds of organizations fearfully submit unconditionally.

I have personally interfaced with the so-called Apostles (viz. Broocks and Bonasso) and many members of MSI. In evaluating official MSI literature, shown to me by a former leader, and hearing sermons throughout the years, I see a virtual exactness with the International Church of Christ (hereafter ICC; see my article: [christiandefense.org]) And both ICC and MSI utilize the same passages (e.g., Heb. 13:17; etc.) to teach that members should submit to God “delegated leaders” without question (i.e., their “covering”), although, they both read into these passages that which is clearly not there.

Also, they both hold to an unbiblical teaching of what discipleship is. Hence, both churches are filled with sheepish terrified members who would never dream of questioning the their “covering” that, according to the leadership, are God’s delegate authority.

Spiritual Fatherhood
Date: March 18, 2004 04:38PM

To maintain control, leaders of these Discipleship or "Authoritarian" movements, claim that the authority of the leaders is God-given or God-delegated. Thus, any disobedience to the leaders is direct disobedience to God. Thus, they emphasize heavy authority and relentless submission in the relationships between the leaders and ones under them.

Space precludes me to go into every aspect of teaching on key issues of Authoritarianism such as MSI’s biblically unbalanced doctrine on discipleship, submission, etc. that they rein over unassuming members. However, if you are a current member of MSI consider the following:

1. The New Testament does teach that church leaders are authoritative on issues of (i) directing church affairs (1 Tim. 3:5); (ii) teaching sound doctrine (2 Tim. 3:1-4); (iii) correcting those who sin and disciplinary action if they refuse to repent (Titus 3:10-11). In these cases, church authority exits. Thus, this kind of biblical authority will help (rather than obstruct) the Christian to submit to Christ.

2. Scripture indicates that the pastoral ministry is noticeably marked by a servants attitude, not a weighty emphasis on authority and submission (see Matt. 20:25-28; 2 Cor. 1:24; and esp. 1 Pet. 5:1-3).

3. Jesus Christ is the one Mediator between God and man, not church leadership, for they can err (1 Tim. 2:5). .

4. God, not man or a church leader, determines one’s destiny, (Ps. 139:16; Eph. 1:11; 2:10).

5. Scripture indicates that Christians should “obey God and not man” (Acts 5:29).

. Studying God’s Word will help the Christian develop a maturity to discern what God’s will is or is not for his or her life (Rom. 12:1-2; Eph. 5:8-10, 17).

7. The first and final authority--above all--is Scripture (2 Tim. 3:16; 1 Thess. 5:21).

Writing against the destructive construct of Witness Lee and the Local Church (a non-Christian and sociological cult), apologist E. Miller pointed out that “Leaders who put heavy emphasis on authority and submission typically seek to make themselves indispensable to others’ spiritual growth and well-being” (CRI Journal, part I, Spring ed. 1985, 15).

Because of MSI's over emphasis on submission and unconditional authority, which naturally flows from their roots: Maranatha, MSI is not a biblically based or exegetically sound organization. There are far too many churches that do not view members as “rebellious” merely for asking questions or pointing out theological error. Among the many, MSI is a typical Discipleship/Authoritarian movement that seeks to control and intimidate its members.

The Watchtower proclaimed: “If we have love for Jehovah and for the organization of his people we shall not be suspicious, but shall, as the Bible says, ‘believe all things,’ all the things that The Watchtower brings out. . . . ” (Qualified to be Ministers [WT pub.], 156). If you are involved with MSI, do let them destroy your hopes, dreams, and faith. For Scripture alone is the only sole infallible authority and rule of faith for the church—sola Scriptura.

Our ultimate freedom is in Christ.

Edward Dalcour
Director: Department of Christian Defense: [www.christiandefense.org]

To HaigLaw, I close by asking that you would research the facts, press in and ask questions about individual instances. Ask Rice Broocks, “why Tom Sirotnak is no longer with MSI.” Then after his explanation, ask if at anytime was my accusations researched. He would have to lie or be totally deceived to say they had. If you give me a call, I will give you names and phone numbers of individuals so that you can get the facts for yourself. Just write me at:
bigtommy@bigtommy.com

To GatorPE, I can only say thank you for your insight. MSI is definitely guilty of what you had spoken. MSI continuously speak of generational building and refer to the l+eaders as “Father’s in The Lord”. God Bless.
Tom Sirotnak

Spiritual Fatherhood
Posted by: Claire ()
Date: March 19, 2004 08:17AM

There is a MSI in San Marcos, north of San Diego, is that the one you are talking about?

I heard the leader preach once. He didn't seem to be saying much, as far as teaching from the scriptures, just doing a lot of his own talking.

Is your organization a counter-cult organization or aimed only at MSI?

The fatherhood doctrine has no basis in biblical practice. Anyway, we aren't to look at the body of believers as the world would a business organization, with a CEO, an authority flow chart, etc. We function and minister through living relationships. The older men and women are to act as fathers, mothers, older sisters and brothers to help the younger and less mature. That is all. Influence is won at the price of being willing to serve another person and sow into their life.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.